• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Mory Dunz

Once you get around Dyspo's secret, he folds like a house of cards. Considering that Gohan instantly knew what Freeza was up to in 108, I think he could handle Dyspo and his secret if he took it seriously.
Not sure what Gohan "serious" is supposed to be. Cause he would've got knocked out two episodes ago just like that.

You don't have to care about an antagonist, I don't think anybody gave a shit about Raditz but he was still a threat and felt dangerous

No one cared about Raditz, Goku's lost brother and a sayain, something no one had heard of until then, while introducing a new threat to come in a year?

ok.

Hit used to be like Jiren too, and I didn't like him. But during the fight with Goku you actually got context and an interesting relationship (or dynamic) between the two. Jiren and Goku have no dynamic. Action without context doesn't do it for me.

Mory Dunz

I mean that usually goes hand and hand in a action anime, the thing is jiren backed up his hype they tried to get him over and they did just that and a grand majority of fans agree

Yeah, that's what's been surprising to me.
I guess I'm one of the few or only who thinks nothing has changed since he was introduced and everyone thought he was boring. Back then he was strong, silent, with no real story. And now he's.....crazy strong, silent, with no real story. It's pretty at least. The clown thing with God powers could be interesting but nothing has happened with it yet, and it's been how many episodes....feels like almost a year.

I'll put Gohan above Dypoposo (and even then the Yardrat confirmed he'd have a hard time with that fight), but yeah, definitely not stronger than Toppo, at least not without hitting that new form.

Skeeter49

Finally all fought up to watch last nights ep! Hi wasn’t it supposed to be a 1 hour special? Crunchyroll just has a regular ep.

While it was set up as a 1 hour special, a lot of that was commercials. It was really 2 20 minute episodes. 109 and 110 to be specific. So make sure you watch both.

You can see the bleed in with 110, because 110 doesn't do a recap, it goes straight into the episode.

No one cared about Raditz, Goku's lost brother and a sayain, something no one had heard of until then, while introducing a new threat to come in a year?

You were piqued by Raditz background because he was related to Goku, but did you really care for him as a character?
I bet you didn't, since he kinda just showed up , said "I am your brother" then proceeds to bully a few people and then died a few episodes later.

Yeah, that's what's been surprising to me.
I guess I'm one of the few or only who thinks nothing has changed since he was introduced and everyone thought he was boring. Back then he was strong, silent, with no real story. And now he's.....crazy strong, silent, with no real story. It's pretty at least. The clown thing with God powers could be interesting but nothing has happened with it yet, and it's been how many episodes....feels like almost a year.

They are continually building a mystery around Jiren. Before it was, okay he's strong, I wonder what he can do. I got a little. I got little more. Now I got to watch him show out and wreck Goku (who had this beating coming). And now there is more mystery to him. What's his wish? How did he get so strong? Is he even close to his limit?

They are giving me just enough with Jiren to keep me engaged.

Mory Dunz

You were piqued by Raditz background because he was related to Goku, but did you really care for him as a character? I bet you didn't, since he kinda just showed up and died a few episodes later

yeah, he died in 2 seconds and was still more compelling than Jiren. So not sure why that comparison was brought up lol. Cause if Raditz was around for 30+ episodes....? yeah

Morlas

yeah, he died in 2 seconds and was still more compelling than Jiren. So not sure why that comparison was brought up lol. Cause if Raditz was around for 30+ episodes....? yeah

...nah sometimes i forget Raditz even existed...i ain't gonna forget Jiren....

also this shot is still amazing

tumblr_oxi7dkddzm1rtk7eyo1_r1_500.gif

Syntsui

Raditz had much more exposure than Jiren so far. He was irrelevant, no one gave a fuck. Jiren with like 40 minutes of screen time makes everyone's dick hard.

I wonder what's Toriyama's reasoning for this new form after he specifically made Super Saiyan God the complete opposite of what we were expecting?

Skii

With Dyspo, the issue would be his speed. I guess Gohan could tank the hits to get a hold of him.

I think 17 vs. Dyspo would be a good fight.

Dyspo was only directly countering Hit's ability. It wasnt because he was amazingly strong. Gohan will probably get his big fight with Toppo (I hope).

I just wanna 17 and 18 fight. Its been too damn long.

Jiren is closer to Beerus than Vegeta who was only a little over twice as strong as Goku. Beerus got jumped by all the Z-Fighters, took on Rage Vegeta, and then Super Saiyan God Goku and still had plenty energy left over to wipe everyone without trying. Jiren can do much the same, especially since the Spirt Bomb, which is a teamwork attack, did crap to him.

