• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

canadian crowe said:
She's in
The Hanged Man bar
. I'm actually looking for Anders if anybody knows here he is.

IIRC you find him when doing one of the tasks required to join varric and bertrand's expedition. the one where you have to find maps.

bigboss370 said:
IIRC you find him when doing one of the tasks required to join varric and bertrand's expedition. the one where you have to find maps.
Thanks. I hate missing companions since I missed Leliana in Dragon Age:Origins.

Edgeward

God, I miss Mana Clash. Enemy mages feel way more annoying, had a bitch of a time with the last mob for The Long Way Home (I think that's the name?). Surrounded by archers, Reavnant and shadow warrior, killed the shit out of my rogue when I tried to rush him down. They got some aura move that is way too good.

njean777

antonz said:
Your simply about halfway when you complete that part. You should have gotten isabela long ago as she is available almost right from the start in kirkwall

really where at? i havent even met anybody that has anything to do with her.

njean777

antonz said:
She should be at the bar. There isnt really a lead upto her its just a boom there she is

oh ok well i know where i will start tomorrow then thank you

one more question is the dlc character as interesting as shale was? I dont want to waste money if he is boring.

antonz

njean777 said:
oh ok well i know where i will start tomorrow then thank you

one more question is the dlc character as interesting as shale was? I dont want to waste money if he is boring.
Honestly for the first playthrough I only used The 3 chicks excluding times where I was forced to use someone. The 3 ladies banter while going around is just too good. You have a Whore,Prim and Proper lady and a total virgin who hasnt left her house before. Get the 3 of them talking and it is laughs.

njean777

antonz said:
Honestly for the first playthrough I only used The 3 chicks excluding times where I was forced to use someone. The 3 ladies banter while going around is just too good. You have a Whore,Prim and Proper lady and a total virgin who hasnt left her house before. Get the 3 of them talking and it is laughs.

LOL the total virgin you mean the
elf mage?
Cuz if so I actually always have her around. But I guess for my first playthrough I wasnt planning on using him anyways. Guess ill do without then.

But i do like the
elf warrior he is pretty cool aside from his mage hate, has anybody else noticed the mages getting a lot of hate this time around?

aQ9n0.jpg

All the dialog options in DA2. This is truth - read them out yourself when you play and you'll know that I am right.

antonz

njean777 said:
LOL the total virgin you mean the
elf mage?
Cuz if so I actually always have her around. But I guess for my first playthrough I wasnt planning on using him anyways. Guess ill do without then.

But i do like the
elf warrior he is pretty cool aside from his mage hate, has anybody else noticed the mages getting a lot of hate this time around?

Yep thats the one who is the virgin.
Mage hate is basically the summary of this game. and it gets big

You're right, thanks. I'm looking for the Rivaini Talisman for Isabella and according to a guide it's supposed to be there, but it isn't. I guess I need to progress further for it to show up.

antonz said:
Yep thats the one who is the virgin.
Mage hate is basically the summary of this game. and it gets big

This is why you shouldn't put the same people in charge of game balance in charge of the plot and dialogue.

glaurung

If the local post service does not slack off, I should have the game by tomorrow.

So a quick question: I spied the emporium DLC on PSN earlier and caught the description about it selling rare artifacts and whatnot... Is it worth it?

TheUsual

Gold Member
glaurung said:
If the local post service does not slack off, I should have the game by tomorrow.

So a quick question: I spied the emporium DLC on PSN earlier and caught the description about it selling rare artifacts and whatnot... Is it worth it?
Only went there once, but I did notice you can buy a potion where you can reset your stats, attributes, and specializations if you want.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fredescu said:
How's the general party banter?
By and large pretty excellent. Locational and quest based context actually can play a role from time to time, and the cast as a whole bring their outside lives into the conversations more. Once in awhile it can backfire and ignore certain major plot points that recently occurred in companion quests.

On the whole the companions outclass those in Origins, but the only single character that gets close to Shale levels of greatness is Merrill.
b1fad21734b332fc82ea7f6161fc2a4c9c74061c.jpg

c214425fb29b4c46c781349f32a024e6e2f16532.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dance In My Blood said:
By and large pretty excellent. Locational and quest based context actually can play a role from time to time, and the cast as a whole bring their outside lives into the conversations more. Once in awhile it can backfire and ignore certain major plot points that recently occurred in companion quests.

On the whole the companions outclass those in Origins, but the only single character that gets close to Shale levels of greatness is Merrill.
I can't agree with that. Sten and Zevran were the most memorable members of the party in DAO to me, and I've yet to find anyone who really comes close. Fenris is growing on me though.

TheUsual said:
Only went there once, but I did notice you can buy a potion where you can reset your stats, attributes, and specializations if you want.

Did you buy the game? If so, that DLC is free. If you're renting it, then no, its not worth it.

glaurung said:

I wouldn't pay money for it. You get some items that are useful early in the game, and you get to summon your dog as an ally in battle.

dimb

zoner said:
I can't agree with that. Sten and Zevran were the most memorable members of the party in DAO to me, and I've yet to find anyone who really comes close. Fenris is growing on me though.
To me Sten and Zevran were largely caricatures dictated by preset archetypes. Because of this their actions and voice were enjoyable but often predictable. Dragon Age 2's cast does a better job of breaking from the one-dimensional fantasy character mold.

It's hard to go further into it without spoiling a great deal, but the characters of Origins lacked motivation for their actions. Zevran was a walking whore house and a murderous killing machine. This much was obvious from the moment you met him, and little about it changed throughout the game, or gave reason to the character's happy-go-lucky nature.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dance In My Blood said:
To me Sten and Zevran were largely caricatures dictated by preset archetypes. Because of this their actions and voice were enjoyable but often predictable. Dragon Age 2's cast does a better job of breaking from the one-dimensional fantasy character mold.
I don't know about that. Merrill is pretty much 'nerdy girl in modern times' down to a tee. Varric is the only character that I've seen as a really unique archetype.

dimb

zoner said:
I don't know about that. Merrill is pretty much 'nerdy girl in modern times' down to a tee. Varric is the only character that I've seen as a really unique archetype.
Merrill's passive and inquisitive nature hides something much darker. I wouldn't call her nerdy, because she's dumb as all hell and oblivious to the world around her. She blindly follows Hawke out of love, but it is clear that any demon would be able to pull her away with ease. I wouldn't say she's super original by any means, but she is a character with many faces.

Dragon Age 2's characters have more motivations and ambitions than Origins. Even better, unlike characters in the vein of Alistar, DA2's cast is much less willing to obey Hawke and work towards the greater good. Like real people, their friends and rivals have a limited sphere of influence over their decisions.

In fact the biggest criticism I have about DA2's companions is that there is a gaping missed opportunity for having a Quanari companion. It's indicative of the lack of real diversity within the cast.

JoeBoy101

lastplayed said:
Whoa, thought that was Nic Cage for a second.

Are we sure it isn't?

Also for the thread, love the plot turn in the Deep Roads. Making me happy that the game is really starting to pick up. Also, (Average Spoiler)
the Profane look really awesome. Love the concept of them.

Dance in my Blood said:
In fact the biggest criticism I have about DA2's companions is that there is a gaping missed opportunity for having a Quanari companion. It's indicative of the lack of real diversity within the cast.

AGREED
with big giant capital letters. In fact, I was hoping
the Quanari Mage that you try to help to freedom would end up being a secret party member.
I mean that dude looked and acted pretty awesome.

Luthos

Tokubetsu said:
Is there a cap on sidequests in acts? I'm still in Act I and they keep giving me a million sidequests...

Wondering this. Are most sidequests available right away? Because ever since that first year was up, I've been doing buttloads of sidequests. I'm not really complaining, because I love how many sidequests there have been.

But I'm just wondering that when I finish them, and get on to the main quests, will I find a lack of sidequests later. Or are there more later in the game that I can't do yet.

Xander51

Luthos said:
Wondering this. Are most sidequests available right away? Because ever since that first year was up, I've been doing buttloads of sidequests. I'm not really complaining, because I love how many sidequests there have been.

But I'm just wondering that when I finish them, and get on to the main quests, will I find a lack of sidequests later. Or are there more later in the game that I can't do yet.

Don't worry, there are more sidequests later in the game.

dimb

Luthos said:

But I'm just wondering that when I finish them, and get on to the main quests, will I find a lack of side quests later. Or are there more later in the game that I can't do yet.
Side quests are only available in that given time frame. If you drive the plot forward further the world is populated with a new set.

It does however, feel like the early part of the game is front loaded with more side quests than the rest of the game. Don't expect as many quests in the later chapters as you see in the first.

2San

Just saw the IGN review. So about the story ending.
does it really end on a cliffhanger? And if so how severe?

TerryLee81 said:
Is everyone playing on nightmare or what?

Is it too easy on normal or hard?
I'm playing on Normal, and yeah, it's pretty easy. I'm enjoying myself, though, so I don't feel like upping the difficulty now.

Skirn

Luthos said:
In the Black Emporium DLC thing, you can buy a respec potion. It can be used on either you or your party members.

Nice, might go sword-and-board with Warrior then. Hopefully it's fun and I won't need the potion, though.

Top Bottom