• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Reset

Ultimate Gohan sucks now.

The whole point was that he didn't need to power up or transform or anything. All his latent power was just there.

Now he has to transform to get the bang and even then he doesn't seem extraordinary strong.

Them getting rid of the bang as his base look was a mistake.
Dude also looks like complete garbage in every episode. Gohan would have been better off if he didn't get any screen time in Super like his brother.

Gin-Shiio

Dude also looks like complete garbage in every episode. Gohan would have been better off if he didn't get any screen time in Super like his brother.

It's strange. Out of all characters, they have had the hardest time nailing his face. Kind of mind-boggling actually.

HeroR

I think he means kibito kai

I guess, but I don't see what different Kibito Kai makes to the story compared to Shin and Kibito. Also, most of the themes from the Buu Saga carried over from Super since the Buu Saga introduced the entire upper god level.

If you want to talk about a story arc with little overall impact to the lore of Dragon Ball, look no further than the Cell Saga to the point that no one really remembers the villain of that arc and still used Frieza as the bench mark for the Buu Saga. Only Future Trunks remained important thanks the Future Trunks Saga and the androids only got spotlight recently after decades of being forgotten (Super 17 notwithstanding). Sheesh, no one doesn't even remember 16, one of the few characters to remain dead.

I guess, but I don't see what different Kibito Kai makes to the story compared to Shin and Kibito. Also, most of the themes from the Buu Saga carried over from Super since the Buu Saga introduced the entire upper god level.

If you want to talk about a story arc with little overall impact to the lore of Dragon Ball, look no further than the Cell Saga to the point that no one really remembers the villain of that arc and still used Frieza as the bench mark for the Buu Saga. Only Future Trunks remained important thanks the Future Trunks Saga and the androids only got spotlight recently after decades of being forgotten (Super 17 notwithstanding). Sheesh, no one doesn't even remember 16, one of the few characters to remain dead.

well they at lest compared Dabura to perfect cell lol

They can do that with regular dbs.

they can't because he's a machine with no soul

HeroR

well they at lest compared Dabura to perfect cell lol

they can't because he's a machine with no soul

That would be cool, if Dabura didn't exists to be eating by Buu to show that Buu sees the major villain of the last story arc as a midnight snack.

They can used the Dragon Balls to repair 16 since he's just a machine with a program.

That would be cool, if Dabura didn't exists to be eating by Buu to show that Buu sees the major villain of the last story arc as a midnight snack.

They can used the Dragon Balls to repair 16 since he's just a machine with a program.
not saying it was glamorous lol

they can't revive him though, can they?

It's strange. Out of all characters, they have had the hardest time nailing his face. Kind of mind-boggling actually.

Yup. Dude looks likes he's balding.

Maybe he is? Who knows.

It's just weird how little he seems to care. He's always been about rising up to the challenge, the Saiyans, Namek, Androids, Cell, Buu...

Yes, he had his down time between Cell and Buu but in the Buu saga he tries to help the Supreme Kai until he gets taken out and trains with the Z sword / Old Kai.

That's when he fades to irrelevance I suppose. You'd think he'd have all the motivation in the world now that he's a dad, and there have been glimmers of his potential here and there but he's still pointless while Goku is around.

HeroR

not saying it was glamorous lol

they can't revive him though, can they?

I don't see why not. I mean, the Dragon Balls repair machines and stuff when Kid Buu nuked the Earth and 16 is just a very complex machine. What I find funny that no one even considered or humored bringing 16 back after Goku said he didn't want to be revived. Not even Gohan who was largely responsible for 16's death and what was the final triggered for him to go Super Saiyan 2.

Kind of a dick move on Gohan's part, actually.

Maybe he is? Who knows.

It's just weird how little he seems to care. He's always been about rising up to the challenge, the Saiyans, Namek, Androids, Cell, Buu...

Yes, he had his down time between Cell and Buu but in the Buu saga he tries to help the Supreme Kai until he gets taken out and trains with the Z sword / Old Kai.

That's when he fades to irrelevance I suppose. You'd think he'd have all the motivation in the world now that he's a dad, and there have been glimmers of his potential here and there but he's still pointless while Goku is around.

That's because as a fighter, potential is the only thing Gohan has going for him. Gohan is by far the most boring fighter in the series (I mean purely as a fighter, not a character). He isn't clever or fun like Goku and Krillin. He isn't a thinker filled with wisdom like Piccolo and Roshi. He isn't pragmatic like Future Trunks. He isn't a hype active goofball like Goten, Trunks, and Gotenks. He isn't filled with pride and give funny one-liner like Vegeta or even Frieza. He's not cool and detract like 17 and 18. Heck, he isn't even a lovable loser like Yamcha. Gohan is just there as a fighter with his only thing being having a lot of potential.

