• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

BY2K

Membero Americo
syllogism said:
pvnfl.png

Bioware be trolling, now?

REV 09

X-Frame said:
So I think I know what ques unlocks all companions except Merill right now - which one to get her? The Flemeth one?
Yes. Which one unlocks Isabella and Fenris? Just the title please. I would like to round out my party before progressing further.

Axiom

REV 09 said:
Yes. Which one unlocks Isabella and Fenris? Just the title please. I would like to round out my party before progressing further.
You mean gather your party before venturing forth?

Hobs

Neo Member
You can get Isabella after completing the quest to get Anders which is a quest called "Tranquility", just go to the Hanged Man after that quest and you'll see her. For Fenris, I believe the quest is called, "Bait and Switch".

gdt

Hobs said:
You can get Isabella after completing the quest to get Anders which is a quest called "Tranquility", just go to the Hanged Man after that quest and you'll see her. For Fenris, I believe the quest is called, "Bait and Switch"

Ahhh. Okay.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
REV 09 said:
Fenris - Bait and Switch
Isabella - Fools Rush In

Not sure what the exact trigger is for each of these, but just keep checking your mail and visiting the Hanged Man between quests.

OK I am playing on xbox 360 and I find it very fiddly to get the talents to light up and be usable. Eg the Warrior ability that rushes to the enemy doesnt light up unless I am right next to an enemy. Am I missing some kind of auto lock on feature or something?

X-Frame

cleveridea said:
OK I am playing on xbox 360 and I find it very fiddly to get the talents to light up and be usable. Eg the Warrior ability that rushes to the enemy doesnt light up unless I am right next to an enemy. Am I missing some kind of auto lock on feature or something?
Noticed this too last night. I think you're unable to use talents like that unless you've targeted an enemy. It won't let you just do them randomly. I could be wrong though, but that's what it looks like.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr Jared said:
Needs moar Hawke customization sharing. Here's a shot of my FemHawke-

http://i55.tinypic.com/eguyb9.jpg (Edit: Big pic)

Also, I'm about 13 hours in and I've yet to
go on the expedition
. I'm going side-quest BANANAS. I've also really come to grips with the new battle system. My only real complaint is one that a lot people are making.. the mid-fight enemy spawns really makes positioning pointless. I've adjusted the way I play but it IS pretty annoying to have to micromanage your tank. That said, I'm actually excited about the idea of playing as a tank myself in my second play through, which is something I never liked doing in Origins.

Man, this dialogue wheel thing is stupid. They completely missed how ME2 does it, even though they're ripping it off so blatantly.

Also, I've been playing on hard. My console friend recently got a PC and I told him to get it for his new pc, and he's complaining about the difficulty on hard. Does the game get harder in act 2? Right now it's mildly challenging.

X-Frame said:
Noticed this too last night. I think you're unable to use talents like that unless you've targeted an enemy. It won't let you just do them randomly. I could be wrong though, but that's what it looks like.

But is there an easy way to target an enemy? Like some games use Left Trigger to target closest enemy...

cleveridea said:
But is there an easy way to target an enemy? Like some games use Left Trigger to target closest enemy...
You just push the thumbstick in the direction of the enemy and mash on the face buttons of the controller, Awesome shit happens.

Have to say I am enjoying the game a lot more having restarted as a Warrior and having made the mental switch to "this is an action game not an RPG" (like Fable 3).

I think this game should NOT have been called a sequel, they should have used a subtitle to denote that its a change in direction. They probably wanted to use the sequel name to ensure highest sales (eg gamers asking "is this an expansion or a true sequel") but I think its just lead to a lot of angry people expecting a similar in depth RPG (eg highly detailed towns full of people to interact with, slow tactical "makes you think" combat).

Lostconfused said:
You just push the thumbstick in the direction of the enemy and mash on the face buttons of the controller, Awesome shit happens.

but for some reason for me it often works with regular attack "A" but not with the activate-able skills.

X-Frame said:

Some talents require a target to be selected and also wont light up until that target is in range of the attack. Backstab is another that works similarly.

The game is rife with issues, but damn is it fun as hell.

Lostconfused said:
Maybe the range on the skill is very limited until you upgrade it.

thing is though it DOES work if I pause, target enemy with crosshair in pause mode and trigger the ability from the pause menu

I've noticed the framerate in (dx 11 mode) taks a huge hit when changing graphics from 'high' to 'very high'. My system goes from a full 60 fps to about 15-20 fps. In high I've also turned on af and aa at 4x which i turn off in very high

I've got a gtx 460 with the latest beta drivers and an i5 2.93 ghz and 6th ram.

Is anyone else seeing the same issue?

boundedseven said:
I've noticed the framerate in (dx 11 mode) taks a huge hit when changing graphics from 'high' to 'very high'. My system goes from a full 60 fps to about 15-20 fps. In high I've also turned on af and aa at 4x which i turn off in very high

I've got a gtx 460 with the latest beta drivers and an i5 2.93 ghz and 6th ram.

Is anyone else seeing the same issue?

I have a gtx 460 with a Sandy Bridge 2500k and I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Huge framerate drop from High to Very High. I'm runnin at 1080p on my 47" LCD and the drivers I'm using are from mid January. Which may be the latest, non-beta, drivers as far as I know.

DX11 as well.

Darkkn

Intro done, some impressions: Runs like crap on my ati 5770 everything maxed, graphics definitely don't warrant this low of an fps(looks kinda crap, just played Awakenings and it looked better imo).
Combat is better than in previous game, playing on hard, it really is quite fun and challenging. Quicker pace makes it easier to dodge attacks by moving characters around and snappy pace makes waves of combat more tolerable. Abilities seem also more fun and active and less just debuffs/buffs.
Female voice actress is not very good, should have been Jennifer Hale :/

Disappointed by the fact that alot of the adventure is told in a lame slideshows. I want to actually experience that stuff! I will be disappointed if this instanced city is the whole game. Get some easter-Europeans to make city feel truly alive.

tl;dr: Fun b-grade fantasy romp.

Patryn

cleveridea said:
Have to say I am enjoying the game a lot more having restarted as a Warrior and having made the mental switch to "this is an action game not an RPG" (like Fable 3).

I think this game should NOT have been called a sequel, they should have used a subtitle to denote that its a change in direction. They probably wanted to use the sequel name to ensure highest sales (eg gamers asking "is this an expansion or a true sequel") but I think its just lead to a lot of angry people expecting a similar in depth RPG (eg highly detailed towns full of people to interact with, slow tactical "makes you think" combat).

Oh, I definitely agree. Simply changing the name of the game to Dragon Age: Kirkwall or Dragon Age: Champion would have totally tempered a LOT of the criticism, if you ask me.

I will say that MaleHawke's voice is really growing on me. Is it possible that I'm finally starting to feel some tinge of connection to the character? If so, it only took like 4 hours.

xBigDanx

I'm guessing this has been answered but I'll ask again since this thread has grown quite large...

Is this a different story in the DA universe? Or is it a continuation of the story in DA 1?

Can I jump right into this one or should i play 1 first?

I loved Dragon Age for the narrative, cool locales and great combat (PC). To those with the game (PC): is it worth a buy? Or should I wait for a steam sale-or...?

I have read mixed reviews and decided to go to the GAF to base my decision.

xBigDanx said:
I'm guessing this has been answered but I'll ask again since this thread has grown quite large...

Is this a different story in the DA universe? Or is it a continuation of the story in DA 1?

It starts during the events of Dragon Age 1, and continues on afterwards. The setting is completely different, though if you import a Dragon Age 1 save you'll often hear remarks on the choices you made during that game.

Salaadin

Alcoholikaust said:
I loved Dragon Age for the narrative, cool locales and great combat (PC). To those with the game (PC): is it worth a buy? Or should I wait for a steam sale-or...?

I have read mixed reviews and decided to go to the GAF to base my decision.

Right now, Im kinda regretting spending 60 bucks on it. Im 9 hours into a 40 hour game and I feel like Ive done nothing. Im finally where I need to be though and Im hoping my opinion changes tonight.

Maybe someone further in can help you better but right now, Id say wait for a price drop.

EmCeeGramr said:
gigglesquee

WTF!

Merril kinda reminds me of Tali from ME with how nervous she gets and how she starts rambling.

Patryn

xBigDanx said:

It takes one small event from the first game and expands on that.

In terms of connection to the first game, it takes place during and after that game, in a different area of the world for 99.99 percent of the game (I think).

If you miss the first game, a couple sidequests will be different, and you'll miss some references, but that's it.

It's really almost been designed for people who haven't played or completed DA:O, so you'll be fine.

JoeBoy101

Doubt anyone would care, but wanted to update some observations on the game having played about 15 or so hours through (just got out of the Deep Roads):

- Kirkwall: I hate the look and feel for the city, but I'll be honest. The whole quest structure and Kirkwall as home narrative theme is growing on me. I think the game would have been massively improved with more areas outside the city and inside as well, but I think using it as a central location and integrating all of your party members into the city is a sound and refreshing idea. For example, Aveline
becoming Captain of the Guard
or Varric
growing his influence around the Hanged Man
. Even with Hawke as well
as you move up in station and wealth and get your estate back
. Its refreshing to see this, and makes the city feel more inhabited.

