• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Bought the 360 version last night and played for a couple of hours.

I like it so far. Played the first one on PC, but I really felt like trying this out on console mostly due to how awkard my PC setup is (comfort wise) at the moment.

Combat wise, I waaay prefer the combat on part 2 compared to part 1, at least on the consoles. Playing as a mage seems pretty fun so far.

And so far I really don't mind that they've stripped out some of the complexity. For the mood I'm in at the moment, it works for me.

Haven't really latched on to any of the characters yet, but it's still early so we'll see.

If I love the game, I may double dip on the PC version later.

Patryn

Chairman Yang said:
That's great news. I'm much more interested in the game now.

Yeah, that's one thing that I've noticed. In fact, there's almost so much that it's almost (but not quite) annoying for someone like me who has to stop and listen to it, because it's like walk two feet and stop for banter, walk two feet and stop for banter, rinse and repeat.

JoeBoy101

totoro'd said:
All these people saying they beat the game in under 20 hours is starting to worry me, I spent 85+ hours playing DA1

If you ignore the side quests, I can easily see beating the game in like 15-20 hours. But in this game, there are a LOT of side quests.

EDIT: Just saw he said it included all side quests, but still, that sounds pretty damn fast. I've heard average times of more around 25 hours.

Kyoufu

JoeBoy101 said:
If you ignore the side quests, I can easily see beating the game in like 15-20 hours. But in this game, there are a LOT of side quests.

They also said they did all the side-quests :|

edit: even 25 hours is shitty. The first one lasted me well over 70 hours.

masterkajo

Kyoufu said:
They also said they did all the side-quests :|
That can't be right. I have played about 10 hours so far and am still short after year ONE (before expedition). There are so many sidequest that upon completion of one you get 3 new ones. Have only done one or two main quests so far.

totoro'd said:
All these people saying they beat the game in under 20 hours is starting to worry me, I spent 85+ hours playing DA1

There are a bunch of people who've claimed to have beaten Origins in less that 20 hours as well, so that doesn't surprise me. Then again Bioware has said it's definitely shorter than DA:O, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would assume playing on hard or nightmare and doing the majority of the side quests you're average play through will be 25 hrs plus.

For example according to STEAM I'm at 10 hour mark, I'm still in chapter one and I've yet to recruit every character and have a bunch of sidequests left.

Chocoboko

Ya...I am going to be pretty upset if I can beat DA2 in 20hours. The first one took me over 3 times that. What is the deal Bioware? :(

Rubezh

JoeBoy101 said:

EDIT: Just saw he said it included all side quests, but still, that sounds pretty damn fast. I've heard average times of more around 25 hours.

I could certainly see players finishing in the 25 hour range. I did skip some segments of the dialog which may have added some extra time. Also, originally as an Origins player, perhaps I should have started it on a harder difficulty. I found that a lot of the side quests were quick and easy to finish with the markers on the map and the copy and pasted areas.

X-Frame

I have OCD when it comes to this where there's so many side quests to do and they're all in the same place and very accessible.

I most likely won't touch the main plot points until I finish them all!

koji

Where's that dude who did DA:O in 8 hours?

X-Frame said:
I have OCD when it comes to this where there's so many side quests to do and they're all in the same place and very accessible.

Same here, questlog has to be all NICE UND TIDY before continuing the mainquestline.

masterkajo said:
That can't be right. I have played about 10 hours so far and am still short after year ONE (before expedition). There are so many sidequest that upon completion of one you get 3 new ones. Have only done one or two main quests so far.

I'm guessing some of these people missed a bunch of quests somewhere, maybe the chantry board or the mage's group, or even Hawke's letters at home. There's also a bunch of quests that only trigger if you roam around and explore.

If you are just following Hawke's quest markers from place to place, and not stopping until you finish all of those, i don't think you are getting all the quests.

Do you need to find specialization in this game or can you just pick any of the (3?) as soon as you reach level 7? In DAO u needed to convince someone or buy a manual or something...

I'm just under 17 hours and I've only done a couple small things after exiting
the deep roads
and I have quite a few new things to do in this part. Unless this game just abruptly ends then I'm easily going to cross the 20 hour mark.

Dunno how people claim to do everything and beat it in less than that.

JambiBum

So are the cross class combos things like where you make an enemy brittle with your mage and then you use your warrior to destroy them? I completely forgot about them until I saw it mentioned.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Ickman3400 said:
I'm just under 17 hours and I've only done a couple small things after exiting
the deep roads
and I have quite a few new things to do in this part. Unless this game just abruptly ends then I'm easily going to cross the 20 hour mark.

Dunno how people claim to do everything and beat it in less than that.
That should be the end of act 1 out of 3 acts. 2nd act is probably the longest imo

hermit7

I am about 6 hours in, not yet passing the 1st year. Overall I am enjoying it, the combat is not bad and being a Rogue Archer.

Right now I am rolling with Bethany, Aveline, and Varric. Varric is awesome and the voice actor is pretty good. I really like some instances where I get into a conversation, and I defer to him.

Einbroch

Banned
How?

I'm at 19 hours and I just started the second act. With the number of quest markers on my screen + all the quests to find while roaming around, I don't see how you can beat it that quickly. Not calling you a liar, but maybe you didn't complete all the quests. For example, there is a quest in act one that you must complete in order to have access to it in act two. Skip a quest in act one and you're missing out on potentially two later quests. Compound this effect and you could be missing around 50% of the sidequests.

There are SO many side quests you get while wandering around. From exclamation point quests that aren't on your map to quests involving returning items found in chests from quests that don't start unless you listen in game and follow someone around...there are a ton of "hidden" quests.

Unless the game just stops I don't see me finishing in under 35 hours. I'm already at 19 hours and just now getting into act two, with literally 10+ quest markers on my map already.

X-Frame

koji said:
Same here, questlog has to be all NICE UND TIDY before continuing the mainquestline.
Lmao! Yup!

I hate when I can't focus on things. I gain 2 side-quests for every 1 side-quest I go on!

X-Frame said:
Lmao! Yup!

I hate when I can't focus on things. I gain 2 side-quests for every 1 side-quest I go on!

Same with me. No way I'm venturing into the
Deep Roads
until there are exactly 0 quest markers on my map.

I've got so many side-quests going on right now, I usually just run straight for any quest markers that appear on my map. I only find out what they're about after I initiate the dialog. :lol

JoeBoy101

Einbroch said:
How?

I'm at 19 hours and I just started the second act. With the number of quest markers on my screen + all the quests to find while roaming around, I don't see how you can beat it that quickly. Not calling you a liar, but maybe you didn't complete all the quests. For example, there is a quest in act one that you must complete in order to have access to it in act two. Skip a quest in act one and you're missing out on potentially two later quests. Compound this effect and you could be missing around 50% of the sidequests.

There are SO many side quests you get while wandering around. From exclamation point quests that aren't on your map to quests involving returning items found in chests from quests that don't start unless you listen in game and follow someone around...there are a ton of "hidden" quests.

Unless the game just stops I don't see me finishing in under 35 hours. I'm already at 19 hours and just now getting into act two, with literally 10+ quest markers on my map already.

This. It is much easier to, well, miss content if you don't get everything done (as weird as that sounds). You can miss party members, quest chains, pick-up quests, etc. I was going to turn down a quest (didn't want to do it for character reasons) but then found out it was how you got Fenris.

JambiBum said:
So are the cross class combos things like where you make an enemy brittle with your mage and then you use your warrior to destroy them? I completely forgot about them until I saw it mentioned.

There is an achievement for doing your first. :)

In fact, cross class combos are more embraced in this one than in DA:O. Many skill upgrades are directed solely to improving them for a cross class combo.

REV 09

i'm starting to actually focus on completing current quests instead of running to the nearest marker. That way i still know what is going on during the actual quest..lol. i'm already 9 hours in and have barely scratched the surface. i don't see how i could possible be half way finished. I'm expecting 30-40 hours. ME2 took me 35 on my first playthrough.

JoeBoy101

REV 09 said:
i'm starting to actually focus on completing current quests instead of running to the nearest marker. That way i still know what is going on during the actual quest..lol. i'm already 9 hours in and have barely scratched the surface. i don't see how i could possible be half way finished. I'm expecting 30-40 hours. ME2 took me 35 on my first playthrough.

I'm expecting about the same myself. Don't see it finishing under 30 hours.

Grisby

Bioware: Hey, you like side quests?
Me: Yeah, I like some side quests.
Bioware: We're gonna give you a shit ton of side quests.
Me: Too...many...side quests...

X-Frame said:

Me too! I need to do ALL the side quests before even touching the main plot.

Einbroch

Banned
Rogue + elemental weapon aura + deathroot poison + 100% crit + 140% crit damage = lol

So broken. Things go down in like 3 seconds.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Liking the game so far, doesn't look bad at all or run bad at all on my PC - but my standards aren't so high, I mostly console game.

Anyhoo, I'm a good chunk of the way through (I think) and I wondered if anyone can tell me where I can do Rune Crafting? I think I know where every other crafter in town is :(...

Wow... so... Act 2 spoilers

Worst death ever. Leandra's death was cringe worthy. So random despite the connection to the previous quest.

There's also a decent number of side quests that can't be seen on the map, so don't use the map as gospel. Good rule of thumb is just click on anyone you can talk to (which usually is not a ton of people in each area), most of the time you'll just get text above their heads but every now and then you may get a small side quest.

I also just got a ton of side quests looking at my mail at the start of Act 2, which also wasn't on the map or location screen.

JoeBoy101

Got a question on the Night Terrors side quest in Act 2 (I think it is):

I'm trying to romance Merrill and taking her into the Fade will cause some LARGE hits to her friendship, but will ultimately reveal interesting things about her background. Is it necessary to do so you get on her loving side, or is it just some background info?

Einbroch

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Got a question on the Night Terrors side quest in Act 2 (I think it is):

I'm trying to romance Merrill and taking her into the Fade will cause some LARGE hits to her friendship, but will ultimately reveal interesting things about her background. Is it necessary to do so you get on her loving side, or is it just some background info?
You can reduce one of those hits to zero is you choose the sly option.

RS4-

masterkajo said:

Year 1 is the longest. The game averages around 25-30 hours.

edit - I'm sure people could bring that down to sub-10 by hitting level 50 asap with the exploit lol.

Zeliard

I've found by far the most effective thing to do in combat so far is hit ctrl-A and just have every party member attack one enemy at a time, starting off with lower health mobs and archers. Attempting true strategic and tactical play actually seems less efficient. :p

tw1164

I'm playing the game on the 360. When I choose the DA1 save file to import it lists all the major choices including the ending, dlc, and my awaking choices. The game tells me I didn't finish DA1 and it will fill in the blanks. I don't remember being able to save the game after the epilog.

Are you able to return to shit mountain? I'm playing as a mage so I can't open the locked chest there until I recruit a rouge. I'm able to set people on fire, but am stumped by a wooden chest. I'm sure the chest hold unless shit, but it still drives me crazy.

I never trust average completion times from reviewers (or developers really). Especially if the game has a lot of exploration or side quests. I remember the average time for DAO bantered around was about 40 hours but I spent over 80. I always end up spending way more time in a game over the generally accepted completion time.

JoeBoy101

Dead said:
Anyone else feel that they totally overdid the Savant in this game?

Sounds way too self-aware

Savant or Sandal? If the second, then yes. His voice is not nearly as well done as the first one.

Zeilard said:
hen someone tells me a certain RPG took them 20 or 40 or 60 or 80 hours, I just hear "dfoigndfoigdfsjnsjflndsafdsnfs." It's totally meaningless.

I'd love to hear and audio sample of that. Or is it like Death Metal (aka Cookie Monster Rock)?

Zeliard

GuitarAtomik said:
I never trust average completion times from reviewers (or developers really). Especially if the game has a lot of exploration or side quests. I remember the average time for DAO bantered around was about 40 hours but I spent over 80. I always end up spending way more time in a game over the generally accepted completion time.

One of the dumbest things in all of gaming is this terribly misguided attempt to quantify playing time in genres like RPGs. Doing so for some basic corridor shooter or whatever is one thing, since most people will be going at a relatively similar pace, but an RPG? No. People will spend wildly different times talking to people, walking around, in combat, doing side quests, doing side activities, and god knows what else.

When someone tells me a certain RPG took them 20 or 40 or 60 or 80 hours, I just hear "dfoigndfoigdfsjnsjflndsafdsnfs." It's totally meaningless.

I got Merill up to full friendship and romanced her, at some point her armor changed from her standard suit to this silvery-grey armor.

Was this from getting her to full friendship, asking her to move in to my estate, finishing her personal quest, or some combination of those? I'm now interested in doing this for every character at some point if available.

Also if it's a friendship/rivalry thing, are there alternate outfits for getting someone to full rivalry?

JoeBoy101

wayward archer said:
I got Merill up to full friendship and romanced her.

When did you get the chance to romance her? I've only had a few talks with her at her house and only one of the 'Heart' options (which I took). Do you have to fill the bar *wink,wink* first?

As to alternative outfits, I was under the impression is was based on which act you were in. Though it might also key off events or how many upgrades to their outfits you have gotten.

FlyinJ said:
How are you guys beating bosses on hard combat difficulty on the console? I always play the game on hard, but I knock it down to normal for bosses. I have no idea how they expect me to pass some of these encounters otherwise. Am I supposed to grind a ton before hand?

I can maybe see having an overhead perspective with constant space-bar pausing on the PC working, but even then it seems like it would be frustrating as hell given how extremely fast everything happens in this game as opposed to DA1.

I have no idea how people on Hard and Nightmare managed to beat the
Ancient Rock Wraith
in the Deep Roads. Dude was a fucking beast.

Kintari said:
I'm assuming Rune Crafting is somewhere in Chapter 2 :(?

If memory serves (as if), look for Worthy in the Hightown market. Talk to him to unlock the Rune Crafting. From there, you access Rune Crafting from your home.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How are you guys beating bosses on hard combat difficulty on the console? I always play the game on hard, but I knock it down to normal for bosses. I have no idea how they expect me to pass some of these encounters otherwise. Am I supposed to grind a ton before hand?

I can maybe see having an overhead perspective with constant space-bar pausing on the PC working, but even then it seems like it would be frustrating as hell given how extremely fast everything happens in this game as opposed to DA1.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
FlyinJ said:

Take a good look at cross class combos. Properly manipulating them can make combat a lot easier.

FlyinJ said:

Griding doesn't necessarily help as enemies scale. I recommend using max consumables. Order them through your home and use them often during boss fights. When bosses summon minions take your melee dps off the boss and focus on those. Managing aggro through either advanced gambits or constantly switching between characters is very helpful.

I don't even want to picture some of these fights on Nightmare.

REV 09

FlyinJ said:

i find that having key party members "hold" their positions to help with tougher fights. Also, i think some attacks do more damage from behind, so try to sandwich characters so that your ranged mages and rogues are shooting the enemy in the back.

JoeBoy101 said:
When did you get the chance to romance her? I've only had a few talks with her at her house and only one of the 'Heart' options (which I took). Do you have to fill the bar *wink,wink* first?

As to alternative outfits, I was under the impression is was based on which act you were in. Though it might also key off events or how many upgrades to their outfits you have gotten.

It happened after I completely finished the quest where she wants to rebuild the magic mirror in her bedroom.

I did take her into
the fade
and I'm pretty sure failed spectacularly there because she had some big rivalry+ shifts while we were in there, but doing that mirror quest still managed to get her up to full friendship.

And nobody else has changed outfits (yet). The armor she's wearing is almost silvery-white, it very much looks like a 'good' outfit, which makes me think there could be a full rivalry outfit as well. Makes her stand out a lot.

Top Bottom