• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

So my favorite character is back to being irrelevant.

It’s clear the writer just doesn’t like him and Vegeta is just here because of the fan base.

Just kill him off so I can watch the show with no expectations letting me down when they don’t get met. I love Goku, but the mindless, aimless, cliche shounen protagonist is just kinda boring at this point, especially since I get enough of it with Luffy in OP.

DBS is boiling down to “cool fights” for me, not in love with any of the arcs so far.

It’s clear the writer just doesn’t like him and Vegeta is just here because of the fan base.

Just kill him off so I can watch the show with no expectations letting me down when they don’t get met. I love Goku, but the mindless, aimless, cliche shounen protagonist is just kinda boring at this point, especially since I get enough of it with Luffy in OP.

DBS is boiling down to “cool fights” for me, not in love with any of the arcs so far.
Don’t worry geets will get his time and form soon enough

And than surpassed by goku two episodes later but nonetheless it’s coming!! Believe

caliph95

Just kill him off so I can watch the show. I love Goku, but the mindless, aimless, cliche shoto protagonist is just kinda boring at this point, especially since I get enough of it with Luffy in OP.

Why I mean Goku is getting pushed and he's not handled perfectly
he has the most focus in Dragon ball besides Goku and while he jobs for Goku he also tends to be one of the more useful members and received more development than Goku

Tien is the one they don't care or try for

Why I mean Goku is getting pushed and he's not handled perfectly he has the most focus in Dragon ball besides Goku and while he jobs for Holy he also tends to be one of the more useful members and received more development than Goku

Goten is the one they don't care or try for
Ftfy
Tien is there

To get his ass kicked and make Roshi and Gohan look cool

And his cool episode was one of the worst in portraying him as cool

also true though
You will be correct but at the same time better to be in the actual arc and get ya ass kicked than be nowhere to be found for what’s looking like a long time

Tsunamo

That black hole was cool, pushing on the SB so hard they made it collapse in on itself.
Yeah it was a nice twist on how it usually goes with the Spirit Bomb. That extra scene that got cut in the CR version really shows Goku and Jiren pushed it to its limit back and forth in their struggle.

NEO0MJ

You're still way better off than Piccolo fans
and Yamcha fans.

HardRojo

I think it was just the animators having fun with angles.Makes me sad no one noticed their first appearance in this episode, even though it was just for two seconds in one shot.
DLnCTVxU8AAIk-j.jpg:large
I've watched the episode like 5 times now and I swear I didn't notice it was them lol. They should've been revealed by now tbh, don't know what the holdup is.

caliph95

I don't know why people keep talking about "a different type of form".

Like, what does that even mean in the context of this franchise?
Super Saiyan with different colour or Aura but do the same thing

Like Vegetables having his own attacks that basically do the same thing as kamehameha

It was kinda interesting seeing virtually all of the GoDs, especially Beerus legit shook over Goku's new power before the end of this special.

But I almost expected Jiren to not go down like that just yet, since we're only at about the halfway mark of this tournament.

Skii

I don't know why people keep talking about "a different type of form".

Like, what does that even mean in the context of this franchise?

How Goku has KK, Gohan has Ultimate and now Kale has SSJ Berserker... No reason why Vegeta cant have something of his own whether its a full blown form or a technique enhancing his power.

It really isn't difficult to comprehend.

HardRojo

So Freeza gave Goku energy but Vegeta did not? Not looking good for Vegeta fans at this point tbh.

It's Vegeta, he's too proud and stubborn at times to say things and show it himself, plus he wasn't completely beat up like in the Buu arc, so he helped in his own way (by making sure no one interfered, which only Ribrianne tried as the rest was pretty much in spectator mode).

HeroR

I didnt say for him to learn the same skills. I'd much rather he learnt different skills or transformations actually adding variety but that's a bit too much for Toriyama and Toei when it comes to him clearly.

He was never truly ahead of Goku in Z. He only was at one point because Goku had a heart virus and he trained in the hyperbolic time chamber first... His character flaw in Z was entirely surrounding his pride and arrogance that he's better than Goku when he never was.

So you have this character development at the end of the Buu arc and in ROF but do nothing with it. That's poor writing.

TeamLeftMatch put it best:

I never got this argument for Vegeta. On character development, Vegeta clearly shows how he's settled to his life on earth (not willing to fight in the tournament so he can be with Bulma for the birth of Bra, and was taking care of Bra before he went out to train. In terms of rivalry development aside from RoF, Vegeta never was equal to Goku but then again he managed to beat up Rose so maybe he was during the Goku black arc. I don't see a problem because Vegta will always try to rival Goku (He yelled that he would beat Goku in the Time chamber).

Short-hand, there is more to Vegeta's character development than him being weaker or stronger than Goku. If anything, the moment Vegeta absolutely stops trying to be Goku's rival is probably when he finally get rids of the chip on his shoulder and become more relaxed.

It's clear the writer just doesn't like him and Vegeta is just here because of the fan base.

Just kill him off so I can watch the show with no expectations letting me down when they don't get met. I love Goku, but the mindless, aimless, cliche shounen protagonist is just kinda boring at this point, especially since I get enough of it with Luffy in OP.

