• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I'm watching Plague of gripes video on power levels and he hit the nail on the head on how the writers limit themselves into showing the strongest people of 13 different universes are meh in design and complete jobbers.

Morlas

tumblr_o4iij9P7OX1ufw8o4o1_540.gif

HardRojo

Holy shit at the collaboration between The Mask and DBS! Which universe is he from!? U6's Earth!?
Edit: Now that I think about it, it'd be nice to have the crazy loose canon sociopath archetype in the ToP, someone with crazy power who simply gives no fucks and has no regards for anyone, Frieza doesn't quite fit the bill because even if he's a bit crazy, he still acts under logic and a plan.

Zubz

Banned
What I take from this is how integrated into DB Beerus is these days.

Those are all characters from back in the day.the people at the party probably don't even know GT is not canon, yet Beerus is there

I mean to me this is like Pheromosa being mentioned by my friends who stopped playing Pokemon ages ago

Yup. He's got a design that helps him just fit right into the main cast! I love that he's resonated so well with fans new & old.

daman824

You know I'm watching Plague of gripes video on power levels and he hit the nail on the head on how the writers limit themselves into showing the strongest people of 13 different universes are meh in design and complete jobbers.
There are universes that aren't taking part in the tournament. And while "universe level" may not entirely refer to the power levels of those living in it, I could easily see the writers bringing in stronger fighters/villains from the unused universes.

It's also worth noting that it's not the ten strongest fighters from each universe fighting. It's the ten strongest "known" characters from each universe fighting. If Goku saves the erased universes after the tournament I could see characters introduced from "previously unknown" parts of those universes. Frieza was the strongest fighter in universe 7 at one point

HardRojo

We don't even know WTF Limit breaker is supposed to be or whether that's an actual name or not lol, the special is going to be great!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We don't even know WTF Limit breaker is supposed to be or whether that's an actual name or not lol, the special is going to be great!

If I had to guess based on the previews
no one else will be able to get it as it's a temporary thing Goku somehow gets by absorbing the genki dama.

no one else will be able to get it as it's a temporary thing Goku somehow gets by absorbing the genki dama.
I still find the need to turn it into a form odd. I’m expecting a battle of the gods move here he’s busting out this form regularly eventually

Tsunamo

I think that's the best thing. We don't have much context to it and toei have been really quiet about what it is, so we're left wondering until the special.

With that said stuff like that is some of my favorite Dragon Ball moments, similar to how there was no prior indication of SSJ Rage Trunks and it just popped up at the end of the episode as a awesome suprise.

NeonZ

I can't see it being something temporary with the way Goku will apparently be out of action after this special for a while (or at least won't defeat Jiren, who will even fight the next week too against Hit). If it was temporary, it'd at least be decisive. I think it's more likely he won't have full control of it here, will somehow burn himself using it, and then reawaken it again later.

you know,
thinking about it, i think it's still possible that the power up doesn't come form the genki dama. We have been misled before due to the editing in the NEPs. It is still the most likely reason at this point, but I'm a bit suspicious.

HardRojo

Oh, well I guess
that was expected and pretty much everyone assumed something like that would happen. I'm excited for the battle damage, we're in dire need of more of it.

HeroR

Toriyama knew he had to sideline Goku, and later on Vegeta, in order to give everyone else a part to play. I think the one thing Super does wrong is it doesn't recognize this and as a result it's constantly the Goku and Vegeta show. It did it for a hot minute in RoF, but not so much after that.

That only proves that the secondary cast is weak since no other major show has the always sidelined their main character for the secondary cast to do anything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, just looking at the aura in motion makes it clear this is something to do with the spirit bomb.

That only proves that the secondary cast is weak since no other major show has the always sidelined their main character for the secondary cast to do anything.

The show is focused primarily on fighting, there's not a ton of story going on in between all that fighting. If you don't fight you aren't part of the story and Goku (and Vegeta) will literally fight dudes just to fight a strong dude. It's in their nature.

I mean, they don't even spend more than 3 minutes looking for the Dragon Balls anymore.

The issue is story structure. When all of your story is just fights, characters like Goku and Vegeta will dominate it just because of their personalities.

Magwik

Banned
Toriyama knew he had to sideline Goku, and later on Vegeta, in order to give everyone else a part to play. I think the one thing Super does wrong is it doesn't recognize this and as a result it's constantly the Goku and Vegeta show. It did it for a hot minute in RoF, but not so much after that.

Did you like miss the entire last arc where Goku and Vegeta did nothing at the end of the day?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did you like miss the entire last arc where Goku and Vegeta did nothing at the end of the day?

You mean the one where they went to the future, fought a god, fused together to fight said god, Goku learned a new technique, and then Trunks finally finished the fight? I mean shit dude, just because Trunks got the killing blow doesn't mean Goku and Vegeta didn't dominate the arc.

There was nothing about the story that mandated them being there other than they were the only ones on that level at the time. From a thematic standpoint they would have been better served sending the Androids, and maybe Gohan, into the future with Trunks.

EDIT: OK, you can make an argument Goku belonged there because of Goku Black, but didn't really take advantage of that dynamic at all.

HeroR

Well, there was still hope Toriyama's outline would have Tenshinhan doing something. It just happened the episode where he should have done something got one of Super's two worst writers on top of that. The characters act like he did well, but the viewers can't buy it.

Right and one Super's best writers also did him shit. So, what are you hoping for here?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You mean the one where they went to the future, fought a god, fused together to fight said god, Goku learned a new technique, and then Trunks finally finished the fight? I mean shit dude, just because Trunks got the killing blow doesn't mean Goku and Vegeta didn't dominate the arc.

There was nothing about the story that mandated them being there other than they were the only ones on that level at the time. From a thematic standpoint they would have been better served sending the Androids, and maybe Gohan, into the future with Trunks.

EDIT: OK, you can make an argument Goku belonged there because of Goku Black, but didn't really take advantage of that dynamic at all.

He looks like Goku, Goku should be there.

He killed Bulma and looks like Goku, Vegeta should be there.

HeroR

Yea, just looking at the aura in motion makes it clear this is something to do with the spirit bomb.

The show is focused primarily on fighting, there's not a ton of story going on in between all that fighting. If you don't fight you aren't part of the story and Goku (and Vegeta) will literally fight dudes just to fight a strong dude. It's in their nature.

I mean, they don't even spend more than 3 minutes looking for the Dragon Balls anymore.

The issue is story structure. When all of your story is just fights, characters like Goku and Vegeta will dominate it just because of their personalities.

So do a lot of anime and they don't have to sideline their main character for the secondary characters to do shit.

If they can't carry themselves without sidelining Goku all the time, then screw them. Make way for character who can.

How does the androids work? They have no connection to that the timeline at all. Just because the future androids did stuff doesn't mean it somehow connects to the present androids. That is like saying kid Trunks should have gone into the future and fought since he's like Future Trunks.

And "didn't really take advantage of that dynamic at all", did we watched the same arc? You mean like Black having a love/hate relationship with Goku and Goku being the reason why Zamasu went off the deep end?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He looks like Goku, Goku should be there.

He killed Bulma and looks like Goku, Vegeta should be there.

And story-wise they did all of jack shit with it.

So do a lot of anime and they don't have to sideline their main character for the secondary characters to do shit.

If they can't carry themselves without sidelining Goku all the time, then screw them. Make way for character who can.

Like who? Even if they came up with a new character on their tier, that character would need to have the same battle crazy personality as the two of them.

It's not a character issue, it's a structural one. All of the plot lines play out in such a way that benefits the two of them and no one else. There's little to no room for supporting roles in Super. Hell, Piccolo existed solely in the 6/7 tournament to show that Frost was a cheat and not a good guy. They remembered they brought him and squeezed his ass in there for a plot point that shouldn't have needed to be stretched out, just so Goku could fight Hit. Shit, look at Buu in that arc and this arc. They contrived to keep him out both times.

HeroR

Zamasu was headed that way anyway Goku just sped it up

He was unstable, but Future Zamasu showed that he wouldn't have gone school shooter for over a decade. Him meeting Goku not only speed up the process, he got a power vessel out of it that surpassed his old limits.

And story-wise they did all of jack shit with it.

Like who? Even if they came up with a new character on their tier, that character would need to have the same battle crazy personality as the two of them.

It's not a character issue, it's a structural one. All of the plot lines play out in such a way that benefits the two of them and no one else. There's little to no room for supporting roles in Super. Hell, Piccolo existed solely in the 6/7 tournament to show that Frost was a cheat and not a good guy. They remembered they brought him and squeezed his ass in there for a plot point that shouldn't have needed to be stretched out, just so Goku could fight Hit. Shit, look at Buu in that arc and this arc. They contrived to keep him out both times.

We had Bulma doing stuff last arc despite being a non-fighter. We had Mai and her rebels doing stuff despite being weak humans. We had Beerus and Whis doing stuff despite not fighting. Heck, we had the Pilaf Gang doing stuff. And in this very arc, we have Roshi be the best he has ever been since the original Dragon Ball.

So yes, it is a character issue. If someone like Roshi, Future Trunks, Future Mai and her group, and Bulma can work with Goku, then so can others. If they can't, then screw them, A main character shouldn't be sideline all the time so the fodder can shine. A good side/secondary character is equal to main character, not useless if main character is in the same room.

And saying they did jack shit with the Goku and Vegeta's relationship with Black is just factual untrue for the reasons I noted in a previous post.

Vidiot

I'd like Beerus to be more involved in future arcs. I know has been pretty involved in everything to do with Super, but I mean in a more hands on kind of way though.

LotusHD

Banned
I feel like this is just the fanbase now. Everyone's just waiting for their respective favorite characters to shine or be "fixed", the plot be damned, barring Goku and Vegeta fans of course. Although Vegeta fans aren't always satisfied either...

ElFly

Vegeta and Goku hog screen time because they are both interested in fighting all the time, and also have p funny personalities

compare with Tenshinhan who had no development after the third tenkaichi and Chaotzu who coasted along with Tenshinhan all that time. do notice that for people like 17 who had no development either, Toei only went by some old Toriyama interview where they said he had become a ranger, had married and had three kids. That's the extent of his background in his episodes and yet even that was more interesting than what Tenshinhan got

at the end of the day, the issue is that Dragon Ball Z was based on a weekly manga, and Super is not. once the movies ended, each episode is more self contained, in that there's a little story, sometimes even a B plot. The tournament has been p "enemy of the week" and sometimes a character gets to shine, and sometimes Tenshinhan gets to share his spotlight episode

re: Buu: I don't think they know what to do with Buu if Satan is not there. He got his fight, Satan got hurt, Buu got angry. That seems to be the extent of the Buu interactions right now. Freeza has been funnier, but maybe ditching Tenshinhan altogether would have been better

Well it's not Gohan doing things so who cares

Gohan fans do not like Gohan doing things tho. I mean just watch the Cell saga, aka, Gohan gets the victory in a silver plate after doing nothing saga

Magwik

Banned

The story revolves around Trunks' struggle to protect and save his home and world. Goku and Vegeta just fight and accomplish nothing until Goku breaks the plot armor. Vegito? Worthless. Goku learning the Mafuba? The scene went to Trunks. The dude even got his own special transformation that put him on Goku level.

HeroR

The story revolves around Trunks' struggle to protect and save his home and world. Goku and Vegeta just fight and accomplish nothing until Goku breaks the plot armor. Vegito? Worthless. Goku learning the Mafuba? The scene went to Trunks. The dude even got his own special transformation that put him on Goku level.

Vegito weakened Merged Zamasu so Trunks could cut him in half. So he wasn't worthless.

The point here is that Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks were all main character last arc. Goku got Zamasu on his path to become Black. Vegeta was emotional support for Trunks and trained him. And Trunks was the one who risked everything. They all played off each other.

ElFly

I don't know why you are measuring accomplishments in just beating the final bad guy

by this metric, only Krillin, Goku and Gohan ever did anything in DBZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom