• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

If I'm getting the news correct, you can ONLY play against the CAW you're using in the story mode, you cannot have a tournament against your other CAW's and you can't take another CAW you created into a parallel quest unless its a replica of the one you are already playing as.

Even Ultimate tenkaichi with its empty gameplay let you chose throws and melee attack sets..

you're pretty much stuck with what ever melee set and throws your race starts with, and some of the races are terrible in that regard.

The only part of the game that was pretty much forcing me to buy the game sounds more and more lackluster as time passes.

Lazy Dimps.
I'm almost entirely certain that you can play against your own CAC in free battle modes.

To be fair to the game every race and gender has unique melee and in Ultimate Tenkaichi you only got to borrow someone else's from the series.

Calling them lazy is also a bit far, the game is huge in scope and is probably the best Dragonball Z game content wise as of yet and this is probably coupled with a relatively small budget.

I'm almost entirely certain that you can play against your own CAC in free battle modes.

To be fair to the game every race and gender has unique melee and in Ultimate Tenkaichi you only got to borrow someone else's from the series.

Calling them lazy is also a bit far, the game is huge in scope and is probably the best Dragonball Z game content wise as of yet and this is probably coupled with a relatively small budget.

Agreed. People dont realize how amazing this game is for the budget / time frame it was made.. not to mention building it for FIVE platforms at once and not coming out a broken glitchy mess. the 360 disc size is the biggest hold back with this game. its only 9gb. if it was on ps4/xb1/pc only it would have been much much bigger in scope as far as all the games features. I really want to support this game so it gets a sequel. me & my friends all bought the game 2 times even (°□°)

Stuart444

Am I right in thinking all versions have their own servers for multi? or is it all in on one server?

I wouldn't expect XB people to play with PS people.

PC + others though, who knows. If they are going for Parity it could indeed be all versions have their own servers.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Can your CAC have a mix of moves from different characters?

Thinking for my Female Human, I'll make her adult Marron, and give her a mix of Krillin and 18's moves.

Also, any outfits based on Yajirobe's wardrobe? His sword?

so uh... how's the story?

Seriously, I haven't bought a DBZ game since DBZ legends on PS1. The biggest draw for me is actually this weird time travel story.

so uh... how's the story?

Seriously, I haven't bought a DBZ game since DBZ legends on PS1. The biggest draw for me is actually this weird time travel story.
Well all of the what-if stories are fully voiced with well done cutscenes, you can choose 'masters' such as Cell, Gotenks, Goku, etc... to teach you new moves. The game is RPG ish in terms of skill points and attribution.

From what I have seen and heard the story is much like the actual series, not too complex but a lot of fun. Combine that with seeing funny what-ifs like Ginyu taking over Vegeta's body and he Ginyu force existing such as that or Mr. Satan being beefed up to Saiyan-like levels and I think it's very enjoyable.

The Saiyan races melee happens to be the worst, too much knock back if you're not careful, I WANT to borrow from someone elses from the series, and change it when i get bored with it, thats part of what made it work with that game for the hour that i actually enjoyed it.

The Saiyan races melee happens to be the worst, too much knock back if you're not careful, I WANT to borrow from someone elses from the series, and change it when i get bored with it, thats part of what made it work with that game for the hour that i actually enjoyed it.
It's fair enough to dislike something, I just took umbrage at you calling the developer 'lazy' for it.

chaosaeon

Namco posted a gameplay video, which might or might not be slightly edited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy1AoTbGEfE

These Just Guards, backattacks, baits. It looks glorious.

Now if they only nerfed some Z-Souls and Deathball...

That SS transformation is pretty pitiful compared to older games. Instant and lacking any sort of power, but damn the light shading on him when he's transformed after is niice. I see beams still whiff like nobody's business.

The Saiyan melee string / moveset is capable of infinitely chaining on A.I characters (If they use an evasive skill or a knockback, you can instantly fly back up in their faces and start again). The same goes for the Frieza race too. If you press square / X (XB1) while you're dashing to an opponent, the combo following that spam always results in a knock. This is with all races, and every single character. If you land the initial punch after a dash, then pause for .5 seconds, you start an un-altered melee string and can go back to an infinite loop.

Saiyan infinite loop = (You need to be in the air...not standing on flat ground) Press Square / X (XB1) 3-4x and then press triangle / Y. Rinse and repeat.

Online however, this is actually irrelevant, as competitive players use the most optimal evasive skills, and at high level gameplay (so far)...damage is dealt is small clashes and bursts, with frequent stand-offish periods of Ki (circle / B) spam inbetween. This is due to needing to let stamina regen. Most top tier players are using the android stamina drain ability, which is incorporated into melee combos. Overpowered stuff imo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is this game different than the Tenkaichi/Sparking series? 1 and 2 of those games were the last 3D DBZ games I played. It seems like there have been a bunch of DBZ games released using that similar looking style, but is it the same thing? Is this more like the arcade game in Japan or something?

I remember my friends and I playing the shit out of Tenkaichi 1, trying to find the most broken, cheap tactics possible, like Krillin mini-kienzan infinite combo, or Andriod 18 instant overhead unblockable ultimate kienzan. Good times.

FootballFan

Anyone here know where I can purchase the season pass? =/

Can't seem to find it on the PS Store - (New Zealand)

Or hasn't it been released yet?

Is this game different than the Tenkaichi/Sparking series? 1 and 2 of those games were the last 3D DBZ games I played. It seems like there have been a bunch of DBZ games released using that similar looking style, but is it the same thing? Is this more like the arcade game in Japan or something?

I remember my friends and I playing the shit out of Tenkaichi 1, trying to find the most broken, cheap tactics possible, like Krillin mini-kienzan infinite combo, or Andriod 18 instant overhead unblockable ultimate kienzan. Good times.
Tenkaichi in 'style' but the combinations, attacks, etc... are all very Budokai. I have not heard one person say that the open, free-fly style of this game isn't better than the Tenkaichi series or anything that came after it.

Anyone here know where I can purchase the season pass? =/

Can't seem to find it on the PS Store - (New Zealand)

Or hasn't it been released yet?
Probably just not released yet. It isn't in any store the last time I checked.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tenkaichi in 'style' but the combinations, attacks, etc... are all very Budokai. I have not heard one person say that the open, free-fly style of this game isn't better than the Tenkaichi series or anything that came after it.

Thanks. Maybe I missed it in the OP, but will the NA version be able to have Japanese voices with English subtitles?

I am flip-flopping so hard on this game. I haven't played a DBZ fighting game since Budokai 2 way back when and even then I have never been a big fighting game fan.

But...DBZ...

Santar

I'm beginning to get quite interested in this game.
The combat actually looks quite fun and it's got a interesting new take on the story.
The fighting looks like it has a real good feel to it, and the rpg like parts with character creation, customization and quests look fun too.

though there are two points that stop me from buying it.
1 All the DLC that the game is getting, I just hate the fact that already long before a game is out they start showing all the stuff you're NOT getting when you buy their brand new game.

2 I don't have playstation plus (I do not pay to play online, I hardly play mp and servers for games gets taken down no matter what on psn) and I'm worried that I'll miss out on some of the online connectivity (not talking about versus). Have they announced what features you need pls plus for?

I am flip-flopping so hard on this game. I haven't played a DBZ fighting game since Budokai 2 way back when and even then I have never been a big fighting game fan.

But...DBZ...
Do it for the create-a-character as well as the aforementioned Ghost Nappa!

Thanks. Maybe I missed it in the OP, but will the NA version be able to have Japanese voices with English subtitles?
Yes, yes you can.

Oh ok thanks.

Hopefully it isn't too expensive lol.
It's $25, 25EUR and £20 as far as I seem to remember.

New002

So I know the following isn't Xenoverse related, and for that I apologize, but it is DBZ related!

So Xenoverse has kind of got me in DBZ fighting game mode and the only DBZ fighter I currently own, which I have only played once for a brief moment, is Super DBZ. Anyways I played it for quite a bit today and it was really fun, but what I want to share is this crazy combo video that I came across:

Super Dragon Ball Z - Combo Video Vol. 1

Kind of blew me away with the things that are possible in this game.

I'm still on the fence about Xenoverse and change my mind daily on if I'm going to pre-order or not. I just can't decide!

I don't think I've ever been this excited for a Dragonball game in a long time. First thing I'm going to do is make a human character reminiscent of Late-Dragonball/Early DBZ.

That said, a few questions:

1. I feel like I already know the answer but are there options for attacks with a sword? Of any kind?
Power Pole maybe? :>
I blame Trunks for doing this to me.

2. How does Kaioken stack up to Super Saiyan or any other transformation?

I don't think I've ever been this excited for a Dragonball game in a long time. First thing I'm going to do is make a human character reminiscent of Late-Dragonball/Early DBZ.

1. I feel like I already know the answer but are there options for attacks with a sword? Of any kind?

Power Pole is a moveset added with the first DLC pack.

SSJ-Luffy

Neo Member

There are currently 2 super/special attacks, which utilises a sword. The catch is that you create the sword out of nothing and is not part of your basic moveset, unless you're playing Future Trunks. Well, at least it's a sword.
Power Pole is a DLC super attack coming.

Is Tien any good in this? Even properly leveled up compared to the Saiyans?

From what I heard Tenshinhan is not really good. Yamcha is a beast according some people, though. Don't take my words for granted though.
Cell is a beast in this game.

Posting some noteworthy stuff from youtube:
Vegetto vs Broly (AI): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84w37ATQS6k
Time Patrol Trunks vs SSJ4 Gogeta (AI): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIFDyBlpQKU
Showcase of defensive option (or how to avoid Deathball): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6OeUg6aQBc
1vs1 matches someone recorded from twitch: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNpmaJ-34eQ8MqrucBXu8ow

No , let bioware manage their franchises , we all saw what happenned to sonic when bioware tried. i'm not ready to see anything else shatterred from my childhood.

Wasn't that game significantly rushed or something? I seem to recall reading something about a troubled development behind the scenes.

I can honestly say now that I can create my own character I'll never use any of the default characters ever again.

How dare you oppose Vegeta?

lol this made me laugh.

From what I heard Tenshinhan is not really good. Yamcha is a beast according some people, though. Don't take my words for granted though.
Cell is a beast in this game.l]

=/ Well, at least Tien can still Tri-Beam cell 400 times! ;o

I dunno, Tien's my dude. He's no Saiyan but he's always trying his best. I'll try once again to make him awesome.

I've always loved Kaio-Ken Goku far more than regular SSJ.

What drove me crazy was the one movie where they let him use Kaio-Ken while in SSJ form. >_>

Top Bottom