• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure there's something beyond the tournament going on too, yeah. That being said, U7 having it so easy reminds me strongly of the Otherworld Tournament filler where Goku had a trivial time all the way up to Pikkon. I guess it's just typical Toei at this point to play up the protagonists this hard.

I didn't say I expected that. What I would have liked would have been for them to play up other universes' abilities by showing them getting a bunch of knockouts instead of U7 taking them all. They started strong with U9 getting a surprising amount of attention and then ruined everything as soon as U7 became the focus.

U7 is the villain group of this story at this point. Straight-up. I can't root for them anymore.

Exactly.
I'm telling you guys, U7 is the Team Toguro of the tournament.

I think even Cartoon is a little Lost, nobody knew It would re-start only looking at the schedule to know that, then there's they Changed from 4 episodes to 5 on saturday.

Btw i Checked on Cartoon website the sixth episode is scheduled for monday, and there's no dragon ball on saturday on the schedule.
So weird :/ Someone posted this on Twitter but it's a fanpage so it's probably not legit
DGrNs3SUAAIl1-o.jpg:large
Indeed

Edit: i see Regular Show ended.
I'm not sure if it has reached its end over here in LatAm but I was sad to hear it :(

Omni

Still expecting the tournament to be interrupted somehow

I dunno. There's been too many episodes of build-up and the actual tournament at this point. Plus yanno, a universe has already been wiped out

If U7 wins, I can see them wishing back U6 though. Maybe not the others

I dunno. There's been too many episodes of build-up and the actual tournament at this point. Plus yanno, a universe has already been wiped out

That would be such a Goku thing to do :D McDonalds eyes "Those saiyans were awesome, how about we wish the universes back and start with 6!"...Gohan: "Dad why don't you wish all...." "We wish back Universe 6 and Kaio! Hah finally I thought of him..."

Skeeter49

No one will miss Universe 9

Basil is the only loss.

Sony

Nintendo
Look, I used to trash this show on a regular basis but it's pretty good now that they brought more of the interesting characters into the mix.

Incidentally releasing a decent episode doesn't make it good. Also, looking at the discussion on last page about the parallels between Super and AF, I was right that Super seems like bad fan fiction and called it AF sometimes.

So weird :/ Someone posted this on Twitter but it's a fanpage so it's probably not legit

I'm not sure if it has reached its end over here in LatAm but I was sad to hear it :(

Yea i haven't watched regular show on CN LatAm in a while so i'm also not sure if they have reached that point.

The most i remember was them getting and showing the full length movie.

Also the end was already mentioned by the creators but i didn't know it already happened plus as much as i would like to see them continuing with more Rigby growth i can respect them for wanting to finish the story.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Incidentally releasing a decent episode doesn't make it good. Also, looking at the discussion on last page about the parallels between Super and AF, I was right that Super seems like bad fan fiction and called it AF sometimes.

But it takes place right after GT so you should love it.

Slaythe

Incidentally ? Not quite.

The entire arc has been revolving about more than just a handful of characters. The character dialogues have all been on point, and while some characters got trashed ( hi tien ), others got finally the shine they deserved ( Gohan 17 ). Having a cast that's relevant and not just Goku and Vegeta is extremely refreshing.

Outside of Goku who's insufferable, the characters' growth has been a joy to witness overall.

You keep pretending like nothing changed from day 1, visually, ost, characters etc... and it's aggravating.

It currently tries to appeal to a wide variety of people, just not at once, every episode.

We're mature enough to be critical of an episode we dislike and move on, looking forward to what's next. Obviously we have favorite characters and that tends to greatly contribute to one's enjoyment.

You on the other hand keep shitting on this show left and right relentlessly, so I have to ask why you're wasting your time with it ? And why you're wasting ours.

Sony

Nintendo
Incidentally ? Not quite.

The entire arc has been revolving about more than just a handful of characters. The character dialogues have all been on point, and while some characters got trashed ( hi tien ), others got finally the shine they deserved ( Gohan 17 ). Having a cast that's relevant and not just Goku and Vegeta is extremely refreshing.

