• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SSJ4 Vegeta is like cheating. Quests are a breeze with 3 of them.

I wish there was a training mode so that I can figure out this battle system better. Not sure hot to combo optimally.

Nordicus

Did further testing. My Majin killed Hercule with 14.5 Super Drains normally, 12.5 with Kaioken x20 on. So roughly 12-20% increase on Strike Super damage.

I also tested the ATK boost of Fighting Pose E, and it gives a buff of roughly 15-20% to your normal attacks while having longer duration and consuming no Stamina.

I think at this point it's safe to say that Kaioken, and Kaioken x3 are a complete waste of skill slot. Kaioken x20 still gives you that infinite Stamina which makes you a melee beast, but without that, do not bother.

Permanently A

I had the most riveting experience with this game today. Basically I've been farming quests to make story mode easier. In the meantime I took Vegeta as my mentor. After about two hours of running missions Vegeta finally deemed me worthy for his final test. Excited, I quickly jumped in. I failed to realize that the fight difficulty was six stars and the highest I had fought before that was only three.

So we start the fight and its pretty easy. Combo, ultimate Barrage, bye by- wait, what? Oh, he's going Super Saiyan. No problemo, his health is still the same so its manageable. I get roughed up a bit, but manage to gather up enough ki to put him away for good with another Barrage. Finally, it's ov-

He goes SSJ2.

At this point I'm panicking. I've never had to fight an SSJ2 in any mission up to this point. His health has fully refilled and he is extremely angry. I rack my brains for an out. I quick pop an energy pill and evaluate my options.

Suddenly, I realize my other ultimate, the one I had totally forgot about since I picked it up the last time I had played. It was Super Vegeta, or in other words... Super Saiyan. The stage was set. I went into Super Saiyan and poured my all into it, firing barrage after barrage. Even when I realized he actually had two health bars instead of one, I wasn't phased. I was in the zone. My SSJ form would beat his SSJ2. It had to. And it did.

Now, I have one of the most ruthless combos I've seen in the game. Super Vegeta into quadruple Final Flash ultimates. All thanks to my master Vegeta.

I really have to say, this game is something special.

Teknoman

I had the most riveting experience with this game today. Basically I've been farming quests to make story mode easier. In the meantime I took Vegeta as my mentor. After about two hours of running missions Vegeta finally deemed me worthy for his final test. Excited, I quickly jumped in. I failed to realize that the fight difficulty was six stars and the highest I had fought before that was only three.

So we start the fight and its pretty easy. Combo, ultimate Barrage, bye by- wait, what? Oh, he's going Super Saiyan. No problemo, his health is still the same so its manageable. I get roughed up a bit, but manage to gather up enough ki to put him away for good with another Barrage. Finally, it's ov-

He goes SSJ2.

At this point I'm panicking. I've never had to fight an SSJ2 in any mission up to this point. His health has fully refilled and he is extremely angry. I rack my brains for an out. I quick pop an energy pill and evaluate my options.

Suddenly, I realize my other ultimate, the one I had totally forgot about since I picked it up the last time I had played. It was Super Vegeta, or in other words... Super Saiyan. The stage was set. I went into Super Saiyan and poured my all into it, firing barrage after barrage. Even when I realized he actually had two health bars instead of one, I wasn't phased. I was in the zone. My SSJ form would beat his SSJ2. It had to. And it did.

Now, I have one of the most ruthless combos I've seen in the game. Super Vegeta into quadruple Final Flash ultimates. All thanks to my master Vegeta.

I really have to say, this game is something special.

Sounds like something that should've been recorded heh.

Really having trouble with the mission where you're Ginyu and have to protect Krillin and Gohan. I'm spamming Milky Cannon as much as I can but my comrades are just so pathetically weak! Arrgh!

I'm dumb, I'm so dumb. You can see enemy HP with a scouter. Should have used that to test damage buffs

Yeah, but some enemies stay up your ass constantly so it's sometimes hard to get enough space between you to use it. They really could have implemented that better.