It's hard to care about someone like that as a fighter. As a child, he thing was inexperience, pamper kid being put through the fire and showing burst of power in a pinch, which reached its natural conclusion in the Cell Games. As an adult, he really doesn't have that gimmick. The TOP made this worst since he seemed to be demoted to Piccolo's partner, which also brings Piccolo down too since he can't shine on his own. The one time he did get alone time, he gets stomped by a technique that he really should know or have an idea how to counter.

TLDR: Gohan is a boring fighter and has been for a long time.

Maybe he is? Who knows.

The biggest problem with him is that they haven't developed him a personality beyond MUH Family.

I also wish they would separate him from Piccolo, so he could do something different besides being a human shield for Gohan and do stuff on his own.

The biggest problem with him is that they haven't developed him a personality beyond MUH Family.

I also wish they would separate him from Piccolo, so he could do something different besides being a human shield for Gohan and do stuff on his own.

We saw what happens when he goes out on his own 👀

Morlas

giphy.gif

HeroR

Ultimate Gohan is way better than he used to be. No arrogance, more power, on par with SSBKK... He has it all.

Even the narrator never claimed that. His power is at best on par with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku, despite Goku holding him off with Super Saiyan 2.

I would take arrogant Gohan even now since he has no real personality as things stand now. He's just there.

At least he has the hardest punch in DBS

What reference are you making?

HeroR

I have no clue why I forgot that, especially since it's the best fight Gohan had as an adult, just because of what a ruthless MF Gohan was.

Shame that didn't carry over to the TOP.

gohan should be more like jiren

arrogant but keeping his guard up

arrogant gohan is best gohan

Gohan doesn't quite have the power to back up that level of arrogance, but I see where you're coming from. It would be cool if he was a bit like the Kaku from One Piece.

And your post kind of remains me why I really don't like Jiren that much. Unlike most here, I actually don't mind his lack of personality or him being stoic. He remains me of Lucci.

My problem with Jiren is the same problem I nave with Toppo. This guy threw his team to the wolves at least twice, with the most standout example being how he let Hit and Goku beat the crap out of Dypso and ring out one of his teammates when they were already hurting members after the Kale and Cali fiasco. I mean, Jiren could have rung out both Goku and Hit without trying which would have weakened U6 and U7 and kept their numbers up since the tournament will be determine on who has the most members remaining if there's anyone left in the ring. And he did it again in this episode since despite his overwhelming power, he rung out only one person, failed to break the other universe's' spirits, and while he badly injured Goku, he's still in the ring and will count as part of U7's score if they make it to the end. Jiren should also know that U7 still have several members who can threatened Dypso and Toppo since he should have sensed Vegeta in Blue and Frieza's brief time as Golden Frieza, yet decides not to take them out even if they are no personal challenged to him, but would be trouble for his remaining teammates.

Overall, despite being part of a super hero team, Jiren isn't a team player and he has a 'all about me' personality which fits a common Dragon Ball villain, but is out of place for what he's supposed to be. Hit, a freaking assassin that Jiren looked down on, did more for his team than Jiren did for his, and he worked with these people all the time with Toppo supposedly being his 'swore friend'. Hell, Frieza is a better team player than Jiren.

HeroR

Is not being able to sense God ki still a thing?

A mortal can sense god ki once they reached a certain level. Like Piccolo and all the humans can't sense god ki, neither could Gohan in Episode 71. But Frieza after training can sense god ki along with Hit. Future Trunks also went from being unable to sense god ki to sensing Vegito Blue after he gained Super Saiyan Rage that put him on par with Goku and Vegeta.

I have no clue why I forgot that, especially since it's the best fight Gohan had as an adult, just because of what a ruthless MF Gohan was.

Shame that didn't carry over to the TOP.

Gohan doesn't quite have the power to back up that level of arrogance, but I see where you're coming from. It would be cool if he was a bit like the Kaku from One Piece.

And your post kind of remains me why I really don't like Jiren that much. Unlike most here, I actually don't mind his lack of personality or him being stoic. He remains me of Lucci.

My problem with Jiren is the same problem I nave with Toppo. This guy threw his team to the wolves at least twice, with the most standout example being how he let Hit and Goku beat the crap out of Dypso and ring out one of his teammates when they were already hurting members after the Kale and Cali fiasco. I mean, Jiren could have rung out both Goku and Hit without trying which would have weakened U6 and U7 and kept their numbers up since the tournament will be determine on who has the most members remaining if there's anyone left in the ring. And he did it again in this episode since despite his overwhelming power, he rung out only one person, failed to break the other universe's' spirits, and while he badly injured Goku, he's still in the ring and will count as part of U7's score if they make it to the end. Jiren should also know that U7 still have several members who can threatened Dypso and Toppo since he should have sensed Vegeta in Blue and Frieza's brief time as Golden Frieza, yet decides not to take them out even if they are no personal challenged to him, but would be trouble for his remaining teammates.

Overall, despite being part of a super hero team, Jiren isn't a team player and he has a 'all about me' personality which fits a common Dragon Ball villain, but is out of place for what he's supposed to be. Hit, a freaking assassin that Jiren looked down on, did more for his team than Jiren did for his, and he worked with these people all the time with Toppo supposedly being his 'swore friend'. Hell, Frieza is a better team player than Jiren.

i agree, i don't mind Jiren's stoicism either. I think you are spot on about his lack of teamwork. there is a part of me that enjoys how Jiren is just an asshole to everyone, including his teammates, but at the same time, i guess it doesn't really matter to Jiren whether Toppo or Dyspo gets eliminated, because if need be he could just eliminate everyone in the last minute of the tournament.

I do think it is extremely foolish and arrogant of him to leave Goku in the ring though. I guess he has to learn the same lesson Gohan has time and again though.

Is not being able to sense God ki still a thing?

i would say yes, since Krillin couldn't tell Goku was using Kaioken x 20 against Jiren

but HeroR is right about being able to once you reach a certain level.

Jiren is confident enough in his strength to not give a fuck. It's been justified so far.

Of course it'll come back to bite him im the butt later so I'm not saying it is completely not a problem, but yeah.

Or maybe they actually end up winning anyway, who knows...

HeroR

Jiren is confident enough in his strength to not give a fuck. It's been justified so far.

Of course it'll come back to bite him im the butt later so I'm not saying it is completely not a problem, but yeah.

Or maybe they actually end up winning anyway, who knows...

Which is odd since he's part of a super hero team and his supposedly Toppo's sworn friend. Yet when his teammates were in trouble, he couldn't even be bother to tell Toppo that maybe he should go down and help.

And U11 seems to be filled with idiots with Jiren's mindset since both the gods are like 'we won, no one can challenged Jiren' and I'm like, 'You have the less amount of people on the field, morons. You're in the most danger since every universe have more members than you'. It's this attitude that got U11 to lose five members all at once.

Which is odd since he's part of a super hero team and his supposedly Toppo's sworn friend. Yet when his teammates were in trouble, he couldn't even be bother to tell Toppo that maybe he should go down and help.

And U11 seems to be filled with idiots with Jiren's mindset since both the gods are like 'we won, no one can challenged Jiren' and I'm like, 'You have the less amount of people on the field, morons. You're in the most danger since every universe have more members than you'. It's this attitude that got U11 to lose five members all at once.

He's definitely not the best team player. I think what you're saying here goes into the "confident enough to not give a fuck" category.

what if jiren was going to get destroyed by belmod but toppo was like "that guy is crazy strong, let him work for us"

so in reality jiren doesnt give a fuck about justice, he just does it so he wont get destroyed

also, the whole "mortal that a GoD cant beat" doesnt really make a lot of sense. Belmod could just hakai him, no? I mean they probably mean in a straight fight, but still

HeroR

He's definitely not the best team player. I think what you're saying here goes into the "confident enough to not give a fuck" category.

If it was just Jiren, fine. But his entire universe?

what if jiren was going to get destroyed by belmod but toppo was like "that guy is crazy strong, let him work for us"

so in reality jiren doesnt give a fuck about justice, he just does it so he wont get destroyed

also, the whole "mortal that a GoD cant beat" doesnt really make a lot of sense. Belmod could just hakai him, no? I mean they probably mean in a straight fight, but still

That is No-Limit Fallacy. If Haki works on anyone regardless of power, Beerus would be able to Haki the Grand Priest.

Flaws are what make characters interesting and compelling. I don't get the obsession with characters overcoming thier flaws and becoming better people, losing thier personality in the process.

Gohan is my favorite DB character period, and while I'm so happy with him returning as a major player, I'd take arrogant Ultimate Gohan, dorky high school Gohan, or even Sadistic cell saga Gohan over the plain Gohan we're having now.

I have similar feelings toward the Super incarnations of Vegeta (even if he's inconsistent in this regard) and Piccolo, too. Freeza is the most interesting and compelling character this tournament, because he's flawed, layered, and unexpected.

HeroR

Grand priest isnt a mortal though

But it was never said that Haki works only on mortals. In fact, we know it doesn't since Beerus Haki Zamasu.

My point being is that we never seen Haki worked on anyone equal or stronger than the god using it, and thinking it works on any mortal regardless of power is a No-Limit Fallacy. In fact, we know a mortal can overpowered Haki since Frieza did it, even if it was just a small sample.

I suppose.

Is he confident to a fault? Arguably so, but there's your explanation lol.

I can understand that perfectly, but my problem is that everyone in U11 seems to be like Jiren with no sane man pointing out the obvious, much like what Vados does for U6. Well, maybe the U11 angel who wondered about Jiren fighting Goku being a good idea. Which is odd when I think about it, since she has no such problem with Jiren fighting Hit.

Ultimate Gohan sucks now.

The whole point was that he didn't need to power up or transform or anything. All his latent power was just there.

Now he has to transform to get the bang and even then he doesn't seem extraordinary strong.

Them getting rid of the bang as his base look was a mistake.

Yeah but the "Ultimate" power up was just the Ultimate from the Kai perspective, which is shit tier now

Top Bottom