• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard - IGN Hands-On Preview

nicoGec

In short, a lot's changed in Dragon Age: The Veilguard, but there was so much I was relieved to see stay: the focus on companions and romance, the rich lore, and a gorgeous world to explore. Needless to say, there's still a ton of The Veilguard that I haven't seen, especially if it's as big as Origins and Inquisition (and it certainly seems like it). But after finishing my preview, I found myself even more eager to dive into it – and much more hopeful that this could be the hit BioWare needs.

Kacho

Gold Member
Every time a video or tweet about Dragon Age is posted I see the most bizarre comments. I legitimately can't tell if they're bots, astroturfers or actual people.

2NsInQb.png

asb7Epm.png

WkdxUYi.png

ExOwPpt.png

Where two men fuck each other and hate beaver
Gay sex isn't woke sex but that was a funny line lol. I think woke would be more like two purple haired people with multiple facial piercings, one with a penis but identifies as a woman and one with a vagina who identifies as nonbinary pansexual but only has sex with people who have a penis getting together.

As far as "woke romances" every modern RPG with romance options allows for same sex romances and have had for a long time so I don't see any issue at all, there are a lot of gay gamers out there and giving people the option to romance who they want in an RPG is fine IMO.

What I'm not in favor of is the identity stuff simply because there has to be some cut off point so things don't get so muddled, non binary isn't a real thing anyway and if someone wants to create a character who's a different gender than they are that's already in the game so they don't need to get much more specific that that IMO.

PeteBull

Gold Member
I want the game to be good but it looks like it was made by women for women, so very offputing. There is a reason women loved barbie movie while us- guys didnt give a damn, and chose oppenheimer instead.
I simply dont see that usual testosterone increasing features that all games who target guys got.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm looking forward to it for the conclusion of the Solas story arc.

I really hope they don't end it in another cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I actually think the game is looking pretty damn good based on this new preview so far. The girl playing it did a really good job showcasing and explaining her experience with it.

nowhat

Wtf is with the obsession of petting animals in games?
I'm not going to try to explain it. But on a personal note, playing Ghost of Tsushima, I was really annoyed that the fox would sometimes leave immediately after leading you to a shrine, before you had the time to pet it. Thankfully they rectified this in the expansion.

...and yes, I'm not going to try to explain it.

stn

I pre-ordered but I'm still not 100% sold. My concern with this game has been the story and dialogue. If I see that its a Marvel-type heroes game with bad humor and all kinds of modern-day politics thrown in, I will cancel.

winjer

Gold Member
Ign 7-10 Typical 7 game. Can see it from a mile.

Seems like some ad deal is on it too. 😂

This sadly looks just not good at all. Art style is terrible. Rpg where??

dragon age was dark fantasy this looks like s chinese mobile game. I dont get it.

I agree with you. This looks average at best.
But I bet some sites will give it extra credits for those extra pronouns.

nowhat

Just actually now watching the video (or rather, listening to it while doing other stuff, but looking at the screen every now and then). 10:22 - that's Morrigan?

Y-GiPVtRzP-23sc5eVsqNmEpLsGl4inq1nrDd4szZKn2nvJGV7xEQ9LvfydnuRZfPDJM8_1PmH6OIuf5yxS0JAnmwAxCSVl2JtIJUP9m3DBWugSEGGChwO1VmBkRfeuW53L886G3pKfC0YHe1YS7daPvFczH

Seriously. I get that having the same armor fit a bunch of different body types/sizes can be challenging (as a trivia, this is why Sten in Origins didn't have horns, making a separate model for all the helmets would have been too much work), but what's that floating thingamagic in front of her face. It's not certainly being held there by any physical means.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man something about the aesthetic of this game is just so off-putting to me. The older games were dark and brutal.

This one looks like some 2024 Marvel/Disney movie with overdone CGI. Too cartoony and with that hideous purple color scheme and the over designed outfits.

And wowee you can pet the cats and play rock/paper/scissors with the skeleton. That kind of thing used to be some fun little detail the devs added so you could experience a tiny bit of joy when you discover it for yourself. But you know BioWare was like “MAKE SURE THE PREVIEWS AND OUR ASTROTURF MARKETING BOTS TALK ABOUT THE CATS, gen Z loves that shit!!”

Eszti

Banned
I agree with you. This looks average at best.
But I bet some sites will give it extra credits for those extra pronouns.
i smell a flop tbh. and its not hard to tell which games flop but not as worse than recent titles i think it will be a good 20 buck game down the line :)

Luipadre

Gold Member
i smell a flop tbh. and its not hard to tell which games flop but not as worse than recent titles i think it will be a good 20 buck game down the line :)
Nah this one wont flop. Some hate the art or the ui, but overall it doesnt look terrible and the Dragon Age name is still popular

Eszti

Banned
Nah this one wont flop. Some hate the art or the ui, but overall it doesnt look terrible and the Dragon Age name is still popular
well what is a flop? it can do well and still not meet expectations. but i dont think it will be a hit either. bioware is long gone. look at the directors X profile. its all i need to know for me personaly.

Luipadre

Gold Member
well what is a flop? it can do well and still not meet expectations. but i dont think it will be a hit either. bioware is long gone. look at the directors X profile. its all i need to know for me personaly.
Well if they expect it to sell over 10 million in the first 2 weeks then it will definitely be a "flop". Knowing EA they have big expectations so you are right but it wont be a catastrophic launch like concord or dustborn or any of those games

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
dragon age is a big name. we will see, i still wish anyone who is interested in this that its good. fun is all that matters. :)

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not going to try to explain it. But on a personal note, playing Ghost of Tsushima, I was really annoyed that the fox would sometimes leave immediately after leading you to a shrine, before you had the time to pet it. Thankfully they rectified this in the expansion.

...and yes, I'm not going to try to explain it.
I want to pet the fox in chap 5 of wukong so bad.

Top Bottom