• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Was browsing the SA thread and came across this. Someone in the Bioware forums originally came up with it:

8jokZ.jpg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, BioWare got me to care about the characters.
I genuinely felt bad when Hawke's mother died, and now I'm wondering if I could've prevented it by making different choices earlier on in the game.
Well played, BioWare, well played.

Yeah I was really surprised by this cause they really didnt handle the family dynamics as well as they could have but that whole time I was going through the foundry I was like "dont do it Bioware, you cant do this to us Bioware, theyve already been through enough Bioware, Ohh god why Bioware, why!"

zsswimmer

I was really forward to this game after playing and putting 50 hours into Origins, without even any DLC, but the massive blacklash for this really puts me off. Maybe I'll buy it when its used and cheap, but some of the bullshit that is going on with the bioware forums is lame. 60 bucks its a big investment for a college student to make when it seems like everything has regressed from the previous game.

edit: lol'ed at the screen^^^

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
zsswimmer said:
I was really forward to this game after playing and putting 50 hours into Origins, without even any DLC, but the massive blacklash for this really puts me off. Maybe I'll buy it when its used and cheap, but some of the bullshit that is going on with the bioware forums is lame. 60 bucks its a big investment for a college to make when it seems like everything has regressed from the previous game.

Honestly the backlash has been grossly blown out of proportion in my opinion. The amount of misinformation and wild accusations and tirades has been quite rediculous. The game has it faults for sure, but I havent found it be any worse than DAO in that regard and in a number of areas I have found the game to be a good deal better. Its definitely a solid 8 game and a lot of fun and worth my 60 bucks. Im 35 hours in by the way just reach year 7.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zsswimmer said:
I was really forward to this game after playing and putting 50 hours into Origins, without even any DLC, but the massive blacklash for this really puts me off. Maybe I'll buy it when its used and cheap, but some of the bullshit that is going on with the bioware forums is lame. 60 bucks its a big investment for a college to make when it seems like everything has regressed from the previous game.

There are some good things in the game, but it's a huge disappointment for me so far (5 hours in), and I absolutely loved Origins. I'd recommend waiting for the inevitable summer or winter sales which will allow you to get the game and its DLC for dirt cheap.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Got to play a little bit yesterday and was really disappointed. Was doing a boss battle against a dragon and just had to occasionally grab aggro and run around like an idiot while my mage slowly whittled down it's health. It's amazing how long an enemy will follow you once you get aggro even if you don't hit them, it's almost as if ranged attacks generate next to zero threat. This was on nightmare too : /

zsswimmer

Zefah said:
There are some good things in the game, but it's a huge disappointment for me so far (5 hours in), and I absolutely loved Origins. I'd recommend waiting for the inevitable summer or winter sales which will allow you to get the game and its DLC for dirt cheap.
Yeah that's what I hear from a couple of my friends. I'm probably going to wait it out as much as it hurts to say.

Enduin said:
Honestly the backlash has been grossly blown out of proportion in my opinion. The amount of misinformation and wild accusations and tirades has been quite rediculous. The game has it faults for sure, but I havent found it be any worse than DAO in that regard and in a number of areas I have found the game to be a good deal better. Its definitely a solid 8 game and a lot of fun and worth my 60 bucks.
I feel you man, I'll probably get around to playing it but I just can't do it at retail price :(. Like I said, video games are already expensive, and I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Thanks for the reply though.

IsayFever said:
So the game is that bad eh? I knew it would be one for winter sales, but even only 5ish hours in it's not worth playing?
It's not bad at all. I might even go so far as to say it's pretty great. I'm enjoying myself immensely.

Grisby

IsayFever said:
So the game is that bad eh? I knew it would be one for winter sales, but even only 5ish hours in it's not worth playing?

I think if you had fun with DA:O on consoles you'd probably end up at least having somewhat of a good time with DA2. I'm at 18hrs or so in and having a pretty good experience so far.

Its definitely not the typical Bioware 'save the world' deal either. Yet. But I still like those plots, :p

^^^Above SA pic is lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
IsayFever said:

Depends on what kind of story you like I think. The story is very low key, its not a save the world plot where the entire country/world rests on your shoulders from day one like DAO. Its really about a group of people and a city's story over the span of 10 years with a very gradual and subtle build up to a climax. A lot of people dont seem to like that, I for one am really happy with the change of plot and focus.

Ive enjoyed watching Hawke and my companions progress over the years and advance in society. The characters on the whole are really likable and interesting and the sidequests are rather well done too, even with some recycling of environments, especially when compared to the crap quests from DAO which were pretty much universally abysmal and totally unfulfilling outside of a few of the companion quests.

I also havent minded being in the same city for 35 hours. I wish there was a bit more visable change as the years pass, but overall Ive come to really like Kirkwall.

jackdoe

IsayFever said:
Sevenish hours in and I stopped playing. I needed a break from the monotony of making 50 fucking gold.

Choc

Banned
stuck near the end of act 1 50 gold and maps.

i have the 50 gold and the grey warden maps but i am not being told to go to the next main story quest. I have done tons of side quests but its just not telling me to go to the dwarven place to give the guys the money and maps. so now i am stuck, help please :)

EekTheKat

I'm having fun with the game, because my Hawke is
having a lot of fun in the game. Snarky FemHawke would make Caruso jealous with her constant stream of one liners and inappropriate comments. My Mage FemHawke was driving Carver insane being so not serious with everything and constantly succeeding, so much so that he ran off to join the Templars.

Poor Anders - FemHawke's constant flirting with Anders was just killing him lol

Anders delivered this angst filled warning to FemHawke that he might hurt her if they got involved, normally a very serious moment. But my FemHawke on the other hand replied to Anders with "Hurt me! I might like it!" - ending with Anders having this pain filled half smile/grin on his face.

There were also a lot of great moments with Isabela. Don't want to post too many spoilers about it but she plays very well off of Snarky FemHawke.

hermit7

Choc said:
stuck near the end of act 1 50 gold and maps.

i have the 50 gold and the grey warden maps but i am not being told to go to the next main story quest. I have done tons of side quests but its just not telling me to go to the dwarven place to give the guys the money and maps. so now i am stuck, help please :)

Keep doing side quests or you can got to Hightown and start the quest by finding
Varric's brother
in the merchants area.

suzu

Snarky female Hawke is pretty great at times. Varric and Hawke are like BFF hehe.

--

Not feeling the random dungeons at all.. too much of the same thing. Faster fighting is all right, but I can't seem to get my tactics to work the way I want them to.

Ducarmel

Beat the game a couple of hours ago I loved every minute of it!

Its more mainstreamed I guess but I think it was fun overall and the story a whole lot better then origins. Maybe next game Bioware can appeal to both crowds a little better, they did talk big about how the casual and hardcore would like this game, it is more casual then hardcore. Maybe they should of just made two game modes casuals and traditional crpg.

So I need a DirectX 11 card to run the game on very high and have HDR etc on?

Why?

I've been running HDR on my games since Oblivion came out, why do I need a new card to run the game at maximum settings with all the bells and whistles I'm accustomed to when it still won't look any better than Dragon Age: Origins? It seems like the specs are getting higher whilst games are looking the same, so disappointed with this game, it runs/looks like ass and it's so obvious they cut corners to rush it out.

Well just got done with the rock wraith and had a little surprise sprung on me. At least I'll be replaying this game again just to see what I can differently
at least I can take a good guess at what I have to do
if that counts for anything. On a lower difficulty though, hard is ok but its certainly not fun or entertaining.

Beta patch for the retail PC version is up, it doesn't work for the steam version.

Just some small fixes

------------------------
Dragon Age II - 1.01
------------------------

GENERAL
-Fixed save game issues on single core machines
-Fixed game asking for non-existent drives
-Fixed release control issues where some players were unable to unlock correctly
-Fixed a Steam-specific issue related to VO not playing after switching
http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage2/patch/beta/1.01/DragonAge2-1.01-Beta1.exe

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Ducarmel said:
. . . it is more casual then hardcore. Maybe they should of just made two game modes casuals and traditional crpg.
I believe they tried to do this with the PC/Console model.
They failed.

delirium said:
Chapter 2 and 3 are noticeable less in length.

Yes they are. And chapter 1's length is artificially lengthened by forcing the player to perform a whole bunch of the repetitive sidequests in order to progress the story. Honestly, upon completing the game, I feel that I spent maybe 6 hours doing the actual main story quest lines and about 30 hours doing sidequests. That ratio is absolutely absurd. The main story in DAO constituted the bulk of the gameplay while the sidequests were just that: something to do on the side.

X-Frame

Oh yeah I love freezing 6 times within 6 minutes. PS3 version is bugged to hell with freezing.

I don't think I'm ever going to get out of the Wayward Son dungeon.

Quadratic

I seem to be having a tough time getting Merril friendship points. It seems like with every other character I'm getting an option to boost favour. Maybe I need to bring her along for more quests.

Ceebs

krameriffic said:
Yes they are. And chapter 1's length is artificially lengthened by forcing the player to perform a whole bunch of the repetitive sidequests in order to progress the story. Honestly, upon completing the game, I feel that I spent maybe 6 hours doing the actual main story quest lines and about 30 hours doing sidequests. That ratio is absolutely absurd. The main story in DAO constituted the bulk of the gameplay while the sidequests were just that: something to do on the side.
Pretty much the Mass Effect 2 template, but with less work put into the sidequests.

Grisby

Quadratic said:
I seem to be having a tough time getting Merril friendship points. It seems like with every other character I'm getting an option to boost favor. Maybe I need to bring her along for more quests.

Yeah, that works as I was having a hard time with her too. Bring her along a lot and always be on the mages side in any situation. In act 2 you can get her a gift and you'll score major point by doing her companion quest a certain way. She's been the toughest to add points to by far.

Ceebs said:
Pretty much the Mass Effect 2 template, but with less work put into the sidequests.
Yep this game is pretty much fantasy Mass Effect, which is a shame as I liked Orgins because it did things differently then ME.

JoeBoy101

IsayFever said:

DA2 definitely has issues. But its also pretty good compared to a lot of other games. And frankly, I like the plot of it more than DA:O.

Not entirely sure its worth $60, but its no bargain bin game.

Quadratic said:
I seem to be having a tough time getting Merril friendship points. It seems like with every other character I'm getting an option to boost favour. Maybe I need to bring her along for more quests.

Well, having finally got a relationship with Merrill, she takes some time. Bring her along quests and be prepared to save often. Sometimes you'll be a little surprised when you'll lose a few points with her.

She's great with Primal Tree though.

X-Frame said:
PS3 version is bugged to hell with freezing.
Yep. Some serious bullshit going on with me also, all my freezes have been during cutscenes. Other than that i am really enjoying this game.

I understand all the hate, the majority of the complaints are fair enough particularly from the PC crowd. I just hope this trend is allowed to continue with other games that have inherently lame mechanics or design (eg. animu bullshit). Unfair that only poor old DA2 gets slammed in the OT.

Grisby

Feel bad for ps3 bros. That freezing shit is inexcusable.

Varics companion quest had me laughing a bit the beginning. Was kinda funny. Got most of the companions quests done in Act 2 and now I'm starting the main ones. Merriell finally came around too. As the poster above said it takes a while for her.

gdt

IsayFever said:

It has it's issues, (mainly copy paste) but it's still a good-to-great game.

X-Frame

I'm just running through this time on Normal and just getting used to the combat, the new powers, etc. Not much involved with strategy right now though.

Next time I will be playing on Hard and need to prepare beforehand what skills I will be taking for which companions. Merrill does seem awesome so far though - her own tree is very good.

Playing on PS3, I haven't even got out of the prologue and it's crashed on me 5 times - fucking ridiculous, looks like I'll be shelving this one until a patch is released. Now I wish I'd waited a few weeks and picked it up cheaper.

hermit7

Bootaaay said:
Playing on PS3, I haven't even got out of the prologue and it's crashed on me 5 times - fucking ridiculous, looks like I'll be shelving this one until a patch is released. Now I wish I'd waited a few weeks and picked it up cheaper.

Huh... I am playing on PS3 as well. No issues whatsoever outside of some long loads.

Really enjoying it though! The conversation wheel is really feeling fresh compared to ME.

REV 09

18 hours in and just got to the Deep Roads. I like the supporting cast much better here than in Origins. The repetitive dungeons and lack of armor customizations are my biggest gripes. Really like it though.

Delio

Quadratic said:

I'm SOOO close to friendship with her and im in Act 3. The one i'm finding it hard to get anywhere is Fenris. I love the guy but my pro mage stance is driving him crazy yet i seem to randomly get friendship with him at the oddest times.

MechaX

Managed to snag DA2 for $25 by trading in to GameStop three games that I both did not really play anymore and obtained said games through a discounted price anyway so my losses were for the most part minimal. This is the happy medium because I can at least play the game to satisfy my curiosity without feeling much guilt about buying it at full price.

... Too bad I now need to download this other DLC character.

Van Buren

15 hours into act 1, and the main quest has yet to truly start. Unfortunately, I just realized that I haven't encountered a non-combat solution for even a single side quest in all these hours. To make matters worse, the side quests involve copy-pasted dungeons and a combat system that is a lottery with its mid-battle spawns on nightmare. Game's plagued with such baffling design decisions.

Fox the Sly

Is it possible to create a convincing black male/female character? I don't mind if there's no black npcs, but I'd prefer a convincing character if possible. I downloaded the demo, but the options are quite limited.

Fox the Sly said:
Is it possible to create a convincing black male/female character? I don't mind if there's no black npcs, but I'd prefer a convincing character if possible. I downloaded the demo, but the options are quite limited.

They won't be much darker than Isabela or have the proper facial structure you would most likely look for typically. Perhaps in DA3 a new area of the world will be discovered...

Zeliard

Heh I just did the first part of the companion quest for Aveline and she wasn't even in my party. The quest wouldn't trigger at first and then they all aggro'd on me, so I killed them all and completed that part. Aveline ended up being invisible during the subsequent cutscene.

Well I finally finished the game. I was enjoying it until chapter three, when the endless sidequests and constantly repeating areas and assets finally got to me. Beyond the issue of lack of main story content, the main plot of mages vs templars ended up boring me because they hammer the same points over and over and over. I'm glad they didn't do another save the world game, but what they ended up doing was poorly executed and lacked enough depth to be the basis for an entire game. It's a decent game, and I don't think the dumbing down of it is anywhere near it's largest problem, but the game is kind of a downer.

Fox the Sly

KibblesBits said:
They won't be much darker than Isabela or have the proper facial structure you would most likely look for typically. Perhaps in DA3 a new area of the world will be discovered...

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I'm about 8 hours in and seriously losing motivation to keep playing. I just don't have any personal attachment to Hawke like I did with my DA:O character, and the quests seem so disjointed and pointless I just don't care any more.

I've gone from this:

11kfpjd.jpg

...to trying to find the motivation to finish DA2. I'll keep trying I guess, it's a digital version so I'm stuck with it whether I like it or not.

delirium

Fox the Sly said:
IIRC, there's a fairly black NPC selling items in Lowtown.

Jin

Someone at the Bioware forum suggest turning on triple buffering in the .ini file to make the game run smoother. So far it has worked for me.

Well, I was looking for a way to turn off tesselation manualy and I opened the DragonAge.ini to see if there was a setting that I could change. While searching for it, I saw that there's a option to use Triple Buffering, wich is not present neither ingame or in the config.exe. I changed it from 0 to 1 and I got a better response from the game(from 20 fps it jumped to steady 50 fps with everything maxed out on a Phenom 2 955BE, 4gb, HD5850). You might want to try out to see if it fixes your performace problem.

ninja edit:
You can find it under the path "\BioWare\Dragon Age 2\Settings\DragonAge.ini" in your My Documents folder. The line is "UseTripleBuffering=0". There's also a "EnableLatentQueries=0" wich I don't know what it changes or what values to use. Testing it atm.

Top Bottom