• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Omni

Played a few games online for the first time. Very soon learnt that spamming ultimate attacks is not an effective strategy in the slightest.

I also noticed how dependant some players are on it. As soon as they start charging their ki, I use instant transmission and proceed to rek them. Love it.

Vex_

Banned
My quests only go up to 49. Am I missing something? I've done the first 30 of them or so

Dont want to spoil it for you (unless you ask me to) but you didnt get the secret quests.

They require shards that you can collect when beating the story. Once you beat these, you will unlock the remaining Parallel Quests.

EDIT: Alternatively, I hear you can do Mission 49 Saiyan Revolt?

Varth

So I'm pumping quite a lot of hours into it, and aside from being the first DBZ game in ages that I can make sense of the controls, I'm not getting all the sales craze.

I have VERY bad camera (indoor levels are just unplayable)
Endless F2P like grind
Limited character editor
Nonsense balance
Missions where I constantly lose due to poor companion IA
Characters missing lock and not repositioning themselves
Arcs missing for no reason

What am I missing? Aside from this being on PS4/XBO/PC I struggle to see the reason why it's performing so well.

What am I missing? Aside from this being on PS4/XBO/PC I struggle to see the reason why it's performing so well.

Despite everything you said probably being true, it's still the best game to experience ones inner child's love of DBZ. It has alot of content for the price and it's had good word of mouth too.

Tan

So I'm pumping quite a lot of hours into it, and aside from being the first DBZ game in ages that I can make sense of the controls, I'm not getting all the sales craze.

Endless F2P like grind
Limited character editor
Nonsense balance

For me it's the first dragon ball game I've known about in recent years that's (sort of) had its own story. I imagine that's enough of a hook for a lot of people to shoot kamehamehas again.

martino

i'd like to do one PQ 53 then 2-3 PQ51 (defeating broly even level one is not that hard but can be long so avoid it on PQ53) then you are ready to play up to 5-6 star PQ for more fun

Vex_

Banned

Endless F2P like grind
Limited character editor
Nonsense balance

-The camera is as good as it is gonna get right now. I cant see how they could improve it. The game is a 3d fighter, it will inherently have some issues. (I am curious what system you are on?)

-You sound like you are just starting out. What is it exactly that is giving you so much trouble? What are you not getting to drop? Some items (not z souls) are tradeable/buyable. Such as super saiyan 1 and 2.

-The Ai is bad...when it is on your team. Otherwise, it will piss you off by how efficiently they use beam supers. Your mentor will save you sometimes. That Ai appears to be better than your team NPC ai. Try to do quests with real human players if possible.

-"nonsense balance" Most people expected this. It is DBZ afterall. I agree though.

-Characters missing lock used to happen to me when I wasnt used to the control scheme and camera angle. I changed the controls. I got used to it, so it rarely happens anymore. I used to overshoot my target with dash attack.

-Which arc is missing? The only one I remember from the story that wasnt represented too well in this game was the android saga, which is actually present. Just done later on. Although, it is short.

-Character creator could use more hairstyles, but I would imagine if things got too crazy, we'd have even MORE balancing issues.

The word of mouth is incredibly strong for this game. I am guessing the sudden returning intrest for all things dbz since the new movies are the cause for that.

Endless F2P like grind
Limited character editor
Nonsense balance

well do to the way to story is set up some characters get bypassed entirely (I will not forgive the exclusion of Majin Vegeta or the absorbed Super Buu forms.)
there was, might still be ongoing server issues which were so bad they kicked you out of single player or from even loading your game up
Then there's the difficulty, due to bad allied ai (allies you take into battle, the one you have to defend are even worse :/) brutal enemy ai, kamehemeha spam for instance and the general damage you take versus they dish out (later stages that is, with a few exceptions like PQ21 can kick you arse when Piccolo, Gohan and Goku show up))

game has good points but many bad

Varth

-The camera is as good as it is gonna get right now. I cant see how they could improve it. The game is a 3d fighter, it will inherently have some issues. (I am curious what system you are on?)

