• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Spinluck

Mission 53 is by far the best thing to farm if you have it. Lol.

My friend got on at like lvl 28 last night and left at lvl 50 in like a little over an hour.

I noticed that Majins seemed tankier than most other races. All the more reason to make a short, butterball alt now. Should have spammed more Candy Beam for fun.

Yeah, Majins can take a beating unlike any other race. Frieza's Race seems so fragile in comparison. You've gotta rely a lot more on proper dodging and evasion techniques to survive, though their increased offense is amazing.

Going from the Majin's decreased speed vs. Frieza's Race's incerased speed is giving me whiplash. It's makes such a huge difference in how you enegage enemies. Frieza's Race can, for instance, effortlessly catch up to most enemies by the time they stand up, meaning you can be in their face 100% of the time, especially if you have supers that give more stamina.

Astral

I hate how rare this game seems to be. I had to pay 7 fucking dollars for parking to buy this. It better be worth it!

Nordicus

Going from the Majin's decreased speed vs. Frieza's Race's incerased speed is giving me whiplash. It's makes such a huge difference in how you enegage enemies. Frieza's Race can, for instance, effortlessly catch up to most enemies by the time they stand up, meaning you can be in their face 100% of the time, especially if you have supers that give more stamina.
Yeah, when Majin knocks someone down, it's gonna take a while before another fight can start again. Kinda why I like equipping the Burning Attack. You time it just right and the enemy gets blown up back into aerial combat again right as they stand up.

Spinluck

I'm guessing Namco still hasn't said anything about patches.

And with the online being spotty do you guys think they've been able to collect data needed for balance patches? I mean, this game will never be even moderately balanced unless they completely switch up certain mechanics--but I see some potential.

Anung

Un Rama
What's the easiest way to get Dragon Balls? I tried replaying PQ 12 again and again and I got three but now it just gives me Material Items. Is it totally RNG-based?

Bogeypop

It's the first DBZ game I buy since Budokai 3. I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm more or less there with you. Haven't touched a DBZ game since the first Budokai Tenkaichi.

What's the easiest way to get Dragon Balls? I tried replaying PQ 12 again and again and I got three but now it just gives me Material Items. Is it totally RNG-based?

RNG. It gets worse around ball 6 and 7.

Maligna

Banned
I'm loving the female human basic attacks and combos. They feel/look the most like an actual martial artist out of all the characters I've played so far.

Corgi

Banned
If it were a DBZ sim then Majins would kick everyone's asses. Balance the game mang

when you realize there are zero numbers or anything publicly displayed, you know they are not putting balance as a priority.

heck online doesn't even work so why does that even matter :p

The balance patch will be xenoverse 2 in Q1 2016.

Sephzilla

What if we assume every Human is Mystic x20, every Namekian has fused 30 times, and Frieza's race is in their 10th form?

This made me openly laugh because I immediately thought about how TFS handles Namekian fusions.

If it were a DBZ sim then Majins would kick everyone's asses and spam Ultimates as much as they like. Balance the game mang

So if Super Sayain unlimited ultimates was done away with what would you replace it with?

Pastry

Banned
when you realize there are zero numbers or anything publicly displayed, you know they are not putting balance as a priority.

Exactly lol. I don't think they predicted this would be so popular. I'm not expecting them to balance this until the sequel is out.

you know how everyone here had/has a lot of trouble getting super sayian? i got it on my first try, i wasn't even aiming for it since I'm playing as a majin, I'm just doing the PQs i haven't done so i can level up and when i play them online with randoms i can get ranked :3

Bogeypop

Finally got Split Finger Shot to drop... Turns out Spirit Sword is the actual Ultimate I wanted... Back to the grinder it is...
t5YvpSO.png
I'm not even spec'd in Strikes, but I just want to try it out because I love that move

Sephzilla

I'd just put a cooldown on Ultimates.

I'd be cool with that. Or using an ultimate while in SSJ immediately takes away another bar of ki (as apposed to the normal 3). So the amount of ultimates you can do is based on your max ki / ki level you initiate super saiyan with, and using ultimates depletes your time in SSJ faster. I think it would make more sense that way.

Nordicus

Xenoverse Steam version now has trading cards.
Finally got Split Finger Shot to drop... Turns out Spirit Sword is the actual Ultimate I wanted... Back to the grinder it is...
t5YvpSO.png
I'm not even spec'd in Strikes, but I just want to try it out because I love that move
Spirit Sword is a bit sucky for group fights without extra super armor from other sources because it's incredibly easy to interrupt.

But it's really good counter against characters that are rushing at you. And....

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, get sliced, bitches! :D *spins like a top*

Bogeypop

Xenoverse Steam version now has trading cards.
Spirit Sword is a bit sucky for group fights without extra super armor from other sources because it's incredibly easy to interrupt.

But it's really good counter against characters that are rushing at you. And....

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, get sliced, bitches! :D *spins like a top*

I think I'm going to try and get Super Electric Strike after this. It sort of does the same thing, but it's a Ki Super.

So if Super Sayain unlimited ultimates was done away with what would you replace it with?

Maybe add a Beam Struggle option. Where if you're a Ki User you can tug-of-war with your own beam, or as a Strike user you can push it back at the cost of Stamina. Though you can kind of do that with a well timed Evasive Skill and completely negate all damage from an Ultimate Ki Skill. Maybe just make Evasive Skills have a bigger window for that damage negation and lower the Stamina cost.

Respect

I don't remember which combo specifically, but there's one you can guard cancel to reset it. There's also combos you can extend by using certain supers. I'm at the end game, and I'm still using Rise to Action as well as countering Ultimate Evasions with my I own. :) I recently also discovered you can cancel the damage from the infamous Gohan and Goku Super Kamehameha spam with a well timed Ultimate Evasion (at least with the Evasion Skill, Spirit Explosion, that I'm currently using)

Good to know! Glad the strat works throughout the game. I do need to figure out the combos that can be interrupted, that will definitely help out too.

KInda odd playing this game not growing up with DBZ. Everytime they show a flashback about how time is changing all I can think is "So...was that not suppose to happen?"

Curious your take on the game so far. I am completely biased having watched the show and loved it and now having a game that really feels like it in a lot of ways, I am enjoying it a great deal (I'm guessing 99% of those in the thread are in a similar position). The last DBZ game I played was, I think, the first Budokai on PS2. Had fun with that one, but I think with the CAC, this one is so much more fun overall. Feel a lot more invested in this installment than Budokai.

N° 2048

So. Wow this game is hard but I appreciate a challenge. I think this is one of those games that I will slowly chop away at for months.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, Majins can take a beating unlike any other race. Frieza's Race seems so fragile in comparison. You've gotta rely a lot more on proper dodging and evasion techniques to survive, though their increased offense is amazing.

I had no idea there was that much of a difference. I only have a Frieza dude and I'm basically constantly rushing down my targets

cHinzo

ooookay..... Perfect Cell when he's only lvl 30 still take no damage when im lvl 39. DAT ARMOR NEEDS TO GO

He gets damaged though, but he just wont stagger/flinch because of his super armor. U need to hit a certain threshhold with the damage u do, until u can chain him.

KiTA

Welp, guess I'm taking the plunge. Steam / PC version ok, or is it a bad port?

Edit: Heck with it, it's probably good enough, I have a Wired 360 controller after all (and should pick up a XBone controller one of these days). Downloading, woo.

Anything I need to know? I haven't touched any of the DBZ games before, this one sounds a lot more RPGish than the previous ones?

This made me openly laugh because I immediately thought about how TFS handles Namekian fusions.

Give Super Saiyan the hugest damage buff out of all the transformations and let you spam regular supers (and make instant transmission a stamina move). Then give all versions of kaioken faster movement speed and unlimited stamina but still no way to charge it (It would be annoying trying to hit mofos for the whole match).

Just do something mang. Come on Dimps

TimFL

- Remove the Ki supers spam
- Ki supers consume Ki (supers consume 3/4th a bar, ultimates consume 1 1/2th bar)
- Buff basic attacks, defence and speed more noticeable
- Evasive/stamina skills consume 30% more stamina

SSJ2 should work the same except for:
- Buff basics, defence and speed even more
- Evasive/stamina skills consume 60% more stamina

That way you'd have another build option focused on close quarter combat instead of Ki super spam. The buff SSJ(2) gives to the overall physical damage and survivability is just laughable. If the only thing they offer is infinite Ki supers then that's the only thing the players will use. Buff basic attacks, defence etc. then there's another reason to go SSJ.

Could go as far as adding guard if at full stamina. If that's OP then SLOWLY decrease stamina for doing combos? Only add guard & stamina decrease to SSJ2 so there's a reason to pick that one over SSJ1?

Bogeypop

Wanna try together?

I'm on PC, and I don't know how much of a hassle it is to get together with someone for Parallel Quests. Still working on getting Spirit Sword too. Can't get Gotenks and Vegito to revive. I'm even killing Gotenks first. Will probably take a break after I finish getting Spirit Sword. Been playing for a while.

Spinluck

I'm not saying Hercule should have a chance against Goku.

Just that all builds should feel satisfying in the end. For the most part they nailed it. But Ki Blast Saiyan is still by far the god of PvE. And it isn't that much fun to spam Ultimates, but the game seems to want you to with how much this game hates melee based characters.

Super armor, instant combo stoppers, not being able to grab at times, having to charge attacks to break block (this would be fine if the CPU didn't stop it nearly all the time, the melee finishers not nearly being as good as some of the more broken ki based ones in the game, and so on. There are upsides of course, and you can definitely so work if you get good. But it wouldn't hurt to change some things.

It's also worth noting that the Z fighters have much cooler combos than the created ones. At least it feels that way. I wish you could alter the weak/strong attack movesets to some extent. With that said, I'm loving my human striker!

Nordicus

Remember guys, getting a good rank isn't about having the swiftest, cleanest victory. It's about having the flashiest, most prolonged and varied one. If that also happens to be clean and on the quick side, then that's just a bonus.

the only time I ever triggered the bonus fight and got Z-rank in PQ 25 was when I did it with worthless NPCs on my side. With competent players at my side I got Cs and Bs at most.
I'm on PC, and I don't know how much of a hassle it is to get together with someone for Parallel Quests.
If they're on your steam friendlist, no hassle. If not, then you might almost need to find each other in multiplayer lobby

Welp, guess I'm taking the plunge. Steam / PC version ok, or is it a bad port?
It's made by QLOC. It *can not* be a bad port. I almost wish Bamco was more open about that because QLOC has an amazing track record for PC porting, but that would have cause more impulse purchases which means even busier servers.

Anything I need to know? I haven't touched any of the DBZ games before, this one sounds a lot more RPGish than the previous ones?
Don't be afraid of using healing items in story missions and Parallel Quests. They're there to help you with long series of fights.

The game is definitely more RPGish this time around, your selection of 7 special moves is completely customizable, so are your attributes, gear (some with stats), Z-souls which are rather character-defining buff items, and race&gender (natural racial&gender advantages, not to mention body type).

It kind of works like a monster hunting game. You do specific missions for chance at specific equipment, Z-souls and abilities
I wish you could alter the weak/strong attack movesets to some extent.
I agree with this. I would also be fine with some Z-souls containing the original character's melee moveset

Corgi

Banned
I'm not saying Hercule should have a chance against Goku.

Just that all builds should feel satisfying in the end. For the most part they nailed it. But Ki Blast Saiyan is still by far the god of PvE. And it isn't that much fun to spam Ultimates, but the game seems to want you to with how much this game hates melee based characters.

Super armor, instant combo stoppers, not being able to grab at times, having to charge attacks to break block (this would be fine if the CPU didn't stop it nearly all the time, the melee finishers not nearly being as good as some of the more broken ki based ones in the game, and so on. There are upsides of course, and you can definitely so work if you get good. But it wouldn't hurt to change some things.

It's also worth noting that the Z fighters have much cooler combos than the created ones. At least it feels that way. I wish you could alter the weak/strong attack movesets to some extent. With that said, I'm loving my human striker!

oh definitely. This has been a problem in video games since... the beginning. Ranged DPS has pretty much always been superior to melee besides a few exceptions.

Not really sure how they can balance it... is there any vampire equips that allow hp drain from melee? That could help a bit.

And yeah, wish you could inherit the basic combo strings from your masters. Seems like a no brainer for the sequel.

Or let me pick each combo hit ala God Hand. Full customization + cosmetic equip slots so you can look the swag while still having the gear setup you want.

Top Bottom