• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Heroman

Banned
So I just did the super vetegs mission and frieza just fell through the world and since there's no quit button I just have to wait it out

Nordicus

A friend of mine pretty much sold me on this game and I'm not even a DBZ fan. What am I in for?
Imagine Destiny, but give it a story that's kinda fun and cheesy, and you get hundreds of DBZ moves, clothes, and equippable passives that reflect the traits of a character in the show. You get to customize your own character with them.

Also combat that's flashier than Destiny
and arguably more fun too
tumblr_n70gs72hLd1qdie0jo1_400.gif
tumblr_n70gbbLQjF1qdie0jo1_500.gif

Maligna

Banned
I've found the Strike equivalent of Change The Future! It doesn't deal as much damage, but that is balanced by the move countering both strike and blast supers! Not to mention it hits the enemy in the back, which fixes the one flaw with Change The Future, being that you might still get some damage after diving into that Kamehameha/Final Flash

It's called Pressure Sign, and you can get it from that really tough PQ 47. You might need to get the bonus objective too because iirc this is a Vegito move.

Ooo thanks! I'll have to hunt for this one.

kaiiri

so with people getting disconnected in single player... are you guys on console?

I always turn off internet when loading the game.. and when I'm in the city I turn internet back on and I've never been disconnected ever. I can still access online pqs with ease after.

OptimusLime

Yeah that's awful. You definitely want to play online until you get high enough to unlock PQ 52+. 1 mission will bump you to L15 (5 mins)

You mean join a team and play the story mode co-op? Ive been wanting to do that. I found the team registration building and it offers to create a team, but how do I join an existing one for story mode?

Muzicfreq

Banned
so with people getting disconnected in single player... are you guys on console?

I always turn off internet when loading the game.. and when I'm in the city I turn internet back on and I've never been disconnected ever. I can still access online pqs with ease after.
They seem to have fixed the issue

Hagi

Holy shit after only three attempts at the PQ I got Super Saiyan for my character. Praise the RNG overlords.

sogood.gif

patchday

You mean join a team and play the story mode co-op? Ive been wanting to do that. I found the team registration building and it offers to create a team, but how do I join an existing one for story mode?

Join a team doing the highest level mission you are comfortable with.

Apdiddy

Imagine Destiny, but give it a story that's kinda fun and cheesy, and you get hundreds of DBZ moves, clothes, and equippable passives that reflect the traits of a character in the show. You get to customize your own character with them.

That's sounds amazing and terrifying at the same time. I hope the drops are better than Destiny!

patchday

That's sounds amazing and terrifying at the same time. I hope the drops are better than Destiny!

Well... On the upside you can keep playing the missions all you want. There is no stupid weekly lockouts. And you can make all the characters you want (up to 9? one for each male/female). And you can grind up alts uber fast.

Much better designed than Destiny through and through. This coming from a veteran Destiny player that has characters at max level.

Need to play with new DBXV patch more. I'd say Destiny was more polished (less buggy) pre-patch for sure

Nordicus

One thing I was lacking in terms of ultimates was a Strike Ultimate to reliably combo into. The Justice Combination from Videl&Gohan actually works for this, because the first kick, which has slight guardbreaking properties, is really quick, and the Ultimate cutscene only triggers after the enemy is stunned. Also, it deals roughly 20% more damage than Victory Rush ultimate, which has kinda lost its meaning now that I have Freedom Kick super to catch up and harass faraway enemies.

Ooo thanks! I'll have to hunt for this one.
It's really good utility. I've been using Pressure Sign for a short while, and being able to counter both ranged and melee attacks means that you never get rudely interrupted by another faraway enemy's ki blasts while you're triggering the melee counter, and vice versa. Basically, 1 Ki bar = few seconds of near-invincibility if not already juggled.

If you get hit with anything but a throw, Pressure Sign teleports you to smugly kick your target in the back with arms crossed.

patchday

Yeah I figured that, I just dont know how to join a team. Thats ok, I'll google it up when I get home this evening.

Oh.. I was referring to Online Parallel Quests. It's tricky. PQ 53 only requires the team to gather dragonballs. However, most teams farm the main boss. So a lower level player could be a detriment there

But don't worry bout leveling up fast on your first character (unless you get stuck somewhere in the story). Taking 2 hours to hit L15 sounds bad to someone that has all the PQs unlocked (like me). But on your first run it can't be helped unless you get powerleveled

I'd be happy to help you level up if you're on PS4. I'm sandboxgod.

You want to be around L40+ at conclusion of story on average. The stronger you are- the stronger your NPC allies

Link to leveling tips

Spinluck

Combat is ok, not very polished, but some of the core mechanics work well.

Apples and oranges, but Destiny is a much better shooter than this is a fighter. And I gave up on that game and it's bullshit. This game has the chance to birth a very neat DBZ video game franchise.

TimFL

Finished all PQs today (went through them in one sitting) and unlocked all character variants and SSJ4 Goku.

It's pretty easy at level 80 with 2 good bots helping you (had Gohan due to mentorship and SSJ4 Vegeta because that guy is fast).

