• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

kodt

Banned
Lafiel said:
Are you sure about that, because doesn't that card pass the min requirements? the min requirement is geforce 6600 and up. You might be able to run it at low at least.

It would seem logical that 7100 would be better than 6600 but that is not the case.

The first number (7) tells you what series the card is (6000,7000,8000) the second number gives a better idea on how powerful it is. On top of that integrated cards are weaker still.

So for example a 7800 GTX is better than an 8500, but is about equal to an 8600 GTS. Sometimes the high end of the previous series is better than the mid range of the new series. Othertimes they are about equal. Really you have to look at benchmarks to find out unless the cards are in the same series, but even then you have GT/GTS/GTX models and that can factor into it as well.

7100 is an integrated workstation card not meant for gaming, 6600 is a gaming card.

Swag

Dunno whether this would be a spoiler or not but anyways. Armor related question:

I noticed the Blood Dragon Armor has a requirement of 38 str on it, does that mean I should pump my mage with strength in order to get some use out of it? Doesn't seem like mage armor tbh but I want to make some use of it :lol

Jayge

Sebulon3k said:
Dunno whether this would be a spoiler or not but anyways. Armor related question:

I noticed the Blood Dragon Armor has a requirement of 38 str on it, does that mean I should pump my mage with strength in order to get some use out of it? Doesn't seem like mage armor tbh but I want to make some use of it :lol
That would be like at least 10 levels worth of points right there, probably a bad idea. Save it for one of the warrior party members you might get later on.

garath

Sebulon3k said:

You can always give it to one of the warrior party members.

Ding

My HTPC has integrated nVidia 9400 graphics. While I'll almost certainly get the 360 version of this game, if I get it at all, I was wondering if the HTPC would run it. (The CPU is some modest Core 2 Duo.)

Sebulon3k said:

Armor gives fatigue penalties, making all your abilities cost more. It's not worth it for a mage.

Can anyone confirm what ppl are reporting regarding characters created in Character's Creator? The fact that the game itself messes up the faces when importing pre-made characters making the pre-made characters useless?

Slaylock

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Cmon you bunch of failures, post some PS3 impressions!!! :D :D :D
Saw this over on the IGN boards:

Nemss2880 said:
Ok, I just got back from my local GameCrazy, and they were comparing the game on a 360 and PS3 on their TV's in the back. Since I know the manager, he let me check both versions out.

Both were playing on a 22" Samsung. I spent about a half hour with each version, and started from scratch.

Graphics were on par on both systems. Unless you're flat out comparing side by side, it'll be hard to notice the differences. The PS3 does have more color comparing side by side. Again, nothing major, but noticeable. Framerate wise, I honestly didn't notice any hiccups that would take away from the game. Granted, I didn't get to a huge boss fight, but from what I saw, the game played smooth on both systems. And its a beautiful game!

Controller wise, its a split. I am used to using both controllers, so that could be why I really didn't notice any advantages from a 360 vs. DualShock standpoint. Both games controlled great. Don't listen to the reviews, I had no issues jumping right into the game with the controls.

I hope this does help some people who are on the fence. Granted, I only had around a half hour with the game, but, initial impressions, I can't really say either version would be a bad choice. I went with the PC version, not because of the differences noted, but because of the user mod community.

garath

Ding said:
My HTPC has integrated nVidia 9400 graphics. While I'll almost certainly get the 360 version of this game, if I get it at all, I was wondering if the HTPC would run it. (The CPU is some modest Core 2 Duo.)

You could probably play it in low settings.

markot

Banned
Yeah, the bioware site says 'wrong code!' or somesuch, but when you restart it downloads all the DLC and gives you all the crap, just put in all the steam codes and it should work.

Loving it so far. Combat was a bit iffy until I realized it plays exactly like Mass Effect. My biggest gripe is the lighting is really bad. Everyone's face friggin glows with any sort of lighting nearby. Took me about two hours to get through the human noble origin story. Well, I guess I'm through with it, I completed the quest tree and am in a different location. Was really cool, if this is how the rest of the game is I'm psyched. I love the campy blood effects too.

It's the item you get for uploading a character made in the character creator, so I don't think you can get it for the console version.
You should be able to, it saves to your EA account. It's how you get the flash game items too. But come to think of it, I only saw three items in my list already there, I don't think I got credit for something. Might be the creator item.

But yea, I wasn't a fan of sitting there plugging in four codes and waiting on a 200 mb download before starting the game.

Tubobutts

markot said:
Yeah, the bioware site says 'wrong code!' or somesuch, but when you restart it downloads all the DLC and gives you all the crap, just put in all the steam codes and it should work.

I hope that works. I'm still decrypting.

Worked for me, even though it said Wrong code, I restarted Dragon Age and it's all downloading now.

I either made my dude wrong or I'm just terrible, some of these early fights are really hard for me. I've died a ton already on Normal difficulty. :lol

markot

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Loving it so far. Combat was a bit iffy until I realized it plays exactly like Mass Effect. My biggest gripe is the lighting is really bad. Everyone's face friggin glows with any sort of lighting nearby. Took me about two hours to get through the human noble origin story. Well, I guess I'm through with it, I completed the quest tree and am in a different location. Was really cool, if this is how the rest of the game is I'm psyched. I love the campy blood effects too.

You should be able to, it saves to your EA account. It's how you get the flash game items too. But come to think of it, I only saw three items in my list already there, I don't think I got credit for something. Might be the creator item.

But yea, I wasn't a fan of sitting there plugging in four codes and waiting on a 200 mb download before starting the game.
At least its proper DLC and not 'unlock crap already on your disc!' shenanigans.

Such an amazing game so far! Oblivion is one of my all time favorite games and so far Dragons Age is right up there. I can see it even eclipsing the game once I get further along.

quaere

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Cmon you bunch of failures, post some PS3 impressions!!! :D :D :D
Game is very rarely able to hold 30fps. Mid to high 20s is constant. Doesn't seem to drop much lower, at least.

Jayge

I redeemed all the codes Steam gave me and it did that whole dual-confirmations thing with the "unable to redeem" and "code redeemed" but all I've downloaded so far have been these two rings, and nothing else even shows up on my DLC screen besides Warden's Keep for 560 points or something. Arg.

Edit: completely max settings so far at 1920x1080 and the framerate hasn't skipped once yet. I also like that the game interfaces at least minimally with this shitty G15 keyboard (I love the novelty). Awesome.

Tadale

I'm debating on my first character. I wanted to make a Dwarf warrior, namely because I'm more interested in playing through the dwarven starting area, but I'm reading that the mage characters are more interesting to play as later on. What are you guys starting out as?

Salaadin

LovingSteam said:
Such an amazing game so far! Oblivion is one of my all time favorite games and so far Dragons Age is right up there. I can see it even eclipsing the game once I get further along.

Does this game have the "spend hours doing absolutely nothing" feel to it like Oblivion did? Ive already owned Oblivion twice and was thinking about re-buying for PC but maybe I should go with something new. I really want something that I can just sit down for hours and get lost in.

I wont be buying anything until I finish The Witcher and I like to think ahead.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
LovingSteam said:

Do you work for Eurogamer?

So obviously downloading all the DLC has been hell for the PC gamers. But has anyone redeemed the DLC codes on the '360, or PS3, yet? I just want to know what I'm in for when I get home tonight.

I downloaded the "Warden" DLC from the marketplace last night and I'm prepared to install the DVD to my HDD when I get home tonight. But it will suck if this EA account linked DLC is slow to download on consoles too.

Salaadin said:
Does this game have the "spend hours doing absolutely nothing" feel to it like Oblivion did? Ive already owned Oblivion twice and was thinking about re-buying for PC but maybe I should go with something new. I really want something that I can just sit down for hours and get lost in.

I wont be buying anything until I finish The Witcher and I like to think ahead.

Hmm, so far it doesn't have that feeling. The problem with Oblivion was after you got out of the dungeon it was so open that you really had no idea where to start. Not to mention everything was so spread out and the dialogue was always the same. So far with DA, this isn't the case. The dialogue is fantastic, there is variety, etc... Honestly, it really is fantastic.

Darkone

If i install the addons while i am a few hours in to the game, would i still be able to get the golem and visit the wardens tower?

Darkone said:
If i install the addons while i am a few hours in to the game, would i still be able to get the golem and visit the wardens tower?

As far as I have heard the quests open up as you progress through the main story so maybe you could miss them if you are too far in (maybe why they put the quests up early for download and give you the codes straight in the box)

Argh, this DLC nonsense is irritating. The game is up and running and I have a game profile in BioWare's Social network, yet the in-game menu shows no DLC available, the social site says I have no games registered, and every code I have spits out a error except for one time when it told me the code worked and didn't work at the same time. I have no love for 'nags' in my software, but broken nags deserve their own little spot in hell.

