• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

SSG and SSBlue both featured their actual designs in the "tease".

Buu was there because ... he was on the team. Having a made up form that will never show up in the show doesn't make sense. If you wanted a tease just have it being a tease, don't show it in action with a place holder effect if you knew it wasn't gonna be like that right away.

The aura is 98% of what this form is and it is computer generated. The eyes are a tiny detail. Otherwise it's just base Goku.

This is still ultimate 2.0.

Also, he completely moved away from making Goku slimmer. He has things he is very adamant about, but he's never close minded when it comes to suggestions. He didn't want to have an overly buff Goku with a cape, but changing eyes slightly isn't something I'd see him ever oppose tbh.

How would you ever make a toy to sell for steamy Goku lol... This one now will get a lot of toys. Slight change with the eyes, hair movement, clothes torn, done, new figures and games stuff.

All we saw were flashes and again, these forms were seen before with Super Saiyan God specifically being over two years old when Super started. The fact that they somewhat hid it was silly.

Buu was a bait and switch, but the fact remains that they can put Goku's new form in without any trouble. Besides, why would they put the new form into the intro before they gave those vague teases for months about it and even hid it with just showing Goku's back? That really make no sense if they were just going to stick the form in the intro regardless and why would they keep the 'beta' since if they thought the form was 'underwhelming' that would have been sorta out before the intro was made.

They were teasing Goku would get something, but they obviously didn't want to reveal what it was. It's a common marketing tactic.

It isn't Ultimate 2.0 since the only thing it has in common with Ultimate is that Goku kept his black hair, and it isn't even completely black with those highlights in it. Ultimate Gohan is literally just Gohan who's bulky. His aura doesn't even change. This have a different aura, gives Goku a different eye color, changes his hair style, and slightly changes his hair color with the highlights. Calling it just base form Goku with silver eyes makes me wonder if you actually looked at the form that closely

What examples do you have of Toriyama changing what a transformation look like other than what he did with Cell? Especially when 'streamy aura' Goku looks quite different from the form we're getting.

How do you make a toy of Ultimate Gohan who is just Gohan with 20% more muscle? Even Super Saiyan Rage is just Super Saiyan 2 with a double aura, so it isn't like they can't make base form Goku with a steamy aura and call it a day. Also, Super despite popular belief isn't Transformers or My Little Pony. Not everything is created to just to sell toys otherwise we would have more Hit figures.

Piichan

Banned
Was there no new episode yesterday? My dvr recorded some One Piece special. I'm sorry, but this thread moves fast, so don't know where to check.

Slaythe

All we saw were flashes and again, these forms were seen before with Super Saiyan God specifically being over two years old when Super started. The fact that they somewhat hid it was silly.

If you pause the video during the flashes you still see their definitive designs.

Buu was a bait and switch, but the fact remains that they can put Goku's new form in without any trouble.

Bait and Switch or not, it was still part of the show. They didn't put Yamcha instead of 17 for instance. Buu was part of the team so it made sense.

Besides, why would they put the new form into the intro before they gave those vague teases for months about it and even hid it with just showing Goku's back? That really made no sense if they were just going to stick the form in the intro regardless.

What ? If they changed it to make it more impressive along the way, then it makes perfect sense to do what they did... Like the marketing changed, the arc started MONTHS ago. They had time to plan this long after the OP was produced and they figured out the writing and designs.

They were teasing Goku would get something, but they obviously didn't want to reveal what it was. It's a common marketing tactic.

But they didn't just tease something, they literally showed it, it just doesn't look the same anymore. It doesn't represent anything in the show, which is pretty weird.

They could have teased it perfectly by not revealing "steamy Goku" and just having him absorb the aura thing before we got to see him.

It isn't Ultimate 2.0 since the only thing it has in common with Ultimate is that Goku kept his black hair, and it isn't even completely black with those highlights in it. Ultimate Gohan is literally just Gohan who's bulky. His aura doesn't even change. This have a different aura, gives Goku a different eye color, changes his hair style, and slightly changes his hair color with the highlights. Calling it just base form Goku with silver eyes makes me wonder if you actually looked at the form.

