• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Vamphuntr

Like I said earlier in the thread amazon.ca screwed me alright :( . I had preordered the SE in november and now they downgraded it to the regular version. And it's still isn't shipping soon. It list the release day as March 11 (it was the date it was supposed to come out a long time ago) on my order page instead of the 8th while on their regular page it lists the regular edition as coming out on the 8th.

You guys think I can complain to get some credits? They didn't notify me about the downgrade (guess I will get an email during the day tomorrow).

Vamphuntr

Was this posted already? No auto attack in the console version finally confirmed by Bioware "It's because of an error during mastering"

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6395493&lf=8

OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.

MechaX

industrialfan225 said:
That and he posted pictures of his cock over at the gamespot forums, guy is a complete clown.

Well... that kind of killed my already-meh perception of that reviewer.

Zeal

Banned
OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.

if this is not proof that something went totally wrong with this game's development, nothing is.

jackdoe

Vamphuntr said:
Like I said earlier in the thread amazon.ca screwed me alright :( . I had preordered the SE in november and now they downgraded it to the regular version. And it's still isn't shipping soon. It list the release day as March 11 (it was the date it was supposed to come out a long time ago) on my order page instead of the 8th while on their regular page it lists the regular edition as coming out on the 8th.

You guys think I can complain to get some credits? They didn't notify me about the downgrade (guess I will get an email during the day tomorrow).
You should be able to. But, it would probably be better to cancel and wait for the price to go down. The only reason I didn't cancel my pre-order was because it was the Signature Edition and it gave the feeling of perceived value.

Zeliard

So, how exactly do you control every party member individually without auto-attack? The lack of that option seems to basically force you to keep control of one character for the most part, while relying on gambits for the others, which seems to be exactly what Bioware was intending (Normal difficulty is designed to be gotten through controlling only one party member).

God only knows how long certification on the auto-attack patch will take, too.

Zeal

Banned
Zeliard said:
So, how exactly do you control every party member without auto-attack? The lack of that option seems to basically force you to keep control of one character for the most part, which seems to be exactly what Bioware was intending (Normal difficulty is designed to be gotten through controlling only one part member).

God only knows how long certification on the auto-attack patch will take, too.

you assign strategies for each character, such as situational combat moves, and the AI controls them (until you personally switch over to that character), or you can choose to use the game's pre-set strategies for each character.

Zeliard

Zeal said:
you assign strategies for each character, such as situational combat moves, and the AI controls them (until you personally switch over to that character), or you can choose to use the game's pre-set strategies for each character.

Right but for the player who likes to pause a lot and issue individual commands in lieu of gambits, the lack of auto-attack seems to make that a hassle. Unless that only applies to Hawke or something. If you switch to another character and start attacking, then switch to someone else, I assume that first character will have stopped attacking if you, say, have gambits switched off.

You could turn them off in DA:O PC, which I did (till the Advanced Tactics mod came along). Not sure about consoles, or about DA2 in general.

Hilaho

Neo Member
I really, really want to love this game. But what a freaking train wreck so far. An exp glitch, no auto attack for consoles. We really are dirty peasants.

Zeal

Banned
Zeliard said:
Right but for the player who likes to pause a lot and issue individual commands in lieu of gambits, the lack of auto-attack seems to make that a hassle. Unless that only applies to Hawke or something. If you switch to another character and start attacking, then switch to someone else, I assume that first character will have stopped attacking if you, say, have gambits switched off.

You could turn them off in DA:O PC, which I did (till the Advanced Tactics mod came along). Not sure about consoles, or about DA2 in general.
you can set characters to be aggressive, passive, tank, healer, etc. either way, i'm pretty sure they'll always attack in some fashion. but honestly, combat is such a clusterfuck that you don't even know what's happening most of the time. just a bunch of explosions, fire, and blood.

it feels far more like an action game, really. that, or a Dragon Age: Michael Bay Edition.

Zeliard

Zeal said:
you can set characters to be aggressive, passive, tank, healer, etc. either way, i'm pretty sure they'll always attack in some fashion. but honestly, combat is such a clusterfuck that you don't even know what's happening most of the time. just a bunch of explosions, fire, and blood.

I'm only wondering because in DA:O, if you did turn gambits off to have maximum control over the party, your dudes would literally just stand there if you didn't give them a direct order.

Hilaho

Neo Member
Fredescu said:
DA:O had one too. I haven't seen the DA2 one though. Is it something you have to exploit, or can it happen accidentally?

You have to exploit it. And the fact that DA:O had one, and this one was found before the game was even released, kind of makes this one worse. Screams rush job.

Does it bother anyone else that the background of the character select screen is black and everyone is just floating in the air? Very bizarre considering DA:O at least had a background.

CAW

Looks like the STEAM release will be at 3AM EST (midnight PST). Nothing new there though. Just an FYI. :)

jackdoe

ProtoCents said:
Does it bother anyone else that the background of the character select screen is black and everyone is just floating in the air? Very bizarre considering DA:O at least had a background.
That bothers me less than the crappy UI and over dark menu screens.

keuja

Hilaho said:
You have to exploit it. And the fact that DA:O had one, and this one was found before the game was even released, kind of makes this one worse. Screams rush job.

