• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Regarding Jiren, I can't recall if I heard this theory here or somewhere else but since some called him a Superman expy then has anyone else thought from what was mentioned about his wish that he could potentially be a survivor from one of the erased universes?
Yes that's been brought up

NeonZ

That's a bit of trivia I had not heard about. Movie 12 actually premiered before Vegetto in the manga?

I'm not sure about the premiere dates, but here's the quote I'm talking about.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/daizenshuu-6-akira-toriyama-super-interview/

What about the concept of the Potara?
That was simply, since Fusion was a plot point that was already taken by one of the movies, I was wondering what I should do; I had always been drawing earrings [on Kaiōshin], so I thought, “perhaps I can use these”…

Had you drawn them from the beginning, thinking that you’d use them as a fusion item?
No, not at all. They were just for decoration.

So they were just a fortuitous coincidence, then.
I’m always crossing perilous bridges like that. (laughs) But, just as I’ve been driven into a corner, it’s like my brain waves go taut, and some sort of idea bubbles up. Also, I’m good at forcing things to stretch. (laughs)

There's no way they'd not only bother with a time limit, but constantly reference it across the episodes if they didn't intend for a team to win with numbers. DBZ isn't really known for red herrings outside of episode previews. I just hope they show UI Goku is as strong or stronger than Jiren in their rematch before it ends with a time out. It would be lame for him to get a new form of sorts and no real impact in the arc he gains it in (aside from reactions). He of course can and will train to get better with it but the rate he was learning on the fly last time, it wouldn't make sense for him to not meet Jiren's level or really, beyond it a bit. He was just starting to overtake Jiren at the end of the fight before powering out of UI and while Jiren likely can muster more power, the point is Goku was rapidly learning to use this form and will only get stronger himself and at an accelerated rate. It should be a close, good fight in the rematch and the time running out will allow them to remain rivals which will prove interesting in the future after Goku inevitably wishes all the universes back so he can keep fighting strong opponents. I bet he asks for this tournament to happen each year too and that will provide incentive for the Zenos to keep the universes around, for their amusement.

I was hoping Gohan would fight Toppo as his big fight though but Vegeta is the other natural choice (or Frieza). Frieza would actually be great because he'd be the perfect counterbalance to Toppo's justice and would elicit some funny responses and behavior out of Toppo. Now that I think of it, if Vegeta is fighting Toppo, what worthy opponent will fight Gohan and Frieza? It would be a shame if the time runs out before they get proper fights but none of the remaining fighters seem up to snuff. I guess characters will be as strong as the plot asks them to be ;p We haven't seen the invisible fighters yet (pun intended ;p) but would they hide all tournament if they were that strong? It's a viable strategy and all but taking out weaker fighters keeps their teammates in it so...we'll see.

Hype Man

Neo Member
Regarding Jiren, I can't recall if I heard this theory here or somewhere else but since some called him a Superman expy then has anyone else thought from what was mentioned about his wish that he could potentially be a survivor from one of the erased universes?

I've read speculation that he's not only a survivor, but a GoD from an erased universe and wants to wish it back. Which explains the massive strength. Only problem is that ppl should recognize him, unless he's like a thousand years old lol

Ingeniero

Toppo, Jiren, Goku, Vegeta remain, 2 minutes to go.
Shin throws in the earings, Zeno says its ok.
Vegeta and Goku fuse.
Vegito has a badass fight vs both opponents.
Toppo is ringed out with a Final Kamehameha x9999.

Vegito Ultra takes on Jiren on an all out battle.
He uses too much power, they defuse, ToP time ends.
U7 2 fighters vs Jiren.
U7 wins.
Jiren cries.
The end.

ajim

I'd rather believe Jiren is simply a special warrior. Like Goku and Toppo and others.
Definitely. Just a super powerful dude.

I like the idea of him not being defeated in this tournament, and u7 winning by having more fighters remaining or some other reason.

AdanVC

the only reason to why jiren is so damn overpowered is because
ff39d9865b975e50204556b5a4f31a6015bb93968d2fb3391ae2a83bcc25c26d.jpg

jillytot

I predict Jiren or someone else inconsequential wins, and whoever that is wishes all the other universes back.

That isn't before going into some kind of overtime, sudden death, or tie breaker.

Most of the previous tournaments in the old dragon ball ended up with a Goku loss. It'll give Goku motivation to actually train to beat Jiren, and create the opportunity for a lot of inter-universal conflict.

Jaeger

Most of the previous tournaments in the old dragon ball ended up with a Goku loss. It'll give Goku motivation to actually train to beat Jiren, and create the opportunity for a lot of inter-universal conflict.

This is what I'm looking forward to most.

cm osi

This has not been shown to be true.

At all.
Especially since the Whis training.

Goku and Vegeta waxed him hard before. The brief sparring match they had since Frieza got out was even at best because it was limited to one blow.

But dude got so salty at Vegeta he blew up Earth rather than lose. He's gotten stronger, but so have both of them. I'll take Whis training over forced murder fantasies.

he probably is at least stronger than vegeta. not up to ssb kaioh x10 but he managed to manipulate god of destruction energy, while goku sbb ( i think) couldn't.

for what we know, vegeta is just normal ssb

draetenth

Is it wrong that I lurk this thread and spoil myself even though I'm only able to watch it as it airs on Toonami (so I'm just now actually watching the very first tournament Universe 6 vs 7). I have no willpower. :(

I'm definitely enjoying everything though and can't wait until tv catches up...

Shouta

Is it wrong that I lurk this thread and spoil myself even though I'm only able to watch it as it airs on Toonami (so I'm just now actually watching the very first tournament Universe 6 vs 7). I have no willpower. :(

Aren't they all on Crunchyroll to watch now? You could catch up that unless you can't stream or prefer watching it dubbed.

Otherwise, it's not a bad thing to spoil yourself. Knowing what happens means you won't be surprised but you can still enjoy what's going on. The journey vs the destination, etc.

draetenth

Aren't they all on Crunchyroll to watch now? You could catch up that unless you can't stream or prefer watching it dubbed.

Otherwise, it's not a bad thing to spoil yourself. Knowing what happens means you won't be surprised but you can still enjoy what's going on. The journey vs the destination, etc.

Well, I try to avoid using Flash (mainly because I believe it's a security risk...) which a lot of these streaming sites use so I'm stuck waiting until it comes dubbed...

Agree about the journey vs the destination...
I spoil myself on everything so I learned this a long time ago >.>

Kimawolf

Goku was base form.

True he was baseform, but it was still telling. It's all conjecture at this point, but surely Freiza will get at least one ep where he just dominates someone who was extremely strong. I'm surprised for instance one of the justice boys didn't go after him yet. Surely they sense his power.

ajim

Haha I did this for ages.

But to tell you the truth, it's better if you catch up and get up to date. So much better!

Hype Man

Neo Member
Had a weird dream that Future Trunks comes back in the next arc.

Man, He should've been in THIS arc. I'm sure the Zenos would've overlooked the whole time travel issue in the name of HYPE. Tien was pretty much useless, plus Trunks would've stuck with Gohan's squad and would do great for teamwork. He'd probably rush Jiren before Hit did lol

Kimawolf

I think its interesting though how much stronger all these sayians are than Goku when he was younger. If he'd never went to Snake way he'd be so much weaker than the others in comparison. Just a thought I had watching an old episode of DBZ when he was traveling snake way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Eh. I will give this episode a 6 our of 10. Not great, kind of average.

Average is a good word for it.

I think its interesting though how much stronger all these sayians are than Goku when he was younger. If he'd never went to Snake way he'd be so much weaker than the others in comparison. Just a thought I had watching an old episode of DBZ when he was traveling snake way.

Gohan was already stronger than Goku at his debut.

Swarna

I'm not saying I wasn't already aware that without nostalgia and fondness for the old material, this show is devoid of substance or impact and watches like it was written for 9-year-olds exclusively but damn, you forget for a few episodes and get a rude re-awakening to that fact out of nowhere by episodes like this.

i need to go super saiyan 3
*boom biff pow*
pls go super saiyan 3
*boom biff pow*
wow so stronk
*boom plonk blam*
maybe ull go even higher!!!!
*boom dhoosh*

literal repeat

I don't buy that DB has always been like this. And even if it has, the series deserves better writing and/or portrayal than this. I can dig a simple show. It's not a question of style, but execution here. Probably the worst episode in recent memory, tbh. Made me actually post here post-shower invasion. Proof that music and animations can't elicit enjoyment by themselves.

Overall I didn't think it was a bad episode but it does strengthen my belief that at least U6 will survive in some way with the development they along with Cabba got.

Also while a lot of the characters were off model there was some nice animation bits here and there for some fluidity.

ajim

I enjoyed it a lot.

Big fan of caulifla and Kale. Cauliflas Japanese VA is so good.

And I love berserk Kale. Bad ass. Good to see goku using them to get energy back but also training them at the same time.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't buy that DB has always been like this. And even if it has, the series deserves better writing and/or portrayal than this. I can dig a simple show. It's not a question of style, but execution here. Probably the worst episode in recent memory, tbh. Made me actually post here post-shower invasion. Proof that music and animations can't elicit enjoyment by themselves.

Given the characters involved it makes perfect sense. Goku and Calufla are both fight junkies. It's kinda a relief to see two characters that simply love to fight just do that from time to time.

Even Kale finally understood it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not saying I wasn't already aware that without nostalgia and fondness for the old material, this show is devoid of substance or impact and watches like it was written for 9-year-olds exclusively but damn, you forget for a few episodes and get a rude re-awakening to that fact out of nowhere by episodes like this.

i need to go super saiyan 3
*boom biff pow*
pls go super saiyan 3
*boom biff pow*
wow so stronk
*boom plonk blam*
maybe ull go even higher!!!!
*boom dhoosh*

literal repeat

No, DB has definitely not always been like this.

kunonabi

Kind of lame that Kale and Califla have this much trouble with a weakened Goku when its two on one but oh well. Still, the show did a good job with their fighting styles and thier fused form looks pretty good.

Kale might have my favorite SS design in the whole series. It just looks great in action.

Top Bottom