• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

DeaviL

Banned
No no no that is lame. That is some major cinematics>gameplay stuff and would derail matches too much just so some weirdos can mash face buttons and break their analog sticks.

Suppose it'll be no beam battles ever then, you just can't do that in a non cinematic way.
(Without it looking terribad)

One thing I want to say that is irritating me is how I see many on the net trying to use BT3 as a base to saying this game is bad. BT3 was 3rd installment and the cumulative effort of spike's design on the original tenkaichi games. Xenoverse however is built from scratch in 2.5 years. How is it logical to say "bt3 had this & that" when xenoverse is only its first game? Its not re using any assets or anything. Its a completely new franchise and all things considered i think its the BEST start to a dbz game franchise we have ever had.

Budokai 1 vs Budokai 3 (Insane differences / improvements)

Budokai Tenkaichi 1 vs Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (even more drastic improvements & changes)

Xenoverse is simply the first game. And i honestly believe xenoverse 1 destroys budokai 1 / Tenkaichi 1 in terms of polish, combat, character diversity and features. We have all of this online and a unique story even.

it just bugs me that people expect budokai tenkaichi 3 levels of change in the first game. they already spent 2+ years on the foundation, let them build form that with an amazing sequel rather than saying "Nope its not bt3 not buying" and expecting a dbz game to come out in its first installment to rival titles in their 3rd installments.

moai

Ive been hovering over the store on ps4 but i think im going to wait for some reviews, i was burned before on some db games.

Welfare

Xenoverse is simply the first game. And i honestly believe xenoverse 1 destroys budokai 1 / Tenkaichi 1 in terms of polish, combat, character diversity and features. We have all of this online and a unique story even.

Being better than Tenkaichi 1 isn't that much of a milestone :p

Being better than Tenkaichi 1 isn't that much of a milestone :p

My point is that this game is much much MUCH further ahead than any first installment to a dbz game franchise -_- im not saying cause its better than bt1 its auto the greatest game of all time lol

People just need to realize that this game is VERY Very good for only 2.5 dev cycle not to mention being held back by ps3/360. imagine what a sequel on xb1/ps4/pc can do.

I don't see them putting out a Xeno 2, unless it sells

Pretty much. Thats why Im trying to get people off of this "comparing first installments to 3rd(BT3) 4th(RB1) & 5th(RB2) installments nonsense. Its just a terrible way to say a game is bad by comparing it to games that had years and years of improvements layered into them.

I really hope NB is happy with the sales because we have not got a dbz game with this much potential in quite some time. I dont want to see it all go to waste and they go back to putting out bad ones (゚Д゚ )

Welfare

My point is that this game is much much MUCH further ahead than any first installment to a dbz game franchise -_- im not saying cause its better than bt1 its auto the greatest game of all time lol

People just need to realize that this game is VERY Very good for only 2.5 dev cycle not to mention being held back by ps3/360. imagine what a sequel on xb1/ps4/pc can do.
I got your point haha

A Xenoverse 2 should be amazing. I just hope it doesn't become another Burst Limit where there is no sequel made.

Omni

I've played like three Dragon Ball Z games before. Budokai 1/3 (in that HD pack) and Battle of Z.

I disliked Budokai 1, but found 3 to be really fun and 100% it on Xbox. I also really enjoyed Battle of Z. I tend to avoid as much information about games as possible before they're released and I don't really know any better at this point, but would it be fair to say that Xenoverse is like Battle of Z maybe?

piccolo85

Damn it, I WAS really almost convinced to get this. I am a huge Dragonball fan but haven't gotten an Dragonball game sine Budokai Tenkaichi 2. But my rule is pretty simple and stands firm: I do not preorder and if you hold something back from me as a preorder bonus I am not buying your game at all! Simple as that...

Malajax

One thing I want to say that is irritating me is how I see many on the net trying to use BT3 as a base to saying this game is bad. BT3 was 3rd installment and the cumulative effort of spike's design on the original tenkaichi games. Xenoverse however is built from scratch in 2.5 years. How is it logical to say "bt3 had this & that" when xenoverse is only its first game? Its not re using any assets or anything. Its a completely new franchise and all things considered i think its the BEST start to a dbz game franchise we have ever had.

Budokai 1 vs Budokai 3 (Insane differences / improvements)

Budokai Tenkaichi 1 vs Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (even more drastic improvements & changes)

it just bugs me that people expect budokai tenkaichi 3 levels of change in the first game. they already spent 2+ years on the foundation, let them build form that with an amazing sequel rather than saying "Nope its not bt3 not buying" and expecting a dbz game to come out in its first installment to rival titles in their 3rd installments.

