• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Gvaz

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
I wish I was allowed to rewrite the rules and make irrational troll threads. :(

It's funny because everything so far has been a step backwards (for me it has anyways) from DA:O. I mean, sure I'm gonna pass judgement once the game comes out, but for now other than the combat it's like they forgot what was good about DA:O.

Almighty said:
Yes in my experience with them. Between me and my mom we have ordered probably a dozen or so things from Overstock and have had no problems.

Sweet, so shipping time is average? I was going to preorder at my Gamestop for the preorder bonuses, but if the signature edition is the same price, shit I'll go with that.

Skyebaron

Banned
It may be funny but this OT should be deleted. Just because people dont like the direction this game is going it dosent mean we need to just shit on it. Most of the impressions here about the game are based on the demo and not on the full game, which we know its not representative of the entire game. This is troll thread, a well fed one.

I AM JOHN! said:
I don't like the direction Bioware took with this sequel so I'M GOING TO POST FAKE PC SPECS TO MAKE THE GAME SEEM LIKE IT CAME OUT TWENTY YEARS AGO AND A COMIC SHOWING CONSOLE PEASANTS PISSING ALL OVER GLORIOUS MASTER RACE MEMBERS. THAT'LL SURE SHOW BIOWARE WHO'S BOSS!!!
ur rite i'm offended r u honestly saying that da2 runz on a pentium i porcesors/!?>?!

if the persona 5 thread was a bunch of humorous jabs about "here we go: animu underage dating sim 5: still the same summon models edition" nobody would complain

vocab

I AM JOHN! said:
I don't like the direction Bioware took with this sequel so I'M GOING TO POST FAKE PC SPECS TO MAKE THE GAME SEEM LIKE IT CAME OUT TWENTY YEARS AGO AND A COMIC SHOWING CONSOLE PEASANTS PISSING ALL OVER GLORIOUS MASTER RACE MEMBERS. THAT'LL SURE SHOW BIOWARE WHO'S BOSS!!!

You sure are showing Evilore who's boss.

Skyebaron said:
It may be funny but this OT should be deleted. Just because people dont like the direction this game is going it dosent mean we need to just shit on it. Most of the impressions here about the game are based on the demo and not on the full game, which we know its not representative of the entire game. This is troll thread, a well fed one.

There's nothing to talk about until the game is released. Also, the demo shows a good portion of what to expect from the full game. The bitching is very justified, and isn't a troll thread. When the game comes out the thread will turn around, but if the end product is a shit storm, then you'll see this thread go down in flames.

vocab said:
There's nothing to talk about until the game is released. Also, the demo shows a good portion of what to expect from the full game. The bitching is very justified, and isn't a troll thread.

Would playing the beginning Origins section of DA:O be representative of the whole game to you? Just a honest question.

Gvaz

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:

Just because people are being highly critical of the information (or lack thereof) released at this time, doesn't mean they're trolling. The OP is a harmless jab based on comments bioware has made themselves and sort of the arguments that have been going on lately. I thought it was rather funny :<, why are you getting so frustrated over it?

Skyebaron

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
ur rite i'm offended r u honestly saying that da2 runz on a pentium i porcesors/!?>?!

if the persona 5 thread was a bunch of humorous jabs about "here we go: animu underage dating sim 5: still the same summon models edition" nobody would complain

That dosent justify making the OT. This thread screams "Jaded Asshole Nerdrage".

I can understand making fun of a game. Like the hilarious DA:O gif where Alistair's head rotates and then fills up the screen. But making an entire thread passing judgement about a game nobody has played to its entirety is just ridiculous.

Almighty

shinobi602 said:
Sweet, so shipping time is average? I was going to preorder at my Gamestop for the preorder bonuses, but if the signature edition is the same price, shit I'll go with that.

Shipping time is pretty average in my experience. A few times something has arrived very quickly, but overall it seems on par with the other places I shop at.

Monocle

Skyebaron said:
It may be funny but this OT should be deleted.
You should be deleted. This OT is the best OT.

If the game turns out to be good, it'll be doubly hilarious.

itxaka

Defeatist
EmCeeGramr said:

Aren't almost all of icecream's OT threads about strange Japanese games like that? I see no one complaining about them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Skyebaron said:
That dosent justify making the OT. This thread screams "Jaded Asshole Nerdrage".

I can understand making fun of a game. Like the hilarious DA:O gif where Alistair's head rotates and then fills up the screen. But making an entire thread passing judgement about a game nobody has played to its entirety is just ridiculous.
How does it pass judgement? Nothing in the OP is based off of anything thats untrue, outside of some jabs at the (truly) worse graphics on PC and another jab not at the game but at the much-criticized games journalism that will likely give it very high scores based on hype alone.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Well I put in a handful of 99p bids on eBay for Signature Editions that may or may not actually exist. I'm not hot on the game and the bids will probably sky-rocket but it's worth a shot. I won't go above a tenner...

...so prepare for battle UK-Gaf. >:|

And oh no Skyebaron! I will never forget you...

