• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Wow, so I started this game on Tuesday and hated it. The tutorial was terrible, the whole game felt tacky and poorly put together, and the fighting seemed super rote.

I gave it another whirl today and I've been at it all day. Seriously. Once I got over the fact that the game's own help systems were terrible, I poked around online a bit and messed around myself and now I love it. I love getting gear and moves for my character. The fact that it's basically like PSO/Destiny but with quick fights is really appealing to me.

I have a lot of gripes - the game looks like ass and the server bullshit sucks, and it's missing a lot of really obvious conveniences (why can't I preview clothes and moves? Why does the game always start me far away from any useful NPCs?) - but it's won me over.

Oh, I forgot to mention... the defeat of Kid Buu cinematic is fantastic. Vegeta's plea for humanity's spirit energy was so... Vegeta. Incredible.

Trying to do the PQ that drops Super Saiyan and Goku flat out didn't show up. Been waiting like ten minutes for the timer to run out. Fun fun

scabro

Wow, so I started this game on Tuesday and hated it. The tutorial was terrible, the whole game felt tacky and poorly put together, and the fighting seemed super rote.

I gave it another whirl today and I've been at it all day. Seriously. Once I got over the fact that the game's own help systems were terrible, I poked around online a bit and messed around myself and now I love it. I love getting gear and moves for my character. The fact that it's basically like PSO/Destiny but with quick fights is really appealing to me.

I have a lot of gripes - the game looks like ass and the server bullshit sucks, and it's missing a lot of really obvious conveniences (why can't I preview clothes and moves? Why does the game always start me far away from any useful NPCs?) - but it's won me over.

yeah this is my experience.

a sequel should be guaranteed it seems by the way its been selling

A Xenoverse 2 can be something truly special if they iron out the quirks from this game and add a good deal of content.

Speaking of sales, how is Xenoverse comparing to other Dragonball games? I have no idea as to the strength of the brand and don't really have the context to know what a good selling DBZ game is.

I finished training with Vegeta and I was gonna go find Mr. Satan or 18 next since I've seen them around offering training in the past, but now that I'm actually done training with my previous master, they're no where to be found. what gives?

also, Vegeta challenged me to another duel after the mastery quest, which I lost, but then there was no opportunity to retry and he wasn't offering the duel anymore when I got back in. anyone know what's up with that?

The word of mouth descriptor "Destiny and Dragon Ball Z" is probably capturing the attention of a lot of people who might otherwise have ignored the game, I would imagine.

scabro

A Xenoverse 2 can be something truly special if they iron out the quirks from this game and add a good deal of content.

Speaking of sales, how is Xenoverse comparing to other Dragonball games? I have no idea as to the strength of the brand and don't really have the context to know what a good selling DBZ game is.

not sure, im extrapolating from what people have been saying about its performance on Steam and the fact that the servers seem to have been getting hammered.
The word of mouth descriptor "Destiny and Dragon Ball Z" is probably capturing the attention of a lot of people who might otherwise have ignored the game, I would imagine.

Well that actually would have put me off a bit lol. The grinding can be goddam frustrating with the stacked up random events. I just got it from hearing positive impressions online and kinda bought it on a whim. But its pretty fun and word of mouth is saving it from pretty mediocre site reviews.

MormaPope

Banned

I think its word of mouth in general that's selling the title, Destiny comparisons or not. A Dragon Ball Z RPG with community aspects? There was a Dragon Ball MMO, but I imagine the combat wasn't nearly as streamlined/fun as Xenoverse's.

Omni

RNG is actually awful.

Why is it this hard to get Yardrat clothing? Am I missing some kind of objective to unlock this damn thing? I've spent hours doing this Cell Jr quest.

CryptiK

I think its word of mouth in general that's selling the title, Destiny comparisons or not. A Dragon Ball Z RPG with community aspects? There was a Dragon Ball MMO, but I imagine the combat was nearly as streamlined/fun as Xenoverse's.
there was an MMO but it was for JP and other Asian countries only. However it is being revived in English I think it call DBO Revalations or something.

MormaPope

Banned
there was an MMO but it was for JP and other Asian countries only. However it is being revived in English I think it call DBO Revalations or something.

Seeing some gameplay for it, it looks neat.

As for the RNG aspects of Xenoverse, I don't mind but can see why people hate the RNG. The Dragon Ball universe is interesting enough where I don't mind beating the same asses over and over again to get a skill.

patchday

Wow the server is actually buttery smooth right now. Finally got this recome ultimate from PQ 8. Man that took a bunch of tries. doing it online made it more fun

Has anyone gotten the skill Taunt from Multiple Cell Jr. Hunt PQ20?

I dunno if it drops off Cell Jr or Cell.

Cell Jr has the skill, but I killed like a hundred of them already.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game story and combat wise, but man all it's done is reinforce my hate for RNG drops. I have Vegeta as my trainer and so I've been trying to get the "I'm the strongest on earth" Z-Soul and it's been 40+ tries at this point and still nothing. It's bullshit, the event is being triggered and I'm getting really high ratings yet still nothing.. like I said in another post, I did co-op with a friend and it dropped for him the first time. I gave up with that and moved on to trying to get Super Saiyan, I've stopped SS Goku from killing Frieza about 4x and still nothing.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm really enjoying the game story and combat wise, but man all it's done is reinforce my hate for RNG drops. I have Vegeta as my trainer and so I've been trying to get the "I'm the strongest on earth" Z-Soul and it's been 40+ tries at this point and still nothing. It's bullshit, the event is being triggered and I'm getting really high ratings yet still nothing.. like I said in another post, I did co-op with a friend and it dropped for him the first time. I gave up with that and moved on to trying to get Super Saiyan, I've stopped SS Goku from killing Frieza about 4x and still nothing.

took me 3 hours to get that today lol

but i got final flash tho so i'm swaggin

Teknoman

I think its word of mouth in general that's selling the title, Destiny comparisons or not. A Dragon Ball Z RPG with community aspects? There was a Dragon Ball MMO, but I imagine the combat wasn't nearly as streamlined/fun as Xenoverse's.

Its the Demon's Souls effect.

RNG is actually awful.

Why is it this hard to get Yardrat clothing? Am I missing some kind of objective to unlock this damn thing? I've spent hours doing this Cell Jr quest.

It's more just low drop rates making items rarer. They still have loot tables and such it's not a true RNG system.

Teknoman

Wow the Xenoverse mutli lobby servers are working great for PC version now. Sucks you cant actually type what you want though. Its just premade commands...unless you join a team then I guess you can do voice comm.

Permanently A

Xenoverse 2 has a ton of potential. Just needs to iron out some quirks, like being booted all the way back to the hub after a quest, not being able to replay a quest you just beat, and above all else getting rid of the damn RNG in whether or not you get the bonus enemy from a mission or not. I fulfilled the requirements, I should be allowed to fight the bonus!

Neku054

Neo Member
i initially wasn't like this. it was only after playing through the game that i changed my mind about how to approach things. i started off thinking that it would be best to maximize strengths considering the way CaC is set up, and i think that's still the way to go. but i started thinking max ki blast and max ki would be good. i started my saiyin going ki blast first, so by the time i got that maxed, i realized that putting anything into ki is a waste when you've got unlimited attacks with ssj and sv.

so then i thought, maybe attack would be good. but, when i go ssj, i have unlimited supers and ultimates. generally, those are better than regular attacking (i can't think of a time when they aren't) so then putting points into attack might be a waste as well. so then, health? strikes? health is an option, but as a glass cannon i'm not trying to get hit as it is, and i'm worried the points i spend won't give an appropriate compensation. strikes could work, but i've already got a stat dedicated to attacking. so then . . . oh, well, stamina is useful, and there isn't really anything better, so why not max it.

it's still early. the way people think about the game changes by the minute

Putting points into Ki i would think would be essential. I mean with a max Ki Blast and Stamina build you will definitely get a ton of opportunities to get ultimates in since you can just dodge anything your opponent does for a good while. But you wont last more than 15 seconds in SSJ (10 or so in SSJ2) and depending on who you are fighting you wont have a chance to charge up at all. With a max Ki and Ki Blast build you wont have to worry about powering down for a good while and you wont need to worry about Ultimates powering you down (since they drain one ki bar i think?).

Anyways as you said the game is fresh so im sure things will change of course i just never see the advantage of more stamina on a saiyan instead of ki

Nordicus

Xenoverse doing good in the UK. From PAL Charts thread:
Another debutant lands at No3 in the form of ‘Dragon Ball Xenoverse’. Impressive sales for the new release see it claim the best week 1 in the UK for a Dragon Ball title.
Week 9, 2015 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 DYING LIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
02 (NE) XBO DYING LIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
03 (01) PS4 THE ORDER: 1886 (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
04 (NE) PS4 DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
05 (10) XBO CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06 (07) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
07 (09) XBO GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
08 (NE) XBO DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
09 (05) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
10 (13) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

That word of mouth

KHlover

Banned
Do you think they'll fix the audio mixing in the future? Explosions going off everywhere, but once I'm a few meters away I hear...nothing at all? Hurts the atmosphere quite a bit at times :/

genbatzu

loving that game, played it all saturday (sunday was the order day)

switched from majin (male) to human (male), because majin was too slow fow me.
Skilled completely to Ki-Blast abilities, with Gokus Hermit Gear, Vegetas Skills from him as Tutor and 2nd Kami Z-Soul.

Was able to beat the saga with lv37-44 and loving the parallel quests (offline).

only shame is, that online doesn't work.

what a great game, I'm glad I preordered it!

and the tutor system is confusing, I can't progress with Piccolo, Mr. Satan (Hercule in english... REALLY? that's stupid O_O) and Gotenks at all...

Muzicfreq

Banned
Putting points into Ki i would think would be essential. I mean with a max Ki Blast and Stamina build you will definitely get a ton of opportunities to get ultimates in since you can just dodge anything your opponent does for a good while. But you wont last more than 15 seconds in SSJ (10 or so in SSJ2) and depending on who you are fighting you wont have a chance to charge up at all. With a max Ki and Ki Blast build you wont have to worry about powering down for a good while and you wont need to worry about Ultimates powering you down (since they drain one ki bar i think?).

Anyways as you said the game is fresh so im sure things will change of course i just never see the advantage of more stamina on a saiyan instead of ki

For Super Saiyan it is essential to have something like Maximum Charge and if fighting multiple enemies to have Goku's Z-Soul "Why Youuuuuuuuu" which on enemy KO refill ki bar to maximum. You can essentially have SSJ2 the whole fight.
Instant Transmission is also really good to close gaps to blast an ultimate in their face.

KHlover

Banned
Bahaha, finishing missions with a Z rank and Cell as tutor is so great.

"Splendid, now that's what I call a fight. I'd totally hug you if that's what I did"

XD

When can I learn Yamcha's Spirit Ball ultimate, and what are some good Strike Ultimates?
I've been using a Namekian who's focusing on stamina and strike supers, but I still only have Unrelenting Barrage as my ultimate, and that's a bit crap/unreliable. I know Blue Hurricane is awesome, but are there any other good strike ultimates?

Finally, I currently have Kaioken x3 and Final Pose combined with Ginyu's Z-Soul that buffs all my stats when I use Final Pose; is it worth grinding for Kaioken x20 and equipping both that and Final Pose, or just equipping Final Pose (considering I use that more anyway)?

Loris146

When can I learn Yamcha's Spirit Ball ultimate, and what are some good Strike Ultimates?
I've been using a Namekian who's focusing on stamina and strike supers, but I still only have Unrelenting Barrage as my ultimate, and that's a bit crap/unreliable. I know Blue Hurricane is awesome, but are there any other good strike ultimates?

Finally, I currently have Kaioken x3 and Final Pose combined with Ginyu's Z-Soul that buffs all my stats when I use Final Pose; is it worth grinding for Kaioken x20 and equipping both that and Final Pose, or just equipping Final Pose (considering I use that more anyway)?
Kaioken x20 is very good because when is active you can spam vanish technique.

ZeroX03

Banned
Starting some of the latter PQs. These are insanely hard playing offline. Even using SS4 Vegeta and Gogeta as allies they die way too quickly. Can't really see how to beat this without a bunch of ally healing items or playing online.

Top Bottom