• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Crazypanda_85 said:
Just got home and it was waiting for me at my front door :)

As for the comments about the story in ME2 being crap, please give it a rest. I personally thought it had a great story but at the end of the day, we're only discussing opinions, not facts.

Speaking as someone who only got into the ME series this past month and just completed part 2, I agree that the story in ME2 was definitely not crap, but it also didn't feel very epic. I got a little bit of real plot at the start, then 39 hours of bus driving, and then a little bit more plot. I loved the gameplay, but I really enjoyed the flow of the story in ME1 more. I wish they required more choices through the entire game like they did at the end. I loved pretty much every character on my squad in ME2, though, and I can't say I even like anyone in my squad so far in DA2.

vocab said:
Mass effect has game play problems with some pretty repetitive dungeon crawling (the same aspect they put in DA2). The world, the characters, the lore, progression, the music, and the dialogue is all good.

His point was that ME is a pretty mediocre game, which it is. Sooooooooooooo....

Rahxephon91 said:
DA2 looks like poop compared to DA1? Really? Wow people are just hating on two now.

On PC? fucking yeah it looks worse.

On consoles? Improvement, but looks pretty uggo.

Rahxephon91 said:
What was the point of it then? The terrible combat? The meh characters outside of 1 or 2? Visiting bland planets? Or visiting space malls while the cool looking city is beyond your reach?
World building and character interaction as a show case for their new dialog system

Kinspiracy said:
Speaking as someone who only got into the ME series this past month and just completed part 2, I agree that the story in ME2 was definitely not crap, but it also didn't feel very epic. I got a little bit of real plot at the start, then 39 hours of bus driving, and then a little bit more plot. I loved the gameplay, but I really enjoyed the flow of the story in ME1 more. I wish they required more choices through the entire game like they did at the end. I loved pretty much every character on my squad in ME2, though, and I can't say I even like anyone in my squad so far in DA2.
A sequel in a trilogy should up the ante and actually move the plot forward. Mass Effect 2 does not do that. We basically are at the same place we were at, at the end of 1. The Reapers are still a threat and we basically know the same things about them. We have made no inroads against the main enemy and quite honestly they haven't made any inroads against us. And as far as character development is concerned, Shepard is still the same. A sequel in this type of Trilogy should weaken and punch up the protagonist a bit more. Give us some tension, know that the protagonist is up for a pretty big fight and is not as prepared as he thinks he is regardless of his victory before. ME2 does none of this. It's story is pretty bad.

Now the side stuff, that's much better.

Fimbulvetr said:
On PC? fucking yeah it looks worse.

On consoles? Improvement, but looks pretty uggo.
I can only talk about the console version and that version is a big improvement over 1. It's a decent looking game with solid character models. I wouldn't say it's ugly at all. Amazing? No, but not at all ugly.

ElectricBlue187 said:
World building and character interaction as a show case for their new dialog system
Ok fair enough I guess. I guess it did set the stage for it's plot, regardless of quality. I don't think the character interaction was great and the dialogue mechanics are as black and white as they were in KOTOR.

Leatherface

Holy fucking jaded gamers batman!! What a bunch of complainers in here. Sometimes I wonder if some of you even played the same game I've played. Is there just a bunch of alternate "shitty" versions that I missed out on? Do these games have SHARP KNEES?!! :p

I'd like to stand on my soap box for others that are usually silent by saying that even though each had their faults, ME, ME2 and DA:O were all fantastic games. As a matter of fact, ME/ME2 are two of my favorite Sci-Fi games of all time, and even though DA:O had possibly the most generic rip-off story ever, it was still great fun due to the frantic/epic battles and excellent combat system.

Now I haven't played DA2 yet, and I *almost* didn't because of this thread but since Bioware hasn't done me wrong yet (and GAF has many times over), I'm gonna go ahead and just play the game anyway. Thanks GAF!

Grisby

Fimbulvetr said:
Apparently most, if not all, of the characters are bisexual, so yes.

Interesting. I was just curious because Bioware's always kind of weird with that stuff. Kind of how they dialed it back for ME2 and such.

Salaadin said:
I just realized that I was never prompted to import my save. Is it automatic?