The_Technomancer said:
How does it pass judgement? Nothing in the OP is based off of anything thats untrue, outside of some jabs at the (truly) worse graphics on PC and another jab not at the game but at the much-criticized games journalism that will likely give it very high scores based on hype alone.
I'll sound like I'm kissing EviLore's ass here, but his DAO OT is a beauty even though I love the game. The whole console peasants story that gets built up through the gifs still makes me laugh.

The_Technomancer said:
he's already entered the fade

vocab

shinobi602 said:
Would playing the beginning Origins section of DA:O be representative of the whole game to you? Just a honest question.

That's a tough question honestly. Story wise, you would never know because the origins are all different, and aren't directly related to the main story. I was hooked by the Human noble story when I first played it on release date, and I played Mage story, and thought it was alright as well. Just like all RPG's it's very hard to demo a fully fleshed out world and characters to someone.

Also, if Biowares 1 hour quit data is true, then I think many people bailed out because they weren't willing to stick with it. Maybe people went in expecting Mass Effect or something.

Now if you asked me the same for ME2, I would say no.

EmCeeGramr said:

That's not true. People would complain that Persona is more then that and it could possibly get pretty bad if a Persona 5 OT talked down to the game or it's audience.

I believe this thread is humorous. I'm interested in this game, but it's pretty undeniable that their are some aspects of it that may turn off pc gamers. Personally, though I do not care about pc games and the direction that DA2 is perfectly fine with me. I also belive that a lot of the complaints are overblown. Regardless though, the OT(which is funny) has opened the gateway for more troll like posts. I believe the op is a bit trolling, but honestly it seems a bit more in jest. Still though it's probably reflective of how the op feels. The posts that have followed though are a bit more obvious in their trolling and not really in jest or bringing in any discussion. Some of them are just throwing blatant incorrect statements about the game or claiming things that in any other thread would at least recivice a warning. Now I get that mods carry out their jobs at their own discretion and what one mod may ban for another mod may not. Still, based on my experience a thread with posts like these would have been closed and had a couple of bannings. Now Duckroll is not Evilore, but in more recent FFXIII related threads, Duck has given fair warning to the types of posts we have seen in here. Now honestly, I don't care or want anyone to be banned(not me please).

DA2 is turning out to be destructive in so many ways.

DragonAge2Demo-2011-02-23-21-33-21-10.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
vocab said:
Also, if Biowares 1 hour quit data is true, then I think many people bailed out because they weren't willing to stick with it.

Wait, what's this now? This is the first I've heard about anything like this.

Skyebaron said:

Thank you, friendly banned man. This is my entire point. There's a difference between taking the piss out of a game and trolling it for no better purpose than because you feel slighted and you can. This OT would never have been allowed to get to nine pages had it not been made by someone with a red username and, yes, that bothers me and strikes me as hypocritical. But I know I'm fighting a losing battle and don't particularly care enough about Dragon Age II to keep fighting it, so I'll just leave it at that and stop derailing the thread (though it's arguable as to whether or not it was even on the rails to begin with).

Zeliard

EviLore posted earlier about some Bioware rep laughing about the "brother why didn't you roll mage" line, so apparently Bioware themselves are taking this far better than some here. :p

vocab

Gvaz said:
Wait, what's this now? This is the first I've heard about anything like this.

Some PR mentioned their statistics gathering showed that most people who bought the game didn't even get past the 1 hour mark, and they wanted to make sure it didn't happen again by making different design choices. Something like that. I mean, I'm guilty of this, but at the time I played the game on a crappy computer, and stopped playing to save it for a better computer.

Rahxephon91 said:
That's not true. People would complain that Persona is more then that and it could possibly get pretty bad if a Persona 5 OT talked down to the game or it's audience.
Clarification: "nobody (who isn't a dunderninny with a stick up their ass and less brains than God gave a rock) would complain."

vocab

shinobi602 said:
Well...exactly...

It seems not many are willing to give it a shot here.

I will if the reception from CRPG gaf is on a positive note. I need to go in with a different mind set or I'll just hate the game completely. I like the first one a lot (still haven't beaten it, shame on me), but I see no reason to play the second one in the near future if it's just a bad game. Also, $60 to to see if I like it is a tough gamble for some people. It's Bioware, but It's Bioware after ME2. It's really rolling the dice.

Gvaz

Banned
vocab said:
Some PR mentioned their statistics gathering showed that most people who bought the game didn't even get past the 1 hour mark, and they wanted to make sure it didn't happen again by making different design choices. Something like that. I mean, I'm guilty of this, but at the time I played the game on a crappy computer, and stopped playing to save it for a better computer.

...But that means they basically did an origin then never bothered finishing the game. Depending on the Origin, its about an hour long.