PS4

-You sound like you are just starting out. What is it exactly that is giving you so much trouble? What are you not getting to drop? Some items (not z souls) are tradeable/buyable. Such as super saiyan 1 and 2.

It's just that I'm getting always the same stuff over and over. The only reason why I'm not super pissed is that I'm trying not to get sucked into collecting too much.

-The Ai is bad...when it is on your team. Otherwise, it will piss you off by how efficiently they use beam supers. Your mentor will save you sometimes. That Ai appears to be better than your team NPC ai. Try to do quests with real human players if possible.

Yeah, well, that's two negatives ^___^' When I said nonsense balance I meant that too. I'm finding myself often choosing to fight alone just to avoid bullshit friend AI and added chaos.

-Characters missing lock used to happen to me when I wasnt used to the control scheme and camera angle. I changed the controls. I got used to it, so it rarely happens anymore. I used to overshoot my target with dash attack.

Could be, but I got my ass kicked a couple times because of that. Don't want to know what's it gonna be on higher levels with kamespam.

-Which arc is missing? The only one I remember from the story that wasnt represented too well in this game was the android saga, which is actually present. Just done later on. Although, it is short.

GT spring to mind, but I hate that they keep skipping the beginning with child Goku. Only Budokai 3 included it IIRC.

The word of mouth is incredibly strong for this game. I am guessing the sudden returning intrest for all things dbz since the new movies are the cause for that.

Oh, that's interesting. Didn't feel that much of a revival fo DBZ from the new movie. Could be that I guess.

dlauv

This game is so fun. I've put 35 hours into it in less than a week.

Grinding for all of the supers and ultimates is going to be painful though. No idea how I'll get to spectate 7 matches either. Either way, it's fun enough to keep playing! Servers seem to be working well on PC too.

Once you get the ebb and flow of pvp, it's really not so bad. Directional Y attacks, super drain, and even that dance move are pretty useful. Janky, but fun.

I had some guy use Yamcha's ultra on me and he kept juggling me with the ball; it was hilarious. Then I kept tri-beaming with Tien.

As for Bardock's mission,
I had a level 80 female ki-blast majin. It seemed like it took too much time to build power: enemies kept blocking, interrupting my charge, and Bardock kept dying. I made a basic attack freeza character with pose k and just wiped the floor with it pretty quickly.
<--Backseat Gaming Tippz

GT spring to mind, but I hate that they keep skipping the beginning with child Goku. Only Budokai 3 included it IIRC

The only Dragonball content from Budokai 3 was Kid Goku as an unlockable character (and Evil King Piccolo as an unlockable costume in the PS2 Greatest Hits/HD Collection). None of the fighters really started getting Dragonball story content until Tenkaichi, as far as I can remember.

Loris146

This game is so fun. I've put 35 hours into it in less than a week.

Grinding for all of the supers and ultimates is going to be painful though. No idea how I'll get to spectate 7 matches either. Either way, it's fun enough to keep playing! Servers seem to be working well on PC too.

Once you get the ebb and flow of pvp, it's really not so bad. Directional Y attacks, super drain, and even that dance move are pretty useful. Janky, but fun.

I had some guy use Yamcha's ultra on me and he kept juggling me with the ball; it was hilarious. Then I kept tri-beaming with Tien.

As for Bardock's mission,
I had a level 80 female ki-blast majin. It seemed like it took too much time to build power: enemies kept blocking, interrupting my charge, and Bardock kept dying. I made a basic attack freeza character with pose k and just wiped the floor with it pretty quickly.
<--Backseat Gaming Tippz

More than 50 for me :p I love DB.

NeonZ

GT spring to mind, but I hate that they keep skipping the beginning with child Goku. Only Budokai 3 included it IIRC.

There are some GT characters in the game, they just aren't part of the main story. There seems to be GT story content in the DLC though. DB also seems to be getting DLC content, although it doesn't seem to include story.

Omni

Dont want to spoil it for you (unless you ask me to) but you didnt get the secret quests.

They require shards that you can collect when beating the story. Once you beat these, you will unlock the remaining Parallel Quests.

EDIT: Alternatively, I hear you can do Mission 49 Saiyan Revolt?

Alright I got these.

Bardock's
mission is a pain in the arse. I only attempted it once before bed, but I barely made it to Frieza. Is it just a case of grinding to a higher level and trying again? I'm like level 55 I think

Finally got back to playing this as I've pretty much finished my dissertation (hooray!) and on the first game back I got Super Vegeta 2 for my Ki-based Saiyan.

Onto the better news, I actually have a spare code for Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta (EU/PS4) so if anyone missed out I'll give it to the first person who PMs me (please post here too as I may not instantly reply and it'll let people not get their hopes up).

NZerker12

Finally got back to playing this as I've pretty much finished my dissertation (hooray!) and on the first game back I got Super Vegeta 2 for my Ki-based Saiyan.

Onto the better news, I actually have a spare code for Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta (EU/PS4) so if anyone missed out I'll give it to the first person who PMs me (please post here too as I may not instantly reply and it'll let people not get their hopes up).

I sent you a PM but if you haven't seen it, I would like the code please if it is still available.
Thanks

Nordicus

I'm scratching my head because after 2 days of relative difficulty to get any new skills, I got 4 new strike supers from tier 5-7 PQs in 2 hours. I guess they really upped the drop rates?

One of these strike supers was Android 17's Freedom Kick, and the range on that is ridiculous. It makes Recoome Kick look like a short-range skill. You fly to your enemy and then hit them several times as you fly back and forth in a figure 8

I home from the other side of the map right to Hercule's side, and then fly like a fat butterfly, sting like an orange bee
SsIpapn.jpg
Qgei9qH.jpg
uotcXkO.jpg

patchday

Had bout 30 mins of playtime last night. Was able to connect to the multi-lobby with ease.

Drop rates seem exact same though

I finally got in tonight, and didnt get kicked a single time during a decently long session!

I pulled the trigger on deleting my lvl 11 Namekian and creating a Saiyan (starting the game with one char slot BOOOOOO). Strangely enough, the story progression, items, skills, and cash didnt seem to reset. First one is most strange because I didnt see a way to go back to the first story mission and start over there with my lvl 1 char, so I had to grind PQs to level up enough to resume Time Patrol.

Speaking of PQs, it is so much easier with players instead of AI friendlies! I went from level 1 to level 12 in 2 hours! :-D Also had some good RNG tonight, got some nice clothes, Kaioken and Kaioken x3, Kamehameha, and some other goodies.

All in all an enjoyable night thanks to server stability!
Yeah that's awful. You definitely want to play online until you get high enough to unlock PQ 52+. 1 mission will bump you to L15 (5 mins)

Matriox

So I went to check this out at best buy last night and they were completely sold out of both the Xbox One and ps4 versions, what gives?!

Steel

Banned
Played a few games online for the first time. Very soon learnt that spamming ultimate attacks is not an effective strategy in the slightest.

I also noticed how dependant some players are on it. As soon as they start charging their ki, I use instant transmission and proceed to rek them. Love it.

Depends. In my case I use KaikokenX20+Angry shout(An evasive ultimate that charges your key, stuns people around you and blocks any attack while giving you ki) to charge my ki(never equip maxium charge if I have Kaioken), so I'm effectively invulnerable while doing it.

Estellise

I finally beat this game today and I really liked it. I actually enjoyed the story and
the ending was neat w/ the whole gang helping me out with my final blast to destroy demigra.
I think this is the start to a really interesting series. The gameplay is fun and certainly challenging at times. I like the whole character customization; it makes you feel much more original when you have your own skills and appearance.

Now I just have a lot of PQs to worry about. I really want Vegito but I'm stuck on PQ 37; I swear to god am I the only one who has trouble on this? It's not even because it's necessarily hard but Buu keeps fucking dying by the time I get to the fight w/ Goku and Gohan. I feel like this quest is luck more than anything in hopes that Buu doesn't die.

Sephzilla

That feeling when in a 3v3 online fight the 3 enemies are picking on one of your buddies and then you run up and final flash all of them into oblivion

1116.gif

Now I just have a lot of PQs to worry about. I really want Vegito but I'm stuck on PQ 37; I swear to god am I the only one who has trouble on this? It's not even because it's necessarily hard but Buu keeps fucking dying by the time I get to the fight w/ Goku and Gohan. I feel like this quest is luck more than anything in hopes that Buu doesn't die.
The problem is your AI partners suck. The best thing they are is they keep your target busy while you do your ultimate.

So you have to quickly beat the enemy or you are SOL.

Yeah, I am up for some grinding once I unlock PQ52 and 53.
My max is level 52 right now.

IIRC it is #3.
#4 and #5 are PQ2 and PQ14, which is pretty easy. Just need to score well.

oh nah bruh you get 3 from the pq goten gives, i actually just got that one like literally 2 minutes ago. that pq was so long(but easy)that i forgot i was even trying to get the shards lol

Estellise

The problem is your AI partners suck. The best thing they are is they keep your target busy while you do your ultimate.

So you have to quickly beat the enemy or you are SOL.

I guess in that case I need to make sure my other AI partners don't die; otherwise Buu will be the target instead of them. It's harder when there's two targets since I can only really focus on one at a time and my partners are usually fighting the other one.

Either way some of these hidden conditions feel so impossible. I'd be amazed if people could do them on their first run cause I'd have to go back to the ones I missed.

oh nah bruh you get 3 from the pq goten gives, i actually just got that one like literally 2 minutes ago. that pq was so long(but easy)that i forgot i was even trying to get the shards lol
Oh neat, I guess there is more than one quest for #3.
All the online guides I saw said only PQ49.

I guess in that case I need to make sure my other AI partners don't die; otherwise Buu will be the target instead of them. It's harder when there's two targets since I can only really focus on one at a time and my partners are usually fighting the other one.
Group healing items helps much on babysitting missions.

patchday

Wall of Defense is your best friend for protecting gimped NPC allies. I don't burn zeni on useless group heals. They never work for me in PQs or Story

k just need 1 more shard now. do i have to get all the shards AGAIN to get the other story or will just getting em once unlock both bardock's and broly's? im guessing you need to do it again just as a final fuck you from the devs.

k just need 1 more shard now. do i have to get all the shards AGAIN to get the other story or will just getting em once unlock both bardock's and broly's? im guessing you need to do it again just as a final fuck you from the devs.
Luckily no, the walkthrough I saw only got it once.
Also yeah shards #4 and #5 aren't bad.
#2 you get from talking to a Time Patroller near the Time Portal.

Nordicus

Let me know when you know what the strike equivalent is! I'm working on my first Strike character.
I've found the Strike equivalent of Change The Future! It doesn't deal as much damage, but that is balanced by the move countering both strike and blast supers! Not to mention it hits the enemy in the back, which fixes the one flaw with Change The Future, being that you might still get some damage after diving into that Kamehameha/Final Flash

It's called Pressure Sign, and you can get it from that really tough PQ 47. You might need to get the bonus objective too because iirc this is a Vegito move.

Luckily no, the walkthrough I saw only got it once.
Also yeah shards #4 and #5 aren't bad.
#2 you get from talking to a Time Patroller near the Time Portal.

oh thank the lawd. that means i can almost update the game and go back online :3 (I've been cheesing with the "bwa ha ha thanks for the energy" z soul on pc.

Top Bottom