• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Shauni

Naw, Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. from GT had even less Saiyan blood in them than Pan and they could go Super Saiyan without breaking a sweat. Toriyama already said the only reason is because they could not agree on how a female Super Saiyan would look.

Lol, that's so dumb. All the Saiyans look the same just with golden spikey hair until SSJ4 (which I guess isn't even canon anymore), what would be so different about a female Saiyan that it would be a debate?

elhav

So guys, how is the story mode here? I really really hope it's good because it's my favourite part about DBZ games.

Yaari

So guys, how is the story mode here? I really really hope it's good because it's my favourite part about DBZ games.

Don't have the game but I've seen only positive things. People were tired of reliving the same story that has been told many times, and this approach at offering something different seems to be well received.

Revven

It's really, really good (so far for me). It's better than anything we've gotten from last gen. You won't finish it in a single sitting, either.

MormaPope

Banned
Haven't played a full DBZ game since Budokai 1, played the demos for the more recent DBZ games but nothing else. Really hyped, the character creator and the AngryCentaurGaming review is what pushed me to buy it.

elhav

Don't have the game but I've seen only positive things. People were tired of reliving the same story that has been told many times, and this approach at offering something different seems to be well received.
Ahh good to hear thanks
It's really, really good (so far for me). It's better than anything we've gotten from last gen. You won't finish it in a single sitting, either.
Awesome, so it's not just stuffed in there like in the last DBZ games?
Guess I have to check it out then

patchday

I asked this twitch streamer that I've been following and he said the netcode feels good but sometimes janky stuff happens (people get dropped). I haven't made it to the part where I can play online yet myself. But watching him right now it seems good

This should answer people on last page asking bout netcode. He's currently streaming Online Parallel Quests

is there any kind of training mode in the game at all? i really just wanna get in the lab and practice some strings and shit, but i can't find a training mode to save my life.

...tell me that they didn't ship this game without a training mode...

Man, how do you counter some of these things? I have a lot of trouble with continuous ki blasts. You can't teleport out of it or even block after the first hit.

Also, ultimate attacks seem to be too hard to dodge. They're invincible during it, like they don't even take damage.

Revven

is there any kind of training mode in the game at all? i really just wanna get in the lab and practice some strings and shit, but i can't find a training mode to save my life.

...tell me that they didn't ship this game without a training mode...

Unfortunately, they did... >_>

You're stuck with using local MP and a 2P dummy if you have a second controller lying around.

Yaari

Is this game good? What's GAFs opinion?

I have zero interest in DB but a couple of coworkers picked it up and I'm thinking about it.

I think its getting pretty good reviews from people so far. That said, I wouldn't jump into it if that is the way you feel about it.

I'm very skeptical about the online part. I'll have to see it but I can't see it be appealing for long.

I think its getting pretty good reviews from people so far. That said, I wouldn't jump into it if that is the way you feel about it.

I'm very skeptical about the online part. I'll have to see it but I can't see it be appealing for long.
My honest opinion is if are not a fan of DB then you would not like this game.

I mean I don't hate DB or anything, it's just not something I really care about as an IP anymore (I watched and enjoyed it when I was a kid). But if a game is good I won't skip out on it just because it happens to be set in that universe.

Been playing this all day.
The thought of a Xenoverse 2 gets me excited.
This game is pretty good but with a bit more polish and no cross gen, I think it could be the best DBZ game.
It appears this game is selling well so if a sequel happens, I think it'll be near perfect.

Awesome, so it's not just stuffed in there like in the last DBZ games?
Guess I have to check it out then
The story is basically the whole point of this game so in that respect it most certainly is not 'stuffed in'.

It can get grindy though (not in a bad way). Parallel Quests have a list of possible drops and you'll have to play a lot to get all items. Sort of like Monster Hunter. These are the equivalent of side-quests though, there's so much to do in this game.

Unfortunately, they did... >_>

You're stuck with using local MP and a 2P dummy if you have a second controller lying around.

lbNQXh.jpg

I got to say, Xenoverse is pretty good! The lip syncing throws me off a bit, but the action and change of plot really makes it great.