I'm not sure why you'd spend $50 only to play the game for an hour.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I AM JOHN! said:
Thank you, friendly banned man. This is my entire point. There's a difference between taking the piss out of a game and trolling it for no better purpose than because you feel slighted and you can. This OT would never have been allowed to get to nine pages had it not been made by someone with a red username and, yes, that bothers me and strikes me as hypocritical. But I know I'm fighting a losing battle and don't particularly care enough about Dragon Age II to keep fighting it, so I'll just leave it at that and stop derailing the thread (though it's arguable as to whether or not it was even on the rails to begin with).
Have you not read the SaGa 2 OT? It's hilarious and not some PR-like advertisement. If I'm not mistaken EviLore made the OTs for the DA games absolutely crazy because he was interested in the original game and wanted something memorable.

At least if I ever do an OT it would go for some belly laughs.

Ed: He's a gawner.

Zeliard

Gvaz said:
...But that means they basically did an origin then never bothered finishing the game. Depending on the Origin, its about an hour long.

The shit-rock marketing attracted the wrong crowd. They didn't know what game they were buying.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
shinobi602 said:
Well...exactly...

It seems not many are willing to give it a shot here.

So, what? We're supposed to just pony up the cash to buy a game that we disliked the trailer to, dislike the screenshots to and dislike the press/PR leaks to? Because...why, exactly?

Zzoram

Gvaz said:

I played all the Origins then beat the game with one of them.

I actually think I would've preferred a game with 3 separate complete but 1/3 length campaigns than having 6 unique origins and 1 long campaign.

Gvaz said:

Well there was also the Mass Effect 2 data they put out were it turned out a lot didn't even finish that game. It's also much shorter then DA.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Zzoram said:
I played all the Origins then beat the game with one of them.

I actually think I would've preferred a game with 4 separate complete but 1/4 length campaigns than having 6 unique origins and 1 long campaign.
That makes me wonder if there would be a market for episodic (I'm talking Tell Tale schedules here) pause-and-order RPGs with tight, focused stories like the origin stories. Nothing overly long for the attention starved, plenty of tactical combat and something new each time.

vocab

EDarkness said:
So people upset about this thread are getting banned now?

Some of the shit people are saying about this thread is beyond being upset.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well there was also the Mass Effect 2 date were it turned out a lot didn't even finish that game. It's also much shorter then DA.

Well ME2 is a 30-40 hour game. I think some people were willing to pull through it because it is a shooter.

The Technomancer

Thnikkaman said:
That makes me wonder if there would be a market for episodic (I'm talking Tell Tale schedules here) pause-and-order RPGs with tight, focused stories like the origin stories. Nothing overly long for the attention starved, plenty of tactical combat and something new each time.
Give me original characters, original worlds and good short stories, and I'd be a part of that market.

EDarkness

Rahxephon91 said:
Well there was also the Mass Effect 2 date were it turned out a lot didn't even finish that game. It's also much shorter then DA.

I can see what they're talking about. I never finished the first game until recently, and even then I had to slog through it so I could get prepared for the second game. The first part of DA:O is long and a little boring. It's difficult to really get into and the combat isn't all that interesting, either.

At least the second game has button massing to kinda keep you busy doing something.

Canova

Banned
banneds :O

this thread reaches epic proportion in a hurry lol

OT should stand, because it's time for someone to call a spade a spade. The game got free passes by major medias due to EA marketing money, but not here.

EDarkness

canova said:

OT should stand, because it's time for someone to call a spade a spade. The game got free passes by major medias due to EA marketing money, but not here.

I guess the main question for me is where do people who like the game go to chat about it? I thought that was the reason for official threads?

K.Sabot

At this rate, the bodycount will reach that of Epic Mickey.

I'm still buying this game, if only to sate my rpg hunger and lessen the waiting pains for better rpgs.

I don't actually see the OP as negative. it's just taking what has been said and using it to poke fun at the game. think that SNL sketch were they recited Palin's speech word for word. however there isn't anything in the OP that can be listed as objectively negative.

The Technomancer

EDarkness said:
I guess the main question for me is where do people who like the game go to chat about it? I thought that was the reason for official threads?
It really really will get better when the game comes out. The people who don't like it/don't play it will be much more in balance with those who do, since the latter likely have more to talk about. There's so much stacked against the game currently, but nothing I've seen so far makes me think its a bad game, its just not what a lot of people want.

Canova

Banned
EDarkness said:

they could still chat about the game here, instead they chose to bitch about the OT

vocab

The_Technomancer said:
Give me original characters, original worlds and good short stories, and I'd be a part of that market.

Yup. It could really work. You just need interesting stuff. I could see a throwback isometric parody RPG really working well for an episodic game.

canova said:

See stuff like this is straight up bs. People like Dragon Age. If they didn't their wouldn't be a lot of outcry in this thread. It got good reviews and you know what it deserved it. You have no proof that these reviews or anything or being bought. The only fuel you have is some annoying bias. Dragon Age 2 does not look bad to everyone. It also has gotten a few reviews pointing out that it isn't better then Origins. These games will get solid reviews and it has nothing to do with lol moneyhats. People like them. Deal with it.

EDarkness said:

You can talk about it here. Once the game comes out people will start talking about it proper, me included (probably).

Top Bottom