• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Gattsu25

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
For getting armor, duh!

Glad to see Bioware is still sticking with the Diablo 2 stat distribution system: pump enough of a stat to be able to equip gear, max best stat after that.

Stat distribution should just disappear entirely. It brings nothing to the games whatsoever.
That's not what I'm saying at all. There should be equipment that is geared toward all character builds, such as blood mages. Have mage gear with constitution/magic stats requirements for them. Then again, they may have armor like this later on...

Gattsu25 said:
wait...mage armor has willpower requirements? How is willpower useful for a blood mage? arrgh
Willpower effects the size of the mana/stamina pool the character has.
dark10x said:
You keep posting that tower shot, but really, that doesn't accurately represent the visuals throughout. The game looks pretty uneven and plain most of the time.

Stylistically, DA:O seems very generic. DA2 isn't amazing, but I think it looks quite a bit more stylized and unique.
and stylisticly DA2 looks like ass at times. But how is that relevant to the "DA2 looks better than DA:O" argument? Do we have to catalog every area in both games and then split them into "looks good" and "looks bad" piles so than we can compare the size of those piles and determine that one game does indeed look better than the other?

X-Frame

Does anyone want to join the closed beta for Dragon Age: Legends?

It's a Facebook game - but you can unlock 4 or 5 items to use in DA2 for completing quests in the game.

First 5 people to PM me each get a code.

EDIT: ALL GONE. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
and stylisticly DA2 looks like ass at times.
I suppose. Honestly, I don't even think Shit Mountain looks that bad while playing.

I've just come off of playing DA:O for the first time as well, so I'm very fresh on them both.

Fredescu

Lostconfused said:
Willpower effects the size of the mana/stamina pool the character has.
Yeah. So, not very useful for blood mages. Which was his point. If willpower really is a required stat for all good cloth armour, it's a bit shitty.

Fredescu said:
Yeah. So, not very useful for blood mages. Which was his point. If willpower really is a required stat for all good cloth armour, it's a bit shitty.
Dark Stalkers said:
Blood mages use health for their mana pool though.
So what you are saying is that the entire class should be ballanced around one potential specilization? Is arcane warrior still in like in DA:O. Because they they should have put something like 42 strength requirement on robes just for shits and giggles.

Edit: Anyways the reasoning is clearly that any mage that isn't a blood mage is going to dump points into willpower. So they set all mage armor to be based around willpower and said fuck it, its too much work to do customize it for specilizations. Probably.

Edit: Oh does Willpower still effect mental resistance? Don't remember if thats still around in DA2.

Fredescu

Lostconfused said:
So what you are saying is that the entire class should be ballanced around one potential specilization?
What? No, just that they should have a large variety of armour. Bioware seem to be the only ones incapable of doing this.

Gattsu25

Banned
Lostconfused said:
So what you are saying is that the entire class should be ballanced around one potential specilization? Is arcane warrior still in like in DA:O. Because they they should have put something like 42 strength requirement on robes just for shits and giggles.
Not asking for all gear to conform to blood mages, was just asking if there was any gear that is useful for a blood mage that doesn't force dumping points into a stat that is, otherwise, not useful for the build.

It would be like requiring an archer to dump points into a melee attack stat just because all leather armor was designed with melee stats in mind.

IMO, there should be gear that supports specific builds. There should be gear that useful for blood mages as well as gear that is useful for mana using mages. Hopefully, gear that is useful crops up as the game progresses.

More options.

Fredescu said:
What? No, just that they should have a large variety of armour. Bioware seem to be the only ones incapable of doing this.
They kind of painted them selves into a corner with Dragon Age in that sense. They don't have the variety of stats/atributes and status effects of DnD so they cant make items that effect trivial stuff like ability to pick locks, charm/intimidate skills or crafting or sneaking or whatever. Or have use/per day items or have stuff that gives you haste or something.

On the other hand their stat system is still closer to DnD where there isn't a massive inflation of stats as the game progress, 1 or 2 extra strength is still a huge deal. So they can't have item progression of Diablo where you find items that give you +2 then +4 or +12 to a stat and so on.
Gattsu25 said:
It would be like requiring an archer to dump points into a melee attack stat just because all leather armor was designed with melee stats in mind.

IMO, there should be gear that supports specific builds. There should be gear that useful for blood mages as well as gear that is useful for mana using mages.

More options.
Haha but that's exactly what you had to do in origins. You needed 20 str to have best rogue armor. Do you have to still do that in DA2? Of course you didn't actually HAVE to dump points into that stat because you could just equip items with +str on them to let you wear that armor. And actually STR had an effect for archers and melee rogues.

Jesus, I've been doing these stupid ass kirkwall quests for the last damn 9+ hours, fucking hate this place and at this rate I don't see myself making another character.

Vamphuntr

Angelus Errare said:
Jesus, I've been doing these stupid ass kirkwall quests for the last damn 9+ hours, fucking hate this place and at this rate I don't see myself making another character.

