• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

I am talking about the TOP specifically. Gohan was doing well until the tournament started. Then he disappeared into blandness and his fights have been the most lackluster with only Tien and Piccolo's fights being worse.

Exhibition Match Gohan stood out since he was still unsure about his power and gave interesting commentary from the sidelines. That and he had probably his best fight in the series.

If you mean banter wise, yeah personality would effect things, but I think he could still have well coreographed fights.

If Gohan isn't talkin arrogance, then he aint talkin much. But honestly I think they could still have given him good dialogue with other charcters if they just focused more on it. I could have seen him having more substantial interactions with Obouni (or however you spell that), and I think there is potential with him and Toppo.

HeroR

If you mean banter wise, yeah personality would effect things, but I think he could still have well coreographed fights.

If Gohan isn't talkin arrogance, then he aint talkin much. But honestly I think they could still have given him good dialogue with other charcters if they just focused more on it. I could have seen him having more substantial interactions with Obouni (or however you spell that), and I think there is potential with him and Toppo.

It's not just banter. How to explained this?

When a character fights, their personality comes through. Like I personally find Vegeta's fighting style boring since he uses brute force and an energy attack 90% of the time, but they're still fun to watch because of Vegeta's personality. Namely, his trash talk and how he acts when things don't go his way.

Goku is fun to watch since he tends to be very playful and used agility type movements.

Krillin is a wise-cracking goofball.

Gohan....when he isn't uncertain, there's nothing there. The only personality he has shown while fighting when he isn't uncertain is arrogance, and it isn't even the fun kind of arrogance we get from Vegeta. It's the, I'm going to quietly beat you up and make you suffer despite having the power to one-shot you.

It also doesn't help that Gohan has only really interactive with Piccolo. At least 108 gave Gohan dealing with Frieza, which is interesting since Frieza shot holes through him and killed his mentor a few arcs ago. I mean, he has no real interaction with U6 until the Namekians. Why didn't he talked to Hit despite Hit 'killing' his father? He doesn't know that Goku put the hit on himself. Why he didn't talk to the U6 Saiyans since he never seen a female Saiyan either? Even his interaction with Frost was filtered through Frieza and his personal experience.

LaNaranja

Gohan's best moment so far remains saving Krillin from that bird.

5X3IM0T.gif

The tournaments top three most interesting fighters so far have been Hit, Roshi, and Kale, in that order. I am no too worried about Gohan though. I'm sure they are planning something big for him to do.

Slaythe

"He doesn't know Goku put the hit on himself"

Yeah so if they had time to talk about U6 and come up with strategies ( botamo ), im sure he's up to date.

Anyway I'm sure they're gonna give Gohan something big, but it better be within logic and not at the expense of other characters this time. :/

RocknRola

"He doesn't know Goku put the hit on himself"

Yeah so if they had time to talk about U6 and come up with strategies ( botamo ), im sure he's up to date.

Anyway I'm sure they're gonna give Gohan something big, but it better be within logic and not at the expense of other characters this time. :/

Piccolo's sole existance in Super is mostly to provide Gohan a reason to do something :p In other words, expect Piccolo to get screwed (or lose an arm or two lol).

88random

I'm pretty sure Hit told Cabba & co to let him finish the job because he had Jiren time stopped in his dimension (that purple glow), they probably couldn't even touch him.

Gohan's best moment so far remains saving Krillin from that bird.

5X3IM0T.gif

The tournaments top three most interesting fighters so far have been Hit, Roshi, and Kale, in that order. I am no too worried about Gohan though. I'm sure they are planning something big for him to do.

When this happened I thought Gohan was gonna be absolutely badass for the duration of the ToP and continue his "badass cool guy arrogant" look he got back during the fight with Goku... nope, done literally nothing.

J-Skee

Okay, I need to know more about Jiren. What is his day-to-day like? Does he just sit around meditating all day? Dude is a monster & I would like to know how he got to that point.

Skii

When this happened I thought Gohan was gonna be absolutely badass for the duration of the ToP and continue his "badass cool guy arrogant" look he got back during the fight with Goku... nope, done literally nothing.

Only half way through the tournament...

People gushing over Frieza but going after Gohan lol.

I-hate-u

Someone posted some other gifs earlier, here's two I made.
fNRwefd.gif

TIcIyCe.gif

It was really cool seeing someone fight against Hit's Time-Skip in real time like that,

Such an improvement over early Super days.

If anyone complains about the art in Super in the DBZ F threads, these are gifs to use. Thanks for them Arched.

Skii

If anyone complains about the art in Super in the DBZ F threads, these are gifs to use. Thanks for them Arched.

I'm sure people will dismiss them simply because of flurry punches being in those gifs. Impossible to please anyone criticising DBZ/DBS animation even though its weekly.

