• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

I'm experiencing way mote bugs this second playthrough. When us the 360 patch bioware??? What have you been doing since the game went gold? Overpriced dlc?

I still liked the game though.

JoeBoy101

chase said:
So I think I'm near the end and
Fenris left after disagreeing with my decision, leaving me with Aveline for my tank. Aveline who hasn't been used since the beginning and who is still using the mace she had 20 levels ago. I hope some nonsensical weapon store pops up soon.

Actually,
I do believe you run into Sandal with Bodhan's store whilst fighting Templars. ALSO, before the last major battle sequences, you get another chance to try and talk Fenris back onto your side. And I have to say, when I saw the specific line my moral Hawke threw at him, I couldn't help exclaiming, 'Oh SNAP!'.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Relix said:
I don't know why but I am more compelled to finish many quests here than in Origins. How and why? No clue =P.

Because the story payoff is usually more rewarding + navigation is really easy. You always know what you've to do and where just by looking at the map.

Dave1988

Wow, turns out that Aveline's final armor upgrade is bugged and can't be obtained.

Bioware needs to fix this shit ASAP.

JoeBoy101

Dave1988 said:
Wow, turns out that Aveline's final armor upgrade is bugged and can't be obtained.

Game is bugged all to hell. Next to final boss battle bugged on me the first try. Had it lock up SEVEN times in one hour last night. Merrill's Act III quests. Other quests. Game is extremely buggy.

Darklord

Banned
Fuck sake! This game is pissing me off in combat. I'm in a cave and there are enemies way down below me, of course it triggers combat fucking prematurely. So what happens? Isabela runs off and fights all 50 of them while anders and aveline just stand there refusing to move or attack. So I switch to Anders and manually run him down there and what happens? While I'm using Anders, Hawke runs away from the fight and back up to the high point to stand there again. WTF.

subversus

how can you order a party member to STAY FUCKING PUT???? There was an icon in DA:O for that. Just returned from Deep Roads and want to write a hate letter to Bioware.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
subversus said:
how can you order a party member to STAY FUCKING PUT???? There was an icon in DA:O for that. Just returned from Deep Roads and want to write a hate letter to Bioware.

Press the 'H' key.

Owzers

I just want to say how much i hate mashing the A button to attack, i'm glad i rented this game instead of buying it. I know the fix is coming " when the best way to get it out to gamers is decided" and that's not good enough.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
On the PC version, it's an icon on the bottom left corner of the screen. Not sure about consoles.

Dragon-Age-2-Demo-HUD.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
subversus said:
Press the H key, but it applies to all party members.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Dave1988 said:

They have a LOT more to fix besides some buggy armor... like, for example, most of the game.

subversus

I romanced Isabella. It was the least awkward Bioware romance I've experienced.

I have a feeling I'll have to kill her down the line though.

Also I didn't have a clue that Blood Magic was so powerful. I should've taken it in DA:O, damn.

subversus said:
Also I didn't have a clue that Blood Magic was so powerful. I should've taken it in DA:O, damn.

Explain? I found it very weak. But if you have some pointers I'd love to hear it since I like the idea of blood magic but can't use it very effectively myself.

subversus said:
I romanced Isabella. It was the least awkward Bioware romance I've experienced.

I have a feeling I'll have to kill her down the line though.

I'm 6 hours into Act 2 and I romanced Merrill. But Isabella has really grown on me during this act, her interactions with Aveline's personal quest are priceless. I think that I'm going to reload my save from the beginning of the Act go for Isabella instead.

I said it before, but the individual characters in your part are DA2's best aspect. The Qunari are runner up.

subversus

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Explain? I found it very weak. But if you have some pointers I'd love to hear it since I like the idea of blood magic but can't use it very effectively myself.

Well, I buffed her constitution and now she has a very big pool for casting magic. Therefore she's a real pain in the ass and receives a lot of aggro. It's good because when enemies surround her I Ensnare them and drop a bomb to finish them all. This is a pretty powerful spell which not only knocks them down but takes away a lot of health.I just opened Wounds of the Past, so this might be useful too.

subversus

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Are you talking about Merril? I was referring to Blood Mage class specialization for Hawke. I don't remember any "bombs" or "ensnares" in that tree :/
Yes, I was talking about Merril.

And by bomb I meant combustion bomb, not magic.

RPGCrazied

I'm 22hours into this now. I'm wondering when ACT III starts. I just
gave the relic to Isabella, and seeing the vacount son die.

subversus said:

I maxed out the Merrill's primal tree and she's a fraking beast. Between her & Isabella, crowds of mobs are gone in an instant.

subversus said:

Combustion bomb? Is that something you get from The Herbalist quest or something? I didn't bother with those sorts of sidequests.

Vamphuntr

RPGCrazied said:

It starts soon.
After you beat the Arishok after he takes control of the city. If Isabella didn't like you enough she might be gone forever. If she liked you she will come back at the very end of ACT II

JoeBoy101

RPGCrazied said:

Huh, that's interesting. In mine, the
Viscount's son died first and the Arishok decapitates and kills the Viscount.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Hey, what a colossal waste with the Qunari Mage
Saarebas, why wasn't he a recruitable character? He was one of the few unique, interesting non-playable characters in the game. What a let down. Is there any way to save his life? He just set himself on fire.

Krispy Killa v3 said:
Saarebas, why wasn't he a recruitable character? He was one of the few unique, interesting non-playable characters in the game. What a let down. Is there any way to save his life? He just set himself on fire.

No, he lives by the Qun no matter what.

X-Frame

Krispy Killa v3 said:

Agree 1000%. BioWare missed a huge opportunity with him. First time playing I thought he would be a secret companion.

