• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

NeonZ

The idea that a Genki Dama can't be charged in Super Saiyan wouldn't be something the episode writer would be allowed to decide, that'd be something decided by Toriyama, the series directors or the producers.

That's assuming it was an overall brand direction rather than just the episode's script writer throwing a line there he thought was appropriate. Dragonball Heroes added a SSB Kaioken Genki Dama almost at the same time as the anime version, but there Goku charges it in SSB.

https://youtu.be/NZ4jUS4O9r0?t=29s

So, the idea that he can't charge it in SSJ doesn't seem to have come from the top.

Crocodile

naranbaatar-ganbold-hit-copy.jpg
Source

That's assuming it was an overall brand direction rather than just the episode's script writer throwing a line there he thought was appropriate. Dragonball Heroes added a SSB Kaioken Genki Dama almost at the same time as the anime version, but there Goku charges it in SSB.

https://youtu.be/NZ4jUS4O9r0?t=29s

So, the idea that he can't charge it in SSJ doesn't seem to have come from the top.
Things like how abilities work wouldn't be something an episode writer decides.

That's creepy.

DarkKyo

I'm thinking having Hit vs. Jiren is very intentional because of time vs. space, or a clash between two who exceed the fundamental universal restraints.

NeonZ

Things like how abilities work wouldn't be something an episode writer decides.

Only if it is an actual directive enforced to other anime writers and/or the franchise in general, and we don't know that, regarding this Genki Dama situation. Obviously the directors technically had to approve the overall script, but most anime directors don't go and start tweaking specific elements of the script uncredited. It could be seen as just flavor text for the episode, rather than an actual imposition for future writers.

LogicStep

I never understood how Vegeta worked power up wise. Never got SS3 but got SS4 (i know it doesn't count), and never got god but got blue. Like how is he skipping levels?

The manga makes more sense in that regard imo. Vegeta gets SSG there.

He might also have it in the anime but never showed it. But who knows.

I never understood how Vegeta worked power up wise. Never got SS3 but got SS4 (i know it doesn't count), and never got god but got blue. Like how is he skipping levels?

I can't speak about the Super Saiyan God Leap (although he gets it in the manga), but I always considered SS3 as some side powerup that was only attainable through weird means (ie: Goku obtained it while dead and Gotenks had it via fusion)

Magwik

Banned
Vegeta should have SSG, since Blue is the SSJ of SSG. It's one of the things the manga handled well at explaining at least.

caliph95

The manga makes more sense in that regard imo. Vegeta gets SSG there.

He might also have it in the anime but never showed it. But who knows.
I don't see how it makes sense when only way to get God was through the ritual while we never got an explanation for blue

Only if it is an actual directive enforced to other anime writers and/or the franchise in general, and we don't know that, regarding this Genki Dama situation. Obviously the directors technically had to approve the overall script, but most anime directors don't go and start tweaking specific elements of the script uncredited. It could be seen as just flavor text for the episode, rather than an actual imposition for future writers.

Writers on shows like this don't have that kind of freedom.

I don't see how it makes sense when only way to get God was through the ritual while we never got an explanation for blue

Only explanations are that Vegeta made the others do the same ritual with him to become SSG or the first ritual with Goku he took part in somehow made it possible to achieve it on his own, though that would apply to Gohan, Goten etc. then as well.

It could be handled better in both manga and anime by showing that, but the manga at least shows that Vegeta indeed has SSG. Achieving SSB otherwise would make no sense.

And we got an explanation for Blue in the anime from Goku.

Only explanations are that Vegeta made the others do the same ritual with him to become SSG or the first ritual with Goku he took part in somehow made it possible to achieve it on his own, though that would apply to Gohan, Goten etc. then as well.

It could be handled better in both manga and anime by showing that, but the manga at least shows that Vegeta indeed has SSG. Achieving SSB otherwise would make no sense.
Let’s go with this Xp

Skeeter49

SSJ3 is trash, and all you need to get SSJ4 is SSJ and a tail. Goten and Trunks could have got SSJ4 if they had tails.