I wasn't talking about incidental spotlight for supporting characters, I won't dispute that a lot of side characters get shine. I was talking about the incidental good episode. Ep 102 was good, 101 was meh, 100 was ugh... There is an upward trend I guess?

Outside of Goku who's insufferable, the characters' growth has been a joy to witness overall.

You keep pretending like nothing changed from day 1, visually, ost, characters etc... and it's aggravating.

No I'm not. I keep saying that BoG is bad, RoF is an insult, U6 v U7 is OK, Zamasu Arc is wasted potential. ToP is ongoing but it very hit and miss. Especially the art and and animation style (not quality, style) is horrible.

It currently tries to appeal to a wide variety of people, just not at once, every episode.

I don't think I've ever said "episode X focused too much on Y". I'm critical of the quality, execution and lore of Super.

We're mature enough to be critical of an episode we dislike and move on, looking forward to what's next. Obviously we have favorite characters and that tends to greatly contribute to one's enjoyment.

You on the other hand keep shitting on this show left and right relentlessly, so I have to ask why you're wasting your time with it ? And why you're wasting ours.

First of all, you're only wasting your time if you choose to read my posts and choose to reply, you don't have to.
Second, as you know, I started watching Super (only seen Battle of Gods by then) when it was at the beginning of ToP arc. As you know, I simply refused to watch Super based on the disappointmeny that was BoG: Asspull power ups and a new fanfiction level form. I simply love Dragonball too much too pass up on it. I will gladly go though 15 shit episode to see 1 good one. I call it the Walking Dead syndrome you're still hoping for the show to get good after being disappointed time after time.

Another reason why ventilating in this thread is because the quality standard around here seems so low. If people accept this quality standard, what does it mean for the future of DB? No, I'm not here to say to someone that enjoys Super that they shouldn't enjoy Super.

DBS is earning them a lot and it's a continuation of one of the most popular animes in the west and the east. Why don't they give this show the quality it deserves, why do they fuck up the lore so bad etc.

At the end of the day, this is my opinion and you can simply choose to ignore it, quite literally by putting me on your ignore list. But I won't tone down my critism of Super or set my bar low. They're taking the bad parts of Z and GT and outdoing it in badness.

LotusHD

Banned
Another reason why ventilating in this thread is because the quality standard around here seems so low. If people accept this quality standard, what does it mean for the future of DB? No, I'm not here to say to someone that enjoys Super that they shouldn't enjoy Super.

DBS is earning them a lot and it's a continuation of one of the most popular animes in the west and the east. Why don't they give this show the quality it deserves, why do they fuck up the lore so bad etc.

At the end of the day, this is my opinion and you can simply choose to ignore it, quite literally by putting me on your ignore list. But I won't tone down my critism of Super or set my bar low. They're taking the bad parts of Z and GT and outdoing it in badness.

Wait, we could've changed the quality standard? All this time?

Slaythe

I wasn't talking about incidental spotlight for supporting characters, I won't dispute that a lot of side characters get shine. I was talking about the incidental good episode. Ep 102 was good, 101 was meh, 100 was ugh... There is an upward trend I guess?

This arc started on episode 77, the vast majority of episodes were good. There's only a handful of iffy episodes. Character development and interaction as well as world building absolutely count, wonky power levels thrown in the middle of it or not.

As for the current episodes, you've seen that every week pleases different people on this very forum, this arc is meant to be long, only 10 minutes have passed.
Personally I can easily accept the episodes I hated (100, looking at you) because I see it as part of a whole where lots of new things are happening. If the entire thing ends up being bad I'll look bad with a negative opinion on it, but right now I'd rather stay optimistic because they have done a lot of great things.
Starting with this week (102) we're getting a more serious vibe, with 17 not messing around and Gohan going all out despite his moral dilemma.
The first few episodes were an appetizer, not the main dish. And I'm not implying they were bad, I only think two of those were "bad".

No I'm not.

Ok, stop. You are, and you literally just did it in this post, which I'll get to shortly below.