DBS is boiling down to ”cool fights" for me, not in love with any of the arcs so far.

Please do so his fanbase can finally shut up.

How Goku has KK, Gohan has Ultimate and now Kale has SSJ Berserker... No reason why Vegeta cant have something of his own whether its a full blown form or a technique enhancing his power.

It really isn't difficult to comprehend.

I mean because they all do the same thing anyway so I don't see the big deal about getting a new form aside from some visual spice.

Short-hand, there is more to Vegeta's character development than him being weaker than stronger than Goku. If anything, the moment Vegeta absolutely stops trying to be Goku's rival is probably when he finally get rids of the chip on his shoulder and become more relaxed.

Please do so his fanbase can finally shut up.

Might be quite awhile before he does as wasn't Vegeta retconned to still want to be stronger than Goku in the redone last chapter for the Dragonball (Z) manga collection digest a decade or so ago? When Toriyama redrew for the new compilation?

HeroR

Might be quite awhile before he does as wasn't Vegeta retconned to still want to be stronger than Goku in the redone last chapter for the Dragonball (Z) manga collection digest a decade or so ago? When Toriyama redrew for the new compilation?

Yeah, Toriyama did changed the ending slightly where Vegeta still wants to surpassed Goku. He's just not so obsessed with it that it defines his entire character like the Cell and most of the Buu Saga.

As good as it looked, I found the constant changing artstyles to be jarring at times.

case in point: (despite it being beautiful it was kinda wtf)

Fusion Reborn is the best DB has looked for me.

For me, the last two movies are(Fusion and the demon dude movie).

Although for a regular budget episode? This in my opinion is the cream of the crop.

The problem with Vegeta now is that it contradicts his attitude at the end of the Buu Saga. He's supposed to have made peace with Goku being stronger than him, and now trains just to push his own limits. This is regression in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Wait, they retconned it?

HeroR

The problem with Vegeta now is that it contradicts his attitude at the end of the Buu Saga. He's supposed to have made peace with Goku being stronger than him, and now trains just to push his own limits. This is regression in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Wait, they retconned it?

Back in 2004 by Toriyama himself. Vegeta still wants to surpassed Goku.

Slaythe

I know what the hold up is.

In U6, the namekians are...... female. Or seem female rather.

They have girly voices.

It will be the penultimate sick reveal right before Damon hijacks Gohan or 17's body and becomes the most powerful fighter on the arena.

caliph95

I know what the hold up is.

In U6, the namekians are...... female. Or seem female rather.

They have girly voices

It will be the penultimate sick reveal right before Damon hijacks Gohan or 17's body and becomes the most powerful fighter on the arena.
Well it would be a fun week if they reveal that

Well when you have new recurring rivals in Hit and now probably Jiren, what do you need Vegeta for. He's just the guy that jobs to set up the threat now. He's the GOAT frontrunner though they better find a way to put him back on top so he can spit out more one-liners.

HeroR

That's kinda dumb, so he's learnt nothing then?

I mean it makes sort of sense in Dragon Balls writing. Why stop trying to be best?

Unspeakable Evil got the idea. Vegeta still wants to be the best, which is fine. Vegeta's major flaw was that he was obsessed with surpassing Goku to the point that it defined his entire being and nearly destroyed. There is a heathy rivalry like what Goku and Hit has where both improved and grow, and then there is self-destruction.

In many ways, I think fans misread Vegeta's statement in the Buu Saga as Vegeta just outright given up and never trying.

Unspeakable Evil got the idea. Vegeta still wants to be the best, which is fine. Vegeta's major flaw was that he was obsessed with surpassing Goku to the point that it defined his entire being and nearly destroyed. There is a heathy rivalry like what Goku and Hit has where both improved and grow, and then there is self-destruction.

In many ways, I think fans misread Vegeta's statement in the Buu Saga as Vegeta just outright given up and never trying.
I don’t see like that at all, I see it as training for self-improvement like Goku does

ElFly

the point about the Vegeta long diatribe about surpassing Goku is that it is IMMEDIATELY thrown out because Goku can not actually beat Buu

'sides, Vegeta is just not as fun if he ain't being humiliated by Goku's superiority every other day

Something that bothered when I was watching clips of the dub is when Vegeta says “he’s my enemy but we’ve made a truce” in regards to Goku. What? No, you’re supposed to be friendly rivals not enemies.

HeroR

I don't see like that at all, I see it as training for self-improvement like Goku does

You can train to self-improve and still have someone as your goal. Goku does it, he wants to surpassed Beerus, so I don't see why Vegeta can't do the same.

the point about the Vegeta long diatribe about surpassing Goku is that it is IMMEDIATELY thrown out because Goku can not actually beat Buu

'sides, Vegeta is just not as fun if he ain't being humiliated by Goku's superiority every other day

According to Vegeta, Goku killed Buu and is the strongest in the universe.

Morlas

Yeah, I think he says that in the English dub when Beerus first appears in Bulma's ship and asks Vegeta about his relationship with Goku.

i took it as he still doesn't want to be seen as being goku's 'friend' because his feelings are still complicated, even Beerus doesn't buy it

Top Bottom