• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Muzicfreq

Banned
The sunglasses are by far the best accessory to put on a Frieza race character.

It really makes them look Cooler

You did it gaf. Downloading now.

original

Just wanted to drop in again and give the game as many thumbs up as my body allows.

Having a fantastic time, been quite some time since I've had such fun playing video games, so very refreshing and reminds me what I love about the platform.

patchday

Just beat the game. Been playing since launch but didn't record how many hours I spent. This varies from person to person since some folks will go farm PQs when they hit a brick wall while others will look up strategies. I also spent time maxing out my mentor (Vegeta) and experimented with other mentors

The bad:
  • Server issues
  • Sometimes the Camera auto pitches and doesnt stop til you go into a mission
  • Some boss fights towards the end can become super frustrating
  • I wish the fighting arena were bigger (not really a con- that might break gameplay I dunno)
  • Cannot preview clothes before buying
  • Only saiyans can transform

The good
  • Intelligent mix of RPG / Brawler
  • Has Random loot (oh noes!) but most important items can be purchased in store (like super Saiyan)
  • Mentors are an awesome addition but can feel a bit buggy due to lack of feedback
  • Graphics is very solid. I love the cities
  • Has a MMO hub area!
  • Combat is great fun
  • Character creation is a blast. You remember how in Destiny you'd create a character but had to wait til you got all the way to the Tower to see what your dude/gal really looked like ingame? In this game you can rotate your character around, zoom, etc.

Overall this is easily a must buy for any dragonball fan. I loved the story. Didn't even touch the pvp side of the game yet

holy shit, they're still making these?

Yes, they're still making these.
hmmm can't connect on pc. I just want to play single player... the fuck?

Put Steam into offline mode if the server is bothering you; DBXV won't try connecting.

Really? So it's just unlimited Ki pools? Does Kaioken increase strength? Haven't tried either yet.

They must really didn't want Saiyans to be dominant online.

I think the answer in the next game would be for all races to have powerups earned through the campaign or adventures, that are then used in battle against stronger foes. They can be stuff like unlocked potential, weighted armour, mystic training, Super Saiyan, Kaioken, transformations, etc, that are reached in battle and escalate the combat, DBZ style. "You've defeated me... now let me show you my true power."

Really? So it's just unlimited Ki pools? Does Kaioken increase strength? Haven't tried either yet.

They must really didn't want Saiyans to be dominant online.

Uh I haven't tried kaioken. My saiyan has like 70 ki to maintain SSJ2 form.

I did a one on one with hercule and a four hit combo didn't do that much more, or any more damage than in normal form.

Looks like kaioken doesn't do much either. nothing noticeable anyway

Real bummer because I spent lots of time on my Saiyan who's supposed to be strong at normal melee attacks. Now it just seems shitty.

Varna

Looks like kaioken doesn't do much either. nothing noticeable anyway

I think it helps attack power all around while active. Not by much, but some! Also x20 lets you use infinite stamina while active so you can get some really nice combos in or being fairly hard to hit.

I think it helps attack power all around while active. Not by much, but some! Also x20 lets you use infinite stamina while active so you can get some really nice combos in or being fairly hard to hit.

I dunno. I do a four hit combo normal, and do a four hit combo in kaioken/ssj, and it just looks like it took off the same amount of health.

Melee really blows too. Just too easy to counter and too hard to land hits.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One thing that bugs me is the cheap looking "standing while floating" animation that plays whenever you finish a fight.

Actually, the game has a ton of little issues with graphics and sound (did anyone else experience the dialouge getting really quiet during the body switch scene?) that sort of bug me, Raging Blast 2 looked and sounded great but this game is a step-down like in every way from the in terms of visual and audio.

Also no "Museum" is sort of lame. I mean, I know who these characters are, but I appreciate that mode in these games so you can read up on them, listen to quotes, etc.

CryptiK

I would give you advice since I'm now L43. But Vegeta keeps telling me I'm weak and I cannot defeat him within the time limit so...

But for real I just dump my points into long range ki/stamina.
Um.. If you are Freeza race you should be dumping into Basic Attacks and Strike Supers.

Revven

It's a percentage increase, not a straight damage increase for both SSJ and Kaioken. Kaioken x20 is supposed to give somewhere around +35% increase in attack power.

It's very similar to the Budokais where each transformation a character had gave a %age increase in attack power. It was even listed in the training mode for those games. Dimps is handling it similarly here except for less forms. It was subtle in Budokai 1-3 and it's subtle here but it will matter if you don't have the forms.

Omni

If I do the Saiyan Pride quest while using SSJ Goku, can I still unlock the 20x Kaioken or do I need to use my custom character?

Dominator

Man I'm getting tired of Krillin's shit lol JUST LET ME FINISH YOUR CRAP!

I am clearly doing something wrong with this Master shit. I have all 3 moves he's given me so far and I try to use them constantly and to finish battles.

Man I'm getting tired of Krillin's shit lol JUST LET ME FINISH YOUR CRAP!

I am clearly doing something wrong with this Master shit. I have all 3 moves he's given me so far and I try to use them constantly and to finish battles.

Fight alongside him in PQ quests. Like with both AI slots taken up as krillin.

Nordicus

welp uh, got Kaioken x20 on my first try.
It does about 10-20% more damage? That's pretty low imo.

Transformations really suck.
I checked it out, let my Majin only throw Hercule to death, and with kaioken x20, the amount of throws required went from 17 to 14 unless I miscounted somewhere. That's anywhere between 14-31%

The attack boost is worthless, unless it also buffs up Strike Supers which I didn't check

I checked it out, let my Majin only throw Hercule to death, and with kaioken x20, the amount of throws required went from 17 to 14 unless I miscounted somewhere. That's anywhere between 14-31%

The attack boost is worthless, unless it also buffs up Strike Supers which I didn't check

Yah it just seems like a negligible boost for losing a massive amounts of defense by draining stamina. Really shit.

Leveling a Frieza race dude. It's all about the Ki Blast now.

Spux666

Banned
Got a couple questions for you gaf.

1. What is kaioken x20? I unlocked it but I have no idea what it is or what it does. Is it a passive? Do I apply it somehow? What are the effects?

2. Does the number beside equipment mean anything? I'm trying to figure out which gear is better. Do I just look at stat changes and the descriptions for other abilities?

Nordicus

Yah it just seems like a negligible boost for losing a massive amounts of defense by draining stamina. Really shit.
One thing I liked in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was that Kaioken buffed up the damage of Kaioken Attack in particular by like 60%

"Double it but go no further" Z-soul might make lower Kaiokens worth while precisely because Kaiokens last a very short time compared to other buff skills. When I tried the Z-soul with a speed-boosting Ginyu pose, the increase in my melee damage was actually pretty instantly noticeable, but the significant health drain made it very risky due to its duration

Do you unlock more normal attack combos later on or are you stuck with the very basic ones you start with? I enjoy some of them but it's very repetitive and as a Human who gets a bonus to attack with full Ki, I figured I'd do a full attack char that only uses ultimates every now and then, which works fine at the moment but it's also pretty boring as I don't get any upgrades. Even strike powers are pretty rare compared to Ki blasts. Tempted to just reroll into a full strike power or ki blast user instead and not bother with normal attacks anymore.

ssj doesn't raise my character's hair. is it like that for most of them or did i just get unlucky with my character's haircut? that's really shitty. i thought the limited haircuts was due to them having to make 3 versions for each one (base, ssj and ssj2), but once i transformed and the hair stayed the same, it was such a letdown

also i understand they didn't want to make the transformations imbalanced but ssj is so bad. all you can do with it is beamspam. they should've given the humans mystic form and the aliens would be easy to have transformations too. real bummer

I'm gonna level a character without spending any points lol. Thank god for using other characters.

you have to do the story missions with your character, and some sidequests where you go around town speaking to people also require you to use them until you beat them once. once you get to cell (or true form freeza, if you're melee), the missions start getting harder

Muzicfreq

Banned
ssj doesn't raise my character's hair. is it like that for most of them or did i just get unlucky with my character's haircut? that's really shitty. i thought the limited haircuts was due to them having to make 3 versions for each one (base, ssj and ssj2), but once i transformed and the hair stayed the same, it was such a letdown

also i understand they didn't want to make the transformations unbalanced but ssj is so bad. all you can do with it it spam beams. they should've given the humans mystic form and the aliens would be easy to have transformations too. real bummer

Hair just changes color for created

you have to do the story missions with your character, and some sidequests where you go around town speaking to people also require you to use them until you beat them once. once you get to cell (or true form freeza, if you're melee), the missions start getting harder

Oh I already beat everything. Leveling alts.

Varna

For some reason I thought you got free Vanish when Kaioken x20 was active. With six bars of stamina it only last a short while... so yeah, pretty worthless.

Is there a detailed list anywhere of what the transformations actually do?

Top Bottom