• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

jackdoe

Lostconfused said:
Consitution just like DA:O effects only health. The change is Dexterity used to effect defense in DA:O and now its Cunning in DA2.
Really? Dexterity affected defense in DA:O? No wonder my two handed warrior was built like a tank. Still, I need to start pumping up cunning.

jackdoe said:
Really? Dexterity affected defense in DA:O? No wonder my two handed warrior was built like a tank. Still, I need to start pumping up cunning.
Yup thats why you had to have high dexterity for sword and shield abilities/talents in DA:O. For the 2handed warrior you were only supposed to dump points into strength. Because that was the most usefull stat since it effects characters attack rating and weapon damage.

They didn't even give me the choice. I went to the brothel and paid and all I could choose from is guy elves. Also most of the love choices are only available for guys in the story so far....they've let me flirt with one girl and like 5 guys.

gdt5016 said:
The real question is, can I have a romance with my sister?

Unfortunately she turned into a knight captain or whatever in the Dark Roads Expedition after I chose to take her with me. Maybe she is still alive if you don't take her?

Smokey

Is anybody else starting this on Hard?

From the description the game just sounds boring on normal...and i never start games on hard.

mujun

Kinspiracy said:
My copy of ME1 had a great story, really fun gameplay, tons of memorable characters, and created an environment that I was sad to see go when the game ended. It had its faults, but I enjoyed the game far too much to define it by some of its problems. Good god, lighten up.

Mine, too :)

Synless

Smokey said:

From the description the game just sounds boring on normal...and i never start games on hard.
I started on hard and got my ass kicked in the demo section.

kamspy

Smokey said:

Yup. And I'm not the type to start games on hard. Finding it to be a nice difficulty. I can't walk through battles, but I'm not getting frustrated either.

Synless said:
I started on hard and got my ass kicked in the demo section.
Unless you game the mechanics you don't have an optimal party make up in the beginning. If you picked a mage than you have to get healing no matter what. If you picked warrior than you are pretty much useless the entire fight because you are just taking extra damage from the Ogre. If you picked rogue then you can just go ranged and own everyone, lololololol ballance.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Smokey said:

Started on nightmare. Only thing that has given me trouble was the fight immedietely after beating the ogre from the demo section.

Just for fun

Code:
User Name 	Posts

Kinspiracy 	101
kai3345 	96
Lostconfused 	83
Thnikkaman 	64
jackdoe 	60
shinobi602 	58
Fimbulvetr 	58
WanderingWind 	54
Gvaz 	        50
water_wendi 	50

Kinspiracy, clearly the most ardent defender.

Also, holy crap I have way way too many posts in this thread. God what a boring week it has been.

Smokey

Lostconfused said:
Unless you game the mechanics you don't have an optimal party make up in the beginning. If you picked a mage than you have to get healing no matter what. If you picked warrior than you are pretty much useless the entire fight because you are just taking extra damage from the Ogre. If you picked rogue then you can just go ranged and own everyone, lololololol ballance.

i'm a mage...my entire party died during the ogre battle. i also ran out of potions. so i just ran around in circles attacking the ogre...waiting for fire spell to come back up...then i'd call the dog...rinse repeat

lolz

Smokey said:
i'm a mage...my entire party died during the ogre battle. i also ran out of potions. so i just ran around in circles attacking the ogre...waiting for fire spell to come back up...then i'd call the dog...rinse repeat

lolz
Well sure abusing stupid game mechanics is always an option. I was just talking about doing that fight without resorting to something so absurd.

Hawk269

For PC Users....

Is the game running better than the demo in DX11 mode? I have a GTX580 and in DX11 mode it was horrid low FPS.

Also, is there a controller option for the PC version? Perfer to play with my 360 pad if I could.

Thanks!

jackdoe

Smokey said:

lolz
Yep. Did the exact same thing. The Ogre also took out enemies through friendly fire.

Hawk269 said:
For PC Users....

Is the game running better than the demo in DX11 mode? I have a GTX580 and in DX11 mode it was horrid low FPS.
DX11 is more stable but your frame rate will still get murdered on very high settings with an Nvidia card. Pretty sure you can't use a gamepad on the PC version either.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lostconfused said:
Just for fun

Code:
User Name 	Posts

Kinspiracy 	101
kai3345 	96
Lostconfused 	83
Thnikkaman 	64
jackdoe 	60
shinobi602 	58
Fimbulvetr 	58
WanderingWind 	54
Gvaz 	        50
water_wendi 	50

Kinspiracy, clearly the most ardent defender.

Also, holy crap I have way way too many posts in this thread. God what a boring week it has been.

Whoa.

Hawk269

Lostconfused said:
DX11 is more stable but your frame rate will still get murdered on very high settings with an Nvidia card. Pretty sure you can't use a gamepad on the PC version either.

Really? So the game does not like Nvidia? That kind of sucks. The reason I built my rig was to play games at max settings and 60fps...so it sucks that the devs cant make the game where it works nice with both brands of cards.

Mr Jared

Just spent the past hour starring a pictures of Karen Gillan while customizing my FemHawke.

I should probably just play the game at this point :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Basileus777 said:
10 hours into the game, and having played DAO on Sunday, people saying that the first game looked better on the PC are crazy.

Technically no. DA2 has more dynamic lighting, better textures, tesselation...but still, DA1 just looked better to me from an art perspective. Everything came together so nicely in DA1. In DA2...it feels all very thrown together.

library.jpg

Basileus777 said:
10 hours into the game, and having played DAO on Sunday, people saying that the first game looked better on the PC are crazy.
The demo looked asstacular. The game just came out today so not everyone had the chance to see the best sights DA2 could offer but everyone could see some awful shit thats in the demo. Not to mention that not everyone can actually play at high settings since the game doesn't like Nvidia cards.
TheExodu5 said:
Technically no. DA2 has more dynamic lighting, better textures, tesselation...but still, DA1 just looked better to me from an art perspective. Everything came together so nicely in DA1. In DA2...it feels all very thrown together.
Orzammar is the best looking area in DA:O in my opinion. I would say Kirkwall might be better looking, but I haven't played enough of the game to see for my self yet.

orzammar3d948.jpg

orzammar2a91x.jpg

Edit: Oh right the new UI is a pile of ass as well, so thats one thing that will probably always suck in DA2.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Screenshots really can't show off an improvement in lighting. This next jump in lighting effects with DX11 games is so powerful yet extremely subtle in stills. You just don't get it until you see it moving.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Edit: Oh right the new UI is a pile of ass as well, so thats one thing that will probably always suck in DA2.

While I don't like the look of them, I prefer the new health bars. The reason being that I'm a little colorblind, and the red in the top left most portrait isn't super obvious, which made it sometimes difficult to tell that I was dying.

Dice said:
Screenshots really can't show off an improvement in lighting. This next jump in lighting effects with DX11 games is so powerful yet extremely subtle in stills. You just don't get it until you see it moving.

DA1 had baked god rays, but they looked really damned beautiful, as posted in my shot above. Like I said, DA2 is technically superior. But something is off about it. It lacks polish, and there are many glaring flaws in places (judging by shots here and the demo). The hilltop at the start of the demo, for example, felt extremely claustrophobic, despite having a large scenery. It just looked very, very fake, and it was obvious that only a very tiny portion of the scene was a rendered environment.

Zeal

Banned
RDreamer said:
Is anyone else getting freezing during conversations on the PS3 version? The game seems near unplayable. I'm only a short way in and I've had it freeze three freaking times so far.
all in all, my game froze completely about 10 times, and i had to restart. thank god for autosave.

buggy as hell. it's like it wasn't even tested in-house.

Beowulf28

After a few hours playing this game (PC) I'm starting to warm up to it. The combat on hard mode is much more satisfying then what I played in the demo, and with the high res texture pack the game doesn't look as shitty as I was expecting.

Loving it so far on PC.

Is anyone else getting low volume in cutscenes? It wasn't a problem at all in the demo for me, but I'm having to turn up my speakers every time.

Dice said:
The lighting in Crysis 2 is better than anything in DA2 and it runs in a DX9 renderer.
Because they didn't start working on DX11 one yet! Heyoooooo!

Edit: Not to mention that some of the best lighting in any video game ever made is in Mirror's Edge and that's entirely pre baked.

TheExodu5 said:
While I don't like the look of them, I prefer the new health bars. The reason being that I'm a little colorblind, and the red in the top left most portrait isn't super obvious, which made it sometimes difficult to tell that I was dying.
Guess there is some positive in all of that then, sorry that it gave you trouble.

GeoramA

Zeal said:
all in all, my game froze completely about 10 times, and i had to restart. thank god for autosave.

buggy as hell. it's like it wasn't even tested in-house.
Guess I won't be buying this anytime soon. After enduring New Vegas PS3, there's no fucking way I'm buying a game that has freezing issues.