I keep saying that BoG is bad, RoF is an insult, U6 v U7 is OK, Zamasu Arc is wasted potential. ToP is ongoing but it very hit and miss. Especially the art and and animation style (not quality, style) is horrible.

But disliking the style certainly does not grant a right to call it shit and horrible ?

This is horrible

tumblr_o0qhoneJTv1ro9t5eo2_1280.jpg

This is a style you dislike, but it's certainly not horrible or "shit"

Vice versa, a style you like with horrible drawing

4942900-0596720768-tumbl.jpg

When you're calling it shit you imply no effort went into it, which isn't really fair. Sometimes there are such "shit" moments and they have to be called out (and we're not waiting for you to do that), but otherwise it'd be cool if you could at least moderate your disdain for the artstyle when the artists put in decent work.

I don't think I've ever said "episode X focused too much on Y". I'm critical of the quality, execution and lore of Super.

The only thing I'll concede is power levels (which lead to many sidelined characters being relevant, so to me, while not a perfect solution, it was worth it). The world building has been fairly interesting and all the characters interaction have been gold. Everyone has had something to do or say that was either funny or meaningful, and it's been great. Visually we've also had a lot of good moments. Episode 86 had an insane art direction with incredible color work and detail for the wild life / water, Krilin vs Goku, and many others... Those were rather high quality in terms of production values (whether you like the style or not).

First of all, you're only wasting your time if you choose to read my posts and choose to reply, you don't have to.

You seemed like a funny and cool guy, I wasn't gonna ignore you because you prefer DBGT over DBS or because I don't agree with you. That'd be pretty petty.

Second, as you know, I started watching Super (only seen Battle of Gods by then) when it was at the beginning of ToP arc. As you know, I simply refused to watch Super based on the disappointmeny that was BoG: Asspull power ups and a new fanfiction level form. I simply love Dragonball too much too pass up on it. I will gladly go though 15 shit episode to see 1 good one. I call it the Walking Dead syndrome you're still hoping for the show to get good after being disappointed time after time.

Stop with the fan fiction argument already, literally anything from the original manga could also be "fan fiction" level, so where do you draw the line exactly ?

You love Dragon Ball too much ? Yet can't find any redeeming quality in Super and hate 14 episodes out of 15 while watching. I'm not sure how that works but sure.

You think DBGT is better, I'm not gonna go back on that topic (so don't misread me, I'm not asking for a comparison), but out of curiosity, do you actually love GT ?

Ok I'm gonna say this once, you are free to dislike or like what you want, and we can debate over it, I'm not a fan of constant negativity, it's a bit saddening, but so be it.

What I won't tolerate, is the whole obnoxious "oh my standards are so much better than those of the people that like what I dislike". This is pretentious on far too many levels to lead to any kind of healthy discussion, so I seriously hope you're gonna tone that shit down. Or the "funny cool" aspect of yours is going to be completely overshadowed by the jerk aspect. Looking down on people because they have different taste than you ? You're better than this. (I hope)

On top of that, how blind do you have to be to state something like that ? We've all been pretty critical and vocal about many issues the show has had, so stop pretending like this place is a fanboy lair where it's only allowed to think Super is flawless.

Everybody, EVERYBODY in this thread, has been super vocal about Super's quality ever since it started.

And the show has tremendously improved on every level (OST, visuals, cast use, story board, etc...). You haven't watched it so can't notice it... Cool, how is that our fault or the show's fault though ? The longer the show goes on the better the production will be, as staff gets more used to the license, and has more time to polish episodes.

It started with almost no pre production, and then had a one piece special airing that basically murdered its staff, so things used to be way more rough. It's been continuously improving.

Super has millions of fans and allowed the DB licence to make more money than ever, so the future is rather bright. It only goes up from here.

That's gonna be up to you. If you want to have healthy and mature discussions, I'd be glad to exchange with you. Kind of saddens me to see a so called "big db fan" hate everything on this show, that sure has flaws, but also, for many people, a lot qualities and fun to get out of it. I'm also sure you would have been enjoying it more if you had seen in what state this series launched, and how far it had come :p .
Maybe it's also because some time to get used to it is needed.
Hopefully you'll warm up to it. You're already seeing the 17 light.