- Quest Structure: I love this structure of Main Plot questline and then a multitude of sidequests. Let's me focus on what I want to do before I advance the game.

- Deep Roads: Should have been longer (i.e., map and locations should have been involved), but I loved everything else about it.

- Significant Side Quests: It was surprising to see some side quests, especially Night Terrors, have such an impact on the party outside of a main or companion quest line. Liked seeing that.

- Sandal:
Yes, we get it. He's a killing machine. No need to drill that for all its worth.

- Rushed: The signs of this game being rushed are clearly evident, but having put some time into it, I'm even more disappointed about that. The game really shows some different things Bioware was trying to do, completely aside from combat, with the quest structure, location focus, timeline, and so forth. Really would have like to have seen what this game would have looked like all fleshed out and completed more in a manner of how it should have been.

gdt

I think the Isabella quest "Fools Rush In" might be bugged for me dammit.

I beat up those people in Hightown at night, now we have to go to the Chantry at night to find Hader. But I can't get it. I stand outstide the Chantry door at night (with the plot arrow right over) and the door won't open.

JoeBoy101

gdt5016 said:
I think the Isabella quest "Fools Rush In" might be bugged for me dammit.

I beat up those people in Hightown at night, now we have to go to the Chantry at night to find Hader. But I can't get it. I stand outstide the Chantry door at night (with the plot arrow right over) and the door won't open.

Is Isabela with you at the door? If she is, then yeah, might want to reload.

DoctorWho said:
I have a gtx 460 with a Sandy Bridge 2500k and I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Huge framerate drop from High to Very High. I'm runnin at 1080p on my 47" LCD and the drivers I'm using are from mid January. Which may be the latest, non-beta, drivers as far as I know.

DX11 as well.

Bioware forums admin says use the latest beta from nvidia for best dx11 performance

gdt

JoeBoy101 said:
Is Isabela with you at the door? If she is, then yeah, might want to reload.

She's just standing under an archway a bit aways from the door. Ugh, I did a quest or two after it bugged out, that I might've just had to wait for a trigger or something. I'll lose probably around an hour.

JoeBoy101

gdt5016 said:
She's just standing under an archway a bit aways from the door. Ugh, I did a quest or two after it bugged out, that I might've just had to wait for a trigger or something. I'll lose probably around an hour.

Doh. Sounds like she's in the right place. Not sure why the door won't open. You DID go to the Hightown and then the Chantry at night, right?

Not surprised its bugged. I've been getting a lockup in the game once every two hours or so.

gdt

gdt5016 said:

Fuuuuuuuuck me.

Don't have a save anywhere near that. The closest one is like from the beginning of the game. Fuck!

gdt

JoeBoy101 said:
Doh. Sounds like she's in the right place. Not sure why the door won't open. You DID go to the Hightown and then the Chantry at night, right?

Not surprised its bugged. I've been getting a lockup in the game once every two hours or so.

I wasn't too careful with my save, the game has been rock solid till here.

It's definitely bugged, she's still covered in blood from that fight earlier. She's just standing there, can't even talk to her.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Is the party banter as hard to get as it was in DAO? Like, DAO had literally hours of great party banter but you'd only hear minutes of it because it was so rarely triggered. Does DA2 have that same problem?

gdt

Chairman Yang said:
Is the party banter as hard to get as it was in DAO? Like, DAO had literally hours of great party banter but you'd only hear minutes of it because it was so rarely triggered. Does DA2 have that same problem?

There are triggers all over the place now. Just walk over a certain spot (you'll know them soon enough) to hear it.

boundedseven said:
Bioware forums admin says use the latest beta from nvidia for best dx11 performance

It doesn't help at all. Or at least if it does, then that means without the drivers the game must run at 5 fps because it runs like 15-20 with the beta drivers.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
gdt5016 said:
There are triggers all over the place now. Just walk over a certain spot (you'll know them soon enough) to hear it.
That's great news. I'm much more interested in the game now.

All the dungeons so far (20 hours in) feel like something a child could prepare in 4 minutes on an etch-a-sketch.

Still, enjoying it. And still recognizing all the flaws.

Rubezh

I just finished the game. It took me 18 hours on the default difficulty setting with all side quests completed. The ending is rather abrupt and there's no epilogue like the one from Origins or Awakening. It was...satisfactory, I guess. I'll almost certainly go for a second playthrough on hard.

Who was that at the end? Leliana? So much for my save import.

Top Bottom