Which is why it's ultimate 2.0 and not just ultimate...

The hair is just flowing because of the aura, like it always had whenever he has an aura on him ( if there's no cheap animation :p ), same for the highlights, they are a bit stronger here than usual because the effect of the aura is stronger, but he still had highlights with his previous aura before.

Keep being hypocritical for the sake of it, it's super cute, like "uuuh ssb is literally ssj with blue hair" but somehow this isn't base goku with silver eyes. Right.

What examples do you have of Toriyama changing what a transformation look like other than what he did with Cell?

Ok first of all, you don't get to ignore a blatant exemple just cause you feel like it, but second, he went on record multiple times saying he did tweak designs he was sent. So maybe they sent him a new design for this form and he sent back a simpler version of Goku with silver eyes. Or maybe they sent it right away and he was okay with it. If you see it in Super, that means he approved it, either by making it himself, tweaking it, or accepting it. Same goes for the manga.

How do you make a toy of Ultimate Gohan who is just Gohan with 20% more muscle? Even Super Saiyan Rage is just Super Saiyan 2 with a double aura, so it isn't like they can't make base form Goku with a steamy aura and call it a day. Also, Super despite popular belief isn't Transformers or My Little Pony. Not everything is created to sell toys otherwise we would have more Hit figures.

Ultimate Gohan got a new costume for the occasion though, Goku's gi. In Super, not only does he get the GI back, he now has the "bang" come out. Goku gi + bang = ultimate Gohan. Easy enough.

Trunks gets longer / spikier hair and has a fancy giant shiny sword to go with him. Super easy to make toys out of.

Hit might not have a lot of toys (looking like a dildo probably doesn't help) but he was included in every puzzle, calendar, card games, gashapon, AND videogames (what makes the most money).

Slaythe

I have to agree with HeroR

I just can't think of why they would go trough the trouble of redesigning the form halfway through the arc

What trouble ?

They literally changed the eyes.

I refuse to believe they had the Aura ready and definitive when the OP was made. No matter how you look at it, whether they wanted to use a bogus form to not spoil the real one, or because they just finalized it later on, the point remains, steamy Goku was an incomplete version of the new form. So the "trouble" they went through is the exact same.

HeroR

If you pause the video during the flashes you still see their definitive designs.

Bait and Switch or not, it was still part of the show. They didn't put Yamcha instead of 17 for instance. Buu was part of the team so it made sense.

What ? If they changed it to make it more impressive along the way, then it makes perfect sense to do what they did... Like the marketing changed, the arc started MONTHS ago. They had time to plan this long after the OP was produced and they figured out the writing and designs.

But they didn't just tease something, they literally showed it, it just doesn't look the same anymore. It doesn't represent anything in the show, which is pretty weird.

They could have teased it perfectly by not revealing "steamy Goku" and just having him absorb the aura thing before we got to see him.

Which is why it's ultimate 2.0 and not just ultimate...

The hair is just flowing because of the aura, like it always had whenever he has an aura on him ( if there's no cheap animation :p ), same for the highlights, they are a bit stronger here than usual because the effect of the aura is stronger, but he still had highlights with his previous aura before.

Keep being hypocritical for the sake of it, it's super cute, like "uuuh ssb is literally ssj with blue hair" but somehow this isn't base goku with silver eyes. Right.

Ok first of all, you don't get to ignore a blatant exemple just cause you feel like it, but second, he went on record multiple times saying he did tweak designs he was sent. So maybe they sent him a new design for this form and he sent back a simpler version of Goku with silver eyes. Or maybe they sent it right away and he was okay with it. If you see it in Super, that means he approved it, either by making it himself, tweaking it, or accepting it. Same goes for the manga.

Ultimate Gohan got a new costume for the occasion though, Goku's gi. In Super, not only does he get the GI back, he now has the "bang" come out. Goku gi + bang = ultimate Gohan. Easy enough.