It is funny in games to see Vegeta go from SSJ2 to SSJ4.

NeonZ

Writers on shows like this don't have that kind of freedom.

I think you're looking at this from the perspective of a fan. Something like that line is surely important and taken seriously as something that needs to be acknowledged and maintained going forward, but that's not necessarily true for the staff itself. It's not that rare to see Toei original shows with multiple writers, like Digimon and Super Sentai, include specific ability descriptions that are just disregarded afterwards since they weren't really details enforced to the writing team, but just minor lines the episode's specific writer threw there for one reason or another.

Goku going back to base to charge the Genki Dama wasn't even really tied to any of the episode's plot points either.

Jeffrey

Man... What if all the God of wars just started fighting each other at the end?

I'm tired of them wasting time on Mook furries. Ppl are all too chill with their livelyhoods on the line.

Skeeter49

I'm tired of them wasting time on Mook furries. Ppl are all too chill with their livelyhoods on the line.

Now I want Kratos to be a god of one of the destroyed universes.

Wonder what the mortal level would be of a Kratos controlled universe.

Morlas

Now I want Kratos to be a god of one of the destroyed universes.

Wonder what the mortal level would be of a Kratos controlled universe.
....very low

I am interested in seeing the destroyed universes though...seems like the pairing system might have been a trio system before or something....which means more saiyans XD

ec0ec0

dislaimer: i hadn't watched a full episode of dragon ball super yet (just some videos on youtube)

just watched episode 109 and wanted to comment on something that really stood out.

Goku in his base form (black hair) looks fine. However, the transition from base form to saiyan (spiky yellow hair) was awfull (like, wow). Moreover, goku looks pretty bad in super saiyan, super saiyan 2 and more surprisingly, considering how much time it must appear on screen, super saiyan blue (spiky blue hair) too.

The art for super saiyan blue must be bad because goku looked A LOT better for the brief moment he went into super saiyan god (red hair, but with base goku's hair shape). I don't know if they forgot how to make saiyan like hair look good on screen, because the only times goku looked any good, was when he had his regular hair shape (base form, super saiyan god), instead of spiky hair (super saiyan 1 and 2, super saiyan blue).

During the fight (which was in super saiyan blue most of the time), goku didn't look good. And that's how he always looks?

what do you guys think of his appearance?

What if a battle between all the gods of destruction is a planned portion of this entire thing, and the manga just decided to lead with that instead, whereas the anime may end with it. Things end in a stalemate between the universes, so the gods of destruction from stalemate universes enter the stage to square off to decide who is the victor. This way we get to see Beerus in truly serious action against other gods of destruction. Preferably a one on one between Belmod and Beerus. Things appear headed that way with the emotion from Beerus in this latest ep and the focus on belmod..

caliph95

Kind of like Beerus....yeah you're right
He has a shorter fuse than Beerus

He pretty much fucked up the earth in for his for his revenge even after being told so and seen it he kept going

He has a serious revenge boner and kill people for being in the way

Morlas

He has a shorter fuse than Beerus

He pretty much fucked up the earth in for his for his revenge even after being told so and seen it he kept going

He has a serious revenge boner and kill people for being in the way
The only thing I know about Kratos is he's an asshole

I really don't care for God personally it's just bloats the transformations

Rather it disappears after Bog

I think after this arc it should just be ssj, blue, and new form

ss2 and god should be phased out along with 3

i would say phase out ssj, but it's too iconic

ec0ec0

just watched 110.

like i said in my previous post, this is my first time watching episodes of dragon ball super.

Goku's new form maintains his black hair with its non saiyan shape, so goku also looks good in that one. He looks good in base form, super saiyan god (red), and the new form, but he looks bad in all the form with saiyan like, spiky hair (super saiyan 1 and 2, super saiyan blue).

I guess that goku having a better form than super saiyan blue, means that, in the future, it will be possible to watch dragon ball super without goku looking subpar because of the transformation.

Top Bottom