• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Ysiadmihi

Banned
shinobi602 said:
What do you mean? We're conversing, isn't that what we do on forums? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

Of course. I'm just not sure I've ever seen you agree with any of the criticisms, which given how quickly you respond to them just seems funny to me. I'm probably not looking deep enough though.

I loved Dragon Age, really looking forward to Dragon Age 2. The graphics for 2 do look better on 360 unless I am completely misremembering the original, which I doubt, I replayed it just a few short months ago. But ultimately, graphics don't matter. Dragon Age was awesome, I think the sequel will be as well.

Ysiadmihi said:
Of course. I'm just not sure I've ever seen you agree with any of the criticisms, which given how quickly you respond to them just seems funny to me. I'm probably not looking deep enough though.

I just don't easily get turned off to be honest. A lot of the criticisms leveled at DA2 I find to be superficial and just nitpicking, personally. This doesn't really have anything to do with it, but I really find myself to be a rare breed of gamer that I barely ever encounter with anybody else I know...

I enjoy almost every type of game. I play and enjoy a variety of games, from Uncharted, to Mass Effect, to Starcraft, to Dragon Age, to Elder Scrolls, to Gran Turismo, to LittleBigPlanet, to The Witcher, etc etc. Hell, I LOVE Call of Duty, while at the same time, I LOVE Demon's Souls.

I don't want to use the word elitist, but I just find a lot of people here are so captious, they overlook most of what makes a game a game...the amount of fun it gives the player. Most here analyze and focus on stats this, and the viewing angle of that and the type of bump mapping being used in the texture of this dude's glove, etc...it reminds of movie critics. For the life of me I can never understand them. So many movies that are flamed by them, I've found that I've enjoyed, because I just enjoy the overall experience being given to me...

That's why I loved Dragon Age:Origins, and why I love DA2 too. I don't care if a certain type of enemy looks different than before or if the game plays faster or you can't choose to be an elf or dwarf. I'm thrilled to be a part of the beautiful world that Bioware created, and immerse myself in the characters and story and overall experience.

May I'm just way too easily pleased. But honestly...I kind of like it that way. /shrug

Ysiadmihi

Banned
shinobi602 said:
I don't want to use the word elitist, but I just find a lot of people here are so captious, they overlook most of what makes a game a game...the amount of fun it gives the player.

Personally, I'm not overlooking this. I loved Dragon Age: Origins. It was one of my favorite games of 2009 and I have played through it with 4 different characters. The demo of DA2 has given me zero enjoyment and it's all due to the changes they've made. I'm not going to buy it anyway and support the changes that have taken the fun out of the series for me.

Ysiadmihi said:
Personally, I'm not overlooking this. I loved Dragon Age: Origins. It was one of my favorite games of 2009 and I have played through it with 4 different characters. The demo of DA2 has given me zero enjoyment and it's all due to the changes they've made. I'm not going to buy it anyway and support the changes that have taken the fun out of the series for me.

I understand, I'm just giving you the type of mindset I have when it comes to gaming, which is why it seems I don't criticize much. I really don't have a problem criticizing if I really do think that way about a certain aspect of a game. There are definitely TONS of games I've not enjoyed.

The biggest improvement I noticed was how based the mage looks now while auto-attacking.

And it is an improvement... just not as great as we all would have hoped for. What is the reasoning for a company like Bioware to allow such an outdated engine for one of their franchises and one of the best displays on Unreal for their other? Bizarre.

Fake edit: How do I include someone's name in the quote bracket?

Real edit: Thank you Shinobi and SerArthur

ProtoCents said:
The biggest improvement I noticed was how based the mage looks now while auto-attacking.

And it is an improvement... just not as great as we all would have hoped for. What is the reasoning for a company like Bioware to allow such an outdated engine for one of their franchises and one of the best displays on Unreal for their other? Bizarre.

Just click on "quote" under the user's name next to their avatar.

Not really an answer, but this was in an interview with Gamasutra:

So from a technology standpoint, how much do you guys share with Mass Effect? Anything?

ML: We probably share expertise more than we share technology. Being on different engines results in a difficulty in sharing -- I mean, even legal difficulties in sharing tech [The Mass Effect series uses Unreal Engine 3, licensed from Epic -- ed.]. But, in terms of design and philosophies, and vision, and how we communicate stuff to the teams, there's a lot of coherence there between the two projects.

So there's an awareness that Mass Effect has done really good stuff. They're two floors down, I can go talk to them. And even getting to the point where we bring Mass Effect people to play DAII, and they will bring us down to play Mass Effect. And the end result is, I think, the games are stronger because you have such a different viewpoint, and they come in and will give amazing and incisive feedback.

ProtoCents said:

Just use the quote button and it is automatic, and you can copy the formatting and enter your own text or user name. Or alternatively the format seems to be adding an =Thisperson after the quote.