Alex

Games already a better piece of work than anything Bioware's put out since BG2. Then again, to me, that wouldn't take too much.

I'm pretty taken back by how fun inspired most of the dialog has been thus far. A lot less cold than usual, even the lesser characters are really interesting.

I feel bad for trashing this on occasion during the last bit now, but man that marketing was bad, plus just coming off a second play through of Mass Effect kinda hammered in how short and weak the actual game design was. Hopefully Mass Effect 2 really refines a lot, like... decent areas and side quests that aren't agony.

LovingSteam said:

Really? I mean I can't give my opinion since I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but all the impressions I've seen so far is that this is the best RPG in a long time. Personally I only thought that Oblivion was 'ok'. I got bored playing it and so I've never finished it. All the gates you have to go through to do the same thing over and over got old real quick.

Wormdundee said:
Really? I mean I can't give my opinion since I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but all the impressions I've seen so far is that this is the best RPG in a long time. Personally I only thought that Oblivion was 'ok'. I got bored playing it and so I've never finished it. All the gates you have to go through to do the same thing over and over got old real quick.

Many hated Oblivion but it was my introduction to the new generation of games. The music, the huge area of land, etc... It was a game that brought so much that I had yet to experience in gaming (wasn't a PC gamer at the time). But Dragons Age is just pure bliss so far.

Dennis

Banned
Come now Alex, Mass Effect was a great game. But obviously very different from Dragon Age.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Oblivion are very different kinds of RPGs - and they play very different, so I don't really understand the point in comparing them.

bengraven

Fuck I hate that I'm at work!

Wife just signed for the game 5 minutes ago.

Yes, I've been refreshing UPS.com over and over again, what's your fucking problem?!

Google

LovingSteam said:
Many hated Oblivion but it was my introduction to the new generation of games. The music, the huge area of land, etc... It was a game that brought so much that I had yet to experience in gaming (wasn't a PC gamer at the time). But Dragons Age is just pure bliss so far.

Question:

If you love this type of game, why not play them on the PC to begin with? They've been there for decades.

I really wish this game was more stylized, the graphics and setting are so damn generic. It looks like a typical DnD clone to me. Oh well, hopefully the story makes it worthwhile.

Dennis

Banned
bengraven said:
Fuck I hate that I'm at work!

Wife just signed for the game 5 minutes ago.

Yes, I've been refreshing UPS.com over and over again, what's your fucking problem?!
I am playing the game right now...feels so good :D

Zeliard

Alex said:
Games already a better piece of work than anything Bioware's put out since BG2. Then again, to me, that wouldn't take too much.

I'm pretty taken back by how fun inspired most of the dialog has been thus far. A lot less cold than usual, even the lesser characters are really interesting.

I feel bad for trashing this on occasion during the last bit now, but man that marketing was bad, plus just coming off a second play through of Mass Effect kinda hammered in how short and weak the actual game design was. Hopefully Mass Effect 2 really refines a lot, like... decent areas and side quests that aren't agony.

The dialogue options are pretty cool, too. There seems to be a nice variety in what you can say and what happens in response. At one point, I inadvertently blurted something out that would have ended up getting other characters in huge trouble. I reloaded since it was an unintentional decision (though I should've just let it play out) and ended up going about things a different way.

Despite not knowing exactly what would have happened, I can tell just from what the choices were that the first method would have led me down a very different path. And this is still early on in the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So if all my Deluxe steam stuff shows 100% downloaded in 2nd tab, but only thing on 3rd tab 'installed' is the ring, am I cool? I don't see any option to install the downloaded stuff!

GreekWolf

LovingSteam said:
Thanks for the impressions... and I agree with you about Oblivion.

I always thought that if Bethesda could have streamlined the main quest just a tiny bit (with subtle hints to nudge you in the right direction), created more aesthetically-pleasing NPCs, and limited the dungeon-crawling to unique experiences, it would have been darn near perfect in my eyes.

Zeliard

Brandon F said:
So if all my Deluxe steam stuff shows 100% downloaded in 2nd tab, but only thing on 3rd tab 'installed' is the ring, am I cool? I don't see any option to install the downloaded stuff!

It should extract and install automatically and end up on your installed list.

Top Bottom