• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the type of show DB is its far easier to write Goku and Vegeta as the leads as they'll go out of their way to move the story along even at the expense of their well being.

AT(and TOEI in lock step) increasingly relied on Goku and Vegeta to do crazy things like let Frieza/Cell transform, go Majin and don't use SSJ3 on Geets, break the potara, etc, to keep everything moving briskly without having to think too much. Like if Trunks was too strong during the Cell saga none of that shit would've went down how it did, he had to be made a goober so Vegeta could be an asshole uninhibited and keep it going.

HeroR

With the type of show DB is its far easier to write Goku and Vegeta as the leads as they'll go out of their way to move the story along even at the expense of their well being.

AT(and TOEI in lock step) increasingly relied on Goku and Vegeta to do crazy things like let Frieza/Cell transform, go Majin and don't use SSJ3 on Geets, break the potara, etc, to keep everything moving briskly without having to think too much. Like if Trunks was too strong during the Cell saga none of that shit would've went down how it did, he had to be made a goober so Vegeta could be an asshole uninhibited and keep it going.

If that was the only reason to used Goku and Vegeta, they could include Gohan since he screws up just as badly, Cell and Buu. In fact, the entire cast screws up, which is how Cell even became perfect.

If that was the only reason to used Goku and Vegeta, they could include Gohan since he screws up just as badly, Cell and Buu. In fact, the entire cast screws up, which is how Cell even became perfect.
I didn't say it was the only reason.

Gohan had that one trait that AT could really take advantage of, him letting power get to his head. The thing is he's not like that all the time, only under extreme circumstances, and it's a flaw that shouldn't be used too much cause it fucks with character growth. His normal state is that of passiveness and trying to keep it together.

Goku and Vegeta are far more versatile and useful to the structure of DB, you can have them in a large variety of situations where they can easily move the story along while staying true to the natural state of their characters. Like only those two would ever veto the plan to use the balls to find Gero before the three years, if anyone else was stronger and in charge the androids don't happen and Cell is screwed.(thus you have to think a little harder to contrive a reason why they wouldn't use the balls where as its extremely easy to just have Gok and Geets say no)

You could say the "goal" in writing DB is getting everything set up to the next big fight. Goku and Vegeta are easy to write because they are intentionally trying to achieve that "goal" while the others(like a Gohan or Future Trunks) would be working against things going too far.

giphy.gif
Those eyes are killing me.

NimbusD

They turned a legitimate and interesting character (even if he's a minor character) into a complete joke. I would say that's pretty disrespectful. He's barely even a character any more, just a walking joke.
Honestly I never gave magetta a second thought and sort of felt he was a joke of a character in the first place. They could make his voice just one long fart and I couldn't care less.

I feel like this is just the fanbase now. Everyone's just waiting for their respective favorite characters to shine or be "fixed", the plot be damned, barring Goku and Vegeta fans of course. Although Vegeta fans aren't always satisfied either...

Whenever anyone in this thread mentions Vegeta fans I can't help but take it as if they're talking directly to HardRojo

NeonZ

Right and one Super's best writers also did him shit. So, what are you hoping for here?

That's different. In that episode, Tenshinhan (due to not knowing about the situation) was used to highlight Gohan's growth and determination by being surprised with how seriously everyone else was taking the battle. Obviously, if the writer cared about Tenshinhan he wouldn't have trashed him so badly just to highlight another character, or written some of his odd lines there (like complaining about people taking things too seriously and immediately using the Kikoho when he attempted a ki blast), but overall the main point of the episode, which was about Gohan's growth, was clearly reached successfully.

Regarding Tenshinhan's elimination episode though, a competent writer wouldn't have written something that resulted in that divergence between how the characters (and narrator) and the viewers saw his actions even if he didn't like him and only were writing that in the first place because they needed to do it due to the outline.

HeroR

I didn't say it was the only reason.

Gohan had that one trait that AT could really take advantage of, him letting power get to his head. The thing is he's not like that all the time, only under extreme circumstances, and it's a flaw that shouldn't be used too much cause it fucks with character growth. His normal state is that of passiveness and trying to keep it together.