You have to exploit it but it's so easy to reproduce accidentally it's ridiculous. Everyone is bound to discover it at one point during a playthrough. I wonder how it made it past the Q&A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejDf8_7lkw

Vamphuntr

EviLore said:
Chris Priestly saying that it was an honest mistake, eh.

Screwing up one master is one thing but screwing up both PS3 and 360 version is very hilarious and suspicious. Even the review code is supposed to have it (or they told reviewers the retail copy would have it) .Pretty sure they were caught off guard when people complained about the lack of auto attacking and the emphasis on button mashing.

Ryu

"ThierryNguyen Thierry Nguyen
14 hours until my dragon age 2 review goes live. I should probably write it soon."

Posted 2 hours ago so I guess that's 9AM PST for 1up. I don't know if that's true of all websites though.

Also:

"ThierryNguyen Thierry Nguyen
Random behind-the-scenes writing moment: thought of, and immediately deleted, the obscenely stupid quip: "press A to dragon!""

I can't wait for this game to show up tomorrow via Amazon, but I chuckled at that. :)

Aaron

REV 09 said:
So, no midnight reviews? Is it 12pm est tomorrow then?
Never trust early reviews of RPGs. Even with advanced review copies, they'll still be rushing through the game, likely on low difficulty, and it's just not how most people will experience it.

styl3s

Since no one answered my question ill try one more time.

To people who have the 360 version, is it choppy at all? the demo made it feel kind of choppy, just wondering how smooth it runs, this also goes for the PS3 version.

Gonna pick it up in the morning and just wondering if i should get the ps3 or 360 version, what one looks better doesn't matter i just want to know what version runs the smoothest

Vamphuntr said:
Screwing up one master is one thing but screwing up both PS3 and 360 version is very hilarious and suspicious. Even the review code is supposed to have it (or they told reviewers the retail copy would have it) .Pretty sure they were caught off guard when people complained about the lack of auto attacking and the emphasis on button mashing.

It just baffles me that they overlooked something that significant. And, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't BioWare notorious for taking forever to patch bugs in their console games? That with the 360 certification process means it looks like no auto attack on my first playthrough. Oh well, I think I'm just going to download all the pre-release DLC right now and call it a night.

styl3s

What is upsetting everyone? the XP/Money glitch? if so i don't see that big of a problem, it isn't a MMO/Online game and it doesn't ruin the experience for you because you don't have to do it.

Aaron

styl3s said:
What is upsetting everyone? the XP/Money glitch? if so i don't see that big of a problem, it isn't a MMO/Online game and it doesn't ruin the experience for you because you don't have to do it.
It's nitpicking, especially when just about every western RPG is chock full of bugs. If glitches like this are the worst Skyrim will suffer from, I'll be shocked personally.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
So I just read the PC Gamer review and I'm wondering why none of the genuinely interesting and positive aspects are being mentioned.

People are crying foul at the idea of the game taking place entirely in one city, when the reviewer brings up the benefits. I'm excited to be continually reminded of the moral decisions I made throughout the game, and getting to know a place inside and out like a home. Seems you can make a single place much more intricate than when you have to build 10 separate towns.

The review talks about the world of DA2 being more fleshed out, the characters being better, the combat being both more satisfying and tactically deeper, the storytelling being better.

Game is sounding like a lot of fun, just seems the usual "change = evil" arguments are most of the negative sentiments I've seen.

styl3s said:

The exp/money glitch is one thing, it's Bioware afterall, but forgetting to include the file for auto attack on consoles is ridiculous.

ChaosDent

Zeliard said:
I'm only wondering because in DA:O, if you did turn gambits off to have maximum control over the party, your dudes would literally just stand there if you didn't give them a direct order.

I actually experimented with this in the PC demo. After disabling all the conditional tactics slots, I just used the behavior switch (which was set to Aggressive for every character by default) to Defender, Aggressive and Ranged based on intended party role. And yes, with no conditional tactics set, every party member except the currently controlled character would move and basic attack without direction. I'm assuming the PS3 version will work this way, since I've got it coming as a rental, I intend to play through the game on PS3 Nightmare this way with tactics minimized so area spell effects don't kill us all.

It's a crying shame about the auto attack option, but it just reinforces my belief that you can't trust assurances of changes from a game as shown, whether in a demo or at an event like E3.

kai3345

Banned
tadcalabash said:
So I just read the PC Gamer review and I'm wondering why none of the genuinely interesting and positive aspects are being mentioned.

People are crying foul at the idea of the game taking place entirely in one city, when the reviewer brings up the benefits. I'm excited to be continually reminded of the moral decisions I made throughout the game, and getting to know a place inside and out like a home..
This would be cool, if you go tto explore every nook and cranny of the city by game's end, but from what reviews and people in this thread aree saying, its only being used as an excuse to recycle dungeons.

Top Bottom