No, at least not on consoles. When you start a new game, it gives you the option to start new, make decisions based on Origins, or import a save. When you choose import, you then get to choose from any of your Origins' saves.

Leatherface said:
Holy fucking jaded gamers batman!! What a bunch of complainers in here. Sometimes I wonder if some of you even played the same game I've played. Is there just a bunch of alternate "shitty" versions that I missed out on? Do these games have SHARP KNEES?!! :p

I'd like to stand on my soap box for others that are usually silent by saying that even though each had their faults, ME, ME2 and DA:O were all fantastic games. As a matter of fact, ME/ME2 are two of my favorite Sci-Fi games of all time, and even though DA:O had possibly the most generic rip-off story ever, it was still great fun due to the frantic/epic battles and excellent combat system.

Now I haven't played DA2 yet, and I *almost* didn't because of this thread but since Bioware hasn't done me wrong yet (and GAF has many times over), I'm gonna go ahead and just play the game anyway. Thanks GAF!
I agree with everything you said but that doesn't mean that the games are completely without fault

Fredescu

Fimbulvetr said:
On PC? fucking yeah it looks worse
It doesn't really. Most of the PC shots in this thread look a lot better than the first. DA:O had it's moments with the camera at max, but anything closer looked pretty bad. The terrain at the start of DA2 looks bad, sure, but the city looked a lot better.

Leatherface said:

Clap clap clap.

TheChaos

According to people on the official forums, the Exiled Prince DLC is already on disc. That explains the 33MB download size. Stay classy, Bioware.

Interesting. I was just curious because Bioware's always kind of weird with that stuff. Kind of how they dialed it back for ME2 and such.

Well, the bisexual romances have the exact same dialog between Male and Female Hawke. They're just making it easier and conserving resources. Apparently Bioware won't ever do an exclusive same-sex romance (the demand for it is not great enough or something)

Leatherface said:

So you played a version of ME1 without clunky controls? Horrible loot management? Garbage menus? Bland exploration? Repetitive sidequests? 2 characters and a bunch of tshi cardboard cutouts with superpowers? Choose blue to win?

Fimbulvetr said:
So you played a version of ME1 without clunky controls? Horrible loot management? Garbage menus? Bland exploration? Repetitive sidequests? 2 characters and a bunch of tshi cardboard cutouts with superpowers? Choose blue to win?

My copy of ME1 had a great story, really fun gameplay, tons of memorable characters, and created an environment that I was sad to see go when the game ended. It had its faults, but I enjoyed the game far too much to define it by some of its problems. Good god, lighten up.

Kinspiracy said:
My copy of ME1 had a great story, really fun gameplay, tons of memorable characters, and and created an environment that I was sad to see go when the game ended. It had its faults, but I enjoyed the game far too much to define it by some of its problems. Good god, lighten up.
Really hate when people throw this out there. You're posting your opinions on a video game discussion forum. You must be angry!

Leatherface

ElectricBlue187 said:
I agree with everything you said but that doesn't mean that the games are completely without fault

It's true (as I pointed out), and I'd venture to say even the best of the best games have plenty of faults if you try hard enough to find them, and we all know how hard GAF tries! :p
Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. It keeps developers on their toes. We are a sharp bunch and word travels fast on the interwebs. :)

Leatherface

Fimbulvetr said:

I played on the PC, so the controls/graphics etc were perfect. Menu's were fine. Loot wasn't great but it really wasn't the focus and didn't break the core game play for me. I enjoyed the exploration quite a bit even though it could have been better. Side quests were both fun and typical RPG fare and I loved all the characters thank you very much. :)

Kinspiracy said:
My copy of ME1 had a great story, really fun gameplay, tons of memorable characters, and created an environment that I was sad to see go when the game ended. It had its faults, but I enjoyed the game far too much to define it by some of its problems. Good god, lighten up.

Exactly. :)

Kinspiracy said:
My copy of ME1 had a great story, really fun gameplay, tons of memorable characters, and created an environment that I was sad to see go when the game ended. It had its faults, but I enjoyed the game far too much to define it by some of its problems.