Also... hearing Trunks yell every time you talk to him isn't great...

how do you guys have your controls mapped? I tried the three but I hate flying with L2 so I stuck with the C settings but it's awkward hitting L1 to teleport behind the other players I always forget to use it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Lol no AF on ps4....it's so bad, does Xbox one have AF?

Also hot damnn this game is fucking amazing! Best dbz game probably since budokai 3

elhav

The story is basically the whole point of this game so in that respect it most certainly is not 'stuffed in'.

It can get grindy though (not in a bad way). Parallel Quests have a list of possible drops and you'll have to play a lot to get all items. Sort of like Monster Hunter. These are the equivalent of side-quests though, there's so much to do in this game.
Sounds good. I also saw the Angry centaur gaming review and it looks pretty good from there.

One thing I want to know is if the game offers a japanese dub option. Haven't seen it mentioned in the review

how do you guys have your controls mapped? I tried the three but I hate flying with L2 so I stuck with the C settings but it's awkward hitting L1 to teleport behind the other players I always forget to use it.

i'm in the same boat. it's nice to have the descend button not be L3 and I like R1 for blocking, but L1 for quick recoveries and vanishing feels awkward.

None of control schemes make much sense. Why is L3 descend by default? Why is teleport mapped to jump instead of guard? Why am I still dealing with control schemes in 2015?

yeahhhhh. i can't help but be a little disappointed with how rough this game is around the edges. obviously there was a lot of work put in to the cutscenes and fighting systems, but not having a training mode or fully customizable buttons seems totally ridiculous, especially coming from dimps. hope issues like that get worked out in a sequel.

None of control schemes make much sense. Why is L3 descend by default? Why is teleport mapped to jump instead of guard? Why am I still dealing with control schemes in 2015?

Durden77

Went ahead and grabbed the PS4 version. So far I'm digging the game play. Feels similar to Tenkaichi but with smart changes that needed to be made. And it looks rockin. Great effects. The character creation is fun too, although I was a bit dissapointed when I quickly found a dude at the Time Patrol place that looked exactly like me.

Anyone know if there's a way to do a ki charge? It's usually always some weird hidden command.

Dominator

Picked it up this afternoon, can't wait to get home and play tonight after class. Hype is real for one of my favorite franchises.

I know it's been said but I'd kill for CyberConnect2 to make a DB game. I hate Naruto but damn I love the games.

So how do you communicate with people online.
I see a bunch of people around me that look like online players but no one is chatting with the text box thing.

Maxios

Went ahead and grabbed the PS4 version. So far I'm digging the game play. Feels similar to Tenkaichi but with smart changes that needed to be made. And it looks rockin. Great effects. The character creation is fun too, although I was a bit dissapointed when I quickly found a dude at the Time Patrol place that looked exactly like me.

Anyone know if there's a way to do a ki charge? It's usually always some weird hidden command.

I think to do a ki charge, you require a special ability to be equipped.

SougoXIII

For the advance players in this thread, does the CAC's normal strings have any jump/step cancels in them? With no training mode I can't really test these things properly.

If you guys don't mind what's the character limit for names? I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours and am killing some time by thinking of funny names to use for some characters.

For the advance players in this thread, does the CAC's normal strings have any jump/step cancels in them? With no training mode I can't really test these things properly.

Each character has 2 Step Cancels, I believe.
(Default Controls) Triangle, Triangle, Square and another one I'm forgetting at the movement.
Problem is, Step Canceling is pretty much useless if you hit an opponent with this because it sends them flying and you can't follow up. The beta had Step Cancels for a lot of strings but were removed in the full game.
I've yet to preform a Jump Cancel off of a string but you can Jump Cancel a Kamehameha.

Also, if you want a ghetto training mode, you can always do the tutorial of offline time patrol quests lol.
You don't get an enemy but you have unlimited time to just screw around.
Though I'm not sure you can Jump Cancel on whiff, you can Step Cancel on whiff.

Top Bottom