It's not the RPG of the decade?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
water_wendi said:
They hate it so much they keep playing it for hours on end. DA2 is Biowares best game to date.
That's not fair, it's called having hope, giving it a chance to get better. Even though I didn't like it as I went through, I played FFXII for 40 hours before I felt that I could rightfully say it completely blows. It took me 20 hours to like Fallout 3, and now I really like it. They could be in process of figuring out which of these directions DA2 will take for them.

I'm liking the focus on Kirkwall. It makes for a very different kind of rpg. Doesn't feel very epic yet. Right now it just feels like I'm dude(well girl) trying to make her way in the world and I like that.

Vamphuntr

Are the party members more interesting than those in DAO? I really liked them except for Sten so I hope they are at least as good as them. I don't mind if the main plot isn't totally epic if at least I can get some fun out of the game and if the characters are at least interesting.

kai3345 said:
Ima fuck the shit out of Aveline though
Pretty sure you can't, or at least last time I checked she isn't one of the 5 romance options.
Vamphuntr said:
I really liked them except for Sten so I hope they are at least as good as them
I liked Sten. He was cliche but unique in the world of Dragon Age, strict and rigid, following a very specific morale code. Also, kinda funy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rahxephon91 said:
I'm liking the focus on Kirkwall.
You are crazy. There are a lot of misplaced criticisms on the game, but the repetitive nature of one of the blandest and least attractive RPG cities in the history of RPGs is this game's biggest hang up.

I didn't finish the first Dragon age.

Anyone here on the same situation, enjoying DA:2?

Better question. Is finishing the first one required to enjoy this one?

X-Frame

Damnit my DA2: Signature Edition order STILL says "ORDER PROCESSED: READY FOR UPS"

What the shit is that? It's been saying that for the last 24 hours?

One-Day Shipping, estimated to arrive today.

styl3s said:
I don't care about reviews they mean nothing to me nor factor into game purchasing, i am only like 2 hours in the game i absolutely love it, i know alot of people have been complaining but i didn't bother investigating why because the majority of gamers bitch to bitch.

Got the 360 version and i only came across 1 problem which was FPS loss during a quick cut scene which didn't bother me, i dig the "simple" combat as some cry about and i find the graphics to be fine, defiantly going to sink 100+ hours in this easily.

Gee, it must be nice to paint with such broad strokes, instead of caring enough for the reasons to begin with. You even said it right there.

kamspy

I really like this game. I think there is some strategy to be had. At least enough for me (on Hard). I can't walk through battles, and I've had to replay some miniboss encounters because I wasn't focused. Combat seems fine. I'm playing two handed warrior. Graphics look good enough. Maybe I'm selling myself short. I do expect some optimization to make DX10 playable. If I could just use the whole texture pack and AF I'd be fine with DX9. For some reason driver AF gives me some vertical banding across the whole screen. Most noticably in cutscenes.

Whatever tech shit aside, I'm having fun. It's more Dragon Age. My main concern going in was that it would stray too far from Origins, but if anything, DA2's greatest fault is it's too much like Origins and doesn't evolve enough.

Having a good time though. It was really hard to put down. I'd recommend it to Dragon Age fans without reservation.

Rahxephon91 said:
I'm liking the focus on Kirkwall. It makes for a very different kind of rpg. Doesn't feel very epic yet. Right now it just feels like I'm dude(well girl) trying to make her way in the world and I like that.

The whole "just another dude" approach is a good concept, I just hate the city itself. The game is holding my interest, but dear god this city sucks complete ass.

All I want to know is am I going to be chillin in Kirkwall for the entire game? I'm willing to put up with it in order to get to the awesome shit, I played through DAO five different times. I'm praying at hour 10 I don't have much more of Kirkwall to go.

Gestahl

Angelus Errare said:
The whole "just another dude" approach is a good concept, I just hate the city itself. The game is holding my interest, but dear god this city sucks complete ass.

All I want to know is am I going to be chillin in Kirkwall for the entire game? I'm willing to put up with it in order to get to the awesome shit, I played through DAO five different times. I'm praying at hour 10 I don't have much more of Kirkwall to go.

No amount of prayer is going to help you.

Lord-Audie said:
I didn't finish the first Dragon age.

Anyone here on the same situation, enjoying DA:2?

Better question. Is finishing the first one required to enjoy this one?

I didn't finish the first and picked the DA2 today. After putting 3-4 hours in it, I would have to say it fall under the category of better looking but practically the exact same game. Who knows if it will hold my attention but I have a feeling it will be shorter than the first.

jackdoe said:
Nvidia cards have issues with this game.
NOTE TO NVIDIA USERS

Nvidia has not officially supported this game yet. On current drivers with the high res texture pack the game is completely unplayable. Maxed out I was getting around 8fps and all kinds of weird missing textures.

If you have an NVIDIA card and want to play this game on "very high" you need to install the beta driver that has support for DA2. It does not help a lot with frame rates but it fixes all the textures. ALL decent Decent NVIDIA cards will most likely get awful frame rates maxed out until the next official driver release maxed out with the new driver I was getting about 15fps. I am currently playing happily at 40-50fps settings: High, 4xAA and 4X antistropic filtering.

