• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zzoram

kathode said:
Started as a dwarf commoner rogue. In one of the first areas, a guy offers to buy some of your teeth for a couple silver. I told him off, but then decided I wanted to see what happened. Had to reload, only to find out you can't actually sell your teeth to this guy. All the dialog options are dead-ends. Bullshit! I want to sell my teeth! :D

It would be hilarious if you could do it and your character model would be missing teeth for the rest of the game :lol

Mifune

Mehmber
kathode said:
Started as a dwarf commoner rogue. In one of the first areas, a guy offers to buy some of your teeth for a couple silver. I told him off, but then decided I wanted to see what happened. Had to reload, only to find out you can't actually sell your teeth to this guy. All the dialog options are dead-ends. Bullshit! I want to sell my teeth! :D

Ha! I wondered what would happen but didn't want to lose my teeth. Seems I didn't miss much.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Zzoram said:
I'm pretty sure top selling games on Steam always end up with a total in the 10s of thousands (ie. 20,000 - 50,000+). Steam may be big, but it's nowhere as big as retail yet. Dragon Age: Origins has had around 13,000 unique concurrent users on in the past 24 hours. Assuming people were not all playing at the same time, that'll translate to 20,000+ sales at least.

hmm pretty interesting. that doesn't seem like very much in the grand scheme of things. But they are making more per copy...

I wish it was more transparent.

Zeliard

CcrooK said:
I started with a mage and just wasn't feeling it. So I switched to a rogue. Soooo much more fun.

The part at the very start of the Mage origin with the Fade isn't that great, but it picks up a lot from there. The cool thing about being a mage in this game is that they're feared, misunderstood and hated by everyone. :p Playing as an elf compounds it, since they're the second-class citizens of that world.

Lots of interesting dialogue and character interactions playing as an Elf Mage.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
CcrooK said:
I started with a mage and just wasn't feeling it. So I switched to a rogue. Soooo much more fun.

The mage storyline is among the most boring of the select origins. Maybe it was Jowan, but yeah... not my favorite. Still, it's empowering to use a mage and enter a room and freeze everyone in their positions and then use a mass lightning AoE spell.

Arde5643

Zeliard said:
The part at the very start of the Mage origin with the Fade isn't that great, but it picks up a lot from there. The cool thing about being a mage in this game is that they're feared, misunderstood and hated by everyone. :p Playing as an elf compounds it, since they're the second-class citizens of that world.

Lots of interesting dialogue and character interactions playing as an Elf Mage.
Well, mages are very uber powerful by middle to end in this game, so I'm not very surprised. :D

bigdaddygamebot said:
I took dwarf noble as my first go through. Minor Inconsequential spoiler.
You can bang one creepy dwarf girl, or bang aforementioned creepy dwarf girl andf her creepy dwarf girl friend at the same time. At the halfway point...you "hit them and quit them". They don't show anything...just a not so subtle queue from an npc before the fade to black.

The WORST part is when you talk to your NPC companion AFTER
the rendezvous with the lady/ladies. The things he says and the way he says it...awkward!
I won't spoil what he says. Play it yourself and feel unpleasant and amused like I did.

Oh yeah, I did this it was funny. I thought about her afterwards, she got a raw deal SPOILER
the night after she bangs you just to get pregnant with a nobles child you get tossed out on your ass.
:lol

Zeliard

Arde5643 said:
Well, mages are very uber powerful by middle to end in this game, so I'm not very surprised. :D

Some think the mage is too overpowered in this game (again), but if you play on Hard his attack spells do so much potential friendly fire damage that it seems like that would balance out the power of the spells.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Some think the mage is too overpowered in this game (again), but if you play on Hard his attack spells do so much potential friendly fire damage that it seems like that would balance out the power of the spells.

Hopefully there are enemy mages to offset that. In a normal infinity engine game, as powerful as your mage gets, you still have to fight battles against 2-4 mages of equal power.

I can't wait to play this, I'm hoping for some really epic, challenging battles!

LowParry

I'll probably specialize as assassin later on in the game. I certainly enjoyed the starter for rogue more than the mage though. Vengeance!

Swag

Cday said:
Am I supposed to be a specific level for this part? It just seems impossible.

That part is hard as shit, I suggest pulling your party back to the hill and engaging them there. That way at least you have some type of control over how many you fight at once. The adds will just stand and wait for you at the chantry entrance so you won't get overwhelmed. They keep coming and coming so be prepared, I finished that part with only 1 person alive :lol

CcrooK said:
Hah, exact opposite of me. :lol

Have the PC version. Looks great. Like the combat more as a mage than a rogue. Rogue didn't click with me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You can't have trigger toggle on to queue? What the hell! Holding that trigger is the worst. What an oversight.

Also, how do you reliably get your entire group to flee? I've held both LB+RB which selected my entire team, held the left trigger, then pointed at a piece of ground I all wanted them to run to, and they only follow the order half the time. Is there a better way to say "everyone stop what they're doing right now and go here or follow me" (on 360)?

Zeliard

Minsc said:
Hopefully there are enemy mages to offset that. In a normal infinity engine game, as powerful as your mage gets, you still have to fight battles against 2-4 mages of equal power.

I can't wait to play this, I'm hoping for some really epic, challenging battles!

Haven't met any magic users in combat yet but I'm sure there are. There's an entire line of spells that concentrates on anti-magic.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Himuro said:
If you showed me this shot ten years ago I would have thought this was pre-rendered.

How do you get it? Doesn't it come with the game for free? I didn't see any redeem code in my box for it?

You're stealing my thunder!

Sceren

Neo Member
Here are some screenshots I promised. Not going to post much more as I don't want to show any spoilers.

1680x1050 8x AA 16x AF Max details

2ir4xs3.jpg

zo9kpg.jpg

14l0yki.jpg

wivls4.jpg

1zd64aw.jpg

Marshmellow said:
you arn't alone mate!
thats how im playing. I despise pausing the game, i never do it. its a personal preferance but basically i like making decisions on the fly, feeling the intensity of the combat and if i mess up, then i suffer the concequences.

Good example of this, yesterday i was watching my mate start off the game, he steps on a trap "game pause". he sits there considering, oh look a fireball is about to fly into my face.
He clicks off to the side, un-pauses the game and dodges the fireball. Took all of the realism out of the game in an instant for me.

Im also playing in 3rd person on PC because the isometric view doesnt feel right to me in dragon age.

(im interested to hear peoples impressions/comments on this matter further)

EDIT: Forgot to include im playing on Hard to get the most out of it. Taking full friendly fire etc etc.

Think this got missed out on last page. Has anyone beaten the 1st boss
Ogre
on nightmare? he was a huge challenge on hard, cant imagine how hard nightmare would be.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The game looks amazing on the PC. On the 360 every character has this hideous Oblivion look to them.

_tetsuo_ said:
You're stealing my thunder!
Yeah I like how it is practically the same screenshot with the same comment. Nice work there Himu.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Marshmellow said:
you arn't alone mate!
thats how im playing. I despise pausing the game, i never do it. its a personal preferance but basically i like making decisions on the fly, feeling the intensity of the combat and if i mess up, then i suffer the concequences.

Good example of this, yesterday i was watching my mate start off the game, he steps on a trap "game pause". he sits there considering, oh look a fireball is about to fly into my face.
He clicks off to the side, un-pauses the game and dodges the fireball. Took all of the realism out of the game in an instant for me.

Im also playing in 3rd person on PC because the isometric view doesnt feel right to me in dragon age.

(im interested to hear peoples impressions/comments on this matter further)

EDIT: Forgot to include im playing on Hard to get the most out of it. Taking full friendly fire etc etc.

Hope you save often

Dina

Cday said:

I just beat that part on Casual, after dying 4 times on Normal. Was pretty easy, even though all the friendly guard NPC's still died at the end.

Alistar, Sten, some Rogue and my main, a mage.

careksims

Cday said:

This shit was hard even on normal! They just kept coming! Had to reload a lot there.

Had myself(1h warrior), my dog, Alistar(1h), and Sten(2h). I had two alive at the end and had the npcs alive for awhile til they all died.No magic guys. All my guys were on a different undead helping out the NPCs as long as they can. I could never groupl my guys on one enemy. Eventually they will run out. That's how I did it.

Thank goodness for quick saves and pausing the game.

_tetsuo_ said:
Hope you save often

not often enough :lol
i dont mind taking a different approach at something if i fail it the 1st time and die horribly

just outside the first village where
Sten is in the cage
and you go do the chantry board quest for the
Bandits
. Just rushed at them and got severly hammered simply because there was a
Bandit Leader
in amoungst them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I tackled that part pretty well with myself (2h warrior), Alistar, Morrigan and Liliana as Archer. Those rip shit up. 2h wielding starts out slow. =/

careksims

In my game they kept tearing me apart and morrigan kept dying way too easily. I keep moving her away from the battle but some guys just crept right behind her and bam I see she's dead. I keep forgetting there are dice rolls to be had and it's not instant :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Damnit Morrigon :(

I spent so many gifts on her only to find out she drops relationship points if you select morally good choices AND she doesnt' even get it on with a girl character :(

Ah well, that church girl will have to do I guess.

Swag

chandoog said:
I spent so many gifts on her only to find out she drops relationship points if you select morally good choices AND she doesnt' even get it on with a girl character :(

WHAT, only reason I'm keeping her around is for the awesome lesbo scene :(

bengraven

I might end up replaying the elf peasant part as a male. My lesbo female is great, looks gorgeous, but I want to see it from a male's perspective.

I had no trouble with the undead there with myself (shield specced warrior,) Al (nearly identical build), Morrigan and the pooch on normal.

Went there after doing the Daelish first, though, which may have helped.

bengraven

chandoog said:
Damnit Morrigon :(

Ah well, that church girl will have to do I guess.

What_The_Fuck_Is_This_Shit_Dr_Seus.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sebulon3k said:
WHAT, only reason I'm keeping her around is for the awesome lesbo scene :(

Well she does have some nice witty one liners during conversations. But other than that .. yeah pretty much the same for me :(

LiK

anyone else got the 360 CE? the DLC codes don't seem to work cuz they don't have the correct number of characters

edit: nm, you need to do it within the EA servers or something...

ManeKast

LiK said:
anyone else got the 360 CE? the DLC codes don't seem to work cuz they don't have the correct number of characters

edit: nm, you need to do it within the EA servers or something...

You need to enter then in game, and add the dashes and have all capitals as they are on box.

Example: ABCD-DEFG-HIJK-LMNO entered from the games title screeen. Hope this helps.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Marshmellow said:
Think this got missed out on last page. Has anyone beaten the 1st boss
Ogre
on nightmare? he was a huge challenge on hard, cant imagine how hard nightmare would be.

Yes. It took me a couple tries.. mostly because i didnt want to level up my character and spend skill points. Playing as a noble dwarf warrior btw. i had issues because although Paralyze and Weaken from the mage work on it, aggro would immediately be pulled off of my fighters. If i used taunting abilities, those characters would be 3 shot. Without heals it is kind of difficult. i beat it once by chance and made the mistake of reloading thinking "i could do better" :lol Yeah.. didnt work out as well as planned. In the end, i just equipped everyone with ranged and had the mage run around in circles. Had to reload once doing this because he got one shot from a charge.

LiK

ManeKast said:
You need to enter then in game, and add the dashes and have all capitals as they are on box.

Example: ABCD-DEFG-HIJK-LMNO entered from the games title screeen. Hope this helps.

yea, i figured it out, thanks

Top Bottom