• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
ruby_onix said:
Try to scare them with War Cry or put them to sleep with a spell. They can only run if they get a turn. Use one or two people to raise tension, and have the other two or three work on immobilizing. It's also good to attack a group of enemies, so there are a few left for you to hit if some slip away.

What other tension raising skills are there? I only know of Egg On via the main character.

botticus

Mockingbird said:
What's so good about this? anything special here? Cause for me it's too late. I'm not going to abandon one of my charas after spending so much time them
Only reason I'll care is if she has equipment that will add to my wardrobe.

Nothing good in my shop today, hopefully I won't miss out on exclusives this week.

Cheerilee

DarthWoo said:
What other tension raising skills are there? I only know of Egg On via the main character.
"Psych Up" is learned after spending 16 points in the Martial Artist's skill tree. It allows someone to increase their own tension. Very useful for your best non-hero attacker.

If you have your hero and strongest attacker work together by Egging On + Psyching Up the attacker, you can reach higher tension quickly and do more damage than just two attackers acting alone (assuming the enemy doesn't neutralize your tension).

Mockingbird said:
Some guy posted about how he drove around for four hours and got 1 tag in the US...

Doing it randomly only works in Japan, I'd say.

Or at conventions. I got thirty over the three days I spent at Dragon Con, but I would have had many more if I had realized that it only took three guests at a time. Every time I walked through a crowded area in one of the hotels I would get two or three hits, but this is also a con where I was able to take pictures of people dressed as DQ characters.

Oxx

I think I must have accidently tossed my Uber Miracle Sword. It seems to have disappeared.

I still have plenty of decent weapons, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

donny2112

Haven't seen this mentioned, but I have to say that the Thief's Lvl. 40 bonus is one of the best in the game, if you want to get items. I've
"accidentally"
stolen lots of cool stuff. I've even stolen an
orb
at the same time as getting an
orb
treasure chest from a
legacy boss
! :lol

Edit:
For the above, I got another Miracle sword this way, too.

Not at 5000 battles, yet, but I got 100 Grottos last night. I typically use Vanish and only fight new creatures or quest/boss creatures by this point, though. If leveling up is needed, Lvl. 58 is the destination. :)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
donny2112 said:
Haven't seen this mentioned, but I have to say that the Thief's Lvl. 40 bonus is one of the best in the game, if you want to get items. I've
"accidentally"
stolen lots of cool stuff. I've even stolen an
orb
at the same time as getting an
orb
treasure chest from a
legacy boss
! :lol
Wow, great score! I've gotten three items from one monster with that (half-inch, drop, drop-steal), definitely my favorite item in the game.

Loto

What bothers me the most about canvassing is that you have to be in canvas mode as does the other person. I understand why it works this way, but it wold be nce if you could still play while in tag mode.

Axis

so i'm at the tarantula boss and that thing has bodied me 3 times now...i'm at level 23 with my minstrel/priest/thief and 20 with mage(i had to switch jobs cuz somehow i made 2 priests accidentally and didn't notice for a while)...am i underleveled for the boss or am i just missing something? i can't keep everyone healed and he just takes us out 1 by 1.

sidebar: does the DQVC shop get new items daily or just weekly when i download the DLC? also, how often do new characters appear and stay at the inn? angelo and a few others are there now and they gave me some nice stuff.

Mockingbird said:
What's so good about this? anything special here? Cause for me it's too late. I'm not going to abandon one of my charas after spending so much time them
There is nothing unique about the secret characters outside of their appearance. I just happen to like Sellma's design a lot. But I'm not abandoning any of my characters either, I'm just adding more to the mix. It's easier to focus on the individual vocation accolades and quests that way instead of training 5 jobs to one character.

rpmurphy

Axis said:
so i'm at the tarantula boss and that thing has bodied me 3 times now...i'm at level 23 with my minstrel/priest/thief and 20 with mage(i had to switch jobs cuz somehow i made 2 priests accidentally and didn't notice for a while)...am i underleveled for the boss or am i just missing something? i can't keep everyone healed and he just takes us out 1 by 1.

sidebar: does the DQVC shop get new items daily or just weekly when i download the DLC? also, how often do new characters appear and stay at the inn? angelo and a few others are there now and they gave me some nice stuff.
With your team composition, survival should be the focus since you don't have team members that have high offense or defense. Try putting your priest on Focus on Healing AI, use your mage and thief as attackers, and use your minstrel as support/healer. Augment your minstrel with agility boosting equips to get first crack at healing for emergencies, and for Egg On if that's your main character. Tension can be used on attack spells, so use Egg On on whomever does the most damage -- mage with spell or thief with weapon.