I usually enjoyed interacting with you.

That being said, try that "oh my standards are so much better than yours, but you're free to like eating shit dude !" thing again, and I just might take your advice.

No I'm not. I keep saying that BoG is bad, RoF is an insult, U6 v U7 is OK, Zamasu Arc is wasted potential. ToP is ongoing but it very hit and miss. Especially the art and and animation style (not quality, style) is horrible.

Well, I think GT is worse, but the quality of DBS is far below Z. It's not even close. It's not just one thing, it's several poorly execute ideas. I like how other characters are now becoming relevant. Some of my issues:

1) More powerups, more SSJ levels, each one underwhelming compared to the predecessors. SSJ and SSJ2 transformation s were epic. The focus should be on new techniques which we haven't seen new moves from many characters since the Cell Saga.

2) No iconic villans. Black is a rehash- evil Goku was done before as Goku Ginyu. Yamatsu is a palette swap. Jiren looks generic as heck. Golden Frieza is about the best this and he's a Z villain.

3) Poorly conceived character designs. A giant teddy bear, wolf-men as serious fighters?

4) Bad animation.

5) Rehashed ideas- another tournament? How many tournament arcs will there be? A Brolly clone? More supersaiyans? More saiyans ? Please stop. Buu saga looks tame compared to this

6) Power levels off. No explanation needed.

Sony

Nintendo
This arc started on episode 77, the vast majority of episodes were good. There's only a handful of iffy episodes. Character development and interaction as well as world building absolutely count, wonky power levels thrown in the middle of it or not.

As for the current episodes, you've seen that every week pleases different people on this very forum, this arc is meant to be long, only 10 minutes have passed.
Personally I can easily accept the episodes I hated (100, looking at you) because I see it as part of a whole where lots of new things are happening. If the entire thing ends up being bad I'll look bad with a negative opinion on it, but right now I'd rather stay optimistic because they have done a lot of great things.
Starting with this week (102) we're getting a more serious vibe, with 17 not messing around and Gohan going all out despite his moral dilemma.
The first few episodes were an appetizer, not the main dish. And I'm not implying they were bad, I only think two of those were "bad".

Ok, stop. You are, and you literally just did it in this post, which I'll get to shortly below.

But disliking the style certainly does not grant a right to call it shit and horrible ?

This is horrible

tumblr_o0qhoneJTv1ro9t5eo2_1280.jpg

This is a style you dislike, but it's certainly not horrible or "shit"

Vice versa, a style you like with horrible drawing

4942900-0596720768-tumbl.jpg

When you're calling it shit you imply no effort went into it, which isn't really fair. Sometimes there are such "shit" moments and they have to be called out (and we're not waiting for you to do that), but otherwise it'd be cool if you could at least moderate your disdain for the artstyle when the artists put in decent work.

The only thing I'll concede is power levels (which lead to many sidelined characters being relevant, so to me, while not a perfect solution, it was worth it). The world building has been fairly interesting and all the characters interaction have been gold. Everyone has had something to do or say that was either funny or meaningful, and it's been great. Visually we've also had a lot of good moments. Episode 86 had an insane art direction with incredible color work and detail for the wild life / water, Krilin vs Goku, and many others... Those were rather high quality in terms of production values (whether you like the style or not).

You seemed like a funny and cool guy, I wasn't gonna ignore you because you prefer DBGT over DBS or because I don't agree with you. That'd be pretty petty.

Stop with the fan fiction argument already, literally anything from the original manga could also be "fan fiction" level, so where do you draw the line exactly ?

You love Dragon Ball too much ? Yet can't find any redeeming quality in Super and hate 14 episodes out of 15 while watching. I'm not sure how that works but sure.

You think DBGT is better, I'm not gonna go back on that topic (so don't misread me, I'm not asking for a comparison), but out of curiosity, do you actually love GT ?