Not going to pretend to know anything about game development, but what bugged me (and many others over the years) is that they started over completely from scratch with each new series. Budokai to Budokai Tenkaichi made sense because it was completely different. BT3 to Raging Blast was a complete downgrade when they were trying to be the same game. I'm sure Spike had to recreate assets from scratch, and that's fine. To completely overhaul the engine and make it way worse? Not saying BT3 was amazing, but it was a damn good framework that didn't need much more to be an awesome game.

Doesn't really apply to Xenoverse since it's by a different team, but that's the way I've looked at BT3 vs the games that came after it by the same developer.

I've played like three Dragon Ball Z games before. Budokai 1/3 (in that HD pack) and Battle of Z.

I disliked Budokai 1, but found 3 to be really fun and 100% it on Xbox. I also really enjoyed Battle of Z. I tend to avoid as much information about games as possible before they're released and I don't really know any better at this point, but would it be fair to say that Xenoverse is like Battle of Z maybe?

If you liked BoZ then you will love Xenoverse. Battle of Z was a heavy team focused arcade brawler. Xenoverse borrowed a lot of what made BoZ good but cut all the really dry non suitable parts. This game still has multi player battles and the 3D free roam fighting. The combat system is much more in depth than battle of Z so you get an actual sense of getting better & better at fighting with your created character (or the main roster) where as BoZ once you learned the 1 combo the game has you were already at the wall :p

Xenoverse isnt exactly like BOZ but as i said it takes the things that were good about BOZ & merges it with the Budokai style. Lots of combat to learn & enjoy.

Alchemy

If you liked BoZ then you will love Xenoverse. Battle of Z was a heavy team focused arcade brawler. Xenoverse borrowed a lot of what made BoZ good but cut all the really dry non suitable parts. This game still has multi player battles and the 3D free roam fighting. The combat system is much more in depth than battle of Z so you get an actual sense of getting better & better at fighting with your created character (or the main roster) where as BoZ once you learned the 1 combo the game has you were already at the wall :p

Xenoverse isnt exactly like BOZ but as i said it takes the things that were good about BOZ & merges it with the Budokai style. Lots of combat to learn & enjoy.

Stop making me hyped for Xenoverse. I already have this preorder and am getting the Season Pass... just need the damn thing to release >.<

Not going to pretend to know anything about game development, but what bugged me (and many others over the years) is that they started over completely from scratch with each new series. Budokai to Budokai Tenkaichi made sense because it was completely different. BT3 to Raging Blast was a complete downgrade when they were trying to be the same game. I'm sure Spike had to recreate assets from scratch, and that's fine. To completely overhaul the engine and make it way worse? Not saying BT3 was amazing, but it was a damn good framework that didn't need much more to be an awesome game.

Doesn't really apply to Xenoverse since it's by a different team, but that's the way I've looked at BT3 vs the games that came after it by the same developer.

You seem to be missing alot of info with this thing that bugs you. No team that ever worked on successful dbz games ever started over completely until now.

Dimps made Budokai 1,2,3 etc & a few other platform games(Burstlimit on 360 /ps3, shin budokai's on the psp etc). None of dimps older games were completely remade or starting over. they all had the same budokai engine.

Spike made Tenkaichi 1,2, 3, raging blast 1 & 2 and a few other games.

Ultimate tenkaichi was also made by spike.

Spike never completely scrapped & started over with any of these games. They all have the same tenkaichi code at their core.

Battle of z was made by chunsoft. it was their first dbz game entirely.

Xenoverse was made by dimps. The main reason they started from scratch is the legacy tech they made for the old budokai games would take so much overhauling to turn into the game we got it just isnt worth the work. it was much more advantageous to just build everything anew to fit the vision they wanted with the online / created characters & more.

Stopped making me hyped for Xenoverse. I already have this preorder and am getting the Season Pass... just need the damn thing to release >.<

It is so fun! I have been playing it 6 days straight and I am no where near exhausted or bored. I havent even fought online or co op yet.. I have just been training my characters & trying to master the combat as best as possible as well as unlock more things.

It is so fun! I have been playing it 6 days straight and I am no where near exhausted or bored. I havent even fought online or co op yet.. I have just been training my characters & trying to master the combat as best as possible as well as unlock more things.

I had no idea you were playing. What race / level are you atm?

I've been overly exhausted the past few days, playing non-stop. I've restarted multiple times in order to properly test out each race...kind of seeing how well they're balanced and forming a mental tier list.

same. I got to level 40+ with 4 characters already and reset each time xD You are going to laugh but i didnt know that beating the game automatically unlocked ALL of the character creation slots. I thought all this time that it would only unlock one, so i have been just deleting my first character over & over to try different races which means i had to recollect items & supers & such each time @_@ this time around I am the highest level i have been(57) and I am a female saiyan version made after my real life self (&#65344;&#12539;&#969;&#12539;´)&#65346;

I have played frieza race, female human & female majin up to 40s level before i reset them for the next one.

what about you?

DeaviL

Banned
have played frieza race, female human & female majin up to 40s level before i reset them for the next one.

Is the story carbon copy across all races or are there small things (scenarios, conversations) that differ depending on what race you play?

Alchemy

I meant "stop" not "stopped"... I'm hyped as shit. I really like Battle of Z and want to make a lady Super Saiyan FINALLY. Hurry up and release dang it!

same. I got to level 40+ with 4 characters already and reset each time xD You are going to laugh but i didnt know that beating the game automatically unlocked ALL of the character creation slots. I thought all this time that it would only unlock one, so i have been just deleting my first character over & over to try different races which means i had to recollect items & supers & such each time @_@ this time around I am the highest level i have been(57) and I am a female saiyan version made after my real life self (&#65344;&#12539;&#969;&#12539;´)&#65346;

I have played frieza race, female human & female majin up to 40s level before i reset them for the next one.

what about you?

My first character was a level 50 something Namekian. I then played around with Frieza, Male Saiyan and Male Majin. The only reason I'm specifying gender is due to not being sure if their movesets differ. So far I've found that the Saiyan and Frieza are probably the best (so far), solely due to their movesets. They can pull off continuous combos...barring evasive skills and stamina usage, whereas Namekians and Male Majin annoyingly knock their opponents away. Namekian regeneration did save my butt a few times, when I had no idea how to properly play.

I'm currently giving Namekians a second try...but ultimately, I think I'm going to have play the over-saturated Saiyans :p.

has it been confirmed that you can go ssj3 with the custom character yet?

Unfortunately not, only SSJ1 & 2. Apart from SSJ, characters (all races) can use Kaikoen, x3 and x20. There's also a transformation called "Super Vegeta" that Saiyans can equip. I'm not entirely sure what it does....no firsthand experience with it as of yet.

Unfortunately not, only SSJ1 & 2. Apart from SSJ, characters (all races) can use Kaikoen, x3 and x20. There's also a transformation called "Super Vegeta" that Saiyans can equip. I'm not entirely sure what it does....no firsthand experience with it as of yet.

Super Vegeta & Super Vegeta 2 are basically ssj & ssj2 but for vegeta in this game. They booost ki more than physical when you transform into it. ssj & ssj2 raise physical attack more than they raise ki when you transform into it.

They could have named it better since people will probably get confused & think super vegeta is simply the ascended saiyan form he used in the cell saga lol

Is the story carbon copy across all races or are there small things (scenarios, conversations) that differ depending on what race you play?

There are little changes to dialogue especially in game. they say some interesting things to the races =)

Varna

Any chance the PC version will be half decent? If this game is pretty decent then I'm definitely want to get it.

Revven

Any chance the PC version will be half decent? If this game is pretty decent then I'm definitely want to get it.

Well, PC version is confirmed to have 60 FPS as an option. If I were you though I'd wait for impressions on it, though, just to be safe. There are chances it could be a bad port job -- hopefully it won't be but you never know with Bamco games esp. when Naruto Storm on PC released last year and wasn't super great I heard.

iavi

Well, PC version is confirmed to have 60 FPS as an option. If I were you though I'd wait for impressions on it, though, just to be safe. There are chances it could be a bad port job -- hopefully it won't be but you never know with Bamco games esp. when Naruto Storm on PC released last year and wasn't super great I heard.

The Naruto ports are fine. They're barebones, and are locked at 30, but they're not bug ridden and run on anything.

That's CC2 doing their own work, though. I don't think it's been said who's porting Xenoverse yet

Omni

That sounds awesome. Thanks for the reply!

Omni

If you are getting it on xbox one maybe we can fight &#12541;(*&#12539;&#969;&#12539;)&#65417;

Of course!

That actually reminds me that I still need to preorder to get SSJ4 Vegeta or whatever it is. Apparently the digital version of the game is releasing a day after the physical version here in Australia though. Which is annoying ;_;

YRuafraid

Banned
Is this pronounced "Ex-no-verse" or "Zeno-verse"?

Any words that start with X should be pronounced "Ex" damnit.. don't care about the laws

Can you play against the other characters that you have created?

If I'm getting the news correct, you can ONLY play against the CAW you're using in the story mode, you cannot have a tournament against your other CAW's and you can't take another CAW you created into a parallel quest unless its a replica of the one you are already playing as.

Even Ultimate tenkaichi with its empty gameplay let you chose throws and melee attack sets..

you're pretty much stuck with what ever melee set and throws your race starts with, and some of the races are terrible in that regard.

The only part of the game that was pretty much forcing me to buy the game sounds more and more lackluster as time passes.

Lazy Dimps.

Top Bottom