• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Hari Seldon

Stinkdog said:
That happens if you play a guy who didn't romance her as well. I thought it was weird that it ended so abruptly.

I wonder what happens if you play a female that romanced her using the gender switching mod.

kai3345

Banned
Micius said:
Isn't the full party roster already known at this point? Or are you speculating about possible appearances in future DLC? As far as I know
Anders possessed by Justice
are the only returning party members.
Maybe she'll be a secret party member just like the one in DAO

chris-013 said:
Morrigan can be killed in witch hunt. ;P
No,
she is stabbed and she falls into the portal. There is no confirmation of her dying.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
Hari Seldon said:
I wonder what happens if you play a female that romanced her using the gender switching mod.

That's a good question, but it's probably the same results as if you romanced her as a male. Of course the ending might be solely determined by your choices in dialog, not necessarily by whether or not you had a romance with her.

Leucrota

I like how a majority of the people complaining are PC gamers, when in fact they have a mod community to service their needs.

Console players are stuck with what is launched, though.

kai3345

Banned
PatMcAtee said:
I like how a majority of the people complaining are PC gamers, when in fact they have a mod community to service their needs.

Then console players should be bitching more

Leucrota

kai3345 said:

All we have played is a demo where most of the features are locked.

I am playing DAO right now, and actually like the changes implemented. I never use 'A' in DAO because it doesn't do anything, but now that it does something, I am happy, though it isn't much.

Even on the console version you will still need to pause, I died with both the mage and the warrior during the troll fight (the second time).

Maybe loot will actually be serviceable now instead of receiving the same crap over and over and never changing outfits of any of my characters.

In fact, as of now, I think I would take DA2's demo over DAO, because guess what, it is more fun.

Isn't an RPG defined by the ROLE-PLAYING (story, interaction), not the combat and isometric views?

Stinkdog

Neo Member
PatMcAtee said:

Good thing DA2 has been made specifically for consoles then, right? =p Seriously, though I did enjoy the game far more on console than I did on PC. Perhaps having a controller in one's hand makes all the difference.

Actually, does anyone know if Bioware has said anything about releasing official modding tools for PC like they did with DA:O?

kai3345

Banned
PatMcAtee said:
Isn't an RPG defined by the ROLE-PLAYING (story, interaction), not the combat and isometric views?
No.

Its about the character's stat progression, and in some cases the gameplay systems used in tabletop roleplaying games.

Xilium

PatMcAtee said:

There will be no mod tools for DA2 and we are still unsure about how much editing, if any, can be done with the DA:O toolset.

itxaka

Defeatist
One think I did like about the new figthing system/speed/whatever is that seems more fit for rogues.

I mean, on the first one if you wanted to get behind the enemies and you were on their side it moved so slowly it was ridiculous. It seems now that being a rogue means you are agile and get behind your enemies easily.

I'm still don't know why they take so much aggro thought. It's kind of ridiculous that even with the tank shouting you can steal aggro with a couple of hits.

2San

kai3345 said:
To be fair the demo is good for console style players. Assuming console style players tend to like to focus playing with 1 character(usually a mellee character) with the rest AI controlled. This is definitely a step up. :O Personally I find this style lacking, but I do understand what people like about it.

jhawk6

Xilium said:
There will be no mod tools for DA2 and we are still unsure about how much editing, if any, can be done with the DA:O toolset.

Wow, just wow. Is this happening in real life right now?

Stinkdog said:
Good thing DA2 has been made specifically for consoles then, right? =p Seriously, though I did enjoy the demo far more on console than I did on PC. Perhaps having a controller in one's hand makes all the difference.

Actually, does anyone know if Bioware has said anything about releasing official modding tools for PC like they did with DA:O?

Only official word is that if they are coming they won't be out at launch. I think it was Laidlaw who said the only reason we got the original tools at launch was because the PC crew had several months to work on getting them ready for public consumption while they waited for the console releases. They also didn't want to comment one way or the other while the game was still in development.

However they did also say that the tools are about 90% similar to the DA:O kit, it's likely then that some of the less complicated mods won't be too far behind. Still, Bioware should, now that they are finished with the game, come back out and address the issue.

Edit: Beaten a few times, but I have never seen a direct quote that says no tools are coming, ever. Most of the interviews seem to have been generally optimistic about them coming soon after launch, but I could be reading more into it.

kai3345 said:
No.

Its about the character's stat progression, and in some cases the gameplay systems used in tabletop roleplaying games.
Ha. Tell that to the hardcore D&D crowd where great DMs create intricate stories and backgrounds to immerse their players in.

An "RPG" is many things to many people. Yes, it's about statistics and combat. But it's also about character interaction and story telling. It's up to each individual to decide which aspects of the RPG genre they find most appealing.

bishopcruz said:
Only official word is that if they are coming they won't be out at launch. I think it was Laidlaw who said the only reason we got the original tools at launch was because the PC crew had several months to work on getting them ready for public consumption while they waited for the console releases. They also didn't want to comment one way or the other while the game was still in development.

However they did also say that the tools are about 90% similar to the DA:O kit, it's likely then that some of the less complicated mods won't be too far behind. Still, Bioware should, now that they are finished with the game, come back out and address the issue.

Edit: Beaten a few times, but I have never seen a direct quote that says no tools are coming, ever. Most of the interviews seem to have been generally optimistic about them coming soon after launch, but I could be reading more into it.
More reason to wait till the GOTY edition is marked down in a steam sale.

Leucrota

2San said:
To be fair the demo is good for console style players. Assuming console style players tend to like to focus playing with 1 character(usually a mellee character) with the rest AI controlled. This is definitely a step up. :O Personally I find this style lacking, but I do understand what people like about it.

I might just such at games, but how could you just leave your party members to the AI?
I use the tactics menu, which I tweak after every battle, I change characters all the time to queue the attacks, and I make sure everyone is getting equal healing (I play as the buff/debuff/heal mage).

If left to their own devices, the AI quickly gets slaughter (in my experience).

Xilium

Reluctant-Hero said:
Ha. Tell that to the hardcore D&D crowd where great DMs create intricate stories and backgrounds to immerse their players in.

An "RPG" is many things to many people. Yes, it's about statistics and combat. But it's also about character interaction and story telling. It's up to each individual to decide which aspects of the RPG genre they find most appealing.

I say this a lot but people should learn to separate tabletop RPGs from the RPG video game genre. They aren't the same and never will be as you will always be limited in the amount of freedom you have to craft a story in a video game.

As important as good story and character interaction is to an RPG it's not something that is exclusive to an RPG, nor should it be. Those are things that should be important to any game that is attempting to tell a story or make you care about the characters they've created.

PatMcAtee said:
I might just such at games, but how could you just leave your party members to the AI?
I use the tactics menu, which I tweak after every battle, I change characters all the time to queue the attacks, and I make sure everyone is getting equal healing (I play as the buff/debuff/heal mage).

Same here, don't understand where the assumption that console players don't use any other characters but their own and don't use tactics comes from...

kai3345 said:
But supporting the wrong direction is
That's a matter of opinion. The direction they are taking Dragon Age 2 is fine for a lot of us.

DA2 still looks like it's going to have stat progression and character classes. Basically stuff I like about rpgs. It also now has more interactive combat, better graphics, and a better look. It looks like it's going in a great direction. And fuck isometric camera angels, they have always sucked.

Reluctant-Hero said:

Exactly, I could care less about DnD and it's rules and what not.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Played through the demo on Nightmare. Seems more difficult than Origins, primarily because there is more to do. As suspected, with avoidable enemy attacks the game is much more supportive of good positioning and seems to benefit players who are watchful of enemies going into certain animations.

The nerf to heal is probably the biggest thing, and makes it easier to not have to micromanage your mage the entire time just to get a decent heal rotation, but the impact of Glyphs still makes it seem like having one CC/healing mage in the party will be hugely beneficial, and will play well with other ranged classes.