Trunks gets longer / spikier hair and has a fancy giant shiny sword to go with him. Super easy to make toys out of.

Hit might not have a lot of toys (looking like a dildo probably doesn't help) but he was included in every puzzle, calendar, card games, gashapon, AND videogames (what makes the most money).

Which again makes little sense to 'hide' both of the forms since Super Saiyan God was over two years old and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan while newer, was still seen by most because of the movie Resurrection 'F'.

Why would they? Yamacha is the butt monkey and 17 returning was treated as a semi-big deal. Buu being there while nice wasn't unexpected like seeing 17 in the crowd shot.

Again, this is you making assumptions since you think Goku in the intro was the 'original' design, where there is no proof of such thing. What the form would look like would be done months before the intro was even created. Designs like these are not just done and changed on a fly.

Again, you're assuming that steamy aura Goku was the form. There s no proof of such a thing except your theory. Unless you have some interview from Toriyama like how he detailed how Super Saiyan God's design was changed over the course of Battle of Gods. And if the form was changed during the production of the opening, they could have easily removed it. Not sure why you think they just kept the original design and used it again for Boogie Back.

'Streamy Goku' is literally just Goku with a steamy aura. They were teasing something that got people talking, while actually not showing anything. It was actually pretty clever.

It really isn't Ultimate, unless Ultimate just mean 'Saiyans that kept their black hair'.

The hair is up, something that Ultimate doesn't do since it's just Gohan with his hair and now with bang in Super. So Goku's hair shouldn't be standing up at all, it should be like Super Saiyan God. You're also assuming here that the aura is the reason why Goku have highlights. Which I doubt since the highlights don't really match the aura and it's different from the highlights they usually put in Goku's hair.

How I am being a hypocritical since I am not the one pushing a theory as fact. And again, while Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan has subtile differences in Goku's hair compared to Super Saiyan, it is Super Saiyan with blue. This new form isn't just Goku base form with silver eyes and anyone with good vision can see it.

He 'tweak' very little since it was said that Super Saiyan God is what Toriyama design with very little changed. Streamy aura Goku doesn't look like this form of Goku since the aura isn't the same, the eyes aren't the same, Goku doesn't have silver/blue highlights in his hair, his hair is up instead of its normal state. Saying that Toriyama just tweak the streamy aura design is stretching.

Gohan getting new gi isn't related to the transformation, so that is an odd thing to have and doubt Toriyama was thinking about toys when he did it. And the different is still so subtle that fans get confused when Gohan is Ultimate. Especially since Gohan wore his father's gi and was noticeable more musclier even when he didn't have Ultimate in the exhibition matches.

Super Saiyan Rage is Super Saiyan 2 with a double aura. That sword isn't even related to form. It's even simpler than Ultimate in some ways.

As for the marking angle, Baggie_Saiyan from Kanzenshuu put it best:

That is assuming anything more does get announced as of right now for the rest of the year just one Kale figure...

The release schedules are so slow and they waste slots by putting Z related stuff or Heroes related things this is all under the Super brand it's like what are they doing and then they sometimes re-use moulds for figures and make things even slower. An example, new Super brand line of figures (FES Stage) was announced a few months ago (first volume came out 2 weeks ago), 8 figures have been announced...only 1 is really Super related the rest from Dragon Ball or Z and all of them are Goku... And of those 8, 2 are SS1 Namek Goku's same mould but one with a more golder paint job on the hair, 2 base Saiyan arc Goku's with the same mould but one normal the other Kaioken, 2 SS3 Goku's same mould but one has a lighter coloured gi...

Folks babble on how everything in Super is made to sell toys and merch when it feels like Z and Heroes is being sold more under the Super brand then anything actually Super related!! Just goes to show how powerful the Super brand is! Basically slap Super on something and it'll sell.

What trouble ?

They literally changed the eyes.

