• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

aktham

This game looks really promising (and very long). I will buy it as soon as it goes on sale. I'm too busy with other games at the moment. It looks like a mix between Diablo II and WoW. It's probably what I thought WoW was like before I played it. Is that a pretty good assessment?

FWIW I thought, based on what a friend told me, that WoW was basically Diablo II with different camera angle and an action bar with more buttons. He obviously failed to mention that there's no story which means no ending and lots of pointless grinding with no real story objective.

Swag

Doc Evils said:
Fuck it, I decided I'm buying the PC version. Fuck the console versions up the ASS.

A word of advice, quick save very often you never know when your gonna fuck up and die

Fredescu

aktham said:
This game looks really promising (and very long). I will buy it as soon as it goes on sale. I'm too busy with other games at the moment. It looks like a mix between Diablo II and WoW. It's probably what I thought WoW was like before I played it. Is that a pretty good assessment?
I don't think there are elements of Diablo II really. Imagine playing WoW, but you were always in a four person group and you had to control each party member yourself, and you were able to pause the action to issue commands to each party member. Add to that a hefty dialog tree system, which neither of those games have.

TheFreshPrince

How often are people switching off their main? I find myself giving commands to everyone in my party, but I hate having to leave my main to the AI.

Can you play only your character, or do you need to issue commands to everyone to survive?

Ravager61

aktham said:

FWIW I thought, based on what a friend told me, that WoW was basically Diablo II with different camera angle and an action bar with more buttons. He obviously failed to mention that there's no story which means no ending and lots of pointless grinding with no real story objective.

This game has very little in common with Diablo honestly.

Lime

Just finished my PAL pre-load on Steam. The game should be released by now, but it still isn't playable on Steam. Is there usually a wait after "the stroke of midnight"?

aktham said:

Uhhh, it's not really like Diablo II or WoW. Neither of those are exactly story-driven.

Have you played any Bioware games before?

Firebrand

How's the ruleset of this game, is it easy to understand? I liked how the NWN manual contained the D&D formulas and tables and stuff so you could see what all the little numbers actually did.

TheFreshPrince said:
How often are people switching off their main? I find myself giving commands to everyone in my party, but I hate having to leave my main to the AI.

Can you play only your character, or do you need to issue commands to everyone to survive?

On the nightmare difficulty setting...ALL the time.

micromanaging FTW

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys have turned me into a mildly interested person with it waiting at home in his mailbox into a frothing madman, ready to barrel down the highway at dangerous speed in order to open my package, and then get the mail and put the game in.

GRARGH I'm excited. :lol

Jinjo

Cday said:
Am I supposed to be a specific level for this part? It just seems impossible.

After a few attempts I beat this on easy. Wait on the hill and gang up on them one by one. But yeah, this game is hard. After that encounter I thought: oke back to normal you go, but now I get raped constantly at the part
inside the castle

This game is not easy. I have no idea what the hell I am doing wrong too. My characters die so fast.:lol

eznark

Banned
Someone asked before about the first Dragon Age book, Stolen Throne, and how much it tied in. I'm just out of my origin story so I have no idea how big a part he plays in the game but Loghain is a key character in the book.

Zzoram

I made a dwarf castless warrior specializing in 2handed weapons. Wow is the game hard with that setup. I died
trying to escape from prison without even killing 1 of the thugs

I've started a human noble rogue but I'm having a hard time being a jerk because everyone around me is so honourable. I might have to try all the origins before I find one that I can play further.

Lime said:
Just finished my PAL pre-load on Steam. The game should be released by now, but it still isn't playable on Steam. Is there usually a wait after "the stroke of midnight"?

are you in the UK? its not out until friday here

bengraven

You know, I've bitched at length about how hot Morrigan is in the concept art and CGI.

Speaking of which, here's another great example of a fantastic character made dull by in-game:

LelianaCGI2.png

Screens-preview-4.jpg

bengraven said:
You know, I've bitched at length about how hot Morrigan is in the concept art and CGI.

Speaking of which, here's another great example of a fantastic character made dull by in-game:

LelianaCGI2.png

Screens-preview-4.jpg
Motherfucker. Morrigan has been really disappointing after the high bar Sacred Ashes set. :/

Just bought it and waiting for class to end. This game better be awesome Gaf....The few games I got due to gaf hype have been lackluster ( Tekken 6 , Knights in the Knightmare, and Persona psp...) or OMG AWESOME (Uncharted 2)

here's hoping to atleast in between..

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Man, Morrigan is hard to read! Usually I can predict pretty easily what to say to a NPC to get them to like me, but I don't know... Morrigan is a bit hard! Maybe because I usually avoid the bad-girl character in these sorts of games. In fact I just got whats-her-face, the chick with the french accent, she's a bit of a goody two shoes, and I can read her pretty easily.

Anyway, I really am enjoying this game a lot, I already had an opportunity to mack Morrigan, but something is making me hold back, I don't know if she's the lady for me - but that french girl is a tad bit annoying. And all of a sudden I feel very disturbed for talking about game characters like they are real people.

Jinjo

bengraven said:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonage/images/e/e3/LelianaCGI2.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonage/images/a/a9/Screens-preview-4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I said the exact same thing a few pages back. It's a shame really. But while Morrigan still looks pretty nice ingame they absolutely missed it with Leliana.

Let's hope mods will fix up this unfortunate incident in designing the ingame models.

[QUOTE]I didn't even know those two were the same character, I was expecting to meet up with her later on in the game :lol [/QUOTE]

This too! After watching the trailer again I slowly began to realize she was my beloved rogue character and I had to make do with her. :lol

bengraven

Odious Tea said:
That one and this one. I just rewatched it and Leliana (sp?) was kind of a missed opportunity as well. I'm thoroughly enjoying everything about this game except the lackluster modeling/animations. Oh, well. The price we must pay.

Bioware fucked up somewhere between exhibit A and exhibit B.

I blame the missing hoodie.

morrigan3.jpg

Is there any way to get the Blood Armor back? Either mine was sold (no way) or it fucking disappeared on me (very likely) and I can't find it anywhere.

This game is going to get some eventual GAF backlash and it probably will deserve some of it. preface: 12 hours in, level 10, 360 version. Really addictive and fun WITH caveats.

This game is glitchy, anecdotes: game takes a minute or two to recognize if an enemy died (and to let you move on), enemies continue to attack while I am in pause screen, Golem
door break
completely inconsistent (game doesn't even tell you how to do this either), can't open doors while enemies near (yet enemies are through the fucking door), etc.

The Fade areas in this game are atriciously designed. I'm sorry but
fighting a demon, walking through portal ad nauseum isn't fun
. The
shape-shifting
was enjoyable enough but the cheap fucking deaths
walking through a door only to run right into fire and die
were obnoxious.

Speaking to cheap deaths, this game has some of the worst difficulty spikes since.. well Mass Effect. How can I destroy bosses with ease only to get plowed over by a random encounter in the overworld? Weak. Similarly, why the fuck can't I buy more potions? There really needs to be more shop-keepers strewn around. This may be a flaw pertaining more to the 360 version but the battles don't feel very tactical. Again, partially due to the fact that going through radial menus in a hectic fight is like pulling teeth but it usually ends up coming down to tactics.

Finally, the graphics. The game can look downright butt-ugly on 360; mediocre textures, textbook creature design, boring dreary environment, complete lack of spirit/soul/je-ne-sais-quoi'. Oblivion wasn't a gorgeous game by any means: but there was an abundance of landscape variety in that game. Dragon Age Origins feels pretty empty a lot of time. The lack of a real overworld is probably part in parcel to that.

I have to say though I am still enjoying the game a lot.. my expectations were probably too high. P.S. the audio (voice-acting, music, sound effects) in this game are fantastic. My favorite part of the game so far is probably the crew chatter; one existence in particular:
Morrigan letting us know she's an atheist
. Between that and the Chloe UC2 voice connect, she will be the first one my character sleeps with.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
FuttBuck said:
Is there any way to get the Blood Armor back? Either mine was sold (no way) or it fucking disappeared on me (very likely) and I can't find it anywhere.

if you sold it, you can buy it back from that vendor. If you destroyed it... well I'm sorry for your loss.

Ploid 3.0

Kinitari said:
Man, Morrigan is hard to read! Usually I can predict pretty easily what to say to a NPC to get them to like me, but I don't know... Morrigan is a bit hard! Maybe because I usually avoid the bad-girl character in these sorts of games. In fact I just got whats-her-face, the chick with the french accent, she's a bit of a goody two shoes, and I can read her pretty easily.

Anyway, I really am enjoying this game a lot, I already had an opportunity to mack Morrigan, but something is making me hold back, I don't know if she's the lady for me - but that french girl is a tad bit annoying. And all of a sudden I feel very disturbed for talking about game characters like they are real people.

lol I was wondering.

bengraven

You're nuts DevelopmentArrested.

While yes, some areas have that Oblivion-brown taste, Biowares games have always had a really great art design, even the console RPGs like KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect.

This game is no exception. The buildings look like they are from paintings; just in the area my character is in (the elf starting area), the buildings have a leaning, almost fairy tale appearance despite their brown.

I love how this game looks.

EXCEPT MORRIGAN AND LEILANA.

I'll be so glad for those two to have mods before my second playthrough.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I must have screwed something up with the dlc codes, I redeemed them on the website but didn't know where to go from there and I couldn't redeem them from the download content part of the actual games menu. I was getting pissed, so I moved on, I guess that glass rock guy will never be in my party.
Anyways...the game seems good so far, really deep, it'll probably take me awhile to get a handle on how everything works. I'm just getting started, but I'm really impressed that they made all of these different origin stories, it makes your character feel unique. I started to play as a wood elf, but my character turned out kind of retarded looking so I restarted as a human warrior. I can't wait to get back to it. :D I

DevelopmentArrested, sorry if you've mentioned and I missed it, but have you installed to the hard drive?

I had a lot of the same glitches and issues you mentioned before I installed (at one point a full freeze that forced me to restart the 360), but I haven't noticed nearly any since.

is anyone else with the 360 version having trouble with installing the game on the harddrive? mine gets to around 68% and restarts the console. i can't figure it out.

Ember128

Goddamn Morrigan is Finicky. I'll gift her a fucking
tangled ball of yarn
since she has such
claws.

Great foil to work off the other main first guy you have with you though.

Ploid 3.0

Snuggler said:
I must have screwed something up with the dlc codes, I redeemed them on the website but didn't know where to go from there and I couldn't redeem them from the download content part of the actual games menu. I was getting pissed, so I moved on, I guess that glass rock guy will never be in my party.
Anyways...the game seems good so far, really deep, it'll probably take me awhile to get a handle on how everything works. I'm just getting started, but I'm really impressed that they made all of these different origin stories, it makes your character feel unique. I started to play as a wood elf, but my character turned out kind of retarded looking so I restarted as a human warrior. I can't wait to get back to it. :D I

Is your EA account tied to your XBLA or PSN account? I just got my game, entered the codes on bioware site using my ea account, then I entered a name for bioware's site to use on their forums. My ea account was already tied to my PSN account, so when I went back to the game it already had those things I unlocked in the download section.

Get your XBL PSN account tied to the ea + Bioware account.

Balya

I might be fucking up the intended experience a bit by being such a dick with the character creator but I don't care:

2eow8s3.jpg

Alex

Balya said:
I might be fucking up the intended experience a bit by being such a dick with the character creator but I don't care:

2eow8s3.jpg

I hope you picked the sultry voice option

Zod the Bear said:
DevelopmentArrested, sorry if you've mentioned and I missed it, but have you installed to the hard drive?

I had a lot of the same glitches and issues you mentioned before I installed (at one point a full freeze that forced me to restart the 360), but I haven't noticed nearly any since.
i have installed to hdd. the glitches and issues persist but loading times have been dramatically cut down on

Balya said:

2eow8s3.jpg

That is just how I pictured Brienne of Tarth from A Song of Fire and Ice. Good fucking job, man.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ploid 3.0 said:
Is your EA account tied to your XBLA or PSN account? I just got my game, entered the codes on bioware site using my ea account, then I entered a name for bioware's site to use on their forums. My ea account was already tied to my PSN account, so when I went back to the game it already had those things I unlocked in the download section.

Get your XBL PSN account tied to the ea + Bioware account.

I thought the EA account was tied to my PS3, I had an existing account that I could log into and I thought it was the same thing I used for Burnout on PS3. This is way too complicated, I should have had the Geek Squad come over to my house and install this shit for me.

Edit: I redeemed the content on the email I now use with my PS3, but the EA account tied to my PSN ID is on my old email from several months ago. So, unless I can remove my PSN ID from my old email and add it to my current, there isn't much I can do.

I blew it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Loved the human mage origin story. I love "academies" and that type of environment. Also the ending was awesome :lol

Top Bottom