So
thisperson said:
followed by the quote.

Van Owen said:
lol I just played the console demo. Didn't realize you have to repeatably press A to attack. So retarded.

You have the option to use auto-attack in the full game like DA:O. They have it disabled in the demo.

They're two floors down, I can go talk to them. And even getting to the point where we bring Mass Effect people to play DAII
After all that they still managed to fuck up the dialog wheel anyways.

edit: I know I am beating a worn out horse that's on death's doorstep hanging on to life by a thread. But I just can't get over the fact that they managed to screw up something so significant and yet so simple at the same time.

Edit2: I guess its because they have to have those icons in the middle now so they felt like they couldn't just whole sale copy the dialog wheel from Mass Effect. Still that's no excuse for not being able to come up with a better solution than the one they have now.

Van Owen said:
lol I just played the console demo. Didn't realize you have to repeatably press A to attack. So retarded.

There will be an auto-attack option for PC.

Not sure about consoles though, as I've heard both yes and no on that front.

Fimbulvetr said:
There will be and auto-attack option for PC.

There is. I don't think there is a non-auto PC option, though. I guess you could play it like Diablo if there was?

Hawk269

Well the new beta Nvidia drivers are out and there is a comment about it working better with Dragon Age 2, so we will see. Have not tried it out, just installed the drivers.

Question, do we know yet if the PC version will also have console controller options. I like playing some of my PC games with my 360 pad and was hoping that the final game will allow controller support.

Vamphuntr

Fimbulvetr said:
There will be an auto-attack option for PC.

They should have added these options in the demo. It makes no sense not to have it since it influences your experience. In the 360 version it's not even in the options menu. Some menu are completely unenabled you can't even move your cursor through them. I really hope it's included in the retail code.

I also hope the tactics are going to work in the final build. In my second demo playthrough I realized that some tactics are bugged. For example I had said the sister to use the healing spell when her health gets below 50% and she would never use it. She had the mana and she wouldn't do it. I had to switch manually to her and make her heal herself.

Fredescu

shinobi602 said:
A lot of the criticisms leveled at DA2 I find to be superficial and just nitpicking, personally.
You have to understand that the particular style of combat in DA:O which was once common has all but died out. The causes for it's death were more to do with bad luck than a lack of popularity, so it still has it's fans. After DA:O there was the possibility of a real-time with pause tactical RPG series sticking around for while, potentially spawning imitators.

People are going to criticise what might seem small things to you, because the direction is away from depth, when a lot of fans of the first and of the combat system in general wanted a little more depth. Of course to someone like you who just wants to play a fun game like the first one without particularly caring about the health of a sub genre, might see the specific things that are being removed as small things, because ultimately they are. It's not so much about how different it is from the first, but also what could have been. The improvements are in the wrong direction for a lot of people.

This could be a case of retooling everything so it works nicely on consoles, and then adding more depth in DA3 or something. I'd be ok with that. I still eagerly awaiting my DA2 pre order, and I think I will still enjoy it. That will be tainted with a little disappointment because of all the things I'd hoped for out of a sequel, but I'll survive.

jhawk6

K.Sabot said:
So I hear this game is short... and now my interest is simmering down.

Where did you hear it was short? The first game took me over 40 hours to get through the first time. Of course if you shot through and only paid attention to the main tasks it could be done way, way faster.

Vamphuntr

jhawk6 said:
Where did you hear it was short? The first game took me over 40 hours to get through the first time. Of course if you shot through and only paid attention to the main tasks it could be done way, way faster.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6282970

"During a presentation on localization, Bioware
localization representative Ian Mitchell showed some stats involving the
amount of content in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II.
The information gave some surprising insight into the scope of the
sequel versus its predecessor. This information is undoubtedly rounded,
but some key stats are:"

Dragon Age: Origins
1,000,000 Words
1,000 Cinematics
1,000 Characters
56,000 Spoken Lines
60 Hours of Gameplay

Dragon Age II
400,000 Words
2,500 Cinematics
500 Characters
38,000 Spoken Lines
40 Hours of Gameplay

oooh banned link

LiK

jhawk6 said:
Wow, can't argue with those stats :-/ Am getting worried now..
I'm not. In Bioware we trust. Already expected a shorter game with less options to play as other races.

Vamphuntr

Ysiadmihi said:
Well if that's true then...you know what, it's not surprising at all at this point.

I wonder why they have less lines of spoken dialogues when their main character is now voiced ;). Length appears to be 2/3 of Origins. It's not bad thing if there are no extremely tedious and long areas like the deep roads. That and the fade were the worst parts of the original.

EDarkness said:
I'm playing through the Xbox version of DA:O for the first time and this game looks pretty bad. I'm no graphics whore, but I do expect the HD systems to have better texture quality. DA:O on the 360 is a mess. At lest the frame rate is pretty constant, but it sacrifices video fidelity to do so. Dragon Age 2 looks MUCH MUCH better by comparison.

Yeah I was talking more about the gear models/textures. DA is the only RPG in recent memory I have played that had a dire lack of diversity in gear/items. Yet the sequel seems to be reusing many of the same models.

That's actually better than I expected.

As a philistine who only played through DA:O once, I came nowhere close to seeing all of that content. It was good knowing that the branches were out there to explore, but I can understand the economics on why a sequel a year later would have significantly less.

Sure there is less freedom, but if their ideal playthrough coincidentally matches your ideal playthrough, the only thing the amount of content would restrict is replayability.

gdt

Just picked up DA:O again after a few months. Gotta finish it before DAII. I like this game, but it tries so hard to hate me. The combat is just so...ugh. I sometimes kinda dig it, I guess. But in the months that I haven't played it (got stuck, so today I lowered the difficulty to make it through) I forgot pretty much everything I learned about the combat mechanics. Shit it rock hard now :lol.

I like the changes made for DAII, guess that makes me a console peasant or something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gdt5016 said:
I like the changes made for DAII, guess that makes me a console peasant or something.

I think a lot of the differences in opinions about II comes down to whether you played Origins on PC or console. Based on my brief time with the demo, it is designed with a controller in mind unlike Origins, which felt a lot like the clunky PC ports you'd see on the PS2 a decade ago (it was still fun despite all it's issues). It's too bad that they couldn't have just said 'fuck parity' and developed the game in a way that plays the strength's of both platforms, but I guess there's no money in that.

Leucrota

gdt5016 said:
Just picked up DA:O again after a few months. Gotta finish it before DAII. I like this game, but it tries so hard to hate me. The combat is just so...ugh. I sometimes kinda dig it, I guess. But in the months that I haven't played it (got stuck, so today I lowered the difficulty to make it through) I forgot pretty much everything I learned about the combat mechanics. Shit it rock hard now :lol.

I don't see how any of the changes are anything but for the better.
Better graphics.
More responsive controls (and you still pause and take control of other characters, so wtf)
Similar, though probably revamped inventory.
A few less conversation options (face it, most of the options in DAO were redundant, but I hope they didn't take away persuade/intimidate)
Better skill trees.

Everyone is like 'omigod, played demo game sucks' when I was playing DAO at the same time DA2 demo was released and only notice good changes.

But whatever.

Leucrota

dwebo said:
Hmm... A large chunk of those reduced spoken lines are just going to be male/female good/comic/evil Hawke. Halving the word count yet doubling the number of cinematics is also worrisome. Goddamn, Bioware.

If this game sells better than the first I will be sad.

What, based on a damn demo, you hope the game tanks? Why? Because it does not meet your expectations? Wow, so a game has a 'bad' demo and now it should flop...

dwebo

PatMcAtee said:
What, based on a damn demo, you hope the game tanks? Why? Because it does not mean your expectations? Wow, so a game has a 'bad' demo and now it should flop...
I actually liked the demo, and am looking forward to the game. That doesn't meant I'm not disappointed in the direction they're taking the series, though.

Leucrota

dwebo said:
I actually liked the demo, and am looking forward to the game. That doesn't meant I'm not disappointed in the direction they're taking the series, though.

What direction is that? What am I missing?

K.Sabot

REV 09 said:
40 hours is short? come on gaf...
60 hours for the first game (minus the dlc) is stretching it quite a bit. So if they are stretching it relevant to the first game, then I'm predicting around 25 hours.

jhawk6

Lasthope106 said:
How in the hell did I miss this epic OT? I have no freaking idea!

Welcome! Come in for the epic OT and stay for what lies beneath in this crazy thread. I implore you to read the pages

Xilium

PatMcAtee said:

The complaints about the games "direction" have been brought up multiple times throughout this thread but put simply, people don't like the streamlining and console centric focus of the game, PC gamers more so than console gamers obviously.

vocab

PatMcAtee said:

79.jpg

Ysiadmihi said:

Do you make it a habit of agreeing with things you don't agree with?

RyanDG

PatMcAtee said:

Removal of non-combat skills, eliminating advanced aspects of the dialog tree, removal of the ability to choose your specific race, loss of the true overhead view, and less content provided at launch (even by Bioware's own estimation), are all disconcerting for some fans of the original. Additionally, the faster speed to the combat system and the animations it includes are also questionable choices to those who liked the far more grounded combat system of the first title. There is nothing wrong with a game where your warrior or rogue or mage, back flips, shoots lasers, and magically appears in front of enemies slashing with a two-handed sword - but compared to the methodical (which some people actually enjoyed - me being one of them) approach to tactical combat of the first title - these items are all extremely different, even in theory to what we received with DA:O. Yes, some people may like the 'new' feel - but it doesn't mean that there isn't a distinct change of direction in how the combat looks when being played and how the combat feels in terms of skills.

Top Bottom