• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

DA2 definitely has some great ingredients that seemed to be put in the microwave instead of an oven. I'm enjoying my time with it nonetheless.

kitzkozan

Rahxephon91 said:
I mean I still like the game, because it's fun. But man it sucks that I defended this game at all. It's so rushed and it feels so poorly handled. What happen Bioware?

Actually it does. The short development time and the fact that all the pr points to earth being the focus make me kind of worried about it as well.

Easy answer: it's the fucking EA devil. :[

IGN: After the game is finished, do you go back through a play it again with all of the music in place?

Inon Zur: Sure thing. I'm actually really anxious for the game right now, so I can pop it in and start playing. I'm really looking forward to see it. I know there are a few bugs that still need to be fixed. Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I'd like to know if there are bugs, or if there's anything we could patch or fix. [Editor's note: Zur is speaking about bugs in the score only; he had no involvement with the rest of the game's development.]

Nert

zoner said:
It's Bioware. It's what dudebros now consider their 'serious' company.

What does that even mean? I doubt most of the people that play Mass Effect 2 get lost in thought because of how deep and serious and important they think it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nert said:
What does that even mean? I doubt most of the people that play Mass Effect 2 get lost in thought because of how deep and serious and important they think it is.
To clarify, I mean that it's the game(ME2 specifically) that people who play online shooters, and almost only those, can say to seem 'with it' when it comes to gaming. It's kind of like people saying they're into country because they like two Johnny Cash songs

zoner said:
To clarify, I mean that it's the game(ME2 specifically) that people who play online shooters, and almost only those, can say to seem 'with it' when it comes to gaming. It's kind of like people saying they're into country because they like two Johnny Cash songs
Are there really people out there who care that much to do this?

question:
Is there any real benifit to using the texture pack on a dx10 card? (hd4870 512MB).

My isp limits my monthly traffic so I'd rather not waste 2 percent of it on a texture pack if it won't make any real difference.

The bioware site mentions that you need dx11 to make proper use of it, but that just does not compute for me.
Empty marketing speak or?
Higher res textures are higher res textures.

edit: nvm I found the answer after digging through google some more, apparently it is just marketing speak and the texture pack works just fine on dx10 cards.

antonz

SneakyStephan said:
question:
Is there any real benifit to using the texture pack on a dx10 card? (hd4870 512MB).

My isp limits my monthly traffic so I'd rather not waste 2 percent of it on a texture pack if it won't make any real difference.

The bioware site mentions that you need dx11 to make proper use of it, but that just does not compute for me.
Empty marketing speak or?
Higher res textures are higher res textures.

edit: nvm I found the answer after digging through google some more, apparently it is just marketing speak and the texture pack works just fine on dx10 cards.
Yeah the pack works just fine for DX10. The highest setting is just reserved for dx11

Salazar

zoner said:

Man, your attitude is substantially worse than theirs.

zoner said:

Fallout is much more popular with that audience.

Nert

zoner said:

People that choose to branch out of their narrow range of preferences every once in a while, even if they just want to say that they've tried something new, aren't really bad at all. If someone is actually trying to leverage playing a game like Mass Effect 2 towards getting some kind of nerd cred and nothing else, he or she is probably crazy.

Edgeward

Haha, I ran into the same cave layout about 4 times tonight. That's just ridiculous. And fuck high level mages that all seem to have the force field, ball of electricity that is aimed almost always at my mages and teleporting everywhere. And I thought mages couldnt be any more stronger than in Origins.

jackdoe

hamchan said:
I will say the story seems very aimless so far. It seems like the main goal is to just get very very rich?
It's pretty much a grind to get 50 gold and it feels pointless. I just have no drive to play the game right now due to the aimlessness of the plot. Never mind the fact that your party members just pop up in missions not related to the overarching plot making it seem even more aimless. The pacing is atrocious.

Whoever decided it was awesome to have essentially 10 hours of sidequests, BEFORE the main plot even begins, should be fired.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nert said:
People that choose to branch out of their narrow range of preferences every once in a while, even if they just want to say that they've tried something new, aren't really bad at all. If someone is actually trying to leverage playing a game like Mass Effect 2 towards getting some kind of nerd cred and nothing else, he or she is probably crazy.
Oh I agree, but I don't think it makes one an expert on the subject. I'm referring specifically to people who think Bioware can do no wrong but have never played any of their games past what they made this generation.

dwebo

Edgeward said:
Haha, I ran into the same cave layout about 4 times tonight. That's just ridiculous. And fuck high level mages that all seem to have the force field, ball of electricity that is aimed almost always at my mages and teleporting everywhere. And I thought mages couldnt be any more stronger than in Origins.
It's insulting, really. I was headed to some outlying area, but was ambushed. My original destination ended up being exactly the same as the ambush area. It was like Bioware was straight up trolling me at that point.

I was really enjoying the game up to Act 2 and now it's just grating. It had that "just one more" quest feeling to it and now I almost just want to rush through the rest of it, the game is just so sloppy and rushed. I'm really surprised that this is a Bioware game.

I'm definitely going to finish it and try to do as much as possible but I can't see myself playing this ever again after I'm done.

mxgt

Banned
This has probably been brought up but I just started playing and this game runs horribly.

On DX11 with settings set to 'high' and everything else maxed I get 50-60fps which is fine, but if I set it to 'very high' the frame rate just chugs to around 15-20. This is on a GTX570 and i'm even using the latest beta drivers.

Does this game run like crap on very high dx11 for other nvidia card users?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
mxgt said:
On DX11 with settings set to 'high' and everything else maxed I get 50-60fps which is fine, but if I set it to 'very high' the frame rate just chugs to around 15-20. This is on a GTX570 and i'm even using the latest beta drivers.

Yes, this is a known issue with no fix currently in sight.

Dizzy-4U

mxgt said:
This has probably been brought up but I just started playing and this game runs horribly.

Yup, same here. I have two GTX 465 in SLI and I'm getting the same results as you. Funny thing how I can run Crysis maxed out at 55/60 fps but in this game it crawls at 20/25 fps on "very high".

Anyways, it runs fine if I set it to "high".

Riddler

jackdoe said:
It's pretty much a grind to get 50 gold and it feels pointless. I just have no drive to play the game right now due to the aimlessness of the plot. Never mind the fact that your party members just pop up in missions not related to the overarching plot making it seem even more aimless. The pacing is atrocious.

Whoever decided it was awesome to have essentially 10 hours of sidequests, BEFORE the main plot even begins, should be fired.

Same guy who did Mass Effect 2(SideQuest: The Game)

popup-launch_accolades.jpg

ill just leave that for you here...

"Dragon Age 2 is what video games are meant to be"

zoner said:

Seriously stop.

Shambles

Damn I almost made it through that list of reviewers without finding any site that I actually look at until I hit PC gamer. Now I feel like I've been duped :(

mercenar1e said:
"an epic" is the only word bioware needed to attract the call of duty dudebros

If they managed to attract new gamers as well as continue to entertain people like myself, great for them. They're a business.

Flemeth and Morrigan/mirror storyline still remains a mystery.. also before the battle with the Arishok the Gray Warden mentions that a bigger problem is coming.

jackdoe

Riddler said:
Same guy who did Mass Effect 2(SideQuest: The Game)
To be fair to Mass Effect 2, at least that game's plot started right away (even if it didn't lead to much).

Right now, I'm at seven hours, still not enough money for the Deep Roads, and wondering what the hell the game is about. I'm introduced to these random companions on such wild tangents and they have pretty much no reason to join you other than because you did them a solid. And after they join you, you pretty much don't get to know them so they remain strangers and you're still wondering why they joined you.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kinspiracy said:
If they managed to attract new gamers as well as continue to entertain people like myself, great for them. They're a business.
167p4zl.jpg

Not to throw a huge amount of stock in Metacritic or anything, but as a business I would be pretty let down with the reaction to DA2 in comparison to their other works. That metascore is with EA's targeted marketing push towards sending the right copies to the right people as well, it likely only go down.

It's even more embarrassing when they're following this:
2nvb1qs.jpg

Eurogamer: I've seen scores as low as a 6/10 - what do you think when you read those?

