• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden (3DS/JP) |OT|

hongcha

66 hours? Not that bad. I read a lot of people saying it takes 100~120 hours to complete. Are they just slow or was your 66 hours because you had already played it before? I'm not too keen on playing a game for 100 hours.

Aeana

66 hours? Not that bad. I read a lot of people saying it takes 100~120 hours to complete. Are they just slow or was your 66 hours because you had already played it before? I'm not too keen on playing a game for 100 hours.

I usually finish the PSX version in about 65 hours, too. I do think this one is a little faster, and I spent more time messing around this time than I usually do, so most likely people will come in less on average than they did with the PSX one... in theory. But it's still a long game - nothing was cut. Classes level quicker in this version, which would cut grinding times down if people still wanted to do that, and skills not transferring between intermediate and advanced classes also means that there's little reason to level every class or anything like that.

randomkid

I get the feeling that the audiovisual revamp and the new shard/class tweaks are really gonna turn me around on this game. It does kinda crack me up though that the only cut they made was to the part I thought was perfect.

yeah, it really is a shame they cut down the Estard Shrine. That wasn't even the part that made the beginning of the game long. It was all the back and forthing between Estard and Fishbel. The Shrine in the original was awesome. So mysterious. And the feeling of exploring with just your best friend in tow was great. Really atmospheric and set the stage for the rest of the game.

A pity

One of the biggest complaints regarding DQVII is how long it takes to get to that first battle, so while I'm also a little bummed about the cut, if it means more people actually got to the meat of the game this time, then it's a small price to pay IMO. Then again we're in the age of long intros in JRPGs so it really wasn't a necessary cut.

And that's that. I'm not ready to delve into the post-game right now, since I have other games I really want to get to, but I have heard some interesting things about it.
About a new dungeon, new ending, and a certain character rejoining
, but I don't know if it's true, or how to get it yet.

As for this remake, I'm very, very pleased with it. Aside from the introductory part, it remained very true to the original in the ways that matter, and changed a few small things to make the presentation better, or to make the plot progression make more sense. I really feel that DQ7 got the attention it deserved, and the only way I think I could have been happier with it is if it was made in DQ8's style or something.

Oh wow if
Kiefer rejoins :O
. I'm glad to hear that the remake stays true to the original in all the right ways, and most of the changes I've read about all sound fair and right with me. Especially leveling up classes and limiting transfer of skills over classes. If this game doesn't get localised eventually that would be tragic.

I get the feeling that the audiovisual revamp and the new shard/class tweaks are really gonna turn me around on this game. It does kinda crack me up though that the only cut they made was to the part I thought was perfect.

It's exactly what it does for me...DQ7 went from "one of my favorite DQ game" to "my favorite DQ game". So much content and now beautifully presented, it's mesmerizing, especially after Bravely Default (too much recycling in this game)

Aeana

One of the biggest complaints regarding DQVII is how long it takes to get to that first battle, so while I'm also a little bummed about the cut, if it means more people actually got to the meat of the game this time, then it's a small price to pay IMO. Then again we're in the age of long intros in JRPGs so it really wasn't a necessary cut.

Oh wow if
Kiefer rejoins :O
. I'm glad to hear that the remake stays true to the original in all the right ways, and most of the changes I've read about all sound fair and right with me. Especially leveling up classes and limiting transfer of skills over classes. If this game doesn't get localised eventually that would be tragic.

Yeah, my disappointment about the intro cut completely faded away to the point that I nearly forgot about it while making that post. My other disappointment, about the intro movie being cut (and thus this piece not being in the game) is actually larger for me. It never did show up anywhere in the game.

Yeah, my disappointment about the intro cut completely faded away to the point that I nearly forgot about it while making that post. My other disappointment, about the intro movie being cut (and thus this piece not being in the game) is actually larger for me. It never did show up anywhere in the game.

That is too bad - it's a great song. Aeana, supposing this thing ever came to the west, how would you sell it to someone who is a fan of the original DQ7 but doesn't expect to replay the game more than one time in the next decade? Do the graphical upgrades make for a visually fresh experience? Is the orchestrated soundtrack enough to merit paying $30 to play the 3DS version rather than the original? I guess you aren't going to tackle the post-game stuff right away, but I'll be curious to hear if that includes any significant upgrades.

Varna

Every time I see this thread bumped I get sad.

Few questions about the game in general...

Is it very easy? I'm really loving DQV but I gotta say the difficulty really leaves the battles unsatisfying. Early on it was pretty decent. But 90% of the game is just spamming the normal attack. VII any better in this regard?

Can you speed up the dialogue text at all? I would settle for just speeding up the saving process. I know it's tradition or something but it drives me nuts (both in V and VIII).

Does this game have a lot of those choices that aren't really choices at all? I got plenty of those in V were I was asked something... even something completely trivial that didn't have any plot relevance but the game would not advance until I choose yes.