Here is the link to the BETA drivers from Nvida

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...ta-driver.html
Bob Saget!!!

Just when I switch to Nvidia this happens...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ilikeme said:
<3

I haven't played a Bioware game since KOTOR but I always check out the romance cutscenes!
WTF why does it have half the animation of Mass Effect 2? They look like puppets. Was this made by their B-team or something?

kai3345

Banned
This is pissing me off: I blow through battles on normal, but when I bumb it up to Hard it seems like my party does hardly any damage at all and I wipe almost every battle

dimb

kai3345 said:
This is pissing me off: I blow through battles on easy, but when I bumb it up to Hard it seems like my party does hardly any damage at all and I wipe almost every battle
Yeah, hating the game balance. There's not really a good in between, and hard battles don't feel like something I can overcome, they are simply impossible with my group gear/comp.

Einbroch

Banned
Just play it on Normal and be happy.

Want a challenge? Have you and your party kill the Mage in the group of enemies last.

Instant hard mode.

dimb

kai3345 said:
The enemies that appear mid battle out of thin air dont help with the difficulty issue either
The best part is when I've planned out a strategy with my allotted mana/energy/cooldowns and have 8 more dudes pop up out of the ground after I unpause it.

Dartastic

Sooooo.... is the game as ass as the demo?

Not trolling, I loved DA:O and I genuinely thought the demo was awful. Not sure I can trust reviews on this one.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kai3345 said:
This is pissing me off: I blow through battles on easy, but when I bumb it up to Hard it seems like my party does hardly any damage at all and I wipe almost every battle
Thats so realistic! Not all challenges in real life are the same level of difficulty. Real life isnt "just right" porridge. Ups and downs and streaks of both. Art.

kai3345

Banned
water_wendi said:
Thats so realistic! Not all challenges in real life are the same level of difficulty. Real life isnt "just right" porridge. Ups and downs and streaks of both. Art.
fuck i meant to say normal

Lostconfused said:
Pretty sure you can't, or at least last time I checked she isn't one of the 5 romance options.

I liked Sten. He was cliche but unique in the world of Dragon Age, strict and rigid, following a very specific morale code. Also, kinda funy.

Hawke has
heart(symbol for pro-romance lines) dialogue options with her, but she has her eyes on one of the guard.

I think it's possible to get her if you ruin her chances with the guy or maybe you can't get her anyway because she's too dense to see that you're trying to get in her pants.

Patryn

I dunno. I've just started the game, and I'm feeling so disconnected from everything. I understand what Bioware was trying to go for with this new approach to story-telling, but I feel little to no connection with Hawke. Maybe it's comparing it to Origins, where the Origin did a great job connecting you with your character?

Then again, I felt connected to Shepard right away.

I think part of the problem is that it feels so disjointed. It's like "This thing happened, then a lot of time passes, then you play this little scene, then a year passes, etc, etc."

And the game feels so lifeless. I make it Kirkwall, and people keep saying that there are all these refugees, and I look at an empty courtyard. It's weird.

The writing is also really lazy and terrible. Such as (early minor spoiler)
Bethany talking about Aveline's new job. She says something like "Maybe Aveline could help us. She's now a town guard." But shouldn't Hawke already know that? It's a fucking lazy way to convey that information. Just changing it to "Now that Aveline's a town guard, maybe she can help us." would achieve the same end and sound a lot more natural.

Also: Auto Attack on consoles cannot come fast enough. I fucking hate this button pounding shit.

After reading the GI review, I think some of my hope is restored.... at least for the console version(the same person reviewed both versions and said he was shocked to see how much more he liked it on consoles).

Helped that the review itself was reasonably positive and explanatory without being
2Lht5.gif
in text form.

I've already decided to get other games first though so hopefully I'll have enough cash to try next month.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So... started up DAO again today. I'm at the Battle of Ostigar where you run across the bridge to the tower... only the game didn't spawn me on the bridge. I fell off the bridge and now I'm right next to the battle.

I wish I had a capture card right about now. It's the most intense battle of GIF images I have ever seen.

Patryn said:
Then again, I felt connected to Shepard right away.

I think part of the problem is that it feels so disjointed. It's like "This thing happened, then a lot of time passes, then you play this little scene, then a year passes, etc, etc."
Sheppard's introduction is completely different in Mass Effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_KHazKqlrg

You start off with character creation, you get to pick Sheppard's "origin" and then you get that minute long spiel about saving the galaxy and what not. You already formed in your mind what your character is going to be. But it was also because of the kind of game mass effect was. You kind of knew what your main character was and that was the basis from which you could explore and experience the world.

In Dragon Age 2 you get dropped in the middle of the story, you don't know who Hawke is. Apparnetly there is family involved as well but you don't know who those people are or what your relationship to them really is or how you feel about them. Its overwhelming, you don't have a single reference point from which to view the world.

jackdoe

So, there is no such thing as persuade anymore? Cause 4 hours in, and I have yet to come across any such dialogue option.

Top Bottom