Puruzi

Banned
I wonder if Krillin could Kill Jiren with the destructo disk. I know killing isn't allowed in the tournament but it'd be hilarious if Jiren was chilling out meditating and then he just got sliced

ajim

fNRwefd.gif

TIcIyCe.gif

It was really cool seeing someone fight against Hit's Time-Skip in real time like that,
Jiren is so bad ass. I love how he just learned to counter time skip on the fly.

'so this is time skip', understands it and then goodbye Hit.

Dude is a killing machine.

Skii

I wonder if Krillin could Kill Jiren with the destructo disk. I know killing isn't allowed in the tournament but it'd be hilarious if Jiren was chilling out meditating and then he just got sliced

Well its just an energy attack and it took the spirit bomb just to get a response from Jiren lol.

brinstar

It doesn't matter what gif you show folks aren't looking to have their minds changed in those threads

Zalman

I like the big Namekian. The skinny one looks too much like Piccolo. But then again, so did Nail. Cool that they have a slightly different color.

Kevinroc

We already had our tree of might representation,Cooler and broly
Now finally lord slug gets his shine in super
lord-slug-dragon-ball-z-lord-slug-0.13.jpg

When’s garlic jr

Are we going to get more androids in Super or is DBFZ taking care of that for us?

(I hope they didn't waste their Hirudegarn stand-in during the recruitment arc. Goku and co. fighting a kaiju would be fun to see again.)

His name is Shantsa
I can see that
Universe 3 can replace androids 13,14&15

Now we need tapion and Hirudegarn

Are we going to get more androids in Super or is DBFZ taking care of that for us?

(I hope they didn't waste their Hirudegarn stand-in during the recruitment arc. Goku and co. fighting a kaiju would be fun to see again.)
Forgot about Android 21...ehhh just make her canon eventually there ya go

Just saw the latest episode and dear lord is Ribrianne annoying. She only exists to piss off the viewer at this point if you ask me. She's a weakling and should've been eliminated ages ago but for some reason the writing staff keeps her around. She isn't funny or interesting and just gets in the way of shit you actually want to see.

If Freeza attacks Vegeta next week I'll be pissed. I hope that ending preview was a glimpse of him going after Cabba.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm sure people will dismiss them simply because of flurry punches being in those gifs. Impossible to please anyone criticising DBZ/DBS animation even though its weekly.

Flurry punches, static backgrounds, “shakycam” - unfortunately DBS watchers are so hungry for actual animation that any animation seems above average.

Kyzer

Banned
Most people don't analyze the animation tbh, a lot of people in here are like DBZ connoisseurs, and analyze and critique the writing like it's fine wine or classic literature, and appreciate the details in animation and which teams write/plan which episode because they're into that stuff. Imo it's usually completely at odds with the nonsensical nature of DBZ and how cartoony and fanfictiony the level of writing in DB is in the first place. It's also hilarious when there's pages and pages of debates about the logic of minutia in the series as if the show has been a masterclass display of how to write up until that moment, or people severely disappointed that the show turns out to just be a fun cartoon, or better yet when people over analyze literally single frame shots and extrapolate on a characters facial expression to be a hidden detail by the writers to foreshadow an event and begin theory crafting around it (like the rat smiling during Jiren v Goku), as if DBS has a meticulous frame by frame direction with hints and layers and everything is as well planned out as a better call Saul episode or something. It's fun to be around for though, I like to see how some people do mental gymnastics to rationalize the show and go back to thinking everything was on purpose, explainable, and thoroughly genius. And not you know, outlined by a dude who forgets he wrote shit and admitted he makes things up as he goes along.

HardRojo

Love the U6 Namekians designs and color, though the gloves look a bit off on the bulkier one, maybe a different color of gloves would look better.

LordOfChaos

TIcIyCe.gif

The way this fight showed it made so much more sense than the U6 tournament arc. Hit skips time, appears somewhere else, but Jiren is fast enough (and possibly mind reading/future predicting) to be there to block or attack the microsecond Hit is there.

The U6 tournament was really weird about it. "I can skip 5 seconds now" "lol I'm faster than time". The Manga made more sense, a persons power level influences how long they can be frozen so it was just outpowered.

M.D

U6 ain't going nowhere guys

There's only 15 fighters left that are not from universe 6, 7 and 11 and out of those the only one who has been given significant screen time up until now is Ribrianne and the only other ones who are hinted at having any relevance are the U4 bugs and possibly the U3 robots merging

Y'all gonna tell me U6 is about to get erased right now and then what? If that happens what then? There are barely any fighters worth mentioning left after that from the other universes, so either the rest of these fighters gonna get ringed out together by Jiren faring in general their direction or are they going to continue the tournament for how many more episodes with Goku fighting irrelevant fodder characters in base form?

Top Bottom