• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

What do you think kamituber Gowasu uses her for

Gotta get those views

Now you know the real reason for Future Zamasu betrayal
WK30Fnn.gif

dci260

I hope so because I was expecting slight differences between U6 and U7 Namekians. I liked the ones that had fins on their heads or something like that.

The Namekian character options in Xenoverse and DBO have generally been pretty ugly, so I'm not terribly surprised that they look so similar... That being said, now we have Broly and Slug, which movie character will get a counterpart next?

Big One

Banned
Hrm question...how would you guys feel if Toriyama took a break from the series and in an attempt to extend the lifespan of the series they end up remaking the three major GT arcs ala Battle of Gods and Resurrection F' style with Toyotaro's supervision? Of course these arcs would be fine-tuned and (hopefully) improved on. I ask because I think this could be a possibility cause Toyotaro loves GT like he loves everything else in Dragonball as evident by his Dragon Ball AF manga (which is a sequel to GT), and if he become the head guy of the franchise story-wise he might do something weird like this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hrm question...how would you guys feel if Toriyama took a break from the series and in an attempt to extend the lifespan of the series they end up remaking the three major GT arcs ala Battle of Gods and Resurrection F' style with Toyotaro's supervision? Of course these arcs would be fine-tuned and (hopefully) improved on.

No. Toyotarou isn't a very good writer.

Big One

Banned
No. Toyotarou isn't a very good writer.
Yeah but he's pretty much going to be given the keys to the kingdom if Toriyama ever leaves, lol. That's a reality we're gonna have to face. And to be honest, Toriyama isn't a very good writer either. Toyotaro just likes to delve more into fanfiction territory since that's where he came from.

I want to believe in Goku and Gohan fusing, and the Ultimate form winning as the fusion form over SSJ.

That idea was always weird. I knew he was desperate, but I did look at Goku differently when he was willing to PERMANENTLY fuse with his son to fight Super Buu.

That fan-fiction has probably existed for years. Ugh.

I want SSJ4 (will take it under a different name) and Gogeta in Super. Hell, I need them in Super. Also really want to see some Saiyans in their giant ape forms. If there is any justice :p in this world, the anime gods will make it happen.

Skii

Hrm question...how would you guys feel if Toriyama took a break from the series and in an attempt to extend the lifespan of the series they end up remaking the three major GT arcs ala Battle of Gods and Resurrection F' style with Toyotaro's supervision? Of course these arcs would be fine-tuned and (hopefully) improved on. I ask because I think this could be a possibility cause Toyotaro loves GT like he loves everything else in Dragonball as evident by his Dragon Ball AF manga (which is a sequel to GT), and if he become the head guy of the franchise story-wise he might do something weird like this.

Remaking GT would be the biggest flop in anime history. It cant be fixed. It will always be a blemish on the history of DB but thankfully Super is here to prevent it being the last of DB legacy.

Turning Goku into a kid is core to GT which automatically makes it irredeemable. I think Super has struggled with the execution of ideas so I can't see them ever improving GT to the point where those who hate it grow to like it.

Yeah but he's pretty much going to be given the keys to the kingdom if Toriyama ever leaves, lol. That's a reality we're gonna have to face. And to be honest, Toriyama isn't a very good writer either. Toyotaro just likes to delve more into fanfiction territory since that's where he came from.

The day Toyotaro gets the keys to the Dragon Ball anime is the day I stop being a Dragon Ball fan.

Slaythe

I don't know, Jaco was great.

Toyotaro is horrible, and he won't be given the keys to anything. Dragon Ball isn't his property. The Dragon Room will take over for Toei and if Toyotaro pushes is lucky he'll keep doing what he does : adapting plot points given to him, and make suggestions once in a while.

NeonZ

Toyotaro writes a better Goku than the Toei staff at least, which is something oddly overlooked in these complaints about him. Messing up the protagonist of the show is a pretty big misstep.

Hrm question...how would you guys feel if Toriyama took a break from the series and in an attempt to extend the lifespan of the series they end up remaking the three major GT arcs ala Battle of Gods and Resurrection F' style with Toyotaro's supervision? Of course these arcs would be fine-tuned and (hopefully) improved on.

Taking a break from what? The whole point of the current method is that Toriyama doesn't need to be working on the series all the time.

Anyway, If you're comparing them to the BoGs remake, then they'd still need to stick to all major plot points and designs... no. GT killed the franchise once, it'd be insanity to spend at least one year going over it again.

Toyotaro makes Toriyama look like a god tier writer.

caliph95

Toyotaro makes Toriyama look like a god tier writer.
"But it makes more sense"

Remember how there was attempt of mystery and build up in anime but the manga it's like Kibito: Oh it's Zamasu

Remember how they attempt in the anime to make you give a shit about earth and in the manga Zamasu completed his genocide offscreen

"But it makes more sense"

Remember how there was attempt of mystery and build up in anime but the manga it's like Kibito: Oh it's Zamasu

Remember how they attempt in the anime to make you give a shit about earth and in the manga Zamasu completed his genocide offscreen

Makes more sense my ass.

