• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

garath

bigdaddygamebot said:
Well...it put up my achievement but not my character. Little steps but thanks for letting us know they're sortof getting up to speed. :)

I don't see my character either :( On PC though. Wonder if we have to force it to update.

garath

voodoopanda said:
I've only played for a little bit but I've got a question. I'm a rogue and I took Deft Hands which gives me a bonus to opening locks and disarming traps. But I've never been able to see any of the traps. Is there some special way to search for traps or are they just really, really hard to find? I've run into each one I've come across so far without being able to detect them first.

The traps skill gives bonuses to detecting them according to the descriptions. I'm sure a rogue gets some small chance to detect basic traps initially but maybe you'll need to move slower.

I am playing a rogue but haven't hit any traps yet.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
My character just randomly said... "There's a trap" and then it appeared and I disarmed it and got sweet sweet xp. Maybe you just haven't run into a trap?
Yup, same for me. I see some of them, and others I just stumble over and set off accidentally.

Doytch

slasher_thrasher21 said:
My character just randomly said... "There's a trap" and then it appeared and I disarmed it and got sweet sweet xp. Maybe you just haven't run into a trap?
Do you have the skill that buffs lockpick/traps? I've seen them on the screen, but I can't click to disable it or anything; though I don't have that skill.

Zeliard

Mindlog said:
Yeah that's why I'm a little afraid of wandering off too far into this thread. Thank you for the heads up. All I know is I'm going to have to put a little more dex and maybe willpower into my warrior. I've pretty much just dumped every point into strength since I started.

I also would have taken persuasion instead of survival, but such are things.

The first playthrough in these types of games upon release is pretty much a test run for most people since nobody really knows how effective certain things are, and how things can play out.

So far I've been putting nearly all of my attribute points into Magic and Willpower, and it's been working out well so far, but I don't know how much longer I can swing things without starting to put serious points in, say, constitution. I don't know exactly how the game will ramp up in difficulty yet and I've been getting by everything so far pretty handily (other than the ogre who was a little tougher), so I haven't been worrying too much about it.

Same thing with the spells. I've been buying various different ones to test their effectiveness, rather than concentrating on one line of spells, or one school of magic.

Jayge

Some traps just aren't supposed to be detected, I think- like in the Dalish Elf origin when
you get to the door that opens to the mirror room, there's that circular gas trap that you have to skirt around or activate and run from.

My Rogue detects a ton of them though. I disarm em all the time. Weird for you guys.

garath said:
I don't see my character either :( On PC though. Wonder if we have to force it to update.

Don't think so.

I'm thinking it's a queue. I'm figuring it's intorweb congestion. This game sold like mad despite the horrific marketing. When all they had to do was, "Hey, you know the guys that made Baldur's Gate? Yeah, they're making the spiritual successor of it."

Swag

Finally got enough str to equip this monster:

211kttv.jpg

Silly compression, making my SS ugly :[

Zeliard

Anyone else actually like the blood effects? :p Not so much the splashes on the character models, which are pretty goofy, but rather during combat when swords and arrows are flying.

Seems purposefully over-the-top and campy. It has to be. If you pause it during combat when someone is getting sliced into, the blood spurts are ridiculously excessive, like something you'd find in Kill Bill.

I also paused the game and zoomed in at one point just as Alistair was decapitating an orc, and I've gotta say, it looked fucking visually incredible. :lol

Mindlog

Zeliard said:
The first playthrough in these types of games upon release is pretty much a test run for most people since nobody really knows how effective certain things are, and how things can play out.

Yup.
and I let the chantry test my patience, done with that too

I forgot BD armor is also in this game. Another code to enter :]

hulot

macfoshizzle said:
man this is a DLC nightmare.. why they have to make it so confusing
What do they mean when it says the code download expires in 2010? I understand that you won't be able to redeem it after that date but if I already have, can I redownload those items forever?

FlyinJ said:
Can someone explain to me how they go about micro-managing their party in the 360 version?

Is there a way to pause the game and give orders without having that huge interface thing on the screen? One of the things I can't figure out is how to tell a character to use on of their quick abilities while I'm left-trigger paused over them. Is there any way to assign orders to each of your guys without the game unpausing every time you give an order?

Also, is there a way to get "switch weapon" on a hotkey?
Hold for radial menu, not toggle, is the only way to micromanage on consoles. And the weapon set switch can be accessed from the radial menu's advanced (upper right) nest. You don't have to go into the inventory.

Mindlog

hulot said:
What do they mean when it says the code download expires in 2010? I understand that you won't be able to redeem it after that date but if I already have, can I redownload those items forever?

I'm fairly certain all the DLC will be tied to your EA account. Should be able to redownload with no problem. That's how these codes are also going to work with other games.

imho

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This DLC situation is awful, why couldn't they just give me a fucking code that I can redeem at the XMB? I bought your damn game and I bought it new, I don't give a shit about your website. I redeemed the codes but now I'm stuck. It seems I have to register my game now, but does anyone know where the "CD-key" is in the PS3 game box? I can't find anything....

Zeliard said:
Anyone else actually like the blood effects? :p Not so much the splashes on the character models, which are pretty goofy, but rather during combat when swords and arrows are flying.

Seems purposefully over-the-top and campy. It has to be. If you pause it during combat when someone is getting sliced into, the blood spurts are ridiculously excessive, like something you'd find in Kill Bill.

I also paused the game and zoomed in at one point just as Alistair was decapitating an orc, and I've gotta say, it looked fucking visually incredible. :lol

The blood spatters and the "sex" is a bit on the embarassing side. I keep hoping my wife doesn't walk in and start making fun of me.

I love the dynamic fighting. When my dwarf brings his shield up for a block, it really does look like he's blocking the actual weapon swing rather than simply being an animation.

Himuro said:
If you showed me this shot ten years ago I would have thought this was pre-rendered.

2agjjn4.jpg

How do you get it? Doesn't it come with the game for free? I didn't see any redeem code in my box for it?

Wow. For a moment I was all, "Who sexied up Baldur's Gate II?"

Then I saw the U.I. That is QUITE pretty.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Himuro said:
If you showed me this shot ten years ago I would have thought this was pre-rendered.

How do you get it? Doesn't it come with the game for free? I didn't see any redeem code in my box for it?

Yeah, it's free... to download. But only the armor is in the inventory. the rest have to be bought from the dwarves at the camp (helmet, boots, gloves) for 2 Gold or so each. And I believe they require around 32 strength for a warrior.

Enosh

am I the only one who wants to first play this game in 3rd person mode and if possible without pausing on the PC?

Zeliard

Himuro said:

That room also looks really good in third-person. It might seem obvious, given how different the views are, but it's still remarkable the completely different look a scene can take when you view it in isometric as opposed to third-person, and vice versa. I switch back and forth a lot.

bigdaddygamebot said:
The blood spatters and the "sex" is a bit on the embarassing side. I keep hoping my wife doesn't walk in and start making fun of me.

I love the dynamic fighting. When my dwarf brings his shield up for a block, it really does look like he's blocking the actual weapon swing rather than simply being an animation.

I want a dwarf in my party. :( And yeah, the combat looks really great. I set almost all of my orders in iso during combat, but I also zoom in frequently just to get a closer look at the awesome action.

Haven't seen any of the sexual encounters yet, though someone mentioned that one of them keeps you from becoming a
Blood Mage
(temporarily?), so I'm gonna be careful about that one.

Caspel

bigdaddygamebot said:

Yeah, my g/f has often asked about the game and what in the world was going on (Morrigan moaning etc). Then she walks in when Wynne has blood all over her face and she's talking with a straight-face, and my g/f laughs and asks why she has dirt falling off her. On top of that, the g/f has played the poor console versions of BG and Champions of Norrath and continually asks if the game is anything like those titles (playing it on the 360).

Zeliard said:

I enjoy the blood effects myself. I just love when your characters finish off enemies in very awesome ways. I just find it funny in the context of talking to someone covered in specks of blood all over.

Zeliard said:
That room also looks really good in third-person. It might seem obvious, given how different the views are, but it's still remarkable the completely different look a scene can take when you view it in isometric as opposed to third-person, and vice versa. I switch back and forth a lot.

I want a dwarf in my party. :( And yeah, the combat looks really great. I set almost all of my orders in iso during combat, but I also zoom in frequently just to get a closer look at the awesome action.

Haven't seen any of the sexual encounters yet, though someone mentioned that one of them keeps you from becoming a
Blood Mage
(temporarily?), so I'm gonna be careful about that one.

I took dwarf noble as my first go through. Minor Inconsequential spoiler.
You can bang one creepy dwarf girl, or bang aforementioned creepy dwarf girl andf her creepy dwarf girl friend at the same time. At the halfway point...you "hit them and quit them". They don't show anything...just a not so subtle queue from an npc before the fade to black.

The WORST part is when you talk to your NPC companion AFTER
the rendezvous with the lady/ladies. The things he says and the way he says it...awkward!
I won't spoil what he says. Play it yourself and feel unpleasant and amused like I did.

Ploid 3.0

Snuggler said:
This DLC situation is awful, why couldn't they just give me a fucking code that I can redeem at the XMB? I bought your damn game and I bought it new, I don't give a shit about your website. I redeemed the codes but now I'm stuck. It seems I have to register my game now, but does anyone know where the "CD-key" is in the PS3 game box? I can't find anything....

Hey did you buy it from gamestop? You know how people talk about gamestop selling them games that was opened already and resealed? The threads where gaf would be like, "cry more" and stuff? Maybe your's was opened already and the person took the codes out. This would be interesting if more games do this code thing and gamestop take the codes out and sell them as new. It would kinda make companies try to think of another way to combat gamestop's resale thing.

Caspel said:
Yeah, my g/f has often asked about the game and what in the world was going on (Morrigan moaning etc). Then she walks in when Wynne has blood all over her face and she's talking with a straight-face, and my g/f laughs and asks why she has dirt falling off her. On top of that, the g/f has played the poor console versions of BG and Champions of Norrath and continually asks if the game is anything like those titles (playing it on the 360).

I'm playing on nightmare on the 360 but I imagine the controls wouldn't be too terrible for someone not hardcore and playing on normal, etc.

Kudos to you for having a female in your life that wants to tolerate all the awkward bits just to get her teeth into a solid RPG.

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
I took dwarf noble as my first go through. Minor Inconsequential spoiler.
You can bang one creepy dwarf girl, or bang aforementioned creepy dwarf girl andf her creepy dwarf girl friend at the same time. At the halfway point...you "hit them and quit them". They don't show anything...just a not so subtle queue from an npc before the fade to black.

The WORST part is when you talk to your NPC companion AFTER
the rendezvous with the lady/ladies. The things he says and the way he says it...awkward!
I won't spoil what he says. Play it yourself and feel unpleasant and amused like I did.

Is he a human companion who said "they're not bad in the sack, eh?"

garath said:
You can't get lockpicking with any class other than a rogue. Even the rogue's lockpicking skill is only an enhancement. Rogues can lockpick without any points in it at all.

So it let me spend a skill point towards a skill I can never use? Hardcore. Come to think of it, my warrior hasn't picked any locks yet, but I figured that was because he is a noob.

Swag

Caspel said:
Yeah, it's free... to download. But only the armor is in the inventory. the rest have to be bought from the dwarves at the camp (helmet, boots, gloves) for 2 Gold or so each. And I believe they require around 32 strength for a warrior.

This is correct, requires 38 strength, but some of the pieces have strength on them. My Alistair only has 33 strength and he got the rest from items. Needless to say the armor is awesome, he's taking almost no physical damage in Shield Wall stance. :lol , now all I need is my Duelist.