DQVC is updated daily, but the theme is updated weekly on Friday. New inn characters show up every couple weeks. They stay forever in your Royal Suites, so you can get the rest of the equips any time.

Axis

rpmurphy said:
With your team composition, survival should be the focus since you don't have team members that have high offense or defense. Try putting your priest on Focus on Healing AI, use your mage and thief as attackers, and use your minstrel as support/healer. Augment your minstrel with agility boosting equips to get first crack at healing for emergencies. Tension can be used on attack spells, so use Egg On on whomever does the most damage -- mage with spell or thief with weapon.

DQVC is updated daily, but the theme is updated weekly on Friday.

i should've switched from minstrel to warrior...but i think it's too late to turn back

i beat him, brute force honestly...magic+thief getting 3 critical hits really helped...making random stuff in the alchemy pot payed off

rpmurphy

Axis said:
i should've switched from minstrel to warrior...but i think it's too late to turn back

i beat him, brute force honestly...magic+thief getting 3 critical hits really helped...making random stuff in the alchemy pot payed off
Doesn't matter really. I tend to use my main character as support anyway because Egg On is extremely useful. Getting tension up twice per turn helps a ton in boss battles.

I tried to canvas tonight when I went to the Mariner's game, figuring maybe some little kids at the stadium might be canvasing there, or maybe since Nintendo owns (part of?) the M's and has DS functionality in the stadium, maybe they'd have something happening there.

0 new guests :(

Hex

Banned
Girl friend is at the mall event right now with our dsis and with the kids and theirs while I am stuck at work, turn out is not bad.
Apparently they had coke out there and the Nintendo reps.
Swag consisted of bags though she is still there so I will find out more later.

Drawings for cases of Coke and Guide books too through the day too.

Oxx

Yeah, Dazzleflash was driving me mad so I broke the habit of a lifetime and just rushed through the grotto as quickly as possible.

Aselith

Is there a site out there that tracks what the download shop items are everyday? I'd rather have a site that I can check out each day to see if I want the equipment and if a new special guest was added.

I've revocated five times now with my main, once in each of the following classes: Minstrel, Luminary, Gladiator, Warrior, and Thief.

It's so freaking tedious, doing all this grinding. Yet, I'm still doing it. It wouldn't be as bad if I could earn accolades with the other characters, but I hate how it had to be only my main character that has to do the accomplishment. The rewards for revocating are pretty cool at least. Especially the Theif's, which increases the steal rate!

ElFly

Is there any way to improve the chances of a critical attack?

The quests that require me to kill a monster with a critical autograph, and the one about TWO critical pratfalls are getting boring, quickly.

ElFly said:
Is there any way to improve the chances of a critical attack?

The quests that require me to kill a monster with a critical autograph, and the one about TWO critical pratfalls are getting boring, quickly.

There's an item that increases the rate of criticalling. You get it by revocating a gladiator. For the autograph one, just do it on the enemies at angel falls. It'll happen eventually.

Aselith said:
Is there a site out there that tracks what the download shop items are everyday? I'd rather have a site that I can check out each day to see if I want the equipment and if a new special guest was added.

I think it's kind of random for each person. I know when my girlfriend and I log in on the same day it's different stuff. Sometimes we'll get the same but with the Masks last week (I think) we were getting different items.

Aselith

flyinpiranha said:
I think it's kind of random for each person. I know when my girlfriend and I log in on the same day it's different stuff. Sometimes we'll get the same but with the Masks last week (I think) we were getting different items.

Weird. Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep loggin in. :/

ElFly

Mockingbird said:
There's an item that increases the rate of criticalling. You get it by revocating a gladiator. For the autograph one, just do it on the enemies at angel falls. It'll happen eventually.