++++1

My Lord some people here are so finicky to an insane level....Shit if every damn game was held to such an immense, unattainable standard, how many games do you guys really own? o_O

jackdoe

Lostconfused said:
Nope, certainly not most of them. The shots of Kirkwall do look nice, probably as good as Orzammar, maybe better.
The post processing effects are definitely better for DA2 though (on PC obviously cause the console version equivalent of medium looks like ass). However, I'm still waiting for drivers or a patch that would allow me to actually play the game on very high at a reasonable framerate.

shinobi602 said:
++++1

My Lord some people here are so finicky to an insane level....Shit if every damn game was held to such an immense, unattainable standard, how many games do you guys really own? o_O
ME1 had some very fundamental issues that I can see people taking issue with it. I personally liked the game in spite of it, but I don't consider not liking the game because of said issues being nitpicky.

Kinspiracy said:

You're right. Every place should be circle jerks only. I've been so blind, when a game has issues in most aspects of its gameplay you should just ignore them. That way they don't exist and the game has no flaws. :eek:

I'm still reserving judgment on DA2 til' I've actually played it, but ME1? I've played that shit, my god have a played it.

I liked it too. I'm not really sure why, but hell I liked the first KH game too and that was pretty heavily flawed as well.

Rahxephon91 said:
Really hate when people throw this out there. You're posting your opinions on a video game discussion forum. You must be angry!

CAN'T YOU SEE HOW MUCH I'M RAGING RIGHT NOW!

Rahxephon91 said:

I just can't imagine why anyone would continue gaming if games were nothing more than a collection of things that went horribly wrong. Yes, even on a discussion forum. So much negativity. There's far more to love in ME than there is to hate. Ditto Origins, and after four hours with DA2 it's true here too. I definitely see issues with things in DA2, but I'm not letting them define the game. An XP glitch? Avoid it.

Fredescu

Fimbulvetr said:
So you played a version of ME1 without clunky controls? Horrible loot management? Garbage menus? Bland exploration? Repetitive sidequests?
Sounds like the version of The Witcher I played, and it was awesome. I thought ME was fairly mediocre too, but laundry lists of faults are stupid.

Showed up at my local best buy at 9:55, just before opening, to pick up my Signature Edition Preorder. I had been getting a bad feeling after hearing people mention that their own were getting canceled or downgraded. When it came my turn up to the in store pickup I handed them my receipt, letting them know I had a Signature Edition for 360. The guy gave me a strange look and sort of hesitated, glancing over to the counter with copies of the game. He made his way slowly over and picked up the one and only copy of it for 360, remarking that, "It was the only one that they had?" Thank God for that!

Anyways, put in about 5 hours and now it is time for bed (night shift). The game is absolutely amazing. I can see why it got knocked a few points here and there but for the most part the combat is very satisfying (playing on Hard, not *quite* ready for Nightmare yet I think, though I did smash through DA:O on Nightmare). More importantly, the characters are amazing. I didn't expect to like Varric, but he is fast becoming my favorite.

Haters gonna hate, but this game is well worth peoples time.

edit - wrong thread. To make this relevant, my wife is playing this now and it dont look too bad. As much as I loved Mass Effect 2, I still dont think I would like it though. She eats this stuff up.

Spookie

shinobi602 said:
The PC shots in this thread alone look a lot better than DA:O .... >_>

The city looks nice but suffers from what I like to call the Halo effect in which it feels completely lifeless and sterile. But I've not invested enough time to see other areas just yet. It doesn't appear to be as linier as say Mass Effect 2.

Fredescu said:
Sounds like the version of The Witcher I played, and it was awesome. I thought ME was fairly mediocre too, but laundry lists of faults are stupid.

When every other post is "I can't see how you could possibly not like it, it was practically flawless. *le cry*". (and this is about a game I actually like)

Yes, I'm going to post reasons. Yes, i know they are going to be ignored for the sake of strawmen arguments. I don't care, they wondered. They now know.

Kinspiracy said:
I just can't imagine why anyone would continue gaming if games were nothing more than a collection of things that went horribly wrong. Yes, even on a discussion forum. So much negativity. There's far more to love in ME than there is to hate. Ditto Origins, and after four hours with DA2 it's true here too. I definitely see issues with things in DA2, but I'm not letting them define the game. An XP glitch? Avoid it.
Even if I like something, dosen't mean I can't be aware of its flaws. And regardless I come here to share my opinions on these things. I'm pretty calm and trust me when I play these games I'm not sitting here looking for the flaws. But when it comes time to discuss the game, I'll sure tell you what they are.