Lostconfused said:

Those who hated the PC UI in the demo should be happy to know that that was NOT the final UI BTW. The newer one, while not amazing, is considerably better, and it also plays much better than the DA:O UI on a HTPC. I can easily read codex entries now without straining my eyes, amen hallelujah. Also thank god that hard to read font is gone too. still it is a little plain.

Got a few hours in on the game before my roomate took over the TV and I am quite enjoying it so far. The bonus items are REALLY powerful for early on, so hard is a bit of a cakewalk so far, my Primal mage just splats everything with his Staff of Parlathan. We'll see if this evens out over time. The characters seem cool, the conversations are much better than they were in the demo, and I like the way that even early choices have affected the game so far.
You get different clothes and side quest availability depending on who you join to get in the city during the prologue for example.

It's also nice to see that Dog has dialogue stuff in the game, I figured he'd just be a cosmetic summon. I also like how Hawke tends to reflect the choices I have made even outside of the dialogue wheel. I am a hard-ass most times, and he tends to be so when greeting NPCs. Very cool.

Combat on hard seems pretty easy thus far, might have to kick it up to nightmare if this continues. Still, early DA was pretty easy too, so we shall see.

TheExodu5

Banned
bishopcruz said:
Those who hated the PC UI in the demo should be happy to know that that was NOT the final UI BTW. The newer one, while not amazing, is considerably better, and it also plays much better than the DA:O UI on a HTPC. I can easily read codex entries now without straining my eyes, amen hallelujah. Also thank god that hard to read font is gone too. still it is a little plain.

I had issues with that in the original as well. FYI, there's a UI mod on the Bioware website that addresses this and makes everything nice and big.

TheExodu5 said:
I had issues with that in the original as well. FYI, there's a UI mod on the Bioware website that addresses this and makes everything nice and big.

I got it for my second playthrough, it is a lot better, though it still has that horrible, horrible font IIRC, that mod wasn't done the first time I played through DA:O.

What I will give the DA2 UI is what it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in usability. It is much easier on the eyes and information is much more readily available.

I kind of asked this a few pages back, but I'm still confused. I'm going to import my save data from DA:O, but this thread reminded me about The Witch Hunt continuity bug and save game glitch in DAO.. Essentially, I'm OCD and want to have my perfect import save for DA2 even if it means little. I'm considering doing another quick run through of The Witch hunt if it, specifically for consoles, has been patched. I don't want to waste two hours for nothing. I guess I could find out from the Bioware social site, but I thought someone here might have a quick answer. Thanks in advance.

Smokey

Lostconfused said:
Well sure abusing stupid game mechanics is always an option. I was just talking about doing that fight without resorting to something so absurd.

in that particular fight (on hard at least) i had to resort to such tactics because doing it the non-absurd way caused my entire team to get wiped out :p

Smokey said:
in that particular fight (on hard at least) i had to resort to such tactics because doing it the non-absurd way caused my entire team to get wiped out :p
Perfectly reasonable but at that point in time, unless you are going for the achievement, you might as well turn the difficulty down to normal to get through it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
wait...mage armor has willpower requirements? How is willpower useful for a blood mage? arrgh

For getting armor, duh!

Glad to see Bioware is still sticking with the Diablo 2 stat distribution system: pump enough of a stat to be able to equip gear, max best stat after that.

Stat distribution should just disappear entirely. It brings nothing to the games whatsoever.

Ceebs

I decided against my better judgement and to just buy the game using my stockpile of GG blue coins so I only paid about 25 for it. I am not proud of myself, but I was honestly kinda bored.

Of all the various offenses the game has committed the absolutely terrible skill tree UI takes the cake. Having to click and sit through a zoom animation just to be able to see the tooltips so you know what does what is nothing but extremely annoying.

rSpooky

It sucks it doesnt let you copy the gamesaves of DA:O /Awakening. Now I had to switch ps3's do my wife could continue her story.
what is it with these games that do not let you copy game saves? pretty fucked up if you ended to turn it in for replacement or something.
Also the forced social@bioware .com shit My wife wanted to bonus that came with the GS preorder, and they only way to get it is to sign up /login with social.bioware.
so why the fuck would you preorder?? Is it based on the UPC? I think not cause it unlocked for the ps3, 360 and pc.
She is playing it now, looks pretty good. Good voice work and music too.
But I would be happier if I can put my ps3 back in its spot and give her, the other one back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You keep posting that tower shot, but really, that doesn't accurately represent the visuals throughout. The game looks pretty uneven and plain most of the time.

Stylistically, DA:O seems very generic. DA2 isn't amazing, but I think it looks quite a bit more stylized and unique.

Top Bottom