It's why I brought up Hit, I feel that's the fight that will show if Jiren has a chink in his armor(or creates one) or if he truly has no weaknesses.(my personal opinion is Hit goes down and Jiren just decides to start chilling again and no one has the guts to face him)

and again I wouldn't mind if it ended up like Beerus vs everyone

Mory Dunz

They are continually building a mystery around Jiren. Before it was, okay he's strong, I wonder what he can do. I got a little. I got little more. Now I got to watch him show out and wreck Goku (who had this beating coming). And now there is more mystery to him. What's his wish? How did he get so strong? Is he even close to his limit?

They are giving me just enough with Jiren to keep me engaged.

I don't necessarily disagree. I think he could still be a good character. Heck, he could be the best character of the series.

I just think it's too slow. They needed to give more to make me care about him before the fight. That's my main issue to be honest. And why I didn't care about the fight. It was just pretty. But if it wasn't animated well (tbh, I don't think some of the choreo was great anyway) then they fight would do nothing for me. They've had ~30 episodes to drop little bits and pieces and did nothing. Standing are staring isn't mysterious for me. It just got lame after a while.

Like if Vegeta showed up without barely any context and wrecked the earthlings it would've been like, "um, okay".

But the way they built to it over time (and obviously being a sayain with that whole story) made it compelling. Even though we didn't really see Vegeta until he came.

redfox088

Banned
I just hope the rest of U7 fighters don’t get pushed to the wayside in the coming arcs a la Naruto style. Vegeta needs a different for...shit he can go ss4 for all I care, and Gohan need to get back to channeling rage like the cell saga days. I’m sorry tho how the fuck they bring back my boy future trunks, the androids, freeza, and buu and the skipped prolly the most complex villain in cell? If you gonna bring shit from z back brink back the villain from the best arc (imo)

Skeeter49

Dyspo was only directly countering Hit's ability. It wasnt because he was amazingly strong. Gohan will probably get his big fight with Toppo (I hope).

I just wanna 17 and 18 fight. Its been too damn long.

They'll fight the Namekians after they one shot Piccolo and Frieza.

If Jiren at least had a cool design I'd like him more. But instead I got an OP character who looks like a grey alien from mars went to the gym and does The Incredibles cosplay.

bachikarn

Didn't Goku hold off firing his Spirit Bomb on Kid Buu because Fat Buu was in the way? I'm pretty sure Spirit Bombs can hit anyone like a normal ki attack. It just happens to be more powerful against evil.

I thought if you had a pure heart or whatever, it just reflects off of you? That's what Krillian did back in the day but I'm probably misremembering the specifics.

HardRojo

This shit is pulling amazing numbers on YouTube videos lol. People were thirsty for the special (as if yesterday's problems with simulcast hadn't confirmed that already lol).

I don't necessarily disagree. I think he could still be a good character. Heck, he could be the best character of the series.

I just think it's too slow. They needed to give more to make me care about him before the fight. That's my main issue to be honest. They've had ~30 episodes and done nothing. Standing are staring isn't mysterious for me. It just got lame after a while.

Like if Vegeta showed up without barely any context and wrecked the earthlings it would've been like, "um, okay".

But the way they built to it over time (and obviously being a sayain with that whole story) made it compelling. Even though we didn't really see Vegeta until he came.

That comparison doesn't work because Jiren isn't a villain. Vegeta went to Earth to get the Dragon Balls and participated in the destruction because he's an asshole.

Jiren is fighting to keep his universe alive.

Skeeter49

I wonder when they'll reveal what Jiren's wish is?

It bothers me Goku didn't think to wish for the universes back. Especially when in 99 Goku implied that would be his wish.

redfox088

Banned
I thought if you had a pure heart or whatever, it just reflects off of you? That's what Krillian did back in the day but I'm probably misremembering the specifics.
Krillin threw it Gohan reflected it. Fat buu is far from pure hearted btw. Maybe uub but definitely not fat buu.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wonder when they'll reveal what Jiren's wish is?

It bothers me Goku didn't think to wish for the universes back. Especially when in 99 Goku implied that would be his wish.

Actually, I thought it was nice he thought of Chichi and his sons first.

Mory Dunz

That comparison doesn't work because Jiren isn't a villain. Vegeta went to Earth to get the Dragon Balls and participated in the destruction because he's an asshole.

Jiren is fighting to keep his universe alive.

not sure how that makes the comparison invalid.

They're both fights they've built up to for an entire arc, and at the moment the two are foes. There may not be animosity, but that doesn't matter.

redfox088

Banned
Fat buu is pure hearted. It was when he turned skinny he turned evil.
Nigglette ain’t even share his pudding with the god of destruction and ate himself into a coma instead of trying to save the universe. gluttony/greed is a deadly sin bro buu is far from pure

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
”When the opponent expand, I contract. When he contracts, I expand. And, when there is an opportunity, I do not hit - it hits all by itself."

― Bruce Lee

I guess this is Ultra Instinct

Top Bottom