Ok I'm gonna say this once, you are free to dislike or like what you want, and we can debate over it, I'm not a fan of constant negativity, it's a bit saddening, but so be it.

What I won't tolerate, is the whole obnoxious "oh my standards are so much better than those of the people that like what I dislike". This is pretentious on far too many levels to lead to any kind of healthy discussion, so I seriously hope you're gonna tone that shit down. Or the "funny cool" aspect of yours is going to be completely overshadowed by the jerk aspect. Looking down on people because they have different taste than you ? You're better than this. (I hope)

On top of that, how blind do you have to be to state something like that ? We've all been pretty critical and vocal about many issues the show has had, so stop pretending like this place is a fanboy lair where it's only allowed to think Super is flawless.

Everybody, EVERYBODY in this thread, has been super vocal about Super's quality ever since it started.

And the show has tremendously improved on every level (OST, visuals, cast use, story board, etc...). You haven't watched it so can't notice it... Cool, how is that our fault or the show's fault though ? The longer the show goes on the better the production will be, as staff gets more used to the license, and has more time to polish episodes.

It started with almost no pre production, and then had a one piece special airing that basically murdered its staff, so things used to be way more rough. It's been continuously improving.

Super has millions of fans and allowed the DB licence to make more money than ever, so the future is rather bright. It only goes up from here.

That's gonna be up to you. If you want to have healthy and mature discussions, I'd be glad to exchange with you. Kind of saddens me to see a so called "big db fan" hate everything on this show, that sure has flaws, but also, for many people, a lot qualities and fun to get out of it. I'm also sure you would have been enjoying it more if you had seen in what state this series launched, and how far it had come :p .
Maybe it's also because some time to get used to it is needed.
Hopefully you'll warm up to it. You're already seeing the 17 light.

I usually enjoyed interacting with you.

That being said, try that "oh my standards are so much better than yours, but you're free to like eating shit dude !" thing again, and I just might take your advice.

Thanks for the write up, I assume you're not the only one who feels like this reading my shenanigans and I have to admit that yeah I do go too far in the bashing.

However, I don't agree with your notion that I have a "oh my standards are so much better than yours, but you're free to like eating shit dude !".
And I also don't agree with the notion that I'm only stirring Shit in this thread. Maybe my head is too far up my ass to notice otherwise, but if I say so myself, I've written quite some lengthy posts with argue mental discussing the state of Super and how I think it fares against GT. On the other hand, most GT bashers can't seem to write more than "lol GT is shit". Where is the discussion in that? Did you call them out? But I guess GT is finished at we're talking about Super now so I get that gets a pass.

Oh well, at least I can say that I'll tone down the Super trash talk, but not the Super critisism based on content.

To go into some of your questions/remarks:
- I didn't like GT, I liked it.
- I never said I didn't see redeeming qualities in Super and I've been on record praising some of the stuff and those are the same as you mentioned: character interactions, spotlight for supporting cast etc.
- Art-style is more than the way it's drawn and colored. Both Z and GT had badly drawn moments but the art style was consistent. I think I should change the word from art style to presentation. The shaky cam, the ki attacks, it so bad in Super imo. Speaking of presentation, I much preferred the presentation of "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!" to anything Super. The characters look like they're made of wax and they're way too liminous to a point where it annoyed me during the zamasu arc.

IHaveIce

Banned
Toyataro getting the manga/having influence on super was the moment I knew super would stray away from the stuff I like.

His fanmanga was one of the worst things I actually read regarding dragonball.

Even this Multiverse tournament manga (lul) was better, like way better.

Edit: lol people still trying to discuss anything with Slaythe

Supers a 6/10 until I get some meaningful goten and trunks content 🤷🏽*♂️

After all these years I want new generation shine not for goku and vegeta to keep hogging all the powerups

caliph95

Moving on
After seeing U7's kill count I find myself wishing they wouldn't get a single kill for the entire rest of the tournament until they're actually at the bottom of the pile.

Too bad that'll never happen.

