• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Koomaster

How strange, just got done playing through a couple maps and got a new accolade when I talked to Stella called 'Princess of Poseurs' which is apparently for only wearing the 'vainest vestments' - but I haven't changed my main character's outfit for the longest time. Looking up the requirements for the accolade, I'm not even wearing any of the stuff to get it. So, that's kind of random. ?___?

Edit: Scratch that, when I switched over to a sage for a bit, I equipped the dragon warrior gloves which is one of the things listed in the requirements for the accolade. I guess that was enough to trigger it.

Meier

Oof, Larstantaras was tough. Just barely beat her..blew a lot of random health items after she killed my healer early on. Oops.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So does the gear that drops from the
legacy bosses
ever get any better? Got both gear drops from
Baramos
and they're both pretty shitty compared to stuff I already have.

Jirotrom

im thinking about getting this but i just dont like playing rpg games online, diablo included... is it necessary for this game, is it important?

Boney

Banned
Jirotrom said:
im thinking about getting this but i just dont like playing rpg games online, diablo included... is it necessary for this game, is it important?
It's nothing like that at all :)

It's traditional RPG all the way. There's just a special shop in which you can connect online to buy updated goodies. Completely optional, and that's it! (I think)

Anyway, since I'm already here.. fuck the metal slime quest :(

Jirotrom said:
It's not necessary at all, it's very much a one player game.

Jirotrom said:
I've got tags from people who have played 1200 hours in the single player mode, so I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

CoolS

Haha, did my first two grottos the other day. Actually, I only did my first, I got raped SO badly by the boss in the secon grotto. First time ever my party was wiped out. I would need some kind of healing all party members at once spell. Since that seems to be far away, I'll have to wait till my party gets stronger before trying again :D

Just beat the game. My main character was a level 99 Minstrel after beating the final boss:lol

He's the only one I've yet to change classes with -- I guess I've no choice now! One of my characters went Priest >> Ranger >> Martial Artist >> Warrior -- and his name is Aang! I'm going to have him go through all vocations, maxing out all their skills just so he can be the true Avatar.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
So does the gear that drops from the
legacy bosses
ever get any better? Got both gear drops from
Baramos
and they're both pretty shitty compared to stuff I already have.

not really. You will need the orbs from those battles to craft most of the best gear in the game, though, so there is still a point to doing it.

Meier said:
Oof, Larstantaras was tough. Just barely beat her..blew a lot of random health items after she killed my healer early on. Oops.

I just beat her pretty handily, which is lucky because I didn't get the chance to save beforehand and had all my gold on me :lol

Shoogoo said:
Kind of stupid that the clock goes on when your DS is closed :lol I have over 100hrs and I'm only at Batsureg
Heh. The clock doesn't go on when the DS is closed. You've just played that bloody much DQ9, ya freak.

Echoes

Went to the mall with DQIX in my pocket, in Tag mode. I'm not like you guys in US/UK; Dragon Quest (even though loved in Kuwait) is a bit too classy for a lot of people, so I expected NOTHING at all.

And what do I get? Ruby Path of Doom Lv.86 Treasure Map. The 15th floor has nothing but King Metal Slime.

Holy fucking hell. Leveling up has never been easier.

I beat the map with the help of my brother's Lv.99 Martial Artist, the boss was hard and I got a Treasure Map (I guess Lv55) for beating it.

jaxword

I found out why the camera only rotates 1/3 of the way: the towns and maps have no graphics for the backs. If you find a way to rotate the camera 360 degrees, you will see the back walls do not exist and appear invisible. Same with caves and such, only the fronts exist.

I assume it was a memory-saving technique, along with the non-detailed blocky npcs.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
jaxword said:
I found out why the camera only rotates 1/3 of the way: the towns and maps have no graphics for the backs. If you find a way to rotate the camera 360 degrees, you will see the back walls do not exist and appear invisible. Same with caves and such, only the fronts exist.

I assume it was a memory-saving technique, along with the non-detailed blocky npcs.

Interesting.

As far as the NPCs go, aren't they just 2d sprites?

jaxword

Lost Fragment said:
Interesting.

As far as the NPCs go, aren't they just 2d sprites?

Yep, they're sort of like Parappa the Rapper sprites in that they turn to face you as much as possible.

I'd really like to read about what the development team's hurdles were, because for a product delayed so many times, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking or amazingly polished that would account for it.

jaxword said:
Yep, they're sort of like Parappa the Rapper sprites in that they turn to face you as much as possible.

I'd really like to read about what the development team's hurdles were, because for a product delayed so many times, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking or amazingly polished that would account for it.
You can't delay something that doesn't have a release date. The only actual delay for the product was from late March 2009 to July 2009, which isn't really that big of a delay. As for why it took so long to develop, I imagine scrapping the original game design and starting over probably set them back a little.

Princess Skittles said:
I'd still like to see them do it.

They can just give it a subtitle instead of a number so the nerds fans don't have cholesterol attacks again.
I wouldn't mind seeing it either, but what we got is so much better than another friggin' Diablo knock-off.

Also, I've noticed you calling people on here nerds quite a bit. Are you under the impression you're not El Nerdo Supremo yourself, Skits?

Koomaster

Mockingbird said:
Just beat the game. My main character was a level 99 Minstrel after beating the final boss:lol

He's the only one I've yet to change classes with -- I guess I've no choice now! One of my characters went Priest >> Ranger >> Martial Artist >> Warrior -- and his name is Aang! I'm going to have him go through all vocations, maxing out all their skills just so he can be the true Avatar.
You should definitely take him through the Armamentalist tree next for all the fource powers.

That's an awesome theme character. Have you created any of his pals, you could have Katara, Sokka, Toph, even Zuko if you wanted. :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Segata Sanshiro said:
I wouldn't mind seeing it either, but what we got is so much better than another friggin' Diablo knock-off.
Maybe, it's subjective at least. But the multi-player component doesn't really work in the turn-based environment.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Also, I've noticed you calling people on here nerds quite a bit. Are you under the impression you're not El Nerdo Supremo yourself, Skits?
I just know my own. :)

Chairhome

Anyone thought of organizing an unofficial tag event in their area? I'm a month away from my Simon event, so I was wondering if I should scour some forums for interest. Since I'm here, any Orlando based GAFers interested?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Chairhome said:
Anyone thought of organizing an unofficial tag event in their area? I'm a month away from my Simon event, so I was wondering if I should scour some forums for interest. Since I'm here, any Orlando based GAFers interested?
Well, I might be in Dallas for Anime Fest, I'm betting there will be some tag action there.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO ANIME FEST BRING THE NOA EVENT MAPS PLEASE. Thank you. <3

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can only get 3 Tags at a time when you Canvass and if you want more you have to return to the Inn and put them in a room and then go back to canvass mode to get more?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ExtraKr1spy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can only get 3 Tags at a time when you Canvass and if you want more you have to return to the Inn and put them in a room and then go back to canvass mode to get more?
That's mostly correct.

You can get three at once, then all you have to do is leave the room and come back to start tag mode again.

Princess Skittles said:
That's mostly correct.

You can get three at once, then all you have to do is leave the room and come back to start tag mode again.

Ah shit no wonder I only had 3 tags from the Best Buy event. Oh well.

Can't wait to see DQ characters(if any) will show be up on DQVC tomorrow.

Echoes

Finally finished the game. Party and statistics:

Gladiator - Lv.58

Sword Skill: 100
Focus: 100
Courage: 56
Guts: 55
Fource: 30

-

Martial Artist - Lv.66

Claw Skill: 100
Virtue: 100
Focus: 22

-

Warrior - Lv.48

Spear Skill: 100
Courage: 100
Virtue: 68

-

Sage - Lv.45

Wand Skill: 31
Enlightenment: 100
Spellcraft: 100
Virtue: 68
Shield Skill: 52

-

Statistics:

Battle Victories: 1259
Times Alchemy Performed: 20
Accolades Earnt: 59
Quests Completed: 15
Grottoes Completed: 5
Guests Canvassed: 3

Defeated Monster List Completion: 70%
Wardrope Completion: 13%
Item List Completion: 42%
Alchenomicon: 1% lol

Time Spent Playing: 65:03
In Multiplayer: 12:00

Loved every second. Surely not done yet.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Princess Skittles said:
That's mostly correct.

I recall having Erinn tell me that I couldn't start canvassing because she needed to get everyone's rooms ready or something. I think I spent the night and then was able to start canvassing again. All I had to do was leave the inn and come back though?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
levious said:
I recall having Erinn tell me that I couldn't start canvassing because she needed to get everyone's rooms ready or something. I think I spent the night and then was able to start canvassing again. All I had to do was leave the inn and come back though?
The wording is confusing, but yeah, that's all.

Are level 30-45 characters good enough for the endgame? I've been grinding like hell the past day or two and my highest character is a 46 martial artist.

botticus

ExtraKr1spy said:
damn my materials haven't respawned in days.

Only the coagulant outside of Stornway is respawning.
It's annoying random. But outside of fresh water and flurry feathers, I've been having relatively little trouble accumulating ingredients as I continue growing my alchenomicon - I'm finding theft to be far more productive in many cases, even when looking for a .78% drop item (only took about 5 spawns to get a skull helm from a Night Knight). Up to 55% after taking care of headwear.

I have a feeling chest armor is going to be a bit more expensive, though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Koomaster said:
Holy smee! I'm just hitting 180 hours today and I'm way into the post game. How'd you spend so long on the main game? :lol
My guess: Alchemy and doing something like grinding every class to level X, where X is 15-20ish, around the 6th or 7th fygg.

I'm at 120 hours and still have two fyggs left

Top Bottom