The last half of the demo is too easy because Isabella is essentially invincible. Hopefully there are not many instances of that extra super powered tag along in the final game. I thought the original demo was promising but underwhelming, but on Nightmare it is pretty clear that the game is DA:O but with much better balance, movement, and active abilities. I really, really liked it.

PatMcAtee said:

Are we talking about DA2 here? Because you can't really queue attacks, heal has a very long cool down and in the pc version you can't even really change tactics. Not that it matters since the tactics menu is reduced compared to Origins.

Honestly though I have no idea what game you are playing when you can play through the entire demo without ever pausing or using healing potions or switching characters.

Leucrota

Lostconfused said:
Are we talking about DA2 here? Because you can't really queue attacks, heal has a very long cool down and in the pc version you can't even really change tactics. Not that it matters since the tactics menu is reduced compared to Origins.

Honestly though I have no idea what game you are playing when you can play through the entire demo without ever pausing or using healing potions or switching characters.

Sorry, I was talking about DAO. There is a progression of replies you must have missed to put it all in context.

PatMcAtee said:
Sorry, I was talking about DAO. There is a progression of replies you must have missed to put it all in context.
Even in context its not really definite if you are talking about one or the other but since this thread is about DA2 I went with that assumption.

What do you guys think the chances are of strolling into a store and getting the Signature Edition by either mistake or by people cancelling their Signature pre-orders?

So what´s the word on the enviroments in the full version? Are we still constrained to narrow typical Bioware corridors like their last games and the demo of this has showed us, or can we hope on some parts being at least as open as the enviroments in the The Witcher?

Xilium

ProtoCents said:
What do you guys think the chances are of strolling into a store and getting the Signature Edition by either mistake or by people cancelling their Signature pre-orders?

Gamestop usually has extra special/collectors editions. Helps to know someone there but you might be able to get one if you go later in the day or try when their holding period is up (one week I think).

I thought the Signature Edition was only for pre-orders before a certain date. I know at today at Gamestop I noticed the had boxes that stated just pre-order and get the Signature edition, but even on Bioware's site it says it's not available anymore. I only recently pre-ordered at Gamestop, do I get the Signature Edition?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Rahxephon91 said:
I thought the Signature Edition was only for pre-orders before a certain date. I know at today at Gamestop I noticed the had boxes that stated just pre-order and get the Signature edition, but even on Bioware's site it says it's not available anymore. I only recently pre-ordered at Gamestop, do I get the Signature Edition?

Preorder the Sig. Edition at Overstock. Don't know if it will ship though, since I thought all pre-orders had to be in by Jan.

kai3345

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
no

Xilium

Rahxephon91 said:

You're right about the signature edition (though apparently overstock still has some) but Gamestop always has extras, more if people cancel before shipments come out. If you go up and ask them if they have any extras, if they aren't out (or in a dickish mood), they'll usually sell it to you. Just avoid doing that during a rush (like at opening).

2San

PatMcAtee said:

Oh I do tweak the tactics. I went full dps rogue. For the most part I just auto-potion'd the shit out of the game with Wynne as dedicated healer(with CC spells though). Didn't even use Blizzard/ConeOfCold since that kept freezing me all the time. Should get you through medium on consoles fairly easily. The Archdemon was a bitch though, with Morrigan and Wynne dead half way through so no ressurection, but surprisingly I could managed to duo it with Alistair and myself.

jackdoe

2San said:
Oh I do tweak the tactics. I went full dps rogue. For the most part I just auto-potion'd the shit out of the game with Wynne as dedicated healer(with CC spells though). Didn't even use Blizzard/ConeOfCold since that kept freezing me all the time. Should get you through medium on consoles fairly easily. The Archdemon was a bitch though, with Morrigan and Wynne dead half way through so no ressurection, but surprisingly I could managed to duo it with Alistair and myself.
Archdemon was easy as hell if you went with all range with rogues. It was too easy in fact.

2San

jackdoe said:
Archdemon was easy as hell if you went with all range with rogues. It was too easy in fact.
I'm the type that does everything with one team and I managed to beat it in one try! I don't change a winning team. :p

jhawk6

Signature Edition was supposed to be available for pre-order only till a specific date but who knows, they could print more than what was actually pre-ordered.