The manga has a lot of plot holes.

Rutger

Banned
Toyotaro writes a better Goku than the Toei staff at least, which is something oddly overlooked in these complaints about him. Messing up the protagonist of the show is a pretty big misstep.

Except what we're seeing with Goku in Super is exactly what Toriyama wants with the character.

Slaythe

I mean, let's face it guys, things in Toyotaro's fan manga :

- Evil kai

- Evil Goku wannabe

- Broly is back

- 17 is back

- Gohan does shit

- Female super saiyans

It all seems to add up....

WAIT, I forgot

- Goten and Trunks actively participate in the plot

Never mind, forget it.

Big One

Banned
I don't know, Jaco was great.

Toyotaro is horrible, and he won't be given the keys to anything. Dragon Ball isn't his property. The Dragon Room will take over for Toei and if Toyotaro pushes is lucky he'll keep doing what he does : adapting plot points given to him, and make suggestions once in a while.
I mean the dude is already designing key characters by himself. That should tell us the entire story there. if Toriyama goes, Toyotaro is going to be the guy that takes his place (in the very least, in terms of character design/art). That isn't to say the Story Group won't be involved with things but considering they've already made many mistakes and missteps using Toriyama's outlines...yeah.

Slaythe

I mean the dude is already designing key characters by himself. That should tell us the entire story there. if Toriyama goes, Toyotaro is going to be the guy that takes his place (in the very least, in terms of character design/art). That isn't to say the Story Group won't be involved with things but considering they've already made many mistakes and missteps using Toriyama's outlines...yeah.

You realize Toei designs even more characters than Toyotaro does, right ?

And they have tons of competent artists that can do Toriyama's style better. Why would they even discard Yamamuro and the others to design characters lol ? Over Toyotaro ? Not gonna happen.

Big One

Banned
You realize Toei designs even more characters than Toyotaro does, right ?
Yeah in the in-between episodes. We do not know who designed what yet in the Universal Survival arc outside of confirmed Toriyama and Toyotaro stuff.
And they have tons of competent artists that can do Toriyama's style better. Why would they even discard Yamamuro and the others to design characters lol ? Over Toyotaro ? Not gonna happen.
Yamamuro is worse than Toyotaro when it comes to character designs. In the very least Toyotaro designed some dope God of Destruction designs.

dci260

Is this a Mega evolved Pokémon?

Tbh, he reminds me of DeviantArt Sonic characters.

And half Kai somehow
And apparently there's similarities with manga and xucor but I need to read it

I don't remember that, but I think he had the same mother as Frieza or something. It was really dumb.

He didn't though. His AF doujin was putting together existing rumors and designs for AF, and that included Xicor and "Lila" - although he was the one that made her into a surviving Kaioshin from Buu's rampage, rather than just a generic goddess character unrelated to the Kai hierarchy.

That I did not know... well, he should have left those abominations by the wayside.

Gin-Shiio

If someone had read Super's plot to me before it was a thing, I'd have laughed at them and called it bad fan fiction anyway.
Especially the Zamasu arc.

NeonZ

I have to agree, let's not forgot that he birthed this abomination.

latest

He didn't though. His AF doujin was putting together existing rumors and designs for AF into a continuous story, and that included Xicor and "Lila" - although he was the one that made her into a surviving Kaioshin from Buu's rampage, rather than just a generic goddess character unrelated to the Kai hierarchy.

Except what we're seeing with Goku in Super is exactly what Toriyama wants with the character.

Nah. Toei is overcompensating for their previous take. And, back during the anime Trunks arc, the anime's Goku often made errors that proved crucial to their losses, like repeatedly forgetting senzu beans, and that has nothing to do with Toriyama's Goku.

If someone had read Super's plot to me before it was a thing, I'd have laughed at them and called it bad fan fiction anyway.
Especially the Zamasu arc.

Honestly I think the Zamasu arc was the least aggrevious aside from the ending... Nothing like literally writing yourself into a corner after dragging out the final confrontation.

(edit) Also why are they called the Super Dragon Balls anyways? If the Namekians based their dragon balls off of them, shouldn't they, as the originals, just be the Dragon Balls and everything else specifically be mentioned. This is a question that needs answering!
jk

NeonZ

And half Kai somehow
And apparently there's similarities with manga and xucor but I need to read it

In some unfinished pages of his AF doujin, Vegeta was meant to use a trick where he quickly switched between a power and an energy saving form in order to beat up Xicor for a while. In their manga rematch, Vegeta does the same thing to Black, using SSJ God and SSJ Blue, and there's even a page with similar layout to one of those unfinished pages.

Honestly I think the Zamasu arc was the least aggrevious aside from the ending... Nothing like literally writing yourself into a corner after dragging out the final confrontation.