I refuse to believe they had the Aura ready and definitive when the OP was made. No matter how you look at it, whether they wanted to use a bogus form to not spoil the real one, or because they just finalized it later on, the point remains, steamy Goku was an incomplete version of the new form. So the "trouble" they went through is the exact same.

Well tells me everything. No point talking you any further on this.

Slaythe

Well tells me everything. No point talking you any further on this.

giphy.gif

Luckily for me I read this before the rest, so it's saving me a lot of time.

Sure, the aura might not have been final, but I doubt the design of the form itself was changed. It's not just the eyes that are different, the hair is too.
A figure has already been announced for the new form, that tells me the design has been sitting around for awhile.

I-hate-u

Gohan - Kagari
Vegeta - HardRojo
Piccolo - Undead Fantasy
17 - Slaythe
Goten - Blackleg-sanji1
Kale M.D
Caulifla - Lotus

Who actually even likes Goku,
other than me of course
?

Who actually even likes Goku,
other than me of course
?
Don't worry, I like him too n_n
Goku always was and still is the best character in the series, especially in Super.
I hope he goes back to being goofy and childlike after the special quickly. Serious Goku is boring.

Skeeter49

I like Kid Goku, and Dadku.

When is Caulifla going to get an episode instead of just being there to hype Kale. I'm getting triggered, I need a Caulifla focused episode.

HardRojo

I just thought u had a vegeta avatar to be honest lol no idea he was ya fav
Dude has come around from senseless murderer who was all about the pride of being a Saiyan to caring father (in his own weird way) and protector of the Earth, he even acts the fool if necessary (bingo dance and cooking scenes for Beerus and Whis). What's not to love?
This is one of my favorite moments from the F. Trunks arc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtfpHhFZU20
You're our favorite Vegeta fan now
Heh, thanks, I just love the character too much as well as his development :p Though I did worry a bit during the beginning of this arc when he was stubborn about not fighting as a team.

Dude has come around from senseless murderer who was all about the pride of being a Saiyan to caring father (in his own weird way) and protector of the Earth, he even acts the fool if necessary (bingo dance and cooking scenes for Beerus and Whis). What's not to love?
This is one of my favorite moments from the F. Trunks arc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtfpHhFZU20

Heh, thanks, I just love the character too much as well as his development :p Though I did worry a bit during the beginning of this arc when he was stubborn about not fighting as a team.
Hey man geets is easily top 5 I need no convincing
One of the best developed characters too which shows me they know how to do it

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, Vegeta is a great, well-developed character. I don't like how he's always one step behind a low-class Saiyan like Goku though.

Yuya Takahashi (who will do some animation on the special and do animation supervision on at least one episode in the future) posted another DB doodle on his twitter.
DLI8w-3UQAAvVPp.jpg

For those that don't remember, or didn't see he also posted this doodle back in August just before confirming that he was going to work on Super.
DHuyx53VwAESdp3.jpg:small

Skeeter49

My top 5.
1. Caulifla
2. Gohan
3. 18
4. Beerus
5. Future Trunks

Roshi and Vegeta are much higher thanks to Super.Tien is much lower thanks to Super. He use to be in my top 10. 17 is much higher, might be my 6th

LotusHD

Banned

I-hate-u

Don't worry, I like him too n_n
Goku always was and still is the best character in the series, especially in Super.
I hope he goes back to being goofy and childlike after the special quickly. Serious Goku is boring.

sJU2LiJ.gif

Goku is just the best y'all. I love that they gave him back the main character status after the Cell saga. If Goku Can't Do It, Who Will

Top 5:

1. Goku
2. Gohan
3. Future Trunks
4. Piccolo
5. Pre-DBZ Tien.

1. Caulifla
2. Goku Black
3. Beerus
4. Piccolo
5. Hit

Honorable mention: Future Trunks

Someone is a Super fan jeez

1. Gohan
1. Gohan
1. Gohan
4. Piccolo
5. Goku

Future Trunks, Majin Vegeta, Cell Saga Tien are all honorable mentions.