Regardless I like all the games in this conversation, well except ME1. I do think that is a bad game.

Fimbulvetr said:
You're right. Every place should be circle jerks only. I've been so blind, when a game has issues in most aspects of its gameplay you should just ignore them. That way they don't exist and the game has no flaws. :eek:

That really wasn't the point (and I was pretty obvious about it too).

sdornan

I have the signature edition. How the hell am I supposed to get the Exiled Prince add-on? When I put in the code that came with it, it only downloaded the Black Emporium.

Rahxephon91 said:
Even if I like something, dosen't mean I can't be aware of its flaws. And regardless I come here to share my opinions on these things. I'm pretty calm and trust me when I play these games I'm not sitting here looking for the flaws. But when it comes time to discuss the game, I'll sure tell you what they are.

Regardless I like all the games in this conversation, well except ME1. I do think that is a bad game.

Haha, well you certainly live up to that description of yourself under your nick. Peace.

jackdoe

shinobi602 said:
Just curious, but what part of Halo has that?
Halo 2 and 3 on Earth. Everything looks so barren and lifeless (and rectangular). Halo Reach made strides to fix this though.

And I agree, Kirkwall does kind of feel like that.

Carver annoys me enough that I've decided to start over as a rogue. My group needs less whining, and more boobs. Also I'm not sure what the hell he's doing most of the time, but I like my dog in DA2 far more than in Fable.

Leatherface

It's not hard to make a laundry list of complaints about pretty much every game there is, it doesn't define the overall quality of a game though. If that were the case we'd all have different hobbies. There's nothing wrong with pointing out faults, but HATE? Really? The game is so BAD, you just straight up HATE it?

Edit: Whoops! Sorry Evil!

On Topic!: The hi-res pack for PC is this an official release or a mod?

jackdoe

Oh, and I'll probably have to start over because I assumed stats contributed to the same areas as Dragon Age Origins. But an hour and a half into the game, I learn that cunning contributes to defense (the hell) and wasted points into constitution assuming that it would also add to defense.

gdt

sdornan said:
I have the signature edition. How the hell am I supposed to get the Exiled Prince add-on? When I put in the code that came with it, it only downloaded the Black Emporium.

Read the flyer. It has like 3 or 4 codes on it, all with directions. One specifically for The Prince, I think.

Kinspiracy said:
Haha, well you certainly live up to that description of yourself under your nick. Peace.
I also try to give reasons as to why I like or dislike games others do instead of going lol tag quote, but I guess that's too much for some members.

But yeah let's talk about Dragon Age 2 some more. What a solid game so far.

jackdoe said:
Oh, and I'll probably have to start over because I assumed stats contributed to the same areas as Dragon Age Origins. But an hour and a half into the game, I learn that cunning contributes to defense (the hell) and wasted points into constitution assuming that it would also add to defense.
Consitution just like DA:O effects only health. The change is Dexterity used to effect defense in DA:O and now its Cunning in DA2.

jackdoe said:

Still better to get the health points. Armor will always get you better defense. I haven't died one time in the game, but I am playing on easy. I am having alot of fun playing this game and doing all of the quests.

Mrbob

My biggest disappointment after reading a bunch of reviews deals with how linear Dragon Age 2 seems to be. One major city hub with about 6 different dungeon types which repeat and the paths don't branch.

As for review scores I don't put much faith in any nowadays since it seems like the scale is 7/10 instead of 0/10. For the sake of ease of use discussion, the 84 metacritic average is a good score, but it is the lowest one for a Bioware release:

Bioware Metacritic Scores:
Baldur's Gate: 9.1
Baldur's Gate: II 9.5
Neverwinter Nights: 9.1
SW: KOTOR: 9.4
Jade Empire: 8.9
Mass Effect: 9.1
Dragon Age: 9.1
Mass Effect 2: 9.4
Dragon Age II: 8.4

This is why you see comments about Dragon Age 2 being a disappointment. Dragon Age 2 doesn't seem to be up to the standard of other Bioware games.

Top Bottom