Ugggh. I guess I'll wait.

Also, what are the monsters master? the description said that they were the most common enemies in each grotto, but I am killing everything in a grotto with boomerang attacks and nothing!

e: checked gamefaqs. They are not what I thought!!! gg quest description

rpmurphy

ElFly said:
Ugggh. I guess I'll wait.

Also, what are the monsters master? the description said that they were the most common enemies in each grotto, but I am killing everything in a grotto with boomerang attacks and nothing!

e: checked gamefaqs. They are not what I thought!!! gg quest description
You mean the boomerang quest? If you checked the paper and then talked with the girl, it's easy to figure out. >_>

Salsa

Damn i havent played this in about a month.

After 60+ hours i still dont know how the Wi Fi store/etc really works ? if i enter it now will it download all the sidequests i missed ?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SalsaShark said:

After 60+ hours i still dont know how the Wi Fi store/etc really works ? if i enter it now will it download all the sidequests i missed ?

This.

Also, I just got into this game in earnest and just got to Stornway and finished a couple easy item quests.

I'm really loving how old-school (but deep) DQIX feels.

rpmurphy

SalsaShark said:

All extra quests and inn guests available up to now should be unlocked when you connect to DQVC. Items vary by day and the theme changes every week.

Salsa

rpmurphy said:
All extra quests and inn guests available up to now should be unlocked when you connect to DQVC. Items vary by day and the theme changes every week.

Thanks a bunch. Just talked to a friend (played the whole game co-op with him) and told him to bring his DS tomorrow, time to catch up.

donny2112

Mockingbird said:
For the autograph one, just do it on the enemies at angel falls. It'll happen eventually.

I tried the Slimes outside Bloomingdale. Get 8, autograph 4, other 4 call backup, repeat infinitely. Unfortunately, the game can't handle it. I got a critical on like the 100th (or some really high number) slime (they go through Q and repeat), but it didn't apply it to the quest. :( Maybe the repeating names threw it off? Ended up grinding around Gleeba to get it.

Erdrick

164:15 hours in and I still am playing this game pretty much exclusively since it's release back in July. Currently looking for the accursed Bling Badgers but do not have a grotto map of the type needed+High enough level to have a chance of meeting them.

DQIII is still my most favorite DQ (and game) ever but this game is really, really, really good. I suspect the similarities to DQIII that it bears is no small coincidence as to why I love DQIX so much. It's like crack for me. I've not even really started on the other jobs much... about to revocate some characters in about 8 more levels or so.

And hey, I tagged someone a week and a half ago in the theatre when I went to see Machete. He was sitting next to me playing DQIX as well before the movie was starting, so we figured since odds were this would never happen again, may as well exchange some maps. The multiplayer aspect is really well done.

GOTY for me. Nothing else comes close.

donny2112 said:
I tried the Slimes outside Bloomingdale. Get 8, autograph 4, other 4 call backup, repeat infinitely. Unfortunately, the game can't handle it. I got a critical on like the 100th (or some really high number) slime (they go through Q and repeat), but it didn't apply it to the quest. :( Maybe the repeating names threw it off? Ended up grinding around Gleeba to get it.

I pretty much just did this outside Alltrades for the Gladiator unlocking quest, but that took much less slimes, so it worked fine.

ElFly

rpmurphy said:
You mean the boomerang quest? If you checked the paper and then talked with the girl, it's easy to figure out. >_>

It's still super annoying, cause the game doesn't tell you which monsters are the master monsters. And the masters rarely drop their stupid item quest at all, so you can be left killing everything in the caves for hours. Hell, it took me dozens of tries to get them, even knowing what I had to target.

donny2112

Oxx said:
It's probably going to stay in my DS until DQ6 comes out over here.