Himuro said:
Where do I dl the armor?

If your playing on the PC and got it off steam you should just have to put your codes into the bioware website and then refresh the downloader in Dragon age. Should start downloading the items.

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
Newp...your dwarven "bodyguard/friend" Make a dwarf noble and talk to Gorim AFTER the "event"....and that's all I got to say about that.

xD

As a dwarf, have you come into contact with any elves lately, or have they been mentioned in your story?

I haven't and it's pretty strange, given the pretty consistent history of animosity between elves and dwarves in high fantasy. I'm playing as an Elf Mage and I don't even think a single character has said a word about any dwarf. Well, except Duncan, when he was talking about uniting everybody under one fellowship, etc.

I'm still very early on, though. The game has basically just started for me since I only recently got to the world map.

stuminus3

Mifune said:
As long as you hold down the trigger, you can queue up moves. The game will remain paused until you let go.
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, I did not realise that. I guess everyone can ignore my previous protip about toggle mode. :lol

The unpausing hasn't been an issue for me yet, but I can see that it probably will as things get hectic.

Caspel

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm playing on nightmare on the 360 but I imagine the controls wouldn't be too terrible for someone not hardcore and playing on normal, etc.

Kudos to you for having a female in your life that wants to tolerate all the awkward bits just to get her teeth into a solid RPG.

Well she only wants an RPG where she can customize her character and equipment... and hack and slash with an easy difficulty.

On casual the game doesn't present any difficulty. Normal has a few moments... and well you know the rest.

Zeliard said:
As a dwarf, have you come into contact with any elves lately, or have they been mentioned in your story?

I haven't and it's pretty strange, given the pretty consistent history of animosity between elves and dwarves in high fantasy. I'm playing as an Elf Mage and I don't even think a single character has said a word about any dwarf. Well, except Duncan, when he was talking about uniting everybody under one fellowship, etc.

I'm still very early on, though. The game has basically just started for me since I only recently got to the world map.

I JUST got into the Grey Warden starting zone though.

The brief contact I've had with humans has given me multiple options to be a cock regarding the whole "Whatever human..." or "Dwarves are superior to humans...." angle.

I'm sure my dwarf will have ample chance to be a shit to elves when I meet some. :)

I'm still trying to let go of my Tolkienesque and Forgotten Realmsian view of humans, dwarves and elves. There are similarities but there are also enough differences in Ferelden that I get puzzled/confused by some of the things said.

<--- too old to adapt it seems...

Caspel said:
Well she only wants an RPG where she can customize her character and equipment... and hack and slash with an easy difficulty.

On casual the game doesn't present any difficulty. Normal has a few moments... and well you know the rest.

The power of loot compels you!!!

I really don't know what the loot factor will be like in this or customization of appearance via equipment for that matter. Mass Effect left alot to be desired and I'm pretty sure that Bioware has never done the "random thing" when it comes to loot generation after boss kills.

(although they might have got experimental with Icewind Dale I & II)

Zzoram

I don't think there is a single Baldur's Gate 2 fan that won't love this game. Unlike other former PC-focused developers, Bioware has managed to give their old fans an evolution of a much beloved game with a PC-centric interface without consolizing it into oblivion (pun intended).

Google

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm still trying to let go of my Tolkienesque and Forgotten Realmsian view of humans, dwarves and elves. There are similarities but there are also enough differences in Ferelden that I get puzzled/confused by some of the things said.

I'm in the same position as you.

It's not easy seeing as I grew up with a specific view of Elves and Dwarves (from reading Tolkien, and playing Warhammer) that now, when I see my Elven character being smaller than everyone, and being kicked around for not being human, it's tough to accept.

Google said:
I'm in the same position as you.

It's not easy seeing as I grew up with a specific view of Elves and Dwarves (from reading Tolkien, and playing Warhammer) that now, when I see my Elven character being smaller than everyone, and being kicked around for not being human, it's tough to accept.

Solidarity, brother.

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
I JUST got into the Grey Warden starting zone though.

That's what I just finished. After you complete "The Joining", the world map opens up to you.

bigdaddygamebot said:
The brief contact I've had with humans has given me multiple options to be a cock regarding the whole "Whatever human..." or "Dwarves are superior to humans...." angle.

I'm sure my dwarf will have ample chance to be a shit to elves when I meet some. :)

<--- too old to adapt it seems...

I do like the twists they have on some of the races, especially the entire
slavery
dynamic and backstory between elves and humans, as well as the two different and philosophically-opposed groups of elves. I just haven't seen all that much with dwarves yet in any capacity, and I hope that changes. Though come to think of it, a big part of that is likely due to my character being a mage and being sequestered from the rest of society.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
f1mr8m.jpg

Was finally able to wear the Blood Dragon armor as well. Pimpin'!

Now to buy the other pieces from that camp merchant fellow.

Oh and holy crap at the Stone Prisoner stuff:
When "Kitty" turns into that funky chick, wowee! Also the stuff you get off her is fantastic. Love the helm and the belt.

Hey guys, quick question and I know it was answered before but can't find it. I know two of the dlc items have to be gotten from a merchant or character if I recall right. Though the blood armor. I don't see it im my inventory and I just beat my origins introductory area. Did I miss it in my room/house or something?

:D

Swag

Diseased Yak said:
Oh and holy crap at the Stone Prisoner stuff:
When "Kitty" turns into that funky chick, wowee! Also the stuff you get off her is fantastic. Love the helm and the belt.

Dude, that was messed up, it really only gets worse. Some sick The Exorcist type shit, Bioware is fucked up :lol.

Getting enough approval to max out a relation with another character is proving extremely diffucult.

Rrang129

anyone find a way to hide helmets like in Mass Effect? I cant stand the way they look, I end up not wearing any... oh, Im on the 360~

Man the difference in difficulty between easy and normal is insane. On normal even the best micro management wont save me from the entire party being frozen at the same time than hacked to bits. On easy I can just make them run into a room and then go make a sandwich.

Enosh said:
am I the only one who wants to first play this game in 3rd person mode and if possible without pausing on the PC?

you arn't alone mate!
thats how im playing. I despise pausing the game, i never do it. its a personal preferance but basically i like making decisions on the fly, feeling the intensity of the combat and if i mess up, then i suffer the concequences.

Good example of this, yesterday i was watching my mate start off the game, he steps on a trap "game pause". he sits there considering, oh look a fireball is about to fly into my face.
He clicks off to the side, un-pauses the game and dodges the fireball. Took all of the realism out of the game in an instant for me.

Im also playing in 3rd person on PC because the isometric view doesnt feel right to me in dragon age.

(im interested to hear peoples impressions/comments on this matter further)

EDIT: Forgot to include im playing on Hard to get the most out of it. Taking full friendly fire etc etc.

kathode

Started as a dwarf commoner rogue. In one of the first areas, a guy offers to buy some of your teeth for a couple silver. I told him off, but then decided I wanted to see what happened. Had to reload, only to find out you can't actually sell your teeth to this guy. All the dialog options are dead-ends. Bullshit! I want to sell my teeth! :D

Zzoram

Kodiak said:
game is #1 and #2 on steam...

I wonder how many sales that actually represents

I'm pretty sure top selling games on Steam always end up with a total in the 10s of thousands (ie. 20,000 - 50,000+). Steam may be big, but it's nowhere as big as retail yet. Dragon Age: Origins has had around 13,000 unique concurrent users on in the past 24 hours. Assuming people were not all playing at the same time, that'll translate to 20,000+ sales at least.

Lostconfused said:
Man the difference in difficulty between easy and normal is insane. On normal even the best micro management wont save my entire party being frozen at the same time than hacked to bits. On easy I can just make them run into a room and then go make a sandwich.

LOL. "Hey can you go make me a tuna sandwhich honey?" "Sure sweetie, let me just put my game on easy, it plays itself practically." :lol

Top Bottom