Really having trouble with the mission where you're Ginyu and have to protect Krillin and Gohan. I'm spamming Milky Cannon as much as I can but my comrades are just so pathetically weak! Arrgh!

There is an element of grinding to this game. If you're having trouble just go do some PQs and gain some levels, buy some gear, etc.

There is an element of grinding to this game. If you're having trouble just go do some PQs and gain some levels, buy some gear, etc.

I just hit the Cell Saga and I'm only at level 23 with Cell being at 30. I've done a bunch of PQ's, too. A BUNCH. Is there a more efficient way to climb levels?

I just hit the Cell Saga and I'm only at level 23 with Cell being at 30. I've done a bunch of PQ's, too. A BUNCH. Is there a more efficient way to climb levels?

Do online PQs with people who've unlocked higher star PQs. You can join missions you haven't unlocked yet. In some cases you'll be gaining a level every mission because of how much exp difference there is.

You can be invited to a created PQ room even if you're "offline" so it gets around server issues.

ryushe

A Dragon Ball game has been on the front page of Gaf for almost a week now. Not only that, people are genuinely enjoying it.

Am I dreaming?

Do online PQs with people who've unlocked higher star PQs. You can join missions you haven't unlocked yet. In some cases you'll be gaining a level every mission because of how much exp difference there is.

You can be invited to a created PQ room even if you're "offline" so it gets around server issues.

Good to know, thanks.

Namco needs to upgrade their shitty servers. They've been terrible for as long as I can remember.

Nordicus

Okay, this is just dumb. "Double it, but go no further" Z-soul, whose name is an explicit reference to Kaioken, DOES NOT WORK WITH KAIOKEN! It works with poses, but not Kaiokens

Unbelieavable. And that could make Kaioken worth it thanks to its short duration, that Z-soul buffs you damage by 60% when it's active

Okay, this is just dumb. "Double it, but go no further" Z-soul, whose name is an explicit reference to Kaioken, DOES NOT WORK WITH KAIOKEN! It works with poses, but not Kaiokens

Unbelieavable. And that could make Kaioken worth it thanks to its short duration, that Z-soul buffs you damage by 60% when it's active

I love some of the bad translations. Like the Android 18 Z-Soul that says it activates at the end of battle. It's like, wut?

Omni

I like the little bits of dialogue that appear when you use certain characters on parallel quests

I was just using SSJ Goku against Krillin and he remarked how SSJ was cheating, haha. And earlier 1st form Frieza commented on my 100% power form Frieza team mate. Kinda cool

ryushe

I like the little bits of dialogue that appear when you use certain characters on parallel quests

I was just using SSJ Goku against Krillin and he remarked how SSJ was cheating, haha. And earlier 1st form Frieza commented on my 100% power form Frieza team mate. Kinda cool
The incidental dialogue between the characters is also incredible. Like, there's a moment where you talk to Vegeta (who's currently my master) while wearing Goku's training gi and he goes on to say "Hmph, if you like Kakarot's clothing so much, why don't you become his student!"

The attention to detail in this game is so good, you can tell it's made by people who love, adore and respect Dragon Ball.

Nordicus

Tested how much your gear changes your stats. At least in terms attack, around 15 arrows of Attack increased the damage by 9% total compared to nude. Nice if you go completely into minmaxing, I suppose, but otherwise it's not incredibly important.

Also, look who I found as an NPC!
Yo, UncleO!
HBnXH4R.jpg

Teknoman

Theres no chance for a set of Dragon Ball missions...is there? Since there are full running and jumping animations, it would be nice if Kid Goku could at least be a dlc character.

Which reminds me about how cool the little things are in this game. Much like the side dialog, actually running in battle and not just floating above ground or taking fighting stance baby steps. Also jumping complete with a similar jump flip animation from the show (sound too).

Good to know, thanks.

Namco needs to upgrade their shitty servers. They've been terrible for as long as I can remember.

At this point im just glad actual online gameplay seems pretty lag free. Will be even better once the city servers are stable.