I stopped Glory of Heracles about half-way through to pick up DQIX. (215 hours and counting. Especially shocking considering how little time I was playing games prior. :lol ) Also have a backlog of Ace Attorney Investigations, Mario & Luigi 3, and a couple others I'm forgetting. I'm just looking to get through all that I want to right now, and then just pick it up every few weeks to do the quests.
Really want to see Brigadoom make a comeback! :D

rpmurphy

ElFly said:
It's still super annoying, cause the game doesn't tell you which monsters are the master monsters. And the masters rarely drop their stupid item quest at all, so you can be left killing everything in the caves for hours. Hell, it took me dozens of tries to get them, even knowing what I had to target.
Yeah, essentially you're killing monsters until you find the "one", which is rather tedious. However, I'm not 100% sure, but I have a hunch that either your character level or some attribute may have some correlation of these kinds of quest drops. Because ever since I maxed all the class bonuses and have had high character levels ~60-99, the drops show up within 10 battles.

Oxx

donny2112 said:
I stopped Glory of Heracles about half-way through to pick up DQIX. (215 hours and counting. Especially shocking considering how little time I was playing games prior. :lol ) Also have a backlog of Ace Attorney Investigations, Mario & Luigi 3, and a couple others I'm forgetting. I'm just looking to get through all that I want to right now, and then just pick it up every few weeks to do the quests.
Really want to see Brigadoom make a comeback! :D

There isn't much else on DS that can compete with DQ for the rest of the year.

I love the Layton games, but I'll probably save the third one for the cold and dark train commutes of Jan/Feb.

FF: 4 Warriors of Light is already super-cheap even before release, but I'm still on the fence.

Golden Sun 3 might be the only one I'm really anticipating.

donny2112

Has the "real-time equipment display" in DQIX caused anyone else to forego slightly better equipment in favor of a better matching outfit?

Oxx said:

I really hope they don't overdo it with the touch-screen controls, but I'm looking forward to it, too. :)

Oxx

donny2112 said:
Has the "real-time equipment display" in DQIX caused anyone else to forego slightly better equipment in favor of a better matching outfit?

Occasionally.

Especially considering how ugly some of the better armour is (I'm looking at you Gigant and Catoptric armours).

donny2112 said:

Personally, I kind of love making my characters look as ridiculous as possible. I'm really hoping when I finally do succeed at canvasing that I've got my main looking really ridiculous.

botticus

Oxx said:
Occasionally.

Especially considering how ugly some of the better armour is (I'm looking at you Gigant and Catoptric armours).
Catoptric armor is about the best torso piece to pair with Erdrick's stuff.

donny2112

botticus said:
Catoptric armor is about the best torso piece to pair with Erdrick's stuff.

IIRC, at the time I made that, the only guys who could wear it also had availability to Sacrosanct Armour, and that was the better option, since it heals you each turn. Never really used it, as a result.

Oxx

I haven't found/made any new armour or equipment in quite a while.

I think I have alchemised all the best stuff that I actually have a recipe for.

botticus

donny2112 said:
IIRC, at the time I made that, the only guys who could wear it also had availability to Sacrosanct Armour, and that was the better option, since it heals you each turn. Never really used it, as a result.
I used Sacrosanct for a while, but eventually HP was of little concern to my Warrior (odds are someone else in the party would need healing first, at which point Multiheal would take care of things), and the occasional reflect has been pretty nice -
Nimzo smacked himself in the head with Kafrizzle for 700 damage earlier today.
:lol

I think I've reached the end. Got a couple legacy bosses up to level 41, which is about as high as I can go without frustration, and I've gotten all the drops for the others. After 315 hours I think it's time to pop it out of the DS - other than daily/weekly DQVC checks.

donny2112 said:

It's stupid, but it only counts if the enemies were there from the beginning -- not from being called in as back-up.

ElFly said:

Yes. Not only that, but there are more than three caves, so how the hell would you know if you're in the right one? I hate that quest with a passion. The last drop took forever.

Oxx said:
There isn't much else on DS that can compete with DQ for the rest of the year.

I love the Layton games, but I'll probably save the third one for the cold and dark train commutes of Jan/Feb.

FF: 4 Warriors of Light is already super-cheap even before release, but I'm still on the fence.

Etrian Odyssey 3, sir.

also, I'm looking forward to 999 as well.

Oxx

I had EO3 pre-ordered for the longest time, but I got cold feet and cancelled it. I haven't played any of the EO games and DQ continues to take up the vast majority of my time.

Top Bottom