(edit) Also why are they called the Super Dragon Balls anyways? If the Namekians based their dragon balls off of them, shouldn't they, as the originals, just be the Dragon Balls and everything else specifically be mentioned. This is a question that needs answering!
jk

They were known by another name, I think it was something like "Wish granting orbs", and the Super Dragonball name came after learning about how the lesser Dragonballs were called Dragonballs. There's also Super Shenlong. Technically the name used in the chant to summon it is the reverse of Shenlong's name in Japanese (something like "Nronshe"), but unlike Porunga no one calls it by that real name, only by Super Shenlong.

Big One

Banned
That I did not know... well, he should have left those abominations by the wayside.
I'm pretty positive Toyotaro knew it was stupid. The whole point was that Toyotaro was adapting those fake episode titles into a coherent narrative. So the ideas and concept came from the fans, Toyotaro just expanded upon it and made it into a working narrative.

Skeeter49

86 & 87

Glad to see 17 is back and still a beast. I hope 18 still is too.

Glad you like 17. A lot of people were torn on 17 when he was reintroduced.

I thought it was handled well enough. 17 is up there power wise, and a little poor writing in how he got there offers much better story scenarios for him later down the line.

I like 18 a lot more than 17, even in DBZ, but 17's still cool.

Goku making mistakes with senzu beans is certainly Toriyama's Goku.
Also, errors that proved crucial to their losses? Much of the problems and deaths in the Buu saga are thanks to Goku's poor choices.

They're not messing up Goku, Toriyama never wanted him to be some noble hero..

Superman Goku was a mistake
And my childhood :(

Rutger

Banned
Nah. Toei is overcompensating for their previous take. And, back during the anime Trunks arc, the anime's Goku often made errors that proved crucial to their losses, like repeatedly forgetting senzu beans, and that has nothing to do with Toriyama's Goku.

Also, errors that proved crucial to their losses? Much of the problems and deaths in the Buu saga are thanks to Goku's poor choices.

They're not messing up Goku, Toriyama never wanted him to be some noble hero.

Makes more sense my ass.

The manga has a lot of plot holes.

When compared to the anime? Lol.

The manga has a lot less plot weirdness than the anime does, which is why I can enjoy the Black arc in the manga alongside the anime. Many of the shortcomings of the manga in comparison to the anime is due to its comparative amount of content. Therefore I feel like a lot of the hate thrown at Toyotaru for the manga is due to fans treating the manga like something it's not. I see it as an extra DB supplement to take alongside with the anime. The only way I think these many of these direct comparisons would be valid is if it was on a weekly schedule like the anime, and had room to cover the same amount of ground.

The thing I appreciate about the manga is it being "tighter" in terms of being consistent with itself and explained well, which the anime lacks in comparison, or else I wouldn't bother with the manga as much as I do.

Laiza

After seeing U7's kill count I find myself wishing they wouldn't get a single kill for the entire rest of the tournament until they're actually at the bottom of the pile.

Too bad that'll never happen.

Yes, I do wish these things out of spite. I hate seeing winners go unchallenged. I hate even more when they try to sell something as having serious stakes and then suck all the tension out of the events by making the heroes look untouchable.

Maaan, how they gonna do a Tien episode and make him look like a dumpster fire? He's no Yamcha, but c'mon now, that was disappointing. Show him some love writers, gotdamn.

I'm questioning whether Goku actually wants to prevent his universe from being erased.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Maaan, how they gonna do a Tien episode and make him look like a dumpster fire? He's no Yamcha, but c'mon now, that was disappointing. Show him some love writers, gotdamn.

I'm questioning whether Goku actually wants to prevent his universe from being erased.

Now go watch episode 90. Tien does some stuff there.

NeonZ

Episode 90 is even worse for Tenshinhan...

Giving them to Cell is an entirely different matter. I'm not talking about his battle lust leading to bad choices, I'm talking about him being written as an idiot. That has mostly stopped in the current arc, but it happened way too often during the RoF, U6 and Black arcs in the anime.

He also at least worried about his own friends' lives, something the anime isn't showing well even right now.

They're not messing up Goku, Toriyama never wanted him to be some noble hero.

Toriyama's Goku was a battle genius. Super Anime's Goku took longer than Vegeta to figure out Freeza's weakness, had to take a hint to get Botamo's and forgot the senzu beans and seal in the Trunks arc. Sometimes he also was oddly hyperactive, like when he kept bothering Zamasu to fight against him during their first meeting.

When compared to the anime? Lol.

The manga has a lot less plot weirdness than the anime does, which is why I can enjoy the Black arc in the manga alongside the anime. Many of the shortcomings of the manga in comparison to the anime is due to its comparative amount of content. Therefore I feel like a lot of the hate thrown at Toyotaru for the manga is due to fans treating the manga like something it's not. I see it as an extra DB supplement to take alongside with the anime. The only way I think these many of these direct comparisons would be valid is if it was on a weekly schedule like the anime, and had room to cover the same amount of ground.

The thing I appreciate about the manga is it being "tighter" in terms of being consistent with itself and explained well, which the anime lacks in comparison, or else I wouldn't bother with the manga as much as I do.

What manga did you read?

It contradicts itself from one chapter to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom