• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Forkball

Mages learn Oomph and Sap though, which I found are pretty useful skills in battle. Their magic attacks are also useful for the field against many enemies, but I guess since it's post game I should be focusing on bosses more. I'm definitely turning my priest into a sage, but I've been grotto hopping instead of grinding so I haven't focused on it too much. So what's a good replacement for my mage if I have Gladiator, Martial Artist, and Sage as my other characters?

Vamphuntr

Forkball said:
Mages learn Oomph and Sap though, which I found are pretty useful skills in battle. Their magic attacks are also useful for the field against many enemies, but I guess since it's post game I should be focusing on bosses more. I'm definitely turning my priest into a sage, but I've been grotto hopping instead of grinding so I haven't focused on it too much. So what's a good replacement for my mage if I have Gladiator, Martial Artist, and Sage as my other characters?

Your Sage will get Boom, Kaboom and Kaboomle which are good for the random battles. If you absolutely need to have Oomph, you can try an Armentalist. The problem with mage is that their magic damage isn't that great compared to someone with a good hammer/sword/bow with Oomph. They have very low HP and defence so they will most likely die in boss fights often. For legacy bosses we had two sages because Zoma does so much damage that sometimes one of the two was a multiheal user while the other one was using Kazing.

Wichu

Is there anything that outdamages the über falcon blade with Falcon Slash (assuming high level and therefore strength)? For example, would a Multithrust with a red-hot poker do more, or maybe is the hypernova sword's sapping effect worth it against bosses if you get two hits off with Falcon Slash (seeing as the later bosses resist defense lowering)?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm kind of hoping that someone will make a python script like sendpkm that allows you to tag with other people throuh your pc using a hack and files on your PC which contain the relevant data for the map.

That way, people could even share their maps via PC as long as they can dump the files or recreate them (shouldn't be too hard, as grottos are a few bytes of data each iirc)

Wichu

GaimeGuy said:
I'm kind of hoping that someone will make a python script like sendpkm that allows you to tag with other people throuh your pc using a hack and files on your PC which contain the relevant data for the map.

That way, people could even share their maps via PC as long as they can dump the files or recreate them (shouldn't be too hard, as grottos are a few bytes of data each iirc)
The problem is that DS local wireless uses a different protocol than your run-of-the-mill wireless router (IIRC). The reason sendpkm works is because it hijacks the wi-fi connection once the DS has authenticated itself with Nintendo's server and the GTS uses plain HTTP to send/receive data (no encryption or security). Local wireless doesn't have these exploitable loopholes.

Although it's not completely out of the question; I think someone made a program to give tags to a certain Megaman DS game. I think they had a special wireless card to connect to the DS, though.

zigg

Wichu said:
The problem is that DS local wireless uses a different protocol than your run-of-the-mill wireless router (IIRC).

Yeah. Save hacking is probably the best bet, but I'm pretty wary of doing that, myself.

Wichu

zigg said:
Yeah. Save hacking is probably the best bet, but I'm pretty wary of doing that, myself.
Don't you need a flashcart to do this? If so, you could dump the ROM, put a save on with the map you want, then tag yourself. I know there's a Japanese save with the maps floating round; I'm sure someone with a US save could dump theirs and upload it somewhere.
It should be possible to make an AR code to get maps, though I haven't seen one mentioned anywhere yet.

On the topic of grotto data, has anyone figured out how the game determines which monsters are on which floor from the grotto data? I want to know whether it's possible to get a map with a floor of only platinum king jewels :p

So ... I so kindly let my girlfriend play my copy on my DSi and it was too much because she has been ADDICTED to it ... best plan? Go out and get myself another DSi (XL this time!) and another copy of the game!

But here's my problem. I'm pretty sure my Dlink DIR-655 is running on WPA and not WEP ... and if I recall correctly DQIX is just a 'regular' DS game which requires WEP correct?

Is there a way to manually assign the DSi's to my router or will I have to change it to WEP? And if I do change it will that slow down my WiFi connection to my laptop all that much? (I don't really mind about that, my desktop, PS3/360 are all hardwired)

I've been searching around and really can't find any definite answers but I'll keep searching and any help/advice would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I can get online and to the DSi shop on both systems - just no luck in the DQVC within the game.

Oxx

The only online part of the game is the shop, so you only really have to switch to WEP for about ten seconds while that updates.

I set-up a separate DS-compatible profile on my router so I can go between security protocols fairly easily.

This last area (or what I assume to be the last area) is a bit labyrinthine, isn't it? Glad I just unlocked a short-cut.

zigg

Wichu said:
Don't you need a flashcart to do this?

There are a number of ways to get saves off from and back on to retail cards... most involve running a homebrew utility on a flash card though, and none of those unfortunately work with the DSi due to its DS mode powering down the slot when a card is swapped.

Kinda lame DQVC update.

Quests didn't really give anything good. And it was obvious that one of them would be concluded later on. No guests but DQVC had some of the thug sets on sale.

Oxx said:
The only online part of the game is the shop, so you only really have to switch to WEP for about ten seconds while that updates.

I set-up a separate DS-compatible profile on my router so I can go between security protocols fairly easily.

t.

So if I set up a WEP profile just for the DSi's to update will I still be able to play multiplayer with her when it's not switched to that? The main reason I bought another copy and DSi is so we could play together.

Oxx said:
Multiplayer is DS to DS, so you'll be okay.

As long as you're in the same room, of course.

That is fantastic news. Now I just need to set up a WEP profile to download stuff from the DQVC.

Another question heh: How does the downloading work? If I miss a week (obviously have) is there a way to get older stuff that was out? I'm still pretty new to this as we haven't been able to access DQVC and not sure how it all works.

Wichu

flyinpiranha said:
That is fantastic news. Now I just need to set up a WEP profile to download stuff from the DQVC.

Another question heh: How does the downloading work? If I miss a week (obviously have) is there a way to get older stuff that was out? I'm still pretty new to this as we haven't been able to access DQVC and not sure how it all works.
Quests and inn visitors stay up, so when you connect, you'll get all of them released up to date. However, items are one-day only, and are replaced the first time you connect each day.

matmanx1

No new visitors today? And do you only get new quests from DQVC if you've already beaten the main game because I haven't seen one yet. On the up side I got the skeleton top (shirt?) from DQVC today which with his black pants and black shades makes my martial artist look pretty awesome!

Aeana

matmanx1 said:
No new visitors today? And do you only get new quests from DQVC if you've already beaten the main game because I haven't seen one yet. On the up side I got the skeleton top (shirt?) from DQVC today which with his black pants and black shades makes my martial artist look pretty awesome!
The quests are added to your quest log no matter your progress in the story. Your progress just determines whether you can accept it or not. To see the DLC quests, go to the quest log in Stella's screen and choose 'extra quests' or whatever that's called.

Emonk

Banned
I can safely say this game is my GOTY. I love it so much. I didn't think anything would take that away from Red Dead, but I've already sunk more time into this.

Being portable helps. We get some lunch time games going on at work. I imagine it will be more fun once we are all in the post-game.

Oxx

I've been going through the final area in chunks of about 15 minutes throughout the day. God bless portability.

Aeana said:
The quests are added to your quest log no matter your progress in the story. Your progress just determines whether you can accept it or not. To see the DLC quests, go to the quest log in Stella's screen and choose 'extra quests' or whatever that's called.

Awesome. The problem was that I was using WPA2 on DIR 655 ... I just created a "Guest Zone" with WEP and a password of OH WAIT A SECOND! ... and I'll just enable that to download stuff since I don't have to be on the wireless to play multiplayer at all.

Thanks for all the help! Now to catch up with my girl who has already logged about 20 hours. She was up till 1:30AM and had to work at 8!

Oxx

Oh man, the third phase of the final boss brutalised me. After waltzing through most of the game (including the first two parts of the battle) it came as quite a shock to the system.

nli10

Just realised I'd done nothing with Mini Medals and checked online what to do.

Handed in 25... Guessing that thief's key will let me open some of the things I've found. Have the key from Stornaway castle though.

Cmagus

man the Masayuki map is kicking my ass.It fine to go through but its those stupid birds and hopping guys they come out of nowhere and get you and they always bring the big guys with them

Koomaster

Cmagus said:
man the Masayuki map is kicking my ass.It fine to go through but its those stupid birds and hopping guys they come out of nowhere and get you and they always bring the big guys with them
If you have unlocked ranger, you can learn 'Vanish' - it completely hides your party from enemies on the field, so none will rush to you. As long as you don't initiate any fights, you can move with impunity throughout the grotto; robbing treasure chests (although you may have to fight canniboxes and mimics).

Vanish is low on MP and lasts quite awhile. Just be mindful of where enemies might spawn from (usually the entrances to narrow hallways are a breeding ground for them).

d+pad

Emonk said:
I can safely say this game is my GOTY. I love it so much.

+1. I really didn't expect to love this game as much as I have. Now I just have to stop playing the level 58 grotto ('Gold Waterway of Dolour') over and over and over. I'm addicted to killing metal king slimes :lol

For some reason I'm having a really hard time setting up my wireless router to WEP, I have a Linksys WRT54GS and I went to the router's configuration address and tried switching to WEP but my internet connection didn't seem to like that at all and it took me forever to fix it back to the way it was :lol

I think I'll just not bother with it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh man I am totally lost. When I got my ship they said something about going to a desert but I ended up at a canyon and then a snowy land with a school where I got my 5th fygg and now some village in the plains. I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing but progress is progress!

Loto

Koomaster said:
If you have unlocked ranger, you can learn 'Vanish' - it completely hides your party from enemies on the field, so none will rush to you. As long as you don't initiate any fights, you can move with impunity throughout the grotto; robbing treasure chests (although you may have to fight canniboxes and mimics).

Vanish is low on MP and lasts quite awhile. Just be mindful of where enemies might spawn from (usually the entrances to narrow hallways are a breeding ground for them).

This. Also, if a mob spawns on you, bringing up the menu will keep you from getting into battles. I keep Vanish up and if something spanws right on me I hit the menu and wait for it to pass. I only have problems if Im careless or impatient.

Cmagus

ill get vanish and I know of the menu trick but if they catch you and run at you they will sit there till you come out of the menu lol

Koomaster

Duane Cunningham said:
Wow, critical pratfalls don't come too easily, do they?
Oddly I got one right away, like the 2nd battle I went into. Used the slimes outside of Bloomingdale, hit a bunch of them with a crit pratfall all at once.

I got my first green orb today off of a Legacy boss. During the battle I stole a mini-medal and figured that's all he had. Once I defeated him, he dropped a treasure chest with another mini-medal. I thought, 'oh nice, bonus!'. Then the message came up that my thief managed to steal the green orb (I have the thief scroll which sometimes auto-steals off of defeated enemies).

I've had the triple items happen before and it's always special, but to get a green orb from that was really awesome! :)

Emonk

Banned
Lindsay said:
Oh man I am totally lost. When I got my ship they said something about going to a desert but I ended up at a canyon and then a snowy land with a school where I got my 5th fygg and now some village in the plains. I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing but progress is progress!

I don't think you can really get to any of the areas you're not supposed to be at by ship. There's one but it's fairly obvious that you're not supposed to be there at that point.

DAMN FOREIGNERS

At one point I didn't know where to go next, so I just probed land masses for places I could get to via ship and found my way through the game. I think Swinedimples (Hogwarts lol) is "supposed to be" the last place because of its placement in the zoom menu, but I didn't do it last.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Found a map with an A-rank chest on the 3rd floor. Time to grind out the rest of the metal equipment :D

Duane Cunningham said:

If you're doing the quest for the minstrel scroll, just equip the ranger scroll and get the person you equip it on to near-death. Makes all the "do a critical something on such and such monster!" quests pretty easy.

Oxx

Aaaaannnnddd done. Turns out the last boss is a lot easier when it doesn't send 3/4 of your party into paralysis/sleep within the first couple of turns.

And a classic bittersweet DQ ending. I must say that I found the
absence of Stella on the record screen
to be the most heart-wrenching bit of all.

Photo017.jpg

Yeah, I kinda took my time with the main quest. Finished the game with:

L56 Armamentalist
L59 Paladin
L57 Mage
L61 Ranger.

zigg

Duane Cunningham said:
I got one fighting Shogum at the Best Buy event last week.

It was glorious.

Haven't seen it since, though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Emonk said:
I can safely say this game is my GOTY. I love it so much. I didn't think anything would take that away from Red Dead, but I've already sunk more time into this.

Being portable helps. We get some lunch time games going on at work. I imagine it will be more fun once we are all in the post-game.

Amen brother, I knew I would like DQ9 a lot, but I had no idea I would like it this much.

Yesterday I spend 3 hours with my best friend killing metal slimes near angel falls :)

thetechkid

Oh yeah, I finished the main game a while back but I never figured out what Phlegming was talking about when he kept mentioning the king from another land, is that a quest?

Raw64life

I've gone through about 40 grottoes now and I'm finally starting to fight some Trauminators and Elusids. Most of the grottoes I'm getting now are leveled in the 30's and 40's and I'm wondering when I'm going to start seeing some grotto exclusive regular enemies. I'm also wondering if the blue chests in these grottoes are ever going to start giving me anything useful other than the rare mini medal or two I've found.

Also, kind of off topic, but for whatever reason I can't connect via Wi-Fi anymore. Up to this point it's always been wonky but if I tried enough times it would eventually just magically connect, but not anymore. It's the same Wi-Fi that works flawlessly with my PC, PS3 and Wii so I'm not sure what the problem is and I don't know shit about routers.

Pangya

Raw64life said:
I've gone through about 40 grottoes now and I'm finally starting to fight some Trauminators and Elusids. Most of the grottoes I'm getting now are leveled in the 30's and 40's and I'm wondering when I'm going to start seeing some grotto exclusive regular enemies. I'm also wondering if the blue chests in these grottoes are ever going to start giving me anything useful other than the rare mini medal or two I've found.

Also, kind of off topic, but for whatever reason I can't connect via Wi-Fi anymore. Up to this point it's always been wonky but if I tried enough times it would eventually just magically connect, but not anymore. It's the same Wi-Fi that works flawlessly with my PC, PS3 and Wii so I'm not sure what the problem is and I don't know shit about routers.

Have you tried clearing your Wi-Fi settings on your DS and then setting it up again? That usually works for me.

Post game is pretty cool but man these grottos are FFXIII repetitive, do they ever get better and offer better treasures? I've killed the same bosses like 8 or 9 times.

Raw64life

^ I just asked basically the same question. You do start fighting new bosses eventually as I've just recently started doing but I have no idea about the treasures.

Pangya said:
Have you tried clearing your Wi-Fi settings on your DS and then setting it up again? That usually works for me.

Yep. Many times. It's worked in the past but now it's not working at all no matter how many times I do my usual tricks. Everything else I have running on Wi-Fi is working perfectly.

Raw64life said:
^ I just asked basically the same question. You do start fighting new bosses eventually as I've just recently started doing but I have no idea about the treasures.

I'm on my 11th or 12th grotto, hopefully it starts changing up soon.

Chesskid1

Banned
after 30 hours, i would describe this game as addictive but boring at the same time (first time DQ player here). it can be addicting but overall it is pretty boring. be prepared to spend alot of time running around leveling i guess which only works for me because it's on a handheld (easy to grind). i love the character design and how you see your armor, and the scope of it on a handheld is amazing. i'm having fun and will for sure complete the game, it just gets boring after a bit, i go in spurts of addicted/bored I guess. looting for money for hours then spend all of it (50k) at next shop then i complete the story section = break for a fews days then back to $ grind. just got my 5th fygg i believe. i dunno, just sharing random thoughts. if you have one of those personalities to do everything in the game (i don't), gdamn you will spend so much time on this :D i didn't know this game was so light on story since story in a game is huge for me. I heard all the other DQs are the same gameplay wise so I prolly won't play others, the grinding is just too much for me. that's it i guess, haha.

sorry if i sounded too harsh, i really do like the game overall and it's very enjoyable.

Top Bottom