Goku and Vegeta are far more versatile and useful to the structure of DB, you can have them in a large variety of situations where they can easily move the story along while staying true to the natural state of their characters. Like only those two would ever veto the plan to use the balls to find Gero before the three years, if anyone else was stronger and in charge the androids don't happen and Cell is screwed.(thus you have to think a little harder to contrive a reason why they wouldn't use the balls where as its extremely easy to just have Gok and Geets say no)

You could say the "goal" in writing DB is getting everything set up to the next big fight. Goku and Vegeta are easy to write because they are intentionally trying to achieve that "goal" while the others(like a Gohan or Future Trunks) would be working against things going too far.

You mean a doormat.

Also, all the Z-Fighters veto going after the androids. And since when Gohan done anything to keep things going too far? He was just as giddy as Goku fighting Babidi men instead of worrying about Buu.

What about these?

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

I really hope that becomes Goku's permanent expression since it triggers people so much.

That's different. In that episode, Tenshinhan (due to not knowing about the situation) was used to highlight Gohan's growth and determination by being surprised with how seriously everyone else was taking the battle. Obviously, if the writer cared about Tenshinhan he wouldn't have trashed him so badly just to highlight another character, or written some of his odd lines there (like complaining about people taking things too seriously and immediately using the Kikoho when he attempted a ki blast), but overall the main point of the episode, which was about Gohan's growth, was clearly reached successfully.

Regarding Tenshinhan's elimination episode though, a competent writer wouldn't have written something that resulted in that divergence between how the characters (and narrator) and the viewers saw his actions even if he didn't like him and only were writing that in the first place because they needed to do it due to the outline.

So now we're trying to say that a writer brought in that worked on other high profile shows isn't competent? And no offense, unless you have some proof, I really hate when fans decides when a writer 'hates' a character based on them no portraying them well. It's the same BS about how all the Super's writers were Vegeta fanboys who made Goku looked bad, until the Kaioken, then all the writers turned in to Goku fanboys who lived to make Vegeta looked bad.

Baleoce

Starting to think the whole reason he got Piccolo to train Gohan back up to Ultimate was so he could analyze it upfront and learn something about a new form for himself. It really does look like the
manga bit where he absorbs blue into himself and completes the form though

ElFly

And Piccolo.

eeeh I'd say that Raditz was more of an opening villain, but sure

Starting to think the whole reason he got Piccolo to train Gohan back up to Ultimate was so he could analyze it upfront and learn something about a new form for himself. It really does look like the

the perfected Blue form leaked no ki, tho

it was super boring visually

HeroR

Mastered Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is just Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan without the aura. This form doesn't look like it at all.

ElFly

Mastered Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is just Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan without the aura. This form doesn't look like it at all.

it could still be named that, just that Toyotaro didn't get the message that it should look awesome

I guess Goku learned the Genki technique from FTrunks

Baleoce

eeeh I'd say that Raditz was more of an opening villain, but sure

the perfected Blue form leaked no ki, tho

it was super boring visually

They could have easily decided internally that it looked boring. So spiced it up for the anime. I mean, it's clearly a blue aura. They have to give it some kind of unique look as well if they want to sell a figure of it in the future.

Slaythe

Seems rather obvious to me that the "steamy aura" was supposed to be the new form, and they collectively realized it was underwhelming and redundant with Ultimate Gohan.

And so they turned it into that instead, which is the same except they tweaked the eyes and made the aura more impressive.

HeroR

Seems rather obvious to me that the "steamy aura" was supposed to be the new form, and they collectively realized it was underwhelming and redundant with Ultimate Gohan.

And so they turned it into that instead, which is the same except they tweaked the eyes and made the aura more impressive.

Not likely. This form would have been done months ago along with Toriyama's render of it. The 'steamy aura' was most likely just a placeholder/tease since they didn't want to show the form in the intro.

it could still be named that, just that Toyotaro didn't get the message that it should look awesome

I guess Goku learned the Genki technique from FTrunks

As far as I know, the manga exclusive Blue form doesn't have a name. Mastered Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is just the fan name.

They could have easily decided internally that it looked boring. So spiced it up for the anime. I mean, it's clearly a blue aura. They have to give it some kind of unique look as well if they want to sell a figure of it in the future.