Personally, I would've traded a Qunari Mage for Anders. Don't like him in DA2, especially since he was the man in Awakening.

Jin

JoeBoy101 said:
Game is bugged all to hell. Next to final boss battle bugged on me the first try. Had it lock up SEVEN times in one hour last night. Merrill's Act III quests. Other quests. Game is extremely buggy.

You know what's really fun? Fighting
the high Dragon
and getting it's health down below 50%, then the game froze. Fun!

jackdoe

Darklord said:
Fuck sake! This game is pissing me off in combat. I'm in a cave and there are enemies way down below me, of course it triggers combat fucking prematurely. So what happens? Isabela runs off and fights all 50 of them while anders and aveline just stand there refusing to move or attack. So I switch to Anders and manually run him down there and what happens? While I'm using Anders, Hawke runs away from the fight and back up to the high point to stand there again. WTF.
Heh. I've had the glitch where a party member ran a lap around the arena at ultra high speed while I was in combat.

subversus

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Combustion bomb? Is that something you get from The Herbalist quest or something? I didn't bother with those sorts of sidequests.

lol you should've to. have you explored the Darktown? There's a dude who can make you a bomb or some poison. You need recipes and you find them on sidequests. Btw the herbalist quest isn't a simple fetch quest, it's tied with story and side missions. I mean, you'll find ingredients doing story and sidequests.

Reluctant-Hero said:
I maxed out the Merrill's primal tree and she's a fraking beast. Between her & Isabella, crowds of mobs are gone in an instant.

pretty much my setup.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I just realized something. There are literally no female dwarves in this game. Not anywhere. It's bizarre.

Einbroch

Banned
1. Use Merrill
2. Put points into Magic:Constitution at a 2:1 ratio.
3. Get Blood Magic abilties ASAP.
4. Equip blood magic conversion staves and accessories.
5. Learn Arcane Armor, Elemental Weapons, Rock Armor. Improve them to max effectiveness. Learn any other active auras you want, since MP means crap.
6. Have Anders with Panacea.
7. Laugh as you have 50% damage reduction, millions of HP, and spells that cost 2-5 HP, and health regen up the ass.

Merrill single-handedly won the game for me. Blood Magic is insane.

Einbroch said:
1. Use Merrill
2. Put points into Magic:Constitution at a 2:1 ratio.
3. Get Blood Magic abilties ASAP.
4. Equip blood magic conversion staves and accessories.
5. Learn Arcane Armor, Elemental Weapons, Rock Armor. Improve them to max effectiveness. Learn any other active auras you want, since MP means crap.
6. Have Anders with Panacea.
7. Laugh as you have 50% damage reduction, millions of HP, and spells that cost 2-5 HP, and health regen up the ass.

Merrill single-handedly won the game for me. Blood Magic is insane.

I keep wanting to play the game again just to try this out, but then I remember that I did not enjoy the game very much so I don't want to play it again anytime soon.

subversus

I wanted to romance Merril instead of Isabella, but flirt option never appeared in dialogues. I guess I needed to be more sarcactic/fun at the beginning.

Darklord

Banned
It's kind of sad because this game really does have some good stuff to it. Some of the quests are fun. The characters are good. The Quiari are great. The weapons and armour are miles better looking than DA:O. Basically ever aspect that feels rushed is holding it back. This game if given the time and effort could have been truly amazing.

I agree with the Qunari Mage comment too.

JoeBoy101

subversus said:
I wanted to romance Merril instead of Isabella, but flirt option never appeared in dialogues. I guess I needed to be more sarcactic/fun at the beginning.

You can't flirt with Merrill until late Act III. She requires a lot of patience.

It's kind of sad because this game really does have some good stuff to it. Some of the quests are fun. The characters are good. The Quiari are great. The weapons and armour are miles better looking than DA:O. Basically ever aspect that feels rushed is holding it back. This game if given the time and effort could have been truly amazing.

I agree with the Qunari Mage comment too.

Kinda how I felt. Another year in development would have made this game amazing. And agreed, Ketojan (Sarrebas is apparently the name of Qunari mages) should have replaced Anders.

subversus said:
Because the story payoff is usually more rewarding + navigation is really easy. You always know what you've to do and where just by looking at the map.

Yeah, I loved when I would find a random item in a dungeon, and then nonsensically my character knew who wanted it, and I'd return it to them, without any reason or explanation, get a handful of cash and the response, "Thanks, I've been looking for this." It totally invested me in the world of Thedas.

Ducarmel

JoeBoy101 said:
You can't flirt with Merrill until late Act III. She requires a lot of patience.

Kinda how I felt. Another year in development would have made this game amazing. And agreed, Ketojan (Sarrebas is apparently the name of Qunari mages) should have replaced Anders.
There is a point after you recruit Merril you have an option to say she is cute or something and another opportunity to give her a gift that can be bought by the elf merchant. Also being pro mag/pro blood magic helps, I got Merril in bed by act 2.

I don't see how any Qunari mage could ever be a companion, all your life you lived in a cage and obedience by the will of the Qun to just throw it all away. The only way I could see a Quanari mage being a companion is he was destined to be a Sten and he found out he could use magic and hid it from the rest of the Qunari. Even then that is stretch considering that a Sten would be taught to hunt and control mages amongst the Quanari. Or some Antaam orders a mage to be a companion for what ever reason.

Jarlaxle

JoeBoy101 said:
Yeah, I think you missed something because you can do this really early. The first time was mid to end of Act I and althroughout Act II. As others have mentioned, you can sleep with her by the end of Act II and complete the romance.

Top Bottom