If we talking villains...
1. Cell
2. Frieza
3. Super Buu
4. Goku Black / Zamasu
5. Fat Buu

Dabura is a sleeper.
I used to think Beerus was gonna go rogue. Pretty sure he's not now. Whis either... But maybe the the other angels will. And if so then Whis' father might be on this list at some point.

LotusHD

Banned
Someone is a Super fan jeez

I just had to think long and hard, and Piccolo, Trunks, and now 17 are the only old characters in the series that I've always liked. Piccolo is just that dude, Trunks imo is the coolest Saiyan, and I like that he always takes shit seriously. 17 I've never really had anything bad to say about him, while his recent reintroduction in Super has made me genuinely like him. 18 isn't far behind, though I don't like how she's been sidelined up until recently.

I like Goku well enough, but not that much, he's just there to wow me with his cool transformations. I've never been crazy about Vegeta, like ever, he's insanely easy to mock, but he has his moments. Gohan has been lame to me since the Cell Saga ended, and I have yet to change my mind on that. As for the villains, Frieza has recently gotten back into my good graces, but Black is by far my favorite regarding the villains. I do like Cell, but that's more of a TFS thing to be honest, doesn't really count. Beerus is Beerus.

And as for any of the humans being in my Top 5... Lol no.
Maybe Videl once upon a time if they didn't neuter her personality, probably part of why I like Cauli so much.

I just had to think long and hard, and Piccolo, Trunks, and now 17 are the only old characters in the series that I've always liked. Piccolo is just that dude, Trunks imo is the coolest Saiyan, and I like that he always takes shit seriously. 17 I've never really had anything bad to say about him, while his recent reintroduction in Super has made me genuinely like him. 18 isn't far behind, though I don't like how she's been sidelined up until recently.

I like Goku well enough, but not that much, he's just there to wow me with his cool transformations. I've never been crazy about Vegeta, like ever, he's insanely easy to mock, but he has his moments. Gohan has been lame to me since the Cell Saga ended, and I have yet to change my mind on that. As for the villains, Frieza has recently gotten back into my good graces, but Black is by far my favorite regarding the villains. I do like Cell, but that's more of a TFS thing to be honest, doesn't really count. Beerus is Beerus.

Maybe Videl once upon a time if they didn't neuter her personality, probably part of why I like Cauli so much.
It’s funny I almost put videl last too than I look at super and was like nah 18 still fighting

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't really have a fav but I suppose despite Super, Goku is still the best for me. Beerus second, Gohan, Vegeta and so on.

I-hate-u

When I see lists void of Goku it tells me people haven't really paid attention to the OG Dragon Ball. Piccolo almost doesn't even count as DB rep becauce he was really only in 1 little arc.

Slaythe

I mean, to be fair, outside of 17 being my clear favorite, I kind of like every character.

I usually dislike the villains though. And Tien. Fuck Tien.

A bit upset at Goku's behavior.

I also don't really like the U6 characters. :x

I hate the U11 characters. U2 are fun so far. Other universes are trash.

LotusHD

Banned
When I see lists void of Goku it tells me people haven't really paid attention to the OG Dragon Ball. Piccolo almost doesn't even count as DB rep becauce he was really only in 1 little arc.

I'm going off of the characters in the current day though... No need for assumptions, we like what we like.

I-hate-u

Goku in the original DB is the best. He's so adorable.

Yep, and the character progression carried over to DBZ was wonderfully done. I love his character arc and he'll always rank #1 to me.

I can see how some can find him grating in Super and some of Z (Super has taken his go dumb attitude too far), but it's totally a mute point when put into the context of his coming of age story.

Sephzilla

The reason Piccolo and Vegeta take the 1/2 spots on my list is because I feel like they have by far the most actual character development out of everyone in Dragonball. Depending on where Super takes Gohan, Adult Gohan might crack my top 3 as well. I've always vastly preferred Teen/Adult Gohan over Raditz-through-Cell Gohan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom