• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

RAWi

Ultra Instinct Goku's movements and attacks reminded me a lot of Saint Seiya. He went from Ki, to God Ki to Cosmos Ki.

Fj0823

This shit is pulling amazing numbers on YouTube videos lol. People were thirsty for the special (as if yesterday's problems with simulcast hadn't confirmed that already lol).

The best part is that it delivered.

This will do wonders for Super's popularity.

caliph95

Notice me senpai!
Ribranne the tsundare

giphy.gif

I just hope the rest of U7 fighters don’t get pushed to the wayside in the coming arcs a la Naruto style. Vegeta needs a different for...shit he can go ss4 for all I care, and Gohan need to get back to channeling rage like the cell saga days. I’m sorry tho how the fuck they bring back my boy future trunks, the androids, freeza, and buu and the skipped prolly the most complex villain in cell? If you gonna bring shit from z back brink back the villain from the best arc (imo)

There is absolutely zero reason to ever bring Cell back since he has no relivence outside of Earth. We’ve seen everything there is to see about him. Dabra is a villain that should have been explored more. Cell is just a creation with everyone’s moves.

redfox088

Banned
There is absolutely zero reason to ever bring Cell back since he has no relivence outside of Earth. We’ve seen everything there is to see about him. Dabra is a villain that should have been explored more. Cell is just a creation with everyone’s moves.
So why bring back the androids and future trunks? Their Z arcs had no relevance outside of earth.

Ultra Instinct Goku's movements and attacks reminded me a lot of Saint Seiya. He went from Ki, to God Ki to Cosmos Ki.

I wish Goku would come up with new techniques once in a while, like he used to do in DB and DBZ (and the DBZ movies). Now would be the perfect time for one.

tumblr_n21wkoDf1D1saazguo1_400.gif

tumblr_n21wkoDf1D1saazguo2_400.gif

LNBL

He did that after he refused to give him energy. Had nothing to do with protecting, he just happened to do that later.

Vegeta was still standing infront of his opponent as well, might be worth mentioning. All the other z fighters seemed to be out of combat.

Anyhow, I’m perfectly fine with Vegeta giving or not giving energy. He protected goku, which seems more important to me.

Skeeter49

Actually, I thought it was nice he thought of Chichi and his sons first.

In another situation it would be extremely touching, but it's a little off putting in the context of the tournament.

It was a nice Goku moment, I just feel like for Goku the wish should be obvious.

At least we're starting to see different intentions for the Super Dragon Ball's than wishing back the other universes, which can be the stakes for U7 winning.

To go with the Vegeta debate, I think the scene would have been better if Vegeta didn't comment about the Genki Dama, and just went to attack Ribrianne. Him stating he wasn't going to give energy before Ribrianne showed an interest in attacking was really bad.

HardRojo

Is this the first time Goku doesn't speak at all after he got a new form?

I'm not complaining :p
The lack of atatatatata made the whole thing that much better.

Toei, you showed naked torso Goku in the first poster, so I demand naked torso Goku the next time he goes Migatte no Gokui in the ToP.

sturmdogg

Vegeta was still standing infront of his opponent as well, might be worth mentioning. All the other z fighters seemed to be out of combat.

Anyhow, I’m perfectly fine with Vegeta giving or not giving energy. He protected goku, which seems more important to me.

But what if Vegeta's energy would have given Goku enough time to finish Jiren?

Skeeter49

The lack of atatatatata made the whole thing that much better.

Toei, you showed naked torso Goku in the first poster, so I demand naked torso Goku the next time he goes Migatte no Gokui in the ToP.

Frieza will rip Goku's shirt off in the next episode. Believe.
It's the next step in their sexual tension.

But what if Vegeta's energy would have given Goku enough time to finish Jiren?
Jiren pushing the Genki Dama back had nothing to do with it's power, it had to do with Goku's power. Jiren is stronger than Goku, as such he was able to push back the attack by putting more force on it than Goku could.

sturmdogg

Frieza will rip Goku's shirt off in the next episode. Believe.
It's the next step in their sexual tension.

Jiren pushing the Genki Dama back had nothing to do with it's power, it had to do with Goku's power. Jiren is stronger than Goku, as such he was able to push back the attack by putting more force on it than Goku could.

No, I meant, when Goku came back he was in Ultra Instict form powered by the Genki Dama. If Vegeta had given his energy, it might have given enough time for Goku to wreck Jiren.

it's interesting that they didn't use the cut of animation from the OP of Goku fighting Jiren...I wonder if they're saving it for the rematch?

hm im watching it on funimation now so i can see those missing scenes (also cuz i wanted to watch it again lol)

i like that they combined it into one episode

Skii

it's interesting that they didn't use the cut of animation from the OP of Goku fighting Jiren...I wonder if they're saving it for the rematch?

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this new ability is "learned" to an extent enhancing his previous forms meaning he can compete with Jiren moreso in SSJ/SSB. I also don't know if the redish aura is just misdirection or there's something more to Goku that they are saving...

And people suggesting Jiren is barely trying. Not the case. He has a special technique where while his body is appearing to stand completely still, he's punching and kicking at his opponent. Almost like a form of astral projection based combat meanwhile his physical body is still visible.

Them mentioning the heat could also be cover for the fact that they clearly won't always be drawing that amazing looking aura like that. This way they could remove it later while still essentially giving Goku the same kind of power.

BTW, when Goku blocked both Dyspo and Toppo at the same time and threw them away, wasn't like when Whis did to him and Vegeta while training?

No, I meant, when Goku came back he was in Ultra Instict form powered by the Genki Dama. If Vegeta had given his energy, it might have given enough time for Goku to wreck Jiren.

Doubtful, didn't look like Jiren was anywhere near close to losing

Now if Goku got accustomed to his new form and rests for a while that may be different, but I don't think Vegeta giving energy would have changed anything.

LotusHD

Banned
What happened immediately after he said he wasn't helping? He protected Goku.

Okay, but he didn't decline to give up his energy because he wanted to protect Goku though. He just... didn't want to do it. Then he saw Ribrianne afterwards and stopped her. And then of course, again, still chose not to do it, despite the coast being clear. Regardless, there's a much more effective way to make Vegeta look better here, and they didn't do it.

Oh well.

Saving this lol

I don't necessarily disagree. I think he could still be a good character. Heck, he could be the best character of the series.

Let's not get crazy here.

If Jiren at least had a cool design I'd like him more. But instead I got an OP character who looks like a grey alien from mars went to the gym and does The Incredibles cosplay.

I'm actually glad that he doesn't have a stereotypical badass/cool design.

I wonder when they'll reveal what Jiren's wish is?

It bothers me Goku didn't think to wish for the universes back. Especially when in 99 Goku implied that would be his wish.

Seems like no one so far is thinking about the erased universes with the wish

I think that's for the best. It would undercut what (admittedly little) tension we have for the protagonist to outright declare that he does intend on bringing everybody back. His wish would be in all of our minds, just nagging at us. :p

Tsunamo

You know what we haven't seen in a long time from Goku come to think of it? Dragon Fist, would be neat to see that or a variation of Super Dragon Fist in Super.
hm im watching it on funimation now so i can see those missing scenes (also cuz i wanted to watch it again lol)

i like that they combined it into one episode
That extra scene really helps it transition so much better. It feels like the two episode cut had trouble knowing where to cut it.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this new ability is "learned" to an extent enhancing his previous forms meaning he can compete with Jiren moreso in SSJ/SSB. I also don't know if the redish aura is just misdirection or there's something more to Goku that they are saving...

i think it might be a misdirection. I think the ability is separate from the form, but idk. I anticipate that we will see the original promo shot of goku in that form, where he's shirtless with the red, smoky aura, in their next bout.

but I'd be surprised if they didn't use that cut of animation. First, because it's a pretty sick cut, and second because every other cut of fighting from the OP we have seen in the show.

Huh, I certainly remember seeing a part from the OP fight in the episodes

really? I'm watching it again now so I'll keep my eyes peeled, but unless they removed their auras I didn't notice it

Skeeter49

I'm assuming the tradeoff next episode will be Frieza wanting Goku to teach him the Ultra Instinct form, and in exchange Frieza will give Goku energy.

Jiren stood there and let fully powered Goku charge him and swing. Then his aura flared and he caught Goku's punch and was like "Saiyans are interesting".

Goku still has a long ways to go to beat Jiren. I am starting to think there is some secret or trick to Jiren, or otherwise some type of shenanigans going on with his power. If there is one the fight with Hit will probably expose it, Hit being tricky and an assassin will be looking for that weak point.

redfox088

Banned
Jiren stood there and let fully powered Goku charge him and swing. Then his aura flared and he caught Goku's punch and was like "Saiyans are interesting".

Goku still has a long ways to go to beat Jiren. I am starting to think there is some secret or trick to Jiren, or otherwise some type of shenanigans going on with his power. If there is one the fight with Hit will probably expose it, Hit being tricky and an assassin will be looking for that weak point.
If he really is Superman he probably has krytonite...if he’s Allmight he might have really low stamina or something....it would explain him saving himself for the latter half of the tournament.

Mory Dunz

How close are we getting to Beerus and co?

It'd be interesting to see a God in a serious fight for once....

Like, was fused Zamasu on that level.
Whis and Beerus never saw Blue Vegito. But dang, with how much Portara does I wonder how strong it was...

Doesn't feel like any SSJ was involved with the Ultra Instinct powerup, unless it has been confirmed otherwise.

Probably going to need UI in combination with at least the base SSJ to defeat Jiren.

NeonZ

Jiren couldn't touch Goku once before his form started failing. Note that the punch grab happened after a shot where Goku's eyes briefly returned to normal. If Goku can actually sustain it next time he can beat Jiren.

Mory Dunz

Huh, I certainly remember seeing a part from the OP fight in the episodes

Yeah They reused almost all of the Goku-Jiren parts from the OP. It was hard not to notice.

....it was actually one of my problems with the fight among many other stuff. But I think I'm officially the most negative person in the thread, so maybe I'll ease on that lol....

Top Bottom