I have a day 1 combo here.

Speaking of Combos. Does anyone have any tips on how to play this game on much more competitive level? What should/shouldn't you be doing, meter management, hitbox and frame data stuff? Trying to learn this game but I'm a bit stuck on these types of Arena Fighters.

Also, what else do people do in the game? So far I've been learning the mechanics by replaying offline PQs, but also doing the Trunks Scroll things. What else do people get up to in this game?

Tsunamo

Theres no chance for a set of Dragon Ball missions...is there? Since there are full running and jumping animations, it would be nice if Kid Goku could at least be a dlc character.

At this point im just glad actual online gameplay seems pretty lag free. Will be even better once the city servers are stable.
Judging from these mods/hacks it seems like Gokus GT moveset will have a mix of GT stuff (like super spirit bomb, super saiyan) and kid gokus moveset (power pole, rock paper scissors, afterimage) so there's that at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRh_EN7KdQ

But yeah it's pretty unlikely we'll get a full set of DragonBall missions, they certainly would be a good fit for Xenoverse 2 though considering it'll probably add more characters and need more story content to make it not feel like story quests are rehashed compared to this.

And yeah i'm pleasantly surprised. While I haven't got into the online hub to try it yet even with low communication bars my pvp matches online have prettymuch been lagfree which is a first for DragonBall games online for me.

Omni

These server issues are really starting to annoy me.

I'm playing by myself. For god's sake. Stop returning me to the freaking sign in menu.

Finished the main story but still got lots of PQ to go but lived the game, great to have a new good dragonball game.

For DBX2 I would love to see the movies and GT tackled more.

TimFL

Just bought the season pass for this. Have to support the devs for releasing such a good DBZ game (the last one I enjoyed was Budokai 3).

I hope they release a Xenoverse 2 with a few changes:
- Proper open world (even if it's just flying over the continent like in Budokai 3 with the option to land for cutscenes)
- Proper transformations (hairstyle should change, maybe even be allowed to select the transformation hairstyle)
- The option to select your outfit separately from the stuff you wear (the clothing I wear looks ridiculous but it's sadly the best I have, something like DCUO where you can select the visible clothing separately would rock)

Other than that I'm really enjoying the combat and PQ system. Can't wait to play co-op with a friend who's going to get this later this month.

Is there a fusion skill? I saw a picture of 2 created characters doing the fusion dance. How does that even work? Does one player get control of the fusion?

Just bought the season pass for this. Have to support the devs for releasing such a good DBZ game (the last one I enjoyed was Budokai 3).

- Proper open world (even if it's just flying over the continent like in Budokai 3 with the option to land for cutscenes)
- Proper transformations (hairstyle should change, maybe even be allowed to select the transformation hairstyle)
- The option to select your outfit separately from the stuff you wear (the clothing I wear looks ridiculous but it's sadly the best I have, something like DCUO where you can select the visible clothing separately would rock)

Agree with all, would also like to see a lot more destruction in the world while I am blasting my way around it.

Is there a fusion skill? I saw a picture of 2 created characters doing the fusion dance. How does that even work? Does one player get control of the fusion?

You can do the Fusion Dance via emoticon thingos while using R1 in the Hub. Unfortunately I imagine it was just that.

TimFL

Agree with all, would also like to see a lot more destruction in the world while I am blasting my way around it.

You can do the Fusion Dance via emoticon thingos while using R1 in the Hub. Unfortunately I imagine it was just that.

Damn shame. They should've added a fusion skill where both parties have to click a sequence of buttons in order to fusion. Someone messes up = weak fusion.
Then one of the 2 players gets control of the character. Sounds like a non-brainer.

But hey so does the select a 2nd hairstyle for your SSJ transformation. Maybe we see stuff like that in the sequel.

Turin

Banned
Definitely the best DB game in 10 years. Budokai 3 is still the king though.

I really hope they take some things they did from Budokai 3 for the next game.

-The story mode in that game was the best even though there were no cut scenes.

-Also, just get all the proper moves and transformations into one character. I remember how satisfying it was when I would get to the Elder Kai form for Gohan(I can understand making the fusion characters separate though).

I don't expect them to go back to 2D fighter so I hope they barrow some elements from Zone of the Enders. For on thing, it would make fighting more than one guy by yourself less impossible.

Omni

Well I've been grinding this Cell Jr quest for a couple of hours and I've only had Goku's Yardrat boots drop. Still need upper and lower body... you know. The most important aspect

:mad:

TimFL

-Also, just get all the proper moves and transformations into one character. I remember how satisfying it was when I would get to the Elder Kai form for Gohan(I can understand making the fusion characters separate though).

Totally agree. Should also count for created characters. Why can't the Frieza race transform to the different forms? Why can't a human race go mystic? Why can't the Majin race go different forms (fat to skinny then kid)? The saiyan race should have SSJ 1-3 (I don't get how it's so hard to put long hair on the character during the cutscene)?

I actually expected this from the game when I first heard about it. So much potential lost.

I'd even go as far as adding new races:
- Android (first form requires you to absorb energy? next one puts you on the level of A17/18?)
- Shin-jin (the Kaioshins etc.)

I'd also love to see a skill/Z-Soul that puts your e.g. saiyan into majin mode. Boost physical attributes and lower health pool or something? Could even add a final explosion upon death.

Gbraga

A Dragon Ball game has been on the front page of Gaf for almost a week now. Not only that, people are genuinely enjoying it.

Am I dreaming?

Based Dimps :')

If only they could make their servers work... :')

Well I've been grinding this Cell Jr quest for a couple of hours and I've only had Goku's Yardrat boots drop. Still need upper and lower body... you know. The most important aspect

:mad:

Wait, the Yardrat set is in the game? :OOOO

I NEED THOSE PANTS FOR MY BUU D:

Nordicus

I'd been looking for some decent Strike Ultimates for a while now, and holy shit, Burter's Blue Hurricane damage is so good I'd call it overpowered. It's just really hard to aim though if enemies aren't at top elevation.
Based Dimps :')

If only they could make their servers work... :')
More like "If only they would put in a working Server Time-Out and then gave the option to go to actual offline lobby"

The way the game forces you to interact with its servers puts too much unnecessary stress on them

I'd been looking for some decent Strike Ultimates for a while now, and holy shit, Burter's Blue Hurricane damage is so good I'd call it overpowered. It's just really hard to aim though if enemies aren't at top elevation.

Victory Rush has served me well. That sweet ultimate will teleport on top of your target from almost anywhere and even if they get away it has several more teleportation moments where it can reconnect with them and ends with a ground smash. Shit is legit.

Nordicus

Victory Rush has served me well. That sweet ultimate will teleport on top of your target from almost anywhere and even if they get away it has several more teleportation moments where it can reconnect with them and ends with a ground smash. Shit is legit.
It's very safe too. You won't likely be interrupted unless you're teleporting on a person about to use their own ultimate. And if you completely whiff, you're still in a safer position than with a whole lot of other ultimates

Right now though, I'm rolling with Death Meteor and Blue Hurricane.

martino

Other than that I'm really enjoying the combat and PQ system. Can't wait to play co-op with a friend who's going to get this later this month.

Visual animation for each combo/style or an easy way to test would be appreciated
End of spam fiesta for super saian...this is dumb for ia(it's a joy to solo play vs 2/3 ia super saian) and player imo

Omni

Wait, the Yardrat set is in the game? :OOOO

I NEED THOSE PANTS FOR MY BUU D:

They sure are. The only clothing I want. The boots that dropped for me are exactly the same as Goku's regular boots, so it's kinda like bleh. More grinding tomorrow I guess ;_;

I hate RNG rewards.

Yaari

So what do I do when I am stuck at connecting to server on PS4. Seems the game doesn't even stop trying if there are no servers available. Pretty disappointing.

Top Bottom