• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Conflict NZ said:
Just had a friend tell me that the Nvidia DX11 bug is still in the full version of the game, the one where enabling DX11 while using a Nvidia card would cause a framerate in the single digits, multiple rendering errors causing black boxes all over the place. Any confirmation on this?

I think the latest Nvidia beta drivers fixed this, I know it improved compatibility with DA2.

Zeal

Banned
just a quick question. did the original team that did DA:O at bioware actually make this? because i don't believe it if true.

Basileus777 said:
I think the latest Nvidia beta drivers fixed this, I know it improved compatibility with DA2.

be careful, people on the official forums are reporting tons of problems with these.

i know this term is overused, but god what a clusterfuck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zeal said:
just a quick question. did the original team that did DA:O at bioware actually make this? because i don't believe it if true.
It's essentially the entire team from the first game plus a whole bunch of other staff since the team was twice as large this time.

kai3345

Banned
Zeal said:

Didn't most of the original team quit after they heard the direction they wanted to take the series or something?

Zeal

Banned
Nirolak said:
It's essentially the entire team from the first game plus a whole bunch of other staff since the team was twice as large this time.

absolutely unbelievable. i'm hoping those finishing up Mass Effect 3 have nothing whatsoever to do with this team, because both ME1 and 2 were amazing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kai3345 said:
Didn't most of the original team quit after they heard the direction they wanted to take the series or something?
In imaginary lala land.

A grand total of one guy left, and that wasn't until after the project was done.

Truant

Zeal said:
absolutely unbelievable. i'm hoping those finishing up Mass Effect 3 have nothing whatsoever to do with this team, because both ME1 and 2 were amazing.

That's because the ME universe has some identity to it. I don't know what Dragon Age really is, and I don't think Bioware does either.

MrBelmontvedere said:
this all reminds me of the travesty that was Gothic 4. totally dumbed down and not even enjoyable on it's own casual merits.

Please, this is quite the overgeneralization. I'm playing it now, and it's great. Yes there is no Origin story, and yes there is a fucking wheel, but the combat is great, the story seems solid, and it definitely improves on a myriad of ways over the original.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Truant said:
That's because the ME universe has some identity to it. I don't know what Dragon Age really is, and I don't think Bioware does either.
Dragon Age is shy elven beddable bitches.

And waking up in bed next to a large hairless mole.

Ceebs

MrBelmontvedere said:
this all reminds me of the travesty that was Gothic 4. totally dumbed down and not even enjoyable on it's own casual merits.
Similar concept, but nothing compares to what they did to the corpse of Gothic. That was like dressing the deceased as a clown at a funeral viewing.

Truant said:
Dragon Age is supposed to be a dark and gritty fantasy universe. Bioware's fantasy series. Maybe it doesn't work for you, but I'd say it has it's identity in the Bioware staple.

Truant

Rahxephon91 said:
Dragon Age is supposed to be a dark and gritty fantasy universe. Bioware's fantasy series. Maybe it doesn't work for you, but I'd say it has it's identity in the Bioware staple.

The only identity it has is the red/white imagery, which has nothing to do with the actual games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in!

Very high and all graphics settings maxed! Only 2x AA, though.

I really should be sleeping, but I gotta play this for a bit...

Saren is Bad said:
Please, this is quite the overgeneralization. I'm playing it now, and it's great. Yes there is no Origin story, and yes there is a fucking wheel, but the combat is great, the story seems solid, and it definitely improves on a myriad of ways over the original.

to each his own. personally I find the combat ferociously boring. there's no strategy involved, I can win with my eyes closed. they've taken an entire 180 here. from hardcore RPG in DA:O to... this thing. the enemies are so easy they have too compensate by just sending mindless waves at you.

it's a completely different game from DA:O and not in a good way.

MrBelmontvedere said:
to each his own. personally I find the combat ferociously boring. there's no strategy involved, I can win with my eyes closed. they've taken an entire 180 here. from hardcore RPG in DA:O to... this thing. the enemies are so easy they have too compensate by just sending mindless waves at you.

it's a completely different game from DA:O and not in a good way.

The loss of auto-attack is shit, so you do end up mashing A-button, but the tactics are still there, as are pausing and such, especially on higher difficulties. I just don't get the immense hate for the game, maybe I should have played DA:O on a PC ;-P

Ceebs

Saren is Bad said:
The loss of auto-attack is shit, so you do end up mashing A-button, but the tactics are still there, as are pausing and such, especially on higher difficulties. I just don't get the immense hate for the game, maybe I should have played DA:O on a PC ;-P
The problem is the change of combat speed. The game moves too fast to offer a satisfying tactical experience. The enemies are mindless waves of cannon fodder, and pausing has become unnecessary and just drags out the fights. Yeah you can pause and issue orders and have it look like you are playing the same game as Origins, but it's just a dog and pony show. Worst case scenario is you may pause so you can use potions when your health drops.

Im so on the fence about this game. I keep trying to conivnce myself that I dont want this game but I did enjoy the demo. I'm thinking I should just wait until there is an Ultimate edition or GOTY version.

Aaron

Rahxephon91 said:
Ok then what's Mass Effects so called identity?
Mass Effect is the discovery of ancient technology, which allows humans to join a loose knit group of more advanced aliens, who naturally resent these pushy newcomers who think they should be running the show, complete with tensions between these aliens races due to wars in their past history. Then things go to shit when human colonies are struck by an unknown race of aliens, turning people into monsters. Which is your job to uncover the answers to.

Dragon Age is fantasy tropes one and two, ANCIENT EVIL and EVIL USURPER. Set in the movie version of Lord of the Rings, only MORE BADASS! It's essentially the world of the Witcher done horribly wrong.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
For those who have got it installed and now playing, is there a noticable difference with the HD texture pack added than without? I am curious to see people's reactions to how the game looks and in higher settings (Direct X 10/11) in the full game.

lemmming

so something weird happened today.
I went to the direct2drive homepage to check out what the actual release date for uk would be and all of the sudden, everyone of d2d's pages were redirected to some weird sub-url (support.d2d.com or something like that).
either that was just a layout I've reaaally never seen before, or their page got hacked so people enter their user information :)
anyone else spot that as well?

btw. now the page is down, but it was up for a few hours before that.

Zzoram

I hear they released a high res texture pack on their official website. Anyone tested it to see if it makes the shoulder pads not ugly in close-ups? It's nice to see they bothered to make better textures for the PC version although I think it's lame they didn't just bundle it with the game as a toggle.

Ceebs

Aaron said:
Mass Effect is the discovery of ancient technology, which allows humans to join a loose knit group of more advanced aliens, who naturally resent these pushy newcomers who think they should be running the show, complete with tensions between these aliens races due to wars in their past history. Then things go to shit when human colonies are struck by an unknown race of aliens, turning people into monsters. Which is your job to uncover the answers to.

Dragon Age is fantasy tropes one and two, ANCIENT EVIL and EVIL USURPER. Set in the movie version of Lord of the Rings, only MORE BADASS!
Mass Effect is just as cliché as anything in Dragon Age. Sci-Fi just happens to not be as overdone in games.

assuming your post was not sarcasm. I can't tell in this thread anymore.

Aaron said:

Dragon Age is fantasy tropes one and two, ANCIENT EVIL and EVIL USURPER. Set in the movie version of Lord of the Rings, only MORE BADASS! It's essentially the world of the Witcher done horribly wrong.
I just don't know how to react to this post. So many detectors going off!

Aaron

Ceebs said:
Mass Effect is just as cliché as anything in Dragon Age. Sci-Fi just happens to not be as overdone in games.

assuming your post was not sarcasm. I can't tell in this thread anymore.
The premise of Mass Effect is cliched, but the story it crafts is interesting and doesn't always go in the direction you expect. While Dragon Age is a straight up bad fantasy novel in game form. Everything is as trite as possible, everything goes in the most obvious direction, whole sub-plots are lifted from other stories, etc. The whole thing with the kid possessed by a devil was in one of the Witcher novels for instance, though I think it was derived from a folk tale anyway.

There's a craft to the world of Mass Effect that I found lacking in Dragon Age. The latter felt like a bunch of elements just thrown together, while ME was more consistent and whole.

Also, when Alistar told me he was the bastard son of the king, I wanted to toss my copy of the game out of the window, but alas I had bought a digital copy.

Mass Effect's story only goes in the obvious directions. It's the most cliched type of sci-fi story you can get.

ME's world is no more special or well crafted as DA's world. At least in DA there's a real sense of being and actual political and social dynamics to be seen that you interact with. In ME I haven't even seen some of the aliens other sexes and most of their worlds are as foreign to me as possible. But wait it wont matter when humans are revealed to be the POWER of the universe in 3. Man did'nt see that coming.

Truant said:
Bioware knows what Mass Effect is, and that shows in the games. It seems to me that Bioware isn't quite sure what they want Dragon Age to be, they're still figuring it out, case in point DA1 vs DA2.
Really? outside of the lack of specific art design, it's pretty clear what DA is. A supposedly dark and mature fantasy franchisee. There's really no mistaking that.

Truant

Cliche or not, there is no mistaking the identity of Mass Effect. It has a clearly defined protagonist, a visual style that is recognizeable, an overarching plot and theme that is present in both marketing and the games, as well as other details such as music, technology, and other things that defines the ME universe.

Bioware knows what Mass Effect is, and that shows in the games. It seems to me that Bioware isn't quite sure what they want Dragon Age to be, they're still figuring it out, case in point DA1 vs DA2.

jackdoe

Oh damn. I've been reading some pretty damning reports regarding Dragon Age 2's performance problems on PC. Which was not to be unexpected considering that with Dragon Age we had a memory leak that took months to fix, and with Mass Effect 2 we had loading issues with dual core processors that again took months to fix (officially; I did the whole processor affinity bullshit). I got screwed both times, and I'll probably get screwed again.

Aaron

Rahxephon91 said:
Mass Effect's story only goes in the obvious directions. It's the most cliched type of sci-fi story you can get.
I think there are moments that escape the norm, especially involving Wrex and the plight of his people with the mad doctor working for Saren. Also the whole thing with Liara and her mother. If you summed the core plot in a few sentences, it sounds purely predictable, but it succeeded for me in the way it handled the details. Dragon Age lacked the same finesse.

Zzoram said:
I hear they released a high res texture pack on their official website. Anyone tested it to see if it makes the shoulder pads not ugly in close-ups? It's nice to see they bothered to make better textures for the PC version although I think it's lame they didn't just bundle it with the game as a toggle.
yeah, it should have been in the game.

here is the link if anyone is interested

http://social.bioware.com/page/da2-patches
High Resolution Texture Pack
Download Size: 1.08GB
Note: In order to enable the "Very High" setting you will need a video card that supports DX11 and the latest drivers.
This will add the option to enable higher detail replacements for most textures in game. A big difference will be noticed on level art especially.

jackdoe

And I checked the game promotions for Dragon Age 2 on Bioware's site. PS3 owners of Dead Space 2 DO get the armor for PC or 360. Hm. At least that's a nice bonus.

lemmming said:
I played the initial pc release of da:eek: and had no problems whatsoever. just saying.
You were lucky. There was a well known memory leak issue for Dragon Age Origins that caused loading times to become excruciatingly long and caused framerate dips at weird moments.

ZombieFred said:
For those who have got it installed and now playing, is there a noticable difference with the HD texture pack added than without? I am curious to see people's reactions to how the game looks and in higher settings (Direct X 10/11) in the full game.

I don't know yet, but I'm glad you asked. I wasn't aware of the pack until your post and my few minutes with the full game were (in terms of graphics) a bit of a bummer.

RedStep

Rahxephon91 said:

ME's world is no more special or well crafted as DA's world. At least in DA there's a real sense of being and actual political and social dynamics to be seen that you interact with. In ME I haven't even seen some of the aliens other sexes and most of their worlds are as foreign to me as possible. But wait it wont matter when humans are revealed to be the POWER of the universe in 3. Man did'nt see that coming.

Really? outside of the lack of specific art design, it's pretty clear what DA is. A supposedly dark and mature fantasy franchisee. There's really no mistaking that.

It's okay that you feel that way, you have bad taste.

ME exists in a world that BioWare created; the various races, the Citadel, the political structure, etc. It's not perfect, but it is an original creation (despite familiar concepts being employed).

DA exists in a "standard" fantasy world. We got our elves, our dwarves, and our Mages right here. This is a "take" on a set of established creations.

I like them both a great deal, but one is considerably more generic than the other.

Top Bottom