• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Hands-On Previews

nicoGec

The press played 6-7 hours of the game:

One of the previewers said it has pacing of typical Bioware title of the old. Sounds cool.

Apparently combat is too action focused which is a bummer.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I couldn't care less what these previews say. If you watch the footage, it's clear the battle system is at least potentially pretty awesome. More than enough reason to play it on GP in a year.

I have zero expectations for the story or cast of characters. They all look like losers, and I haven't cared about Dragon Age since part 1.

CuckMeister

Neo Member
This dude doesn't mince words. Should be a good watch. He triggered the fuck outta me when he shat on Starfield last year, I ended up unsubbing (lol), but he ended up being right.

Let's keep this thread positive btw

You dont seem to remember that he gave glowing praise in the preview and the next day when the game released, he did a 180 and shat on it, like he does with any other game. . This guy is the biggest parasite around and has a history of stealing reviews from other people.

The IGN preview might be the worst preview for a game I’ve ever read. She spent about 75% of it gushing about the character creator and then basically said, “oh yeah I’m hyped for the rest of the game too”. WTF are people that obsessed with creating characters?

Last edited:

Kacho

You dont seem to remember that he gave glowing praise in the preview and the next day when the game released, he did a 180 and shat on it, like he does with any other game. . This guy is the biggest parasite around and has a history of stealing reviews from other people.
Is that how it went down? Damn. I only remember him ripping the game to shreds. I stand corrected if he is as you describe. I don’t pay close attention to him in general.

Edit: yep, he’s pretty positive about the game. Let’s see if he does a 180 at launch.

Anyway, #feels

Last edited:

stn

All I want to hear is that the story is properly done and not some Marvel heroes bullshit. I'm already worried because the characters seem to look more "comedic" and the overall tone doesn't appear gritty. Still, I am hoping to be proven wrong because I love the franchise overall.

I dunno, at times, when I look at the combat, I kinda like it, and outside of Qunari, the females look pretty good, but everything looks so fucking CLEAN and BLOOMish. I hate it but sadly I think Ill be day one on it because I really like Solas and Varrric and I want to see the end of the story.

GymWolf

Gold Member
From technical perspective BioWare would really need to screw up. From everything else, sure.
I played the game at launch on pc for 82 hours and i had way less bugs than your average ubisoft\bethesda game by far, so even if i know it was broken, my experience was mostly good.

I got stuck inside the geometry of the level 3 times in outlaws and had to repeat large chunks of missions, never happened to me in cyberpunk.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's going to get recalled 10X from Sony? :)
Maybe, i played the vastly superior pc version so i didn't had the same problems.

But i was actually talking about the game more than the bugs.

Although bioware last games were anthem and andromeda that were trash at launch, so there is hope for veilguard...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I love watching everyone here trick themselves into thinking this will be good

Keep it coming

eating popcorn GIF

Kacho

Previews are very positive for the most part.

Looks like crow is on the menu for many here.

Aside from the folks doubling down for whatever reason 🤡
I'm happy to eat crow. The game looks way better in these previews. The combat isn't the greatest but it looks dynamic enough to be engaging. Companions have equipment slots and instead of leveling their power, you level up your relationships with them. This unlocks new abilities to use (and I assume sex). Good change IMO.

StereoVsn

I played the game at launch on pc for 82 hours and i had way less bugs than your average ubisoft\bethesda game by far, so even if i know it was broken, my experience was mostly good.

I got stuck inside the geometry of the level 3 times in outlaws and had to repeat large chunks of missions, never happened to me in cyberpunk.
Well, hopefully Ubi will learn some sort of a lesson. Chances are very small, but hey.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm happy to eat crow. The game looks way better in these previews. The combat isn't the greatest but it looks dynamic enough to be engaging. Companions have equipment slots and instead of leveling their power, you level up your relationships with them. This unlocks new abilities to use (and I assume sex). Good change IMO.
Yeah the combat looks decent TBH. But my biggest concern since day 1 has been the writing, characters, and story. Especially after that god awful reveal trailer. I’m still in “wait and see” mode for this one.

dmaul1114

Looking foward to this for sure. Liked all of the first 3 to varying degrees, and am generally just sucker for games with dialogue options, choice that have impacts on character relationships and quest line outcomes etc. Don't care if the combat is meh as the story and characters are the draw of these kind of games for me.

Strategize

Skill Up comparing the combat to God of War. Kinda makes me wanna try it, even though I've never played a Dragon Age before.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is that how it went down? Damn. I only remember him ripping the game to shreds. I stand corrected if he is as you describe. I don’t pay close attention to him in general.

Edit: yep, he’s pretty positive about the game. Let’s see if he does a 180 at launch.

Anyway, #feels

I can't fully put into words how much I loathe the millennial adult children vibe.

"This was VERY important to me: you can pet the dog, as many times as you wantl! Yaaaay"

"Be sure to say hello and play rock-paper-scissors with the nice mister skeleton"

It's just an animation. What the fuck are you talking about. What happened in your life

Last edited:

Metnut

Looks pretty promising. I certainly won’t be in on day 1 given BioWare’s previous disasters, but def going to take a close look at how the larger group of impressions after release.

Will be hilarious to see people’s heads explode here if the games ends up being really good.

Top Bottom