• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
O lord@ my conversations with Alister just now. After 50 some odd hours I finally got his approval up to where I can open up new conversations and we had one about sex. So hilarious.

Alister - "All my time in the chantry has made me a gentleman. That's..... that's not so bad, is it?"

Me - "You tell me"

:lol :lol :lol

Is there a set of tactics someone could recommend for early in the game so my party doesn't just charge in like a bunch of jack asses and aggro more enemies than I can handle at once. Even with actively taking control and directing where I want my party members to go the A.I. can completely disregard what I want it to do and just do whatever it wants.

I'm playing on Normal and it seems like I'm always one step away from getting wrecked by average encounters. It's not my first Bioware rpg, I've played Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire and Mass Effect, but Dragon Age is the first PC rpg and I'm really struggling to try and enjoy this game. I've got everything running on high and the environments look, I don't know, kind of terrible. Mass Effect's environments looked better than this, or at least that's my recollection. I have to download some of those texture packs to see how it improves things.

voltron

So without telling me where to get it, I just wanna know if it's possible to get a decent 1 handed blade above 8.4 damage that also has rune slots?

I've been using an axe for ages waiting for a a sword that has better damage and has slots but no one has any. So frustrating. I've gone weapon & shied so don't wanna use a 2 handed sword.

I've come across a couple of 10.5 single hand swords but they have no rune slots.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ShockingAlberto said:
I went to the Arl's place first and I'm really regretting it.

I can get about what I assume is halfway through the castle until I enter an arena-like area outside. In there, a big armored enemy called, I think, Revnant tears me apart, but not before all the undead/skeletons get their licks in. I'm about level 7 across the board, should I retreat and try elsewhere for now or is there a super secret weakness that helps?

This might have been answered but there is something you can do to make that part much less stressful.
You can open the gate to the courtyard and a bunch of knights stream in to help.

jaundicejuice said:
Is there a set of tactics someone could recommend for early in the game so my party doesn't just charge in like a bunch of jack asses and aggro more enemies than I can handle at once. Even with actively taking control and directing where I want my party members to go the A.I. can completely disregard what I want it to do and just do whatever it wants.

Generally what i do is park my party and then take my Rogue and scout ahead while stealthing. Once i find a group of enemies i equip my bow fire to get their attention. Usually this will get a few guys from the group or sometimes just that group (oftentimes i get wiped because when fighting a group, another group in the next room comes rushing out to aid their friends). i run back to the main party, take control of everyone and wait for the first guy to get in the door. After that i instruct everyone to fight that enemy, focus firing until it is dead.

While the party is attacking i usually take control of Morrigan and use her spells to keep enemies locked down as best as i can (Mind Blast if they start beating on Morrigan, Cone of Cold is the spell to get ASAP early game.. if well placed you can freeze like 10 guys solid for a good amount of time). As enemies die, i pause and focus fire again on the next lowest enemy if there is no other high priority target (enemy mage for example). Thats my basic strategy. The only fights that give me problems are ones with like 20 guys (i dont have a good AoE spell yet.. level 10) and sometimes fights that start right from dialogue (but its been better since ive picked up Wynne).

knitoe

Alistar works great as tank for me. Get most of monsters to attack him (AI) with threaten and taunt. Key is cast Force Shield when his life is at 50% or so. He can't be damage, but the monsters surrounding him will just be standing there doing nothing. Then, I use my rouge to BS them one by one.

Fafnir

voltron said:
So without telling me where to get it, I just wanna know if it's possible to get a decent 1 handed blade above 8.4 damage that also has rune slots?

I bought a Dar'Misaan long sword dmg 11.20, 3 Ruin slots at a merchant.

JayDubya

Banned
Ami posed a question about what to do with Alistair regarding whether or not to get him the thickest armor possible on higher difficulties. The answer is...

Um, yes.

Con is great and all, but 38-42 Strength gets you in decent massive armor, and massive armor is what makes your health have the potential to last long enough to matter. Sure, once you get that 42 Str, you can back off it and start filling in the Dex for shield skills, the Will to still be able to use copious amounts of abilities, and the Con to have enough hit points for big boss fights later on...

But yeah. Slap the Warden Commander / Blood Armor / Juggernaut on him, at least until you get a dragon scale and can have that armor forged.

Also, thicker tiers of armor add more to hostility generation, so it's win / win. I have Sten use my other sets of Massive Armor anyway despite this - my protagonist manages to take most the heat off him, but at least with the armor, he can survive long enough for Wynne to manage his health.

This may have already been touched on but I ran in a bug. I started a new Noble Dwarf playthrough, after I the origin story I noticed that when my character was stripped of his gear they also took the one piece of the Blood Dragon armor.

How do I get this back?

Kosma

Banned
I'm really happy with my party setup:

Me: Champion shield and sword tank (missing 1 shield talent so far)
Sten: 2 handed warrior (missing 2 2 handed talents so far)
Morrigan: Entropy (for Nightmare) and now Ice (for Cone of Cold) and 1 healing spell ( didnt go furhter then bear for shapeshifting cause it sucked)
Wynne: All out Healer

A nice tactic I use for large groups involves both me and Sten being immume to knockdown and Wynne casting Earthquake on the are they fight. No knockdown is also essential to fight the high dragons Imho.

Acidote

Spoiler about landsmeet:

I've passed trough HELL to
kill Ser Cauthdrien at the arl Howe's house after the queen's betrayal, she died at the first try, but only with my PC left, and with 1 hit let to die:lol . It must be the best fight I've ever done, had she killed me, I'd have turned difficulty back to normal because I wouldn't ever be able to kill her.
Lucky me.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
grkazan12 said:
Is it true that the ps3 has better visuals than the xbox 360 or are they basically the same graphically???

PS3 seems to have slighty better texture quality, but the framerate is lower from what I've gathered.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
clashfan said:
Playing the 360 on normal but I seem to be dying alot. It just seems like the random battles are really tough. Sorry to ask again but how do I train while in camp?

Hmm I didnt know you could train in camp.

But make sure you put in the custom tactics for each one of your guys. I got each one on defensive or cautious so they dont go out chasing enemies. Except morrigan she's on ranged.

Also put the self---health < 50%---use item----lesser health poultice so they heal themselves if youre not controlling each party member. Level up morrigan yourself so you can eventually give her the healing ability, that helps a lot.

If you can get shale get him asap he's great to have in the beginning of the game, also the dog. both take lots of damage

just save after each and every battle, motherfuckers make you fight so many fights in a row some times that just when you think it's over there's ANOTHER fight and you may be out of potions at that time. I had to redo a bunch of fights in orzammer just to beat the last one.

---soldier's peak sucked badly. I'm still glad I got it so I can store my loot though, damn

bengraven

Amir0x said:
THE PIGEONS MIGHT BE WATCHING OOO

Shale is a one note joke which completely shatters the illusion of atmosphere the game has :(

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to just add some cartoon character to this serious, dark fantasy.

I might use the respec mod to make Sten a tank. I like his story bits.

Amir0x

Banned
JayDubya said:
Ami posed a question about what to do with Alistair regarding whether or not to get him the thickest armor possible on higher difficulties. The answer is...

Um, yes.

Con is great and all, but 38-42 Strength gets you in decent massive armor, and massive armor is what makes your health have the potential to last long enough to matter. Sure, once you get that 42 Str, you can back off it and start filling in the Dex for shield skills, the Will to still be able to use copious amounts of abilities, and the Con to have enough hit points for big boss fights later on...

But yeah. Slap the Warden Commander / Blood Armor / Juggernaut on him, at least until you get a dragon scale and can have that armor forged.

Also, thicker tiers of armor add more to hostility generation, so it's win / win. I have Sten use my other sets of Massive Armor anyway despite this - my protagonist manages to take most the heat off him, but at least with the armor, he can survive long enough for Wynne to manage his health.

I haven't got Wynn yet, but I'm guessing I'm going to have to really think about my party at that point.

Morrigan does so much damage that I really don't want to remove her, plus she's got her own personal side order of healing powers now. Is it worth putting in Wynne in instead of her?

I have Leliana, and she does a lot of good damage actually, plus she is my master locksmith, she can unlock everything and I don't want to waste any of those talent/skill points on the other characters.

Alistar is supposed to be my tank, but I guess I'll start piling on the str to reach those upper tiers then. Because otherwise, he's always going to be a worthless wanker and I need him to perform the most, because otherwise I burn a potion every five seconds on him.

bengraven said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to just add some cartoon character to this serious, dark fantasy.

I might use the respec mod to make Sten a tank. I like his story bits.

I was a little surprised and disappointed when Shale spoke. Would've been much better as a mute character that you had to communicate with in some other way.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Amir0x said:
Morrigan does so much damage that I really don't want to remove her, plus she's got her own personal side order of healing powers now. Is it worth putting in Wynne in instead of her?
If you get the healing spells on morrigan and spec spirit healer with her you don't need Wynne... well, except for

fighting Morrigan's mother, if you choose to do so. Wynne is dead and I can't take Morrigan into that fight, not sure what I'm going to do with no healing. I suppose I'll make stacks of each type of healing potion since they're on separate timers and the tank can just stand there going nom nom nom nom nom while the rest of the party kill her.

My dwarf champion/berserker dual wield warrior with a mix of dex/str is turning out to be enough of a tank that I don't even bother with Alistair.

He(my warrior) tanked the dragon above the urn just fine with only Morrigan healing him

nubbe

Woo-Fu said:
If you get the healing spells on morrigan and spec spirit healer with her you don't need Wynne... well, except for

fighting Morrigan's mother, if you choose to do so. Wynne is dead and I can't take Morrigan into that fight, not sure what I'm going to do with no healing. I suppose I'll make stacks of each type of healing potion since they're on separate timers and the tank can just stand there going nom nom nom nom nom while the rest of the party kill her.

My dwarf champion/berserker dual wield warrior with a mix of dex/str is turning out to be enough of a tank that I don't even bother with Alistair.

He(my warrior) tanked the dragon above the urn just fine with only Morrigan healing him
Don't need a healer. Just chug potions.
Works just as well but is more expensive.

ARGH!!

WTF.

So Alistair's in my party and all he ever does in every fight is stand there.

It's so fucking annoying because I don't want to swap him out. I quite like him. But he's a liability. Unless I control him he just stands there. Is it a likability thing? I've changed his tactics to attack pretty much anything.

I did some research and all it said was to "turn off hold" with the H button, which isn't really helpful on the 360.

Someone please help!! I like Alistair and don't want to swap him out for Crazy Green Mile Murderer!

BUT I MIGHT HAVE TO!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BenjaminBirdie said:
ARGH!!

WTF.

So Alistair's in my party and all he ever does in every fight is stand there.

It's so fucking annoying because I don't want to swap him out. I quite like him. But he's a liability. Unless I control him he just stands there. Is it a likability thing? I've changed his tactics to attack pretty much anything.

I did some research and all it said was to "turn off hold" with the H button, which isn't really helpful on the 360.

Someone please help!! I like Alistair and don't want to swap him out for Crazy Green Mile Murderer!

BUT I MIGHT HAVE TO!

If his tactics are disabled he will not fight unless you tell him.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Amir0x said:
I haven't got Wynn yet, but I'm guessing I'm going to have to really think about my party at that point.

I have Leliana, and she does a lot of good damage actually, plus she is my master locksmith, she can unlock everything and I don't want to waste any of those talent/skill points on the other characters.

Alistar is supposed to be my tank, but I guess I'll start piling on the str to reach those upper tiers then. Because otherwise, he's always going to be a worthless wanker and I need him to perform the most, because otherwise I burn a potion every five seconds on him.
I made Morrigan a spirit healer for the group heal and ressurection spell and that was all I needed for the entire game, healing wise. Personally, I think the normal healing row for mages is garbage and when I saw Wynn started with the full row I wanted nothing to do with her.

A mage can usually do so much more than a tank that, in my opinion, keeping a stack of potions for your tank to drink is far better than having a mage character spend time healing them.

Zeliard

Confidence Man said:
I was a little surprised and disappointed when Shale spoke. Would've been much better as a mute character that you had to communicate with in some other way.

He has a certain piece of dialogue about his voice, and there's also a specific reason he speaks that way.

bengraven said:

:lol

This serious, dark fantasy? Someone's been drinking the Bioware kool-aid. There are plenty of cartoony elements in this game, going from the campy blood splatter and gore on down to Zevran's entire Latino Heat character.

nubbe said:
Don't need a healer. Just chug potions.
Works just as well but is more expensive.

It isn't all that expensive, actually. All you need to make healing pots are flasks and elfroot, both of which you can find unlimited vendors for, and they're sold cheaply. You can easily buy 99 of each.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Shake Appeal said:
Make sure his behaviour in the tactics screen is set to Aggressive.

Even if you do this they wont attack unless you have Tactics on. Its annoying.

Just got done with the Circle and finished out the last of Redcliff. i think my largest gripe with the game is that there is really no place for a support character. Persuade, Stealing, Lockpicking, Traps.. all of it is pretty pointless. Its all combat, all the time.. and a character is useless unless they can fight well. It wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt my main character but the reward for having support isnt worth it at all.

Zeliard

Number 2 said:
Even if you do this they wont attack unless you have Tactics on. Its annoying.

Just got done with the Circle and finished out the last of Redcliff. i think my largest gripe with the game is that there is really no place for a support character. Persuade, Stealing, Lockpicking, Traps.. all of it is pretty pointless. Its all combat, all the time.. and a character is useless unless they can fight well. It wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt my main character but the reward for having support isnt worth it at all.

Persuasion and intimidation are useful. I've had tons of those dialogue options pop up due to my coercion being high, and I use them frequently.

Stealing and lockpicking seem to be worthless. I haven't messed with traps because Zevran is mostly all about poison/archery/backstabbing.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
It isn't all that expensive, actually. All you need to make healing pots are flasks and elfroot, both of which you can find unlimited vendors for, and they're sold cheaply. You can easily buy 99 of each.

You also need the De-stiller agent or whatever if you intend to make health potions worth a damn after the first few hours of the game :p

slayn

Amir0x said:
You also need the De-stiller agent or whatever if you intend to make health potions worth a damn after the first few hours of the game :p
I was still using regular and lesser health potions at the end of the game, level 22ish... (well, not lesser on the tanks but regular)

But distiller isn't *that* expensive and your camp sells infinite. Its concentration agent that is horribly overpriced and bankrupts me :(

Amir0x

Banned
slayn said:
I was still using regular and lesser health potions at the end of the game, level 22ish...

But distiller isn't *that* expensive and your camp sells infinite.

Lesser Health Potions are completely worthless I find; but yeah regular Health Poultice's work fine generally.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If a mage needs a healing potion you messed up somewhere along the line, IMHO. Then again, the game is very cheap about unavoidable opening fireballs.

Zeliard

syllogism said:
Shale is out of place? Haha, have you people been listening to other NPC banter at all

Yeah, I don't get it. I mean this is a game where one of the dialogue options, directed at Morrigan's panties, is "can't be any stinkier than what normally goes into them." Zevran hits on you every other sentence regardless of your character's sexual orientation.

Shale probably just hurt some feelings with his complete apathy towards the player character. :D

Amir0x said:

My player character is a mage so I haven't felt the need to go over the lower health pots yet. I have tons of those, and combined with healing/regen spells and defensive spells and abilities, they work just fine.

I've been using Shale and Alistair as dual tanks (or, if you prefer, Alistair as the main tank and Shale as the damage-dealing off-tank) for nearly the entire game so far, and it's worked out wonderfully. They pull nearly every enemy to them with their aggro abilities, and Shale has high CON so he can withstand it, and Alistair is sporting some nice armor.

Nearly all of my fights feature practically every enemy ganging up on Alistair and Shale, while Zevran is going around almost unnoticed and dealing various elemental damage through the use of poison coating, and doing massive damage backstabbing people while they're distracted. While this is happening, my mage is healing friendlies and freezing enemies and basically helping out wherever's needed.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Shake Appeal said:
I am here now, and enjoying it, but it's more long than tough. A lot longer than the other recruitment areas, I'm finding. I'm sort of pleased I left the dwarves until last.

Me too, I left them for last. Can't imagine taking this with a low level. It's quite long and some hard battles. I am enjoying it a lot though, I did Redcliffe which I found quite good except at the end, the Circle of Magi was underwhelming since it was so short and repetitive (oh and the Fade!) and left Orzammar for last.

slayn

Woo-Fu said:
If a mage needs a healing potion you messed up somewhere along the line, IMHO. Then again, the game is very cheap about unavoidable opening fireballs.
Fireball takes time to cast doesn't it? Light chain lightning and similar? (I didn't have it and can't remember), they can easily be stopped by any instant cast spell like sleep (although in my opinion sleep is by far the most over powered spell in the game anyway)

Top Bottom