It's funny how in every quest with a lot of saiyans Vegeta was ALWAYS the hardest one. Not Vegito, not Gotenks, not SSJ God Goku or Gohan variants... it was always Vegeta being the one up close and personal 24/7 with 2 bars of health.

I got some things to do tonight, but I am willing to help new players level up.
PSN Name: UltimaManticore
We can do the Broly DB Mission (PQ 53).

Astral

Finished all PQs today (went through them in one sitting) and unlocked all character variants and SSJ4 Goku.

It's pretty easy at level 80 with 2 good bots helping you (had Gohan due to mentorship and SSJ4 Vegeta because that guy is fast).

It's funny how in every quest with a lot of saiyans Vegeta was ALWAYS the hardest one. Not Vegito, not Gotenks, not SSJ God Goku or Gohan variants... it was always Vegeta being the one up close and personal 24/7 with 2 bars of health.

That's funny, for me he's always the easiest to take down. It feels like he has a lot less health than the others. Three Ki blast ultimates and he's done.

TimFL

That's funny, for me he's always the easiest to take down. It feels like he has a lot less health than the others. Three Ki blast ultimates and he's done.

He does have a lot of health but you can take him down easily. The annoying thing is that he always combos me to oblivion and I have to use an escape move to get out of it. No other opponent does that, it's only Vegeta.

He is no match for my lvl 80 Saiyan though so I usually let him combo me for a few seconds until he is done and my Ki is full.

Sephzilla

I found Vegeta easy during my quests. Goku gives me the hardest time.

Vegeta's usually the easiest one in my quests too. Adult Gohan is the one who gives me the most trouble, he either has a boatload of health or buffed defenses. Vegeta will go down in like 3 ultimates to me but Gohan will easily take double that

Well... On the upside you can keep playing the missions all you want. There is no stupid weekly lockouts. And you can make all the characters you want (up to 9? one for each male/female). And you can grind up alts uber fast.

Much better designed than Destiny through and through. This coming from a veteran Destiny player that has characters at max level.

Need to play with new DBXV patch more. I'd say Destiny was more polished (less buggy) pre-patch for sure

Aw damn, I played Destiny a ton and now I'm interested in this game. I might pick it up this weekend.

Nordicus

In my experience, Goku is an incredibly annoying opportunistic back attacker who clings to you like a fly once he's chosen to bother you.

void666

Banned
I know it's silly to say this as this is an rpg type of game and you get stronger as progress. But yesterday i was doing some of the first PQs again with my lv 50 earthling.
I destroyed yamcha, tenchinhan and kuririn so easily. It felt so DBZ.

In my experience, Goku is an incredibly annoying opportunistic back attacker who clings to you like a fly once he's chosen to bother you.

Goku is a coward. I hate him and Gohan. Both are cheap ultimate spam cowards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Goku and Gohan both do this to me. They run away when I focus them but attack me in the back when I go for anyone else.

To say nothing of the absolutely ridiculous kamehameha spam they both do, locking and comboing you in their web of torment.

Astral

so whats the most effective way to farm dragon balls? i got like 20+ hours into the game and I've yet to get all dragon balls even once

PQ 12. Some missions have a chance of having a time patroller that you can challenge to a fight. Defeat them and they have a chance of dropping one under the name "Key Item." PQ 12 has a patroller in the starting area. If he's not there, retry. If you don't get a key item, retry.

so whats the most effective way to farm dragon balls? i got like 20+ hours into the game and I've yet to get all dragon balls even once
PQ2 is pretty good. Destroy Krillin, Yamcha and Tien, look at Kami's palace to see if there's a Patroller there, if yes beat his ass, if not retry. If you beat him/her you'll get a Material item and another item, if the other item is a Material item retry, if it's a Key item finish the mission.

patchday

Aw damn, I played Destiny a ton and now I'm interested in this game. I might pick it up this weekend.

Yeah this game is great fun. Only problem is the random loot drop chances which is a bit silly and totally unnecessary for such a fun game. But who knows maybe I wouldn't play this game as much if RNG wasn't there.

But like I said at least there's no weekly lockouts. So you can farm content all you want either online or offline. Random matchmaking for -all- the Online PQs means you can get together with other randoms and farm. Combat is super fun.

The story blows away Destiny's horrible attempt at one. Even when there's a set time for doing the Destiny raids you still have to often wait for folks to show up, etc. This game you just casually hop in and play.

PvE wise- in comparison to Destiny, DBXV (xenoverse) is missing the content that Destiny raids adds. Destiny raids were done quite well but unfortunately are locked behind a weekly lockout

PQ 12. Some missions have a chance of having a time patroller that you can challenge to a fight. Defeat them and they have a chance of dropping one under the name "Key Item." PQ 12 has a patroller in the starting area. If he's not there, retry. If you don't get a key item, retry.

This

PQ2 is pretty good. Destroy Krillin, Yamcha and Tien, look at Kami's palace to see if there's a Patroller there, if yes beat his ass, if not retry. If you beat him/her you'll get a Material item and another item, if the other item is a Material item retry, if it's a Key item finish the mission.

ah ok cool thanks. I'm falling asleep while waiting for a dragon ball to drop @_@ this is boooooring, cmon already, drop one!

Top Bottom