It has been confirmed that Toriyama created the form and he doesn't usually care about such things, see Super Saiyan God or even Blue which is just Super Saiyan with blue hair. Toriyama in general don't do flashy transformations. And before someone goes Toei could have changed his mind, he refused to bend when it came to Super Saiyan God design and ejected any changed to his design.

HeroR

Yeah. In that shot he looks younger for some reason. Also his eye style is the same.

I would say only it's similar to Super Saiyan God only in the eyes, given Goku's pupil. Everything else, not really since Super Saiyan God makes Goku skinner while this form Goku is buff and his hair is more similar to Super Saiyan and not his base form.

CryptiK

I would say only it's similar to Super Saiyan God only in the eyes, given Goku's pupil. Everything else, not really since Super Saiyan God makes Goku skinner while this form Goku is buff and his hair is more similar to Super Saiyan and not his base form.
I would say his hair is way more closer to his base... He is buff in the promo shots, but in that GIF when he turns around his neck doesnt look "DBZ" buff.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Steamy form is obviously Gear Second Saiyan

HeroR

I would say his hair is way more closer to his base... He is buff in the promo shots, but in that GIF when he turns around his neck doesnt look "DBZ" buff.

True, but Super Saiyan God noticeably changed Goku's figure, this form doesn't. Can't say agree on the hair from what I have seen.

Slaythe

This is almost definitely the case.

Why would you have a place holder ? Just don't have it there at all ? That steamy form was clearly the "new form". And not random since it was featured in the ending too.

Also, it's very clear this is going to be another 3D aura, so the chances of it being the result of adapting some 2D art of Toriyama is unlikely, it's more them toying with their software until they got an aura they're happy with... And it's likely they improved the effect over time.

We also know the show is a back and forth between Tori and Toei, so them suggesting "hey can we tweak Goku's eyes ? Thanks" along the way is hardly improbable.

HeroR

Why would you have a place holder ? Just don't have it there at all ? That steamy form was clearly the "new form". And not random since it was featured in the ending too.

Also, it's very clear this is going to be another 3D aura, so the chances of it being the result of adapting some 2D art of Toriyama is unlikely, it's more them toying with their software until they got an aura they're happy with... And it's likely they improved the effect over time.

We also know the show is a back and forth between Tori and Toei, so them suggesting "hey can we tweak Goku's eyes ? Thanks" along the way is hardly improbable.

Because they did a transformation tease for both Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan in the first intro, despite both of those forms being seen before. They can also add the new form in the intro when it's official revealed like they did with Frieza replacing Buu. The ending was also teasing.

I don't see what the aura has to do with anything, especially when you haven't even seen Toriyama's render or notes on the form.

We also know how Toriyama create forms and how he won't changed a design once he has an idea, Super Saiyan God. He also wouldn't care about 'it's too simple' since Blue is literally Super Saiyan with blue hair. If he wanted Ultimate 2.0, it would have been done.

Slaythe

Because they did a transformation tease for both Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan in the first intro, despite both of those forms being seen before.

SSG and SSBlue both featured their actual designs in the "tease".

They can also add the new form in the intro when it's official revealed like they did with Frieza replacing Buu. The ending was also teasing.

Buu was there because ... he was on the team. Having a made up form that will never show up in the show doesn't make sense. If you wanted a tease just have it being a tease, don't show it in action with a place holder effect if you knew it wasn't gonna be like that right away.

I don't see what the aura has to do with anything, especially when you haven't even seen Toriyama's render or notes on the form.

The aura is 98% of what this form is and it is computer generated. The eyes are a tiny detail. Otherwise it's just base Goku.

We also know how Toriyama create forms and how he won't changed a design once he has an idea, Super Saiyan God. He also wouldn't care about 'it's too simple' since Blue is literally Super Saiyan with blue hair. If he wanted Ultimate 2.0, it would have been done.

This is still ultimate 2.0.

Also, he completely moved away from making Goku slimmer. He has things he is very adamant about, but he's never close minded when it comes to suggestions. He didn't want to have an overly buff Goku with a cape, but changing eyes slightly isn't something I'd see him ever oppose tbh.

How would you ever make a toy to sell for steamy Goku lol... This one now will get a lot of toys. Slight change with the eyes, hair movement, clothes torn, done, new figures and games stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom