• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Screenshot2-2.jpg

hmm...

K.Sabot

kai3345 said:
this post makes no sense
My only conclusion is that there was never such a thing as a disc release of Dragon Age 2, and I'll have to spend the next 2 days downloading it over my shitty internet.

Back with the game, installing now.

First impression of the guide: really fucking weird. It basically gives you a 20 page walkthrough of the entire game, then dives into about 70 pages of quests. About 30 of tactics and strats, then bestiary, etc. Not sure if its poorly designed because that may be how the game flows, dunno. Good art and really clean though. Class insight and companion shit is all here too. Ask if you want to know if something is covered.

Just had a friend tell me that the Nvidia DX11 bug is still in the full version of the game, the one where enabling DX11 while using a Nvidia card would cause a framerate in the single digits, multiple rendering errors causing black boxes all over the place. Any confirmation on this?

Colocho

Banned
I know it's obviously been discussed, but there are too many pages to read. I never played the first one, will I be ok just grabbing this one or are the 2 very heavily connected storywise?

kai3345

Banned
K.Sabot said:
My only conclusion is that there was never such a thing as a disc release of Dragon Age 2, and I'll have to spend the next 2 days downloading it over my shitty internet.
why wouldnt you pre load? theyve had that available for the past couple of days now

Just had a friend tell me that the Nvidia DX11 bug is still in the full version of the game, the one where enabling DX11 while using a Nvidia card would cause a framerate in the single digits, multiple rendering errors causing black boxes all over the place. Any confirmation on this?
Fuck. Seriously? God fucking damn it BioWare! Did you guys hire monkeys to create your game or something? fuck

jackdoe

Conflict NZ said:
That would be epic fail but wouldn't surprise me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I forgot that I have a LAN center, and am obligated to have this game. So, I went and picked up one of the 2 (!)PC copies that Gamestop had and a 360 copy at the midnight launch. Installing now, about to start playing with the high res texture pack, DX 11 and on Nightmare. Honk if you want me to stream it.

GillianSeed79 said:
The exp/money glitch is one thing, it's Bioware afterall, but forgetting to include the file for auto attack on consoles is ridiculous.

People should stop propagating the possibility that this was a mistake. They've been asked multiple times over the past month if it was in there, and we got contradictory answers and vague mumblings. They hid it from us. At the very least, they knew it wasn't on the final disc long before today. You honestly think nobody played the final build at Bioware before today? When the public has been playing it early for the past 3 days? And when asked why it wasn't in there 3 days ago they claimed it was because "people are playing illegal copies".

They lied and hid it from us, because they thought they knew what we wanted, and they didn't. Mike Laidlaw can go fuck himself.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fuuuuuuuuck all my streaming equipment is at the shop. I thought I brought it home :(

edit: God I have to register all 4 of these keys I got at gamestop

Spruchy

_tetsuo_ said:
I forgot that I have a LAN center, and am obligated to have this game. So, I went and picked up one of the 2 (!)PC copies that Gamestop had and a 360 copy at the midnight launch. Installing now, about to start playing with the high res texture pack, DX 11 and on Nightmare. Honk if you want me to stream it.

If you don't have all that DLC bs have fun with nightmare!

vocab

_tetsuo_ said:

I wouldnt mind watching some on nightmare.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
B&W cover for the manual? For real? Doin' it like that in the 011?

And I'm trying to see if I can find the cables I need in my closet to stream. Give me a few minutes guys.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Conflict NZ said:

Although currently only in beta stage, the latest Nvidia v267 drivers do solve that unfortunate issue.

K.Sabot said:
You mean to tell me that a midnight release doesn't have the PC version?

PC Peasants indeed.

It's okay, in a couple months when all the mods are fully fleshed out and people start posting all the updated screenshots of their modded DA2's in the PC Screenshot thread, all the console gamers will look at their version of DA2 and think about how screwed they got with their version. :)

_tetsuo_ said:
B&W cover for the manual? For real? Doin' it like that in the 011?
All Ea games are like that. Hell even Sony has B&W manuals now.

Edit-Oh cover! Really? That's pretty lame. The manual's cover is colored for the 360 SE though.

gdt

Whew! Almost done with Awakenings, I'll absolutely be done before DAII is here. Excite! Give it to me Bioware.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Release date check just bitch slapped me :-/

Rahxephon91 said:
All Ea games are like that. Hell even Sony has B&W manuals now.

Edit-Oh cover! Really? That's pretty lame. The manual is covered for the 360 SE though.

Yea, I was pretty surprised.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mid-coast will be able to tell you in about 8 minutes. Hopefully. If not I'm playing some fucking Pokemon like a man.

Riposte said:
It puts DAII's hub on some sort of pedestal by making it a big deal/over explaining it and dropping a New York story into it. He is making it seem the sheer execution of a hub sound more impressive than it really is. It is something that has been done probably a hundred times. The review blows. (EDIT: Also don't wildly accuse me of not knowing what a word means. Go look it up.)

I don't need to look it up. Pretentious doesn't work for what you're describing. If you're going to rip the guy for writing a review, at least do it intelligently.

kitzkozan

Punchy4486 said:
People should stop propagating the possibility that this was a mistake. They've been asked multiple times over the past month if it was in there, and we got contradictory answers and vague mumblings. They hid it from us. At the very least, they knew it wasn't on the final disc long before today. You honestly think nobody played the final build at Bioware before today? When the public has been playing it early for the past 3 days? And when asked why it wasn't in there 3 days ago they claimed it was because "people are playing illegal copies".

They lied and hid it from us, because they thought they knew what we wanted, and they didn't. Mike Laidlaw can go fuck himself.

I completely agree. No way did they forget about auto-attack for the consoles.Anyway,at least it seem like they will try to fix some of the mess they created. :p

Hilaho said:
I really, really want to love this game. But what a freaking train wreck so far. An exp glitch, no auto attack for consoles. We really are dirty peasants.

Did the exp glitch in Origins destroy that game for you as well? How about the lame controls in Origins (such as not being able to attack a moving target with a rogue until that target stopped moving)?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well I was trying to get one last DAO achievement (Side with Blehlen) before DA2 and I am about an hour out from it, maybe I'll do that now. I'll pick up DA2 at lunch tomorrow.

Aaron said:
Never trust early reviews of RPGs. Even with advanced review copies, they'll still be rushing through the game, likely on low difficulty, and it's just not how most people will experience it.

So none of us should trust the people on GAF currently telling us how terrible it was after beating it over the past few days?

Sober

tadcalabash said:
So I just read the PC Gamer review and I'm wondering why none of the genuinely interesting and positive aspects are being mentioned.

People are crying foul at the idea of the game taking place entirely in one city, when the reviewer brings up the benefits. I'm excited to be continually reminded of the moral decisions I made throughout the game, and getting to know a place inside and out like a home. Seems you can make a single place much more intricate than when you have to build 10 separate towns.

The review talks about the world of DA2 being more fleshed out, the characters being better, the combat being both more satisfying and tactically deeper, the storytelling being better.

Game is sounding like a lot of fun, just seems the usual "change = evil" arguments are most of the negative sentiments I've seen.
From what I played of the demo when it came out, I was sorta on the fence on whether or not I should get it. On one hand, I felt Bioware took better control of the world they created in DA1 by redesigning characters (though still hit-and-miss IMO) and making the setting more stylized than the semi-generic fantasy look in most of DA1.

I'm not someone who hardcored their way though BG2 and IWD (or even played em, so sue me), but I'm still trying to get the hang of the AI controls in NWN2 combat, but DA:O really did get me to start playing that way: Pull the camera all the way back and get your hands dirty with every detail in the combat. Next up, maybe I'll give TOEE another try.

That being the case, I'm definitely waiting for mods, maybe the Ultimate Edition. Mods because I really did not like the lack of a iso-style camera zoom, as it was pretty pathetic from what I could do with the camera in the demo and hopefully a mod will address that. Also, I've been burned enough trying to day-1 perch games and never get interested in DLC or complain about pre-order bonuses.

But from what I saw in the demo I liked what I saw but I'm cautiously optimistic about DA2, regardless of what reviews are saying. It's Bioware so I obviously expect certain standards with what I'm getting out of storytelling and their attempt to ... differentiate the DA universe from a LOTR clone is a good direction, at least.

Grisby

Played the opening tutorial and made it to the next big deal.

I really like it. The combat feels way faster then in DAO. I'm a bit split on the dialog wheel but I do like hearing my main MC talking.

Oh and
Flemmeth came back for a min. That was cool.

So tired. Going to bed. Can't wait to lay into this baby tomorrow.

Gvaz

Banned
Hrm, playing on hard is rather easy. I want to put it to nightmare, but....I don't want to have to deal with friendly fire.

Choices, choices...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gvaz said:
Hrm, playing on hard is rather easy. I want to put it to nightmare, but....I don't want to have to deal with friendly fire.

Choices, choices...

At my place we have a motto. Don't be a pussy, be a savage.

Vamphuntr

So I'm reading the support forum and it seems there is a glitch in the 360 version that can prevent you from changing your main character's name. Man the QA for that seemed to have been AWESOME indeed.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The old Baldur's Gate-style isometrical view has been taken out, right?

Atilac

Vamphuntr said:
So I'm reading the support forum and it seems there is a glitch in the 360 version that can prevent you from changing your main character's name. Man the QA for that seemed to have been AWESOME indeed.
Bioware becoming the next Obsidian confirmed?

Grisby

Vamphuntr said:

Didn't have that problem an hour or so ago.

Gabe Hawke is ready to rock. Yo.

Top Bottom