• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

caliph95

Honestly if we look at all the other universes participate in the tournament that isn't 6 7 or 11, it would be fair to say that Ribrianne is probably the most memorable out of all the fighters. It isn't saying much mind you considering circumstances, but at least we've seen her do something in comparison to U9 falling over dead in one episode and U10 getting picked off randomly. I can't even recall any fighters in U3 or U4 worth talking about while U2 at least has had some memorable characters (and one of them almost got brutally murdered by Frieza, so there's that. Hell, you'd think that Ribrianne would go after either 17 or especially Frieza after what happened. Going after Goku just feels silly if he hasn't really done anything as drastic as those two in comparison).
For better or worse I agree
What is Ribrianne adding to the story at this point? Nothing, she just interrupts the thing you do want to see. Started great, but yeah, super overstayed her welcome.
She's comedic relief

Espada

It was more me saying I can't believe you find her more interesting than the U6 girls. I don't dislike Ribrianne nearly as much as a lot of people clearly do, but I wouldn't go that far. Anyways, just disappointed she isn't a behemoth strength-wise, but I guess her being a troll isn't so bad.

I said she's more fun than them, not that I find her more interesting. Her character and how she's been presented has led to more scenes where her interactions have made me smile or
Skeeter49 said:
I hope Frieza narrates the NEP
This would be amazing.

I just don't get why some people want even more Saiyans for the main cast when we already have Goten and Trunks who have been sidelined for most of Super so far. Toriyama/ Toei should just make them relevant again instead of introducing even more Saiyans. Especially when one of them is a straight Broly copy devoid of any personality.

Isn't Broly devoid of any personality just Broly? I may not like Kale's personality, but it's definitely better than Broly's.

She's comedic relief

It's not funny anymore.

Anth0ny

She might not be adding much to the story but she's charming as fuck.

I for one can't wait for the 5 episode filler arc that follows Ribrianne through Universe 2, and all of the love filled adventures she goes on!

Skeeter49

I said she's more fun than them, not that I find her more interesting. Her character and how she's been presented has led to more scenes where her interactions have made me smile or
This would be amazing.

Frieza's narration.
:
"Vegeta, how could you do this. After everything we've been through, you'd betray me and this team for that trash. Goku, Vegeta is a liability, and for the sake of our universe, I True Golden Frieza must stop him. Next Time On Dragon Ball Super. Don't Miss it."

cordy

Banned
Speaking of Goten, I wouldn't be surprised if after the tournament he, Trunks and Marron are suddenly taller outta nowhere. Someone will bring it up like Jazz when he said Aunt Viv looked different.

anigif_enhanced-11530-1412976036-23.gif

CazTGG

What is Ribrianne adding to the story at this point? Nothing, she just interrupts the thing you do want to see. Started great, but yeah, super overstayed her welcome.

Love, obviously.

I hope Vegeta eliminates her next episode so we can be done with her.

Espada

Frieza's narration.
:
"Vegeta, how could you do this. After everything we've been you, you'd betray me and this team for that trash. Goku, Vegeta is a liability, and for the sake of our universe, I True Golden Frieza must stop him. Next Time On Dragon Ball Super. Don't Miss it."

Careful or you might just make Frieza far and away the best character in the tournament arc. They leave him out for big chunks, but when they put a spotlight on him they nail the character.

Skeeter49

I mean, this arc has been a good attempt at stepping away from the Goku show. People have liked the non Goku centric episodes, so I think that does speak volumes for the future of Super.

This was a good first step for the future where I assume they'll do more without Goku.

Big One

Banned
That's never been done in any shonen before
Stop it kagari
One Piece is actually the perfect example of this, though. A lot of crazy shit goes on without Luffy getting involved in it, even when it isn't his downtime ala the timeskip. Of course this is to blame for Oda wanting to cram in as much plot points as he possibly can to advance the story further, lol.

Pretty much.

It's limiting for everything to revolve around the main character. Especially in a long running series.
The main problem I see is that all the super arcs so far all have this once central focus and since goku is always in the middle of it all it goes of the impression of the goku show. There’s not a lot of jumping around to anywhere all the characters are usually in this one set place all together and when that happens the Mc is gonna get most of the shine

One Piece is actually the perfect example of this, though. A lot of crazy shit goes on without Luffy getting involved in it, even when it isn't his downtime ala the timeskip. Of course this is to blame for Oda wanting to cram in as much plot points as he possibly can to advance the story further, lol.
I was being mad sarcastic with that post btw

I wouldn't say anything that happens in the main plot happens without Luffy. Background, world-building stuff? Sure.

Then again, Dragonball is not a story with a big expansive world with a bunch of moving parts. Not that it has to be.

Rutger

Banned
The main problem I see is that all the super arcs so far all have this once central focus and since goku is always in the middle of it all it goes of the impression of the goku show. There’s not a lot of jumping around to anywhere all the characters are usually in this one set place all together and when that happens the Mc is gonna get most of the shine
Yeah, one of Super's problem is that its arcs are not structured in a way that lets its cast do a lot.

I don't think the writers aren't trying, but there's plenty of room for improvement still.

Honestly if we look at all the other universes participate in the tournament that isn't 6 7 or 11, it would be fair to say that Ribrianne is probably the most memorable out of all the fighters.
The most annoying, at most.
Have people already forgotten those guys?
dragon_ball_super_trio_de_dangers_3_by_giuseppedirosso-dbevccc.jpg

They were taken from us way before their time ;_;

Skeeter49

This is why it’ll hurt y’all more it’ll happen in a shorter time span look at poor cabba already
The only interesting thing Cabba had going for him was introducing us to more saiyans.

I do want to see his relationship with Caulifla's brother. Besides that, Sadala, and his relationship with Vegeta are the only things he has going for him. That's not much, and when his most interesting dynamic is with Vegeta, that's an issue.

Yeah, one of Super's problem is that its arcs are not structured in a way that lets its cast do a lot.

I don't think the writers aren't trying, but there's plenty of room for improvement still.

Every Z arc took Goku out of the picture and introduced the new threat through the supporting cast.

BoG and RoF pulled it off.

They came, they made their impression, they made their impression again and then they went away. We'd be giving these guys (and their GoD) the same Ribrianne complaints if they were still around.

Skeeter49

I'll never forget Basil.

Bergamo and Lavender are pretty bland.

Lavender feels like he'd fit more in U4, I do like his poison ability, and his desire to kill.

Scratch it. Bergamo is trash. Lavender and Basil are aight.

Big One

Banned
I wouldn't say anything that happens in the main plot happens without Luffy. Background, world-building stuff? Sure. .
There's actually a lot more shit than you think:

- The Payback War (basically Blackbeard Pirates vs. remaining Whitebeard Pirates), Blackbeard became one of the Four Emperors that way.
- Four of Luffy's rivals going into Big Mom's territory and getting wrecked. We actually see Urouge recovering from that battle in a chapter released two years ago in publication in the chapter that introduces Kaidou, despite his encounter with Big Mom not being mentioned till much later.
- Aokiji vs. Akainu's battle on Punk Hazard to determine who would take Sengoku's place that last 10 days straight. Akainu became Fleet Admiral due to this.
- Blackbeard's raid of the Revolutionary Army HQ.

There's a multitude of other examples, but every single one of these events are major events that affect the course and direction of the story that could've been entire arcs in of themselves if Oda really wanted to do that. Of course that isn't including all of the various atrocities and wars that are being waged across the One Piece world as well, which is happening co-currently with the main cast and Luffy isn't doing anything about it due to having his own ambitions. If it was Dragonball the ONLY islands that would be facing problems would be the ones Luffy is currently in. Kind of like how in the Namek arc the ONLY planet facing a planet-destruction event is Namek and it's from the literal Emperor of the Universe.

Top Bottom