Mike Laidlaw: Well it's hard to know exactly what's going on with scores that are really, really negative. One possible culprit could just be a change backlash, i.e. this isn't Origins and I wanted Origins 2. There may be some degree of what I would honestly say is emotional investment in the Origins story, or in the way Origins was presented which is leading to a stronger than average reaction of disappointment. That's understandable, and if anything that really is a compliment to the work on Origins. I'm not sure it's an entirely fair assessment to say all games must be like the previous game. I think we would have seen just as much negativity if we just, as I used to joke, stapled two Archdemons together and called it a super blight. It boils down to a game that challenges a fair amount of convention: it doesn't tell the usual fantasy story or present the usual fantasy combat, and in doing so it does run the risk of someone going, "Wow, this is just too different and I cannot handle it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-10-biowares-mike-laidlaw-a-defence-of-dragon-age-ii-interview

hamchan

I'm really enjoying the game though. I like the combat a lot and I like the mass effect dialogue system and how it let's me know what sort of tone I'm saying. It allows me to be a sarcastic asshole every single time instead of me trying to guess what sort of tone I'd say.

The copy and paste dungeons are such a shame and an obvious sign that things were rushed. It makes me think what we could have gotten if it wasn't, probably would have been a super amazing game.

Nose Master

It's probably been mentioned, but after reading the comments in this thread: the statue on the right of the map of Night Kirkwall made me giggle.

Still blows my mind how much over exaggerated hate there is for this and how it's the exact opposite for a train wreck like Resonance of Fate. Never change, GAF.

Abylim

Well, picked the game up today, just got home after some major surgery.
Gotta say I'm not seeing the hate. I'm loving it so far, about 3 hours in. (stupid foot, stop hurting so i can focus on playing!)
It feels like Dragon Age just matured and changed direction a little.

As I predicted though, the tone of the OP just keeps falling through the OT. People are still bashing the game, and people that like it seem to be the minority.

Anywho, if you're on the fence about DA2, the best thing I can suggest is renting it. I'd say buy it, but in this day and age renting is cheaper, and less risky.

It's a phenomanl game, so far I'm liking it more than the first!

Nose Master said:
It's probably been mentioned, but after reading the comments in this thread: the statue on the right of the map of Night Kirkwall made me giggle.

Still blows my mind how much over exaggerated hate there is for this and how it's the exact opposite for a train wreck like Resonance of Fate. Never change, GAF.
Well it seems pretty dumb to compare RoF( a good game) to Dragon Age 2. It's a bit of a random game. But yeah it is strange that a small jrpg that probably did'nt even have half the budget of DA2 has about the same amount of crappy and repetitive level design as an rpg from a top tier developer.

Crazy.

mercenar1e said:
"an epic" is the only word bioware needed to attract the call of duty dudebros
This dudebro shit needs to stop. People enjoy the game for whatever reasons they do, they don't deserve a stupid label. Want me to go around calling you loser or nerd because you enjoy more "hardcore" games?

Nose Master said:
Lot of whining in this thread. It's not perfect, but I'm quite enjoying it thus far.
This also needs to stop. People are discussing the game. They are throwing out their opinions. It's not whining.

How about:

This sucking of Bioware's cock needs to stop?

jackdoe

Genjikage said:
Well, picked the game up today, just got home after some major surgery.
Gotta say I'm not seeing the hate. I'm loving it so far, about 3 hours in. (stupid foot, stop hurting so i can focus on playing!)
It feels like Dragon Age just matured and changed direction a little.
Personally, I thought it was fine three hours in. After hitting the five hour mark without the plot advancing at all was when I started to get disappointed. At the seven hour mark, and more mandatory sidequests completed and the plot still not budging an inch, I entered a state of full disappointment.

stupei

dwebo said:
It's insulting, really. I was headed to some outlying area, but was ambushed. My original destination ended up being exactly the same as the ambush area. It was like Bioware was straight up trolling me at that point.

For a studio of their size, it's amazing that they seemingly have like 4 people creating maps. I mean that's the only explanation, right?

I'm enjoying the game, though. I keep expecting to start to dislike it, just based on the sheer levels of hatred I'm seeing online, but hasn't happened yet.

Going to avoid any more mountain related missions for a while, though, in order to keep my good mood. Somehow the copy/paste there feels even more blatant.

Top Bottom