• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
After the bombastic location-hopping in Origins, it's refreshing to experience such a personal story and become emotionally connected to the struggles of a single community.

C'mon Son!, at least try to hide you got some hush-hush stuff

mik

mik is unbeatable
Those spiders really pull out all the stops.

2jb1l02.gif

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
mik said:
Those spiders really pull out all the stops.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2jb1l02.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Amazing gif sir, I m(_ _)m before you, that boulder scene was downright hilarious

Thnikkaman said:
Choice quote from qbert on SA: "The strategy guide arrived today from Amazon. The entire guide is 271 pages, and the main quest walkthrough for the game encompasses pages 20-45. This seems like it might be a short game."

A whole 25 pages of "Press A to make awesome"?

RyanDG

Gvaz said:
It's literally Shadowstep from WoW.

And the only problem with this is that #1 - normal attacks gain no advantage when behind an enemy like WoW offers. And #2 - the number of attacks that you can build off of the rogue ability in Dragon Age 2 from being behind an enemy (with your positioning), is extremely limited compared to WoW.

In WoW, if you just used Shadowstep, there would still be a reason to seek position behind another enemy once your current one falls and you are still in cooldown (ie, greater chance to hit, greater crit chance, and greater dmg from my understanding - it's been a while since I've played WoW, but I know that in LotRo for example, it was definitely the case). In Dragon Age 2, out of all the skills and everything that I've seen about combat, outside of moving away from an occasional AOE, there is absolutely no reason as a Rogue to seek a more advantageous tactical position behind an enemy if your smoke bomb teleport behind an enemy skill is not up. And furthermore, the smoke bomb teleport skills cool down is only 15 seconds. Even worse, it can be skilled up so its down to 10 seconds.

As a rogue, you are literally able to disappear and reappear behind an enemy at chosen random every 10 seconds. This is your tactical positioning as a rogue.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on this? I mean, is there literally no benefit for a rogue's positioning in combat outside movement away from an AoE and the occasionally smoke poof teleport behind an enemy skill?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Chris Priestly said:
OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.
Official confirmation about auto-attack

Ceebs

water_wendi said:
Someone from the chat called it: this fight is like a Wow raid level fight, phases and all. Kicks the shit out of DA:Os combat by far.
What makes a WoW raid fight interesting is executing all the aspects of it with other real life people. As a solo experience, it's honestly an exercise in tedium.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i love how realistic the items are. You dont know what it is other than "Ring" until you actually compare it. Much more plausible that way.

Zeal

Banned
how can people post such bullshit reviews without hesitation? i remember when your credibility was everything.

finally beat the game and couldn't be happier with it being OVER. this game is total garbage in every conceivable way and a huge step back from DA:O, i'm sorry.

Zeal said:
how can people post such bullshit reviews without hesitation? i remember when your credibility was everything.

finally beat the game and couldn't be happier with it being OVER. this game is total garbage in every conceivable way and a huge step backwards from DA:O, i'm sorry.
WONDER OF WONDERS

Lime

Zeal said:

finally beat the game and couldn't be happier with it being OVER. this game is total garbage in every conceivable way and a huge step back from DA:O, i'm sorry.

But it's the pinnacle of what video games are meant to be!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zeal said:

As I recall you were pretty excited about this one too. Sorry man.

Synless

Zeal said:

Not enough awesome in your playthrough? You must not have hit the right buttons.

Zeal

Banned
do you know what would bring the wonder? if i could press A and the disc wouldn't magically disintegrate in my PS3. something awesome would happen.

Zeal said:

Can you expand on this for GAF

Zeal

Banned
WanderingWind said:
As I recall you were pretty excited about this one too. Sorry man.
it's all good. i honestly tried to give it a fair chance, but it's impossible to keep spoon feeding yourself shit and saying it's the best ice cream you've ever had. what's worse is you're completely impartial in regards to to the fate of your characters too, so if someone dies, you'll usually say "SHIT HAPPENS BRO LOL."

bring on dark souls and skyrim up in here. wash this doodoo outta my mouth.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zeal said:
it's all good. i honestly tried to give it a fair chance, but it's impossible to keep spoon feeding yourself shit and saying it's the best ice cream you've ever had. what's worse is you're completely impartial in regards to to the fate of your characters too, so if someone dies, you'll usually say "SHIT HAPPENS BRO LOL."

bring on dark souls and skyrim up in here. wash this doodoo outta my mouth.

So it is a BROPG.

Fredescu

Ceebs said:
What makes a WoW raid fight interesting is executing all the aspects of it with other real life people. As a solo experience, it's honestly an exercise in tedium.
Eh, each to their own. A single player game with MMO style rules can be fun. A good example of this for me was EZ server, a custom Everquest Emu server . You could box a bunch of characters and send them commands, but not automate them. It would get frantic since obviously you can't pause, but the generally slower pace of Everquest offsets that a bit. I find that style of gameplay a lot of fun. Dawn of War II is kinda similar to that too.

Skeezy

Neo Member
So more from qbert on SA (regarding number of quests and all):

Act 1: 11 secondary, 11 companion, 10 side
Act 2: 9 secondary, 9 companion, 15 side
Act 3: 6 secondary, 9 companion, 9 side

The Map section lists 93 different locations (a few have day/night variants).

Oh WONDER OF WONDERS. GOTY. 10/10.

So hyped for tomorrow.

jtrov

RS4- said:
I think 50 is pretty generous. I'd have to say 30-40 with all the side quests

I'm about 16 hours in and I'm just now
about to go on the Deep Roads expedition with Varric's Brother
. How far does that put me, story wise?

Zeal

Banned
Dark Stalkers said:
My Hawke's name is gonna be Rawke.
just be careful when customizing your character in this game. you get limited lighting when actually designing him/her, so once i had a badass look going on and actually brought Hawke into the game, what did i get?

mothefucker looked like he was injected with 3 tons of botox in his cheeks. with blush on.

Iztli

Gamespot- Dragon Age II: The Exiled Prince Exclusive Hands-On Preview

"DLC is still a relatively new phenomenon," Baudoin admitted. "With Dragon Age: Origins, we'd often have discussions about what we thought the fans wanted, but we'd hit an impasse--one person's gut would say one thing, and another person's gut would say another. We released a lot of different flavors of DLC and learned a great deal. One thing I've learned is that the fans want something close to the original experience. There's a reason they loved your game enough to buy DLC in the first place, so the DLCs that work best are the ones that tell yet more of the tale or add elements that enhance the experience, not replace it."

A DLC preview for a game that hasn't even been released? -.-

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Iztli said:
Gamespot- Dragon Age II: The Exiled Prince Exclusive Hands-On Preview

"DLC is still a relatively new phenomenon," Baudoin admitted. "With Dragon Age: Origins, we'd often have discussions about what we thought the fans wanted, but we'd hit an impasse--one person's gut would say one thing, and another person's gut would say another. We released a lot of different flavors of DLC and learned a great deal. One thing I've learned is that the fans want something close to the original experience. There's a reason they loved your game enough to buy DLC in the first place, so the DLCs that work best are the ones that tell yet more of the tale or add elements that enhance the experience, not replace it."

A DLC preview for a game that hasn't even been released? -.-
The Exiled Prince is the DLC consumers receive for preordering the game back in January. If you didn't preorder it by then, you're paying for it. It is pretty much the biggest reason I won't be buying the game.

Top Bottom