Yes, I do wish these things out of spite. I hate seeing winners go unchallenged. I hate even more when they try to sell something as having serious stakes and then suck all the tension out of the events by making the heroes look untouchable.

I'm pretty sure there's something beyond the tournament going on too, yeah. That being said, U7 having it so easy reminds me strongly of the Otherworld Tournament filler where Goku had a trivial time all the way up to Pikkon. I guess it's just typical Toei at this point to play up the protagonists this hard.

I didn't say I expected that. What I would have liked would have been for them to play up other universes' abilities by showing them getting a bunch of knockouts instead of U7 taking them all. They started strong with U9 getting a surprising amount of attention and then ruined everything as soon as U7 became the focus.

U7 is the villain group of this story at this point. Straight-up. I can't root for them anymore.

Exactly.
Too bad you won't get until all the jobbers are gone I've been told apparently。

Part of me wished the stronger like Goku got busy and let weaker members play and brute force their way

Though the last episode was incredibly entertaining only the u9 fights that I really enjoy because it's what I thought the tournament would be

RocknRola

Supers a 6/10 until I get some meaningful goten and trunks content 🤷🏽*♂️

After all these years I want new generation shine not for goku and vegeta to keep hogging all the powerups

Gohan eventually got his! Admittedly, after going through literal hell :p

Still, you gotta believe!

Gohan eventually got his! Admittedly, after going through literal hell :p

Still, you gotta believe!
Goten and trunks can't damage base vegeta when fused and ss3
Got left outta not one but two tournaments
Was told to stay home when freaking tien and roshi was allowed to come
Did nothing when their future selves either
A)suffered a bunch(mention that dumb speech I dare you)
B) literally got killed
is that not literal hell enough. 😩

caliph95

Goten and trunks can't damage base vegeta when fused and ss3
Got left outta not one but two tournaments
Was told to stay home when freaking tien and roshi was allowed to come
Did nothing when their future selves either
A)suffered a bunch(mention that dumb speech I dare you)
B) literally got killed
is that not literal hell enough. 😩
But they're fighting poachers
You gotta believe

I-hate-u

Why are Goku and Vegeta so hesitant to let the kids fight when the same Goku left Buu up to them, and allowed Gohan to fight Cell, nay forced him to?

Why are Goku and Vegeta so hesitant to let the kids fight when the same Goku left Buu up to them, and allowed Gohan to fight Cell, nay forced him to?
Shhh goku has grown better over the years it's called character development he's changed drastically since than

Reasons

caliph95

Gohan to be fair was the only one who could kill him before he went super
Gotenks he thought they could have kill buu with fusion

Both of them fucked around, he doesn't need them

Ingeniero

No need, they are too weak and Geets knows this.
Also now we have better, stronger saiyans to develop. Cauliflower and Cabbage are the future.

You ain't right for bringing this here lmao

No need, they are too weak and Geets knows this.
Also now we have better, stronger saiyans to develop. Cauliflower and Cabbage are the future.
But cabba is looking like the next goten and trunks anyway

Gohan almost got the Earth destroyed twice in the only two times he's been in a position to win a major battle
He's got nothing on gokus record what's your point lol

Yeah this episode was much better than the last few. Next one looks alrght even though we kinda know the outcome due to the nep

I-hate-u

Gohan almost got the Earth destroyed twice in the only two times he's been in a position to win a major battle

You think Goku learned from his mistake and will not have the little kids fight again?

The guy who has been told 123456789 times this series to keep his guard up and still doesn't?

The best thing about this arc is that it's very hard to call how it ends right now.

Goku will fight Jiren at some point but other than that nobody knows.

Goku fighting Jiren is actually the LEAST interesting thing that will happen.

It's a good arc in that regard - it's just also frustrating due to the limitations of a TV animation budget/time/etc to make such a big idea as a battle royale actually work.

The hope has to be for this to lead into a major world-changing event which shakes up the entire show. But I don't think the creators are likely to take that risk.

LNBL

Rewatching the last episode for 3rd time now... FORMATIONNNN

Also, thank god the Dub version is finally starting the U6 vs U7 arc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom