• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Nose Master said:
There... isn't really level design in RoF. It's quite literally a hexagonal grid. The battle environments in that are better, but they're also about 1% of the size. RoF is to RPGs what VR missions is to MGS, and accepting it as a full product is encouraging that lazy shit. Insert tag quote here.

I wasn't saying the game is perfect, or even great. It just isn't as bad as everyone's making it out to be. I mean, a fucking 3.8 user rating on meta? Really?

The user rating system over on Metacritic for this game is being hit by 4Chan, what it would be if it was left to real users is anyones guess now.

Spookie

Man after investing 10 hours in to this the inital: "Wow that's cool" has given way to a general feeling of boredom. Same locations, lifeless combat, story is all over the place with no focus and yeah as you're aware it runs just as badly as Origins.

:(

Sir Garbageman said:
Is there anyway to update any of your companion's armor in ACT I? I've done the majority of the sidequests and checked all the shops and haven't found anything.

Yes, you just have to keep an eye out for their armor upgrades as they don't equip piecemeal equipment like Hawke does.
you can get one for your sibling in the last room of the Birthright quest. It's called either "Heirloom Amell Protective Sigils" for Beth or "Fereldan Girded Plating" for Carver. Others are sold in various market stalls throughout the game or as treasure in quests

angelfly said:
Before Deep Roads is there anywhere to get a new two-handed sword besides the Imported Antivan Blade they give you?

Keep an eye out for weapon merchants, I know one you encounter during a quest has one for sell
Wayward Son. Vincento, Feynriel's human father, runs a stall in Lowtown's Bazaar and I know I've seen a 2-Hander for sell there.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Yes, you just have to keep an eye out for their armor upgrades as they don't equip piecemeal equipment like Hawke does.
you can get one for your sibling in the last room of the Birthright quest. It's called either "Heirloom Amell Protective Sigils" for Beth or "Fereldan Girded Plating" for Carver. Others are sold in various market stalls throughout the game or as treasure in quests

Thanks. I completed
The Birthright
quest, so either I didn't pick it up or I sold it without realizing what it was. Have to go back and check. I've also been checking stalls periodically but no such luck so far. I'll give it another shot next time I fire up the game, thanks.

Salaadin

Sir Garbageman said:
Thanks. I completed
The Birthright
quest, so either I didn't pick it up or I sold it without realizing what it was. Have to go back and check. I've also been checking stalls periodically but no such luck so far. I'll give it another shot next time I fire up the game, thanks.

I found a few on a merchant yesterday too. I bought for Bella and Aveline. I think they added rune slots or something...no appearance changes though :(

hiryu

Kifimbo said:

I'm betting that isn't real and Destructoid sucks. This is from Bioware

Below are the details of the final version of DRM that will be used with Dragon Age 2 for PC and Mac.

We appreciate your patience and feedback on this. DRM is always a topic of much debate, even internally. It requires a delicate balance between providing some level of IP protection while minimizing the inconvenience or intrusion to a player’s experience. These decisions are not made lightly - and a lot of time and effort was dedicated to ensuring that the system for DA2 is skewed to the player side of the experience. It is as follows:

Dragon Age 2 Physical & Digital PC/Mac DRM are as follows:

* No disc check, you do not need the disc in drive to play.

* No limit on the total number of PCs you can install the game on.

* There is a limit to the number of unique/different PCs that can play the game within a time window (if online) [5 PCs in 24hrs].

* After each new install there is a 1-time online check needed the next time you play, requiring a log in to your EA account to verify game ownership. If you are a member of these forums, you already have an EA account – just use the same email/password.

* You can play offline thereafter - the game will NOT require any subsequent login checks. If online, a game ownership check happens each time you play.

Steam versions use Steam DRM, no other DRM is added, which means:

* No disc check, it is used for digital game versions purchased from Steam only.

* No limit to the total number of PCs you can install the game on.

* There is a limit to the number of unique/different PCs that can play the game at any one time (if online) [1 PC].

* Each install requires logging into your Steam account to verify game ownership.

* You can play offline thereafter. If online, a game ownership check happens each time you play.

* Steam pre-loads use Steam release control – you will not be able to play until the release day/time has passed for that region.

Dragon Age 2 Release Control (non-Steam versions)

* Does not use securom.

* It does not install anything to the PC.

* Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not.

* It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed.

* You will not be able to play until that date has passed.

* Dates & times are set to the retail street date per country.

Common questions:

Does this apply to consoles?

* No. This is applies to PC/Mac only.

What about Mac/Cider, does it use Securom?

* Dragon Age: Origins for Mac/Cider used Securom. Dragon Age 2 for Mac/Cider will NOT use Securom and instead it will use the same non-Steam system listed above.

A PC review mentions Securom, what gives?

* All EA preview & review game builds sent to press use Securom which is where the assumption came from. The Dragon Age 2 actual retail & download version of the game that you will play will not use Securom, it uses one of the systems above.

If you have other questions please feel free to post here – as always, a reminder that this thread is NOT for the general discussion of DRM, the pros and cons of other DRM systems or any talk about circumventing DRM (which is against the rules of conduct and will be disciplined as such). Thanks.

Of course Bioware could be lying too.

Sir Garbageman said:
Thanks. I completed
The Birthright

You can get one for Varric from the Apparel stall in Lowtown Bazaar as well, I just stumbled across it.

mrseaves

Banned
Gamekult's review: 5/10

Good points:
Simple and efficient interface
Better graphics
Good length

Bad points:
Only one race left for the main character
The Tactical View is butchered
Overall lower difficulty
Can get brutish quickly
Areas still as narrow as before
Severe lack of freedom

npm0925

Like Dragon Age: Origins this game regularly throws you against 10 to 20 enemies per encounter. This combined with need to micromanage ability cooldowns and unit positioning devalues those class combinations that have primarily single target capabilities. Playing as one of these characters has become so labor intensive that my options have become 1. utilize the dumb AI and dial down the difficulty level of the game, or 2. stack my party with mages and have 1 decoy taunt tank. Seriously, playing the Dragon Age games is like controlling 4 WoW accounts at once. The combat either needs to become turn-based (a la Temple of Elemental Evil), reduced in complexity (e.g., to a Baldur's Gate level), or flat-out made multiplayer. Oh, and what happened to the birds-eye view that imparted a strategic element to the hack n' slash combat of the first game? Now I can pull the camera back like 5 fucking feet.

Aside from that, I find everything else about this game to be unremarkable or subpar. I can't believe that this is the same studio that produced the Mass Effect games. I am fucking pissed that I spent $60. I think I will go through the game as an asshole (mage) character, choosing the most offensive dialog options. Maybe that will make it worth playing.

impirius

[GRIPES THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS]

I'm up to six freezes now on the PS3 version; at least the game auto-saves often.

The copy-and-paste locations have gone beyond annoying and are now just insulting. I've been in the cave-where-the-boss-stands-on-the-raised-platform five times now. The minimap doesn't even change! I could understand this somewhat for the unimportant outposts in Mass Effect, but seeing a slab of cement over a doorway you went through on the previous mission is just jarring.

And what's with the enemies appearing out of thin air? I'll back an archer up to a safe spot, then three enemies just phase into existence around him.

[END GRIPES THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS]

There's a really great foundation for a game here; combat is more fun than in DA:O, the star system for ranking equipment is helpful, and the Mass Effect conversation wheel is a great fit. I just wish this had spent another few months in the oven.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Some of the design choices in this game sort of boggle my mind.

Is anyone pissed off that every time you loot an item that you THINK might be an upgrade, you have to hit pause, go to inventory, find the item, and then click on it just to see the stats?

When you loot stuff, the stats of the item really should be on that loot screen. Really sucks.

I know there's others, but for the most part, I'm really really enjoying this game. I actually kind of LOVE that there is no auto-attack. It makes me feel like I'm part of the action every battle.

FINALBOSS

Banned
impirius said:
[GRIPES THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS]

I'm up to six freezes now on the PS3 version; at least the game auto-saves often.

The copy-and-paste locations have gone beyond annoying and are now just insulting. I've been in the cave-where-the-boss-stands-on-the-raised-platform five times now. The minimap doesn't even change! I could understand this somewhat for the unimportant outposts in Mass Effect, but seeing a slab of cement over a doorway you went through on the previous mission is just jarring.

And what's with the enemies appearing out of thin air? I'll back an archer up to a safe spot, then three enemies just phase into existence around him.

[END GRIPES THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS]

There's a really great foundation for a game here; combat is more fun than in DA:O, the star system for ranking equipment is helpful, and the Mass Effect conversation wheel is a great fit. I just wish this had spent another few months in the oven.

Yup. Freezes here as well in the PS3 version. I had to re-do the same encounter in Lowtown about 3 times because it froze in the same exact spot. You are right about the saves though...at least it saves extremely frequently so I never get tooo frustrated.

And yes...enemies do appear out of no where. What's the point of the minimap depicting the red-dots as enemies if it literally does nothing? I do know a lot of encounters that has you fighting and then more enemies drop from the rafters and such to join in...but other times it's like they appear from the ground.

And good lord, HOW many times have they copy and pasted the SAME exact dungeon area? I've only seen maybe 2 different ones so far...and after you do them once, you know exactly where to look for the last mini-boss or for loot.

Hixx

About 5 hours in, doing some of the many sidequests and thoroughly enjoying it now. The opening is terrible but once you're taken off the leash its very much Dragon Age. I kind of miss the AoE threat thing warriors could get in Awakening but not had too much trouble so far. The Elf design is taken straight from Jak and Daxter though, can't believe how similar they look.

Anders' new VA isn't as entertaining as the one in Awakenings either but minor complaint really. The game looks great as well, the outdoor areas are still pretty weak apart from Kirkwall but I really like the lighting and it runs much, much better than DAO did with similar settings for me.

The pre-order/social stuff you get is too powerful though, might be why I've just completely steamrolled everything so far.

UberTag said:
What reason do we have to believe Mass Effect 3 won't be given this kind of treatment?
Because it honestly can't get much worse from the first two?

The first has the visual inconsistencies of a GCN game ported to 360. Textures on a character that would have looked bad back then standing next too an absurdly high detail rock. Streaming hitches, slowdown, and freaking godawful game ending bugs.

The second game is all around more consistent... but those glitches and bugs came back full force. I had to restart an untold number of times in ME2 during my Vanguard run because of Charge.

That move might be slick, but I'd collide with an enemy to find myself stuck in a waist high wall, or hovering above my enemies walking on an invisible ceiling. Shockwave knocking enemies into walls making it impossible to continue.

The only thing rushing can do to Biowares games is make problems more apparent. I like their style so I put up with it.

Confidence Man said:
Because Mass Effect 2 already got it.
ME2 is a much more competent game than ME1. It is a much more focused product, and the end results are apparent. It's fun from the beginning on. ME1 has the more involved history, the better story, but it completely lacks focus and because of that no one single mechanic works well.

The story of ME2 is what kills it.

We should probably be posting this in the ME thread though.

hamchan

UberTag said:
What reason do we have to believe Mass Effect 3 won't be given this kind of treatment?
Well ME2 didn't have ME1's problem of copy and pasted dungeons and I don't think they can change the combat too much from what they have. I think ME3 will be just more of ME2 and it's kinda hard to screw that up. In terms of pre-order bonus bullshit i'd say yeah, expect that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why on earth did Bioware remove the ability to swap weapon layouts on the fly like Origins? So many stupid things they've done with this game. :(

delirium

Is my game bugged or something. I'm in Act 3 and I went to see Merill and
she starts crying about Keeper Marethari has died or something but I don't remember anything about that happened.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ickman3400 said:
Wierd, since crpgs tend to involve more math and calculations than fun.

I'll take ME2, or DA2 if it wasn't rushed.

this could be fun but not every game needs to be like that or have some stupid persuasion stats or any stats at all (I maxed my persuasion in DA:O and had fun with it).

subversus said:
some people can't appreciate fun games.

CRPG OR BUST!

ME1 was a mediocre Shooter as much as it was a mediocre CRPG. I don't get the mindset that a game can't be great at both.

But yeah, ME2 is actually good.

Anyone else having issues picking up loot? I keep walking over the bodies and can't pick shit up...

Also, I have the Sir Issacs armor and the another armor from pre-ordering, but I have a mage. Does that armor go automatically to my teammates or should I just get rid of it??

UberTag said:

It's not the same team and it also is not going to attempt a reboot to the franchise in a short period of time like this game.

Salaadin

JimtotheHum said:
Anyone else having issues picking up loot? I keep walking over the bodies and can't pick shit up...

Also, I have the Sir Issacs armor and the another armor from pre-ordering, but I have a mage. Does that armor go automatically to my teammates or should I just get rid of it??
Any DLC that you cant wear, stick in your storage chest at your house and forget about it. Teammates can only equip weapons/shields/accessories/runes. If youre a Warrior or Mage, Ser Isaac wont work for you. Just like if youre a Rogue or a Mage, Blood Dragon wont work for you.

Any DLC weapons can be equipped by your party though so check that out first.

Darklord

Banned
How do I install the high-res textures on the steam version? When I press install it says to install DA2 first...

And where do I get the black emporium from?

Edit: Wow @ the steam news feed for DA2. Looks like their giving them shit too.

delirium said:
Is my game bugged or something. I'm in Act 3 and I went to see Merill and
she starts crying about Keeper Marethari has died or something but I don't remember anything about that happened.
It's bugged, I got it too. You are supposed to see it after her chapter 3 quest, but it triggers early. It didn't break anything else for her for me though.

delirium

Basileus777 said:
It's bugged, I got it too. You are supposed to see it after her chapter 3 quest, but it triggers early. It didn't break anything else for her for me though.
So basically, if I just continue playing, her quest will continue and that scene will happen again?

Hixx

Darklord said:
How do I install the high-res textures on the steam version? When I press install it says to install DA2 first...

And where do I get the black emporium from?

Edit: Wow @ the steam news feed for DA2. Looks like their giving them shit too.

High res pack you have to run DA2 first. Fully to the launcher, back out and then you should be able to install.

Black Emporium, check your CD Keys, there should be 2 (3 if you pre-ordered). On the launcher if you click the boxes at the bottom that say to register your game, log in etc and use those codes. The long one with no dashes is the game key, the ones with dashes are the extra content codes. I got pissed cos the site says the CD Key should be seperated by 4 dashes but its not.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For those of you concerned about the length, I am 15 hours in and still on chapter 1... and I just got 2 more sidequests to do.

Darklord

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
High res pack you have to run DA2 first. Fully to the launcher, back out and then you should be able to install.

Black Emporium, check your CD Keys, there should be 2 (3 if you pre-ordered). On the launcher if you click the boxes at the bottom that say to register your game, log in etc and use those codes. The long one with no dashes is the game key, the ones with dashes are the extra content codes. I got pissed cos the site says the CD Key should be seperated by 4 dashes but its not.

Thanks!

Riptwo

I don't think that the Destructoid article is incorrect. I bought the disc based version of the game on day one, and while installing it Windows 7 asked me if I wanted to allow some Sony software (don't recall the exact name) to install. I googled it, and yeah, it was SecuROM.

Now I've got this bullshit on my PC, and I'm not sure if the game will still function if I remove it.

impirius

FINALBOSS said:
Some of the design choices in this game sort of boggle my mind.

Is anyone pissed off that every time you loot an item that you THINK might be an upgrade, you have to hit pause, go to inventory, find the item, and then click on it just to see the stats?

When you loot stuff, the stats of the item really should be on that loot screen. Really sucks.

I know there's others, but for the most part, I'm really really enjoying this game. I actually kind of LOVE that there is no auto-attack. It makes me feel like I'm part of the action every battle.
I do miss the "press Square to peek at this item" functionality from the first game. The loss is compounded by the fact that many items are now just "Ring" or "Belt". I've started just checking equipment after area transitions and not worrying about it the rest of the way.

Oh yeah, one more thing! Is it just me, or are all of the "fetch quests" from Act I triggered only when you find the lost item? I kept getting new quests while looting chests and giving the items back to people I've never heard of before.

Jin

X-Frame said:
Has anyone els been rolling with a Femme Fatele group?

I'm using FemHawke, Aveline, Merrill, and Isabela. The party banter is awesome.

Merrill: "So you're a pirate, do you wear an eye patch?"
Isabela: "No."
Merrill: "Do you have a peg leg?"
Isabela: "Uhh, no .."
.. on and on ..

I am. FemHawke, Aveline, Bethany, and Isabella. Haven't recruited Merrill yet. One banter I heard ended with Aveline calling Isabella a whore.

Just received an e-mail from EA containing a code for the "Staff of Parthalan" and the "boots of the Frozen Wastes". Were those the Facebook/Demo DLC, or what were they?

Top Bottom