Not everyone who pre-ordered the signature edition will pick it up either so there's that

Patryn

Xilium said:
You're right about the signature edition (though apparently overstock still has some) but Gamestop always has extras, more if people cancel before shipments come out. If you go up and ask them if they have any extras, if they aren't out (or in a dickish mood), they'll usually sell it to you. Just avoid doing that during a rush (like at opening).

Except I have a feeling that the early cutoff date was so that Bioware would know the exact number of Signature Editions that were pre-ordered and they're planning on only producing exactly that amount.

So my guess is that unless someone cancels the pre-order at the last minute, your best bet would be going to Overstock.

jackdoe

2San said:
I'm the type that does everything with one team and I managed to beat it in one try! I don't change a winning team. :p
Yeah, I didn't change anything either. I had Alistair, Leiliana, and Wynne. Leiliana is a beast as an archer if you build her correctly. And my Warrior had a rogue like build, cause I wanted to dual wield, so he was a beast with arrows too.

jhawk6

jackdoe said:
Yeah, I didn't change anything either. I had Alistair, Leiliana, and Wynne. Leiliana is a beast as an archer if you build her correctly. And my Warrior had a rogue like build, cause I wanted to dual wield, so he was a beast with arrows too.

Leliana is an awesome archer. Plus the bow she gets from her personal quest is the icing on the cake

jackdoe

jhawk6 said:
Leliana is an awesome archer. Plus the bow she gets from her personal quest is the icing on the cake
Yep, and give her elf-flight arrows and she becomes a monster against the archdemon. Cause she rarely got targeted and when she did, I had Alistair do a little cleaning up.

Vamphuntr

Patryn said:
Except I have a feeling that the early cutoff date was so that Bioware would know the exact number of Signature Editions that were pre-ordered and they're planning on only producing exactly that amount.

So my guess is that unless someone cancels the pre-order at the last minute, your best bet would be going to Overstock.

Pretty much this. They want people to pay the 7$ for the Prince of god knows where. In the signature edition you get it for free so it's quite logical that they don't print too much of it.

I'm on the fence about getting the PC Signature edition from Overstock. I won't be playing at launch because I have to finish up a few games before I jump in. I also won't be waiting until the GOTY edition, so I'd like to get as much content as possible when I buy. Decisions, decisions.

Xilium

Patryn said:

Didn't the cutoff already pass? The fact that Overstock is still taking orders pretty much disproves the exact number theory. They might have used it as a general measure of how many Signature Editions they would need but I don't think it will be like the FFXIII Collectors Edition guides in which each guide was numbered out of 200k or something.

Actual Collectors/Limited edition stuff is hard to come by in the gaming space nowadays.

Vamphuntr

Xilium said:
Didn't the cutoff already pass? The fact that Overstock is still taking orders pretty much disproves the exact number theory. They might have used it as a general measure of how many Signature Editions they would need but I don't think it will be like the FFXIII Collectors Edition guides in which each guide was numbered out of 200k or something.

Actual Collectors/Limited edition stuff is hard to come by in the gaming space nowadays.

Or maybe overstock simply ordered a large amount that is not yet presold? Isn't that the purpose of overstocking?

Ulairi

Banned
My only fear is that if Dragon Age 2 doesn't sell that well, we'll hear the same old "PC gaming is a problem" and the decision makers won't look at the product they offered up. I don't understand why Bioware decided to make the game to target people who really didn't enjoy the first one.

I played the demo and I wanted to like it but I don't want every title to turn into Mass Effect. The great thing about DA is that it gave Bioware a franchise that isn't similar to their other major franchise. They can broaden their appeal by having games targeting specific markets.

For what its worth, I pre-ordered the signature edition but then put it up for sale for slightly more than MSRP on amazon and changed my pre-order for the vanilla version (release date shipping plus the extra character looks like a real goob).

The person that bought my signature edition was a professional game seller, so I guess there will be an aftermarket for sealed signature copies.

Top Bottom