Aeana

That is too bad - it's a great song. Aeana, supposing this thing ever came to the west, how would you sell it to someone who is a fan of the original DQ7 but doesn't expect to replay the game more than one time in the next decade? Do the graphical upgrades make for a visually fresh experience? Is the orchestrated soundtrack enough to merit paying $30 to play the 3DS version rather than the original? I guess you aren't going to tackle the post-game stuff right away, but I'll be curious to hear if that includes any significant upgrades.

I think it was great going through and seeing how everything was redone. I don't really know what else to say besides that. The orchestrated music is super awesome, though, yes.

Every time I see this thread bumped I get sad.

Few questions about the game in general...

Is it very easy? I'm really loving DQV but I gotta say the difficulty really leaves the battles unsatisfying. Early on it was pretty decent. But 90% of the game is just spamming the normal attack. VII any better in this regard?

Can you speed up the dialogue text at all? I would settle for just speeding up the saving process. I know it's tradition or something but it drives me nuts (both in V and VIII).

Does this game have a lot of those choices that aren't really choices at all? I got plenty of those in V were I was asked something... even something completely trivial that didn't have any plot relevance but the game would not advance until I choose yes.

Dragon Quest games aren't that difficult. They are entry-level RPGs, after all. That said, skills play a much larger role in 6+ than in the games prior, especially for regular fights.

Dialog speed can't be increased, but it's plenty fast in Japanese... they'd just have to make it just right in the English version, I guess.

Choices in DQ ALMOST never matter, however DQ7 actually does have a couple of actual real decision points that affect the story.

As for this remake, I'm very, very pleased with it. Aside from the introductory part, it remained very true to the original in the ways that matter, and changed a few small things to make the presentation better, or to make the plot progression make more sense. I really feel that DQ7 got the attention it deserved, and the only way I think I could have been happier with it is if it was made in DQ8's style or something.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, here's hoping for a localization soon.

Varna

Dragon Quest games aren't that difficult. They are entry-level RPGs, after all. That said, skills play a much larger role in 6+ than in the games prior, especially for regular fights.

Dialog speed can't be increased, but it's plenty fast in Japanese... they'd just have to make it just right in the English version, I guess.

Choices in DQ ALMOST never matter, however DQ7 actually does have a couple of actual real decision points that affect the story.

Thanks for the reply and impressions in general.

Glad to hear skill usage is more prominent in this DQ. I'm not really thinking every encounter should be do or die but I just went through a new dungeon in DQV. Fought about 30 battles and all I did was hit A repeatedly... a little more stimulation is necessary.

Come to think of it I do remember DQVIII being much better in this regard.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

That was a really good piece of music...I thought it fit the world and atmosphere so perfectly. Such a pity.

My need to import a Japanese 3DS increases everyday... DQ games are great for practising Japanese too...(IMO).

TheWraith

Just started this, and almost 6 hours in. Really enjoying this, this remake excudes so much charm it really feels like a whole new game altogether, from the excellent cell shaded graphics that really do justice to Toriyama's art for once. The little quirk in enemy animations, the way each character walks differently, the orchestrated soundtrack...so nice. Best looking 3ds game so far.

I did try DQVII when it first came out but the huge drag in the beginning until things got started turned me off back then. Really glad they made the whole intro section a bit quicker, although it still dragged a little. Can't wait to delve into it more, there goes my social life.

So i just finished DQ V yesterday, great game! Now i really want VII to come out here so i can have all the modern DQs in my collection at least! (IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX)

There is still hope...right?

ghibli99

Great to hear! Can't get too excited until rest-of-world release dates drop, though... and they'd better. :p

NolbertoS

God dammit, come on Squeenix, Take my money and release the 3DS North American version already. Need a new 3DS JRPG fix and I don't want to replay it on my PS2 :(

Shawn6661

JeuxVideo.fr Import Review

+ a cult and underestimated game
+ completely redesigned ergonomics
+ the end of random frustrating battles
+ rethinked game balance
+ better graphics than the original
+ outstanding orchestral musics

- too long for some
- the spit sound effects
- the capricious volatile save

8/10

Shawn6661

I dont know how to translate this and i dont have the game, maybe there is a quicksave/free save option or something that doesnt work well.

Aeana

There's a quick-save, it works fine. You can reload it infinitely, although when you save, it forces you to quit the game.

And that's that. I'm not ready to delve into the post-game right now, since I have other games I really want to get to, but I have heard some interesting things about it.
About a new dungeon, new ending, and a certain character rejoining
, but I don't know if it's true, or how to get it yet.

Woah, never heard about that ! Do you have any news regarding the spoiler thing ?
Well I'm currently right after
Melvin joining your party
, and I'm having a blast ! It will be hard for other Jrpg to top this game on 3DS imo.

Aeana

Woah, never heard about that ! Do you have any news regarding the spoiler thing ?
Well I'm currently right after
Melvin joining your party
, and I'm having a blast ! It will be hard for other Jrpg to top this game on 3DS imo.

I went looking for concrete info on it and came up empty-handed. It's possible it could have been a hoax. I will have to actually delve into the post-game and see for myself at some point.

Question about the post-game.

Do you know if the bonus dungeons are like the PS1 version? Meaning, just a bunch of recycled maps? Or did they redesign the dungeon to have a unique layout?

Aeana

Welp, it looks like SE is releasing downloadable story tablets now. And the one released yesterday was...
Keifer's story, indeed!
So that's where that info came from, and I am sooo excited to dive into it. They also have ones for
Foz and God
available as well. You can only download these once you beat the game.

Welp, it looks like SE is releasing downloadable story tablets now. And the one released yesterday was...
Keifer's story, indeed!
So that's where that info came from, and I am sooo excited to dive into it. They also have ones for
Foz and God

Yeah ! Thanks for the info, it seems they also added
young Melvin ! But I guess it's linked to God's story DLC
I still need to clear the game, currently 50 hours in. Great great news !

yankee666

Keifer's story, indeed!
Foz and God

Im still so far away to finish this game, im only at chapter 5 right now
I want those story tablets so bad.......

Aeana

So, according to the official guide, all monster class skills carry over. It seems I was lied to before. But that's great news for monster classes.

So this actually even makes monster class/skills more useful than the original game since here it is the only class (besides the beginner's) that carries them over. Good call.

The story tablet thing was mentioned in an article a while back. Reminds me of the story DLC for DQIX. Very cool to see it materialise.

hongcha

So is this not coming to the US?

I'm sure it will come to the US eventually, but it's not likely before the end of the year. Some time in 2014 is more likely.

I've played about 7 hours of this and need to get back to it some time. I put it down a few weeks ago, got sidetracked by other games, and sorta forgot about it. The 7 hours I played were good, but nothing struck me as "great" about it.

Oxx

I know localisation is separate to general game-budgets, but after seeing Square-Enix's expectations for Tomb Raider etc, I have no idea what kind of sales threshold they would be aiming for with a Dragon Quest release.

CrazyDude

I really hope this game comes out to the west, can't feel nervous about it not getting a localization. Bravely Default coming to the west has given me some hope that it will come to the west.

Deeku

So I've been making more progress recently and got to this scenario:...

I just finished the Folrish/Forod scenario. Still wiping away the tears.
I really think this might be the saddest scenario in all of DQ. It gets me every time. :( And seeing everything in greater detail in this remake just made it more touching, I think.

エリー「ぜぼっと キョウモ ウゴカナイ…。ナニモ シャベラナイ…。すーぷ サメタ。ツクリナオシ…。」
エリー「コノすーぷ ノメバ ぜぼっと ゲンキニ ナル…。」
Wahh. :(
...and just wanted to say, :((( indeed!

20 hours or so in now, up to Yubarl. Got like 2 weeks to finish this before smt4 hits...lol

hongcha

I've been playing this a lot recently and now I've played over 24 hours, up to right after the part where you can choose your jobs. So far the game has had its ups and downs for me. Up until the 14 hour mark I nearly gave up on it because overall it had been so boring, but the next few parts were very engaging, and since then it has been more interesting than dull. Now that I can try all sorts of jobs the game has become a lot more enjoyable. It's a shame they make you wait 20+ hours for that, the combat in the first 24 hours was rather dull.

Anyway, any suggestions on a good first post-Dharma party? I have a warrior (the hero), mage (maribel), and thief (gabo), each at level 18 and job level 4. However, I keep getting destroyed in present-day Dharma by
the four enemies who are brought forth from the priest who was playing dead in the ruins near Dharma
, so I'm thinking I don't have the right jobs.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Square Enix rarely joke around when it comes to Dragon Quest and this remake of the seventh component does not betray this reputation. Horrifyingly long, this PS1 episode is back in a technically flawless release and accompanied by orchestral musics absolutely divine, to taste urgently with headphones without missing a beat. The classic and effective game system, use a dense adventure, which proceeds by small steps to spread a monumental lifespan, over one hundred hours. The episodic structure of Dragon Quest VII is both its greatest strength and a weakness. Nomads players will love these small, often poignant and well-written sketches, even if they lose the thread of the main story, disorientated by both the slow pace and monstrous content of the title. Fortunately, Square Enix has also thought of them with some adjustments sometimes gadgets, but often welcome. This is also why it is the country of service.

+ phenomenal sound quality
+ 3D cute and polished
+ addictive game system
+ enormous lifespan
+ some welcoming adjustments

- countless round trips
- a narrative that may discourage
- the old mechanics
- the unnecessary new character

7/10 (editor's choice)

KiTA

So their big negative is... there's too much game there?

Christ, this is why we pay $60 for 8 hour RPGs nowadays people.

Froli

I apologize for bumping this thread.
I didn't know that this game got a remake in the 3ds! It looks freaking awesome. The best thing is, I haven't played this yet. Strange for a fan of the franchise eh?

<checks